Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Amouage Journey Man: mish-mash

I find Amouage Journey (men's and women's) as a joke - put good materials no matter how and no matter why. Here is the result - new amouage. Red, blue, shining, transparent, white, black, etc.

Luca Turin called TF Purple Patchouli a potpourri scent. He was right. However it's a weird and interesting potpourri with much character. In contrast Amouage makes almost exact clones of their previous scents - harsh, heavy on woods, rich in unidentifiable layers and resins.

The only superb Amouage is anti-amouage - Reflection for Women by M. Roucel. Splash of water and dazzling sunlight.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Default Re: Amouage Journey Man: mish-mash

Have you tried it?........... If so then a coherent analysis of why would make your reasons understandably. Which is not the case from reading what you have written.

Sorry you don't like the house of Amouage. You don't have to buy their fragrances.

There ... happily every after

Interesting, it got quite a good review here: http://www.kafkaesqueblog.com/2014/0...ery-splendour/

Basenotes Junkie

I'm planning on buying it anyway, for the namesake

If it's good, then so much the better. I can always use more Amouage in my collection.

Thanks for the write up. I was planning on giving it a try, but the more recent Amouage scents have not impressed me. I don't have high expectations, but maybe i'll be surprised.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    I find Amouage Journey (men's and women's) as a joke - put good materials no matter how and no matter why. Here is the result - new amouage. Red, blue, shining, transparent, white, black, etc.

Luca Turin called TF Purple Patchouli a potpourri scent. He was right. However it's a weird and interesting potpourri with much character. In contrast Amouage makes almost exact clones of their previous scents - harsh, heavy on woods, rich in unidentifiable layers and resins.

The only superb Amouage is anti-amouage - Reflection for Women by M. Roucel. Splash of water and dazzling sunlight.
    Aside from Memoir Man, I find majority of their Man fragrances are jokes. And they're no stranger to borrowing/cloning creations of other houses or even their own

Reflection Man - Everyone knows that it's the reflection of Le Male
    Fate Man - A Rose 31 with no rose
    Interlude Man - Memoir Man with a tribute to the tween gourmand section of Bath & Body Works
    Ciel Man - Unbranded peach scented hairspray
    Lyric Man - Unbranded rose scented shampoo
    Gold Man - Dried spit of someone who has not brush his teeth in days lol

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Gold Man - Dried spit of someone who has not brush his teeth in days lol
    Yes -- I think this was what Amouage were aiming for here

Journey Man -- even the name sounds uber cheesy

Where and when did you get samples of Journey Man & Woman to try - is it available where you are or did you receive pre-release reviewer samples?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Haven't seen it in my area yet, but as with all Amouages, have to at least try it when I see it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm very skeptical that the OP has tried Journey Man, and I'm also confused as to what point was being made.

Though I find the more recent offerings (after Memoir) to be less interesting than earlier ones, I am looking forward to trying Journey Man; it sounds like it has potential.

I don't agree that all Amouage smell the same, though there are some "house accords" that turn up with different supporters.

I am also wondering if the OP has actually smelled it; is it available anywhere?
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Of course, I smelled Journey yesterday in Vilnius (not from samples, but bottles)! In a very beautiful niche perfume boutique "Creme de la Creme" which has lots of niche brands, including Frederic Malle, Serge Lutens, etc.
    The decline of Amouage started since 2010 - Amouage Honor (both man and woman). Further on the worse.
    I still respect the first Amouage scents, which were different and original, i.e. Gold (man, woman), Dia (man, woman), Jubiliation (woman and especially man are simply fantastic), Reflection (man and woman). Lyric man was quite nice rose with a dreamy incense note, women - too fecal. Ubar - very good.
    Memoir Woman was a copy of Gaultier2 with expensive ingredients. Gaultier2 smelled much better and more conceptual..
    Honor Man was a copy of Chanel Allure Edition Blanche. Honor Women - trivial white floral (Madonna's Truth and Dare is much better and interesting).

The last ones which I really liked were Epic Man and Woman. Epic Man - the best masculine scent you can find. The man should smell like a man (if he wants)! Nowadays perfumery goes towards feminisation of masculine perfumes. Current reformulations of Givenchy Gentelman, Yatagan, Azzaro pour Homme are caricatures of the originals. The mainstream masculine scents are too sweet. So if you want to smell manly, Epic Man is one of the best choices.
    Epic Woman is a masterpiece. It is ugly, scary, smells of some night mare or even Death (the official commercial for Epic Women represents the scent very good). And it really smells reddish green. I find it utterly original and unwearable (like Secretion Magnifique).

Opus collection, sorry, stinks. Opus III was a copy of discontinued Guerlain Iris Ganache (or Guerlain Insolence). Even Cavallier's iris - Opus V was a disappointment.

If you start to launch a new perfume every 3 months, the result is inevitably bad.

p.s. I could say, that Tom Ford scents, the same as Amouage, becomes worse and worse - nothing new or staggering as it was in 2009 - Noir de Noir, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Velvet Gardenia..
    Have you smelled, for example, recent Rive d'Ambre? Is it a joke? Ombre de Hyacinth? Muscs? It's irrelevant scents. Even Cafe Rose in comparison with Noir de Noir is total unfortunate excess.

By Kilian. Perfumery as an art. Hahahaha...Especially such scents as Water Caligraphy or the newest Imperial Tea - a cup of green tea. No more no less. It's not even a perfume. It might equally sell like WC freshener.

Robert Piguet - new 10? scents...Nothing to smell..No one compares to Bandit, Fracas, Visa. Instead of 10 sketches they should create one good scent.
    Last edited by DreamerII; 13th May 2014 at 10:46 AM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I wanted to sample it but the Amouage outlet in Dubai duty free said it wasn't out until next month. Interesting that you found bottles of it.
    (did get samples of Opus VIII though)
    http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/13449822&t=totry&s=n

The decline of Amouage started since 2010 - Amouage White (both man and woman).
    What are you referring to as Amouage White? They don't have any releases by that name? Perhaps Honor?

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    What are you referring to as Amouage White? They don't have any releases by that name? Perhaps Honor?
    I think he was referring to the appearance of the bottles. So, Amouage White is most probably Honour.

Honor Man was a copy of Chanel Allure Edition Blanche.
    Eh??? How do you work that out? Totally different

Basenotes Junkie

Cant say I agree with your analysis of most of the Amouage fragrances, but then again - I own them, so I might be biased myself.

I'm curious as how you find Honor even close to Chanel Allure Edition Blanche. They're worlds apart in my book. Same with Fate Man and Rose 31.

I just ordered Journey Man and Woman (mostly for my girlfriend) to try out. Can't get Amouage in Norway anyways, so sampling is all I'll do at the moment. To add - I like a good chunk of the normal Amouages (never tried the Opus series) but some I don't really care for, like Interlude Man.

Still looking forward to trying out Journey, and hoping it can satisfy my craving for peppery scents. Epic is a strong contender (as you mention) to a great peppery masculine fragrance. I still want more, though - MORE PEPPER!

All in all, an interesting analysis. I don't agree with everything, but it's always nice getting a different view on a house and their releases.

I respect the Amouage house and they get a lot of love on basenotes. For myself though I found the older scents were the only ones that were FBW. Gold man, Silver EDP, and Dia man. Lyric got close but the rest while all nice in their own way didn't justify their price.

Jubilation XXV? Epic Man? Memoir Man? Homage? Tribute?

All of those smoke Gold, Dia and Silver.

Basenotes Plus

He doesn't like it. I love amouage as a brand, but they're not exempt from criticism. I'll try the new one if it makes it to the states n will be glad if I am able to disagree but there is a chance that his criticism is spot on
    Current rotation:

Ciel Man
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    L'Homme
    Scandal Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Jubilation XXV? Epic Man? Memoir Man? Homage? Tribute?

All of those smoke Gold, Dia and Silver.

I agree. I also think Lyric and Opus VI are exponentially better than Gold, Dia and Silver...

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    He doesn't like it. I love amouage as a brand, but they're not exempt from criticism....
    Well said.

I have and love most of the Men's range, except Ciel, Honour and Fate. Not everyone will like them, but i dont think the quality of the range can be knocked.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Of course, I smelled Journey yesterday in Vilnius (not from samples, but bottles)! In a very beautiful niche perfume boutique "Creme de la Creme" which has lots of niche brands, including Frederic Malle, Serge Lutens, etc.
    The decline of Amouage started since 2010 - Amouage Honor (both man and woman). Further on the worse.
    I still respect the first Amouage scents, which were different and original, i.e. Gold (man, woman), Dia (man, woman), Jubiliation (woman and especially man are simply fantastic), Reflection (man and woman). Lyric man was quite nice rose with a dreamy incense note, women - too fecal. Ubar - very good.
    Memoir Woman was a copy of Gaultier2 with expensive ingredients. Gaultier2 smelled much better and more conceptual..
    Honor Man was a copy of Chanel Allure Edition Blanche. Honor Women - trivial white floral (Madonna's Truth and Dare is much better and interesting).

The last ones which I really liked were Epic Man and Woman. Epic Man - the best masculine scent you can find. The man should smell like a man (if he wants)! Nowadays perfumery goes towards feminisation of masculine perfumes. Current reformulations of Givenchy Gentelman, Yatagan, Azzaro pour Homme are caricatures of the originals. The mainstream masculine scents are too sweet. So if you want to smell manly, Epic Man is one of the best choices.
    Epic Woman is a masterpiece. It is ugly, scary, smells of some night mare or even Death (the official commercial for Epic Women represents the scent very good). And it really smells reddish green. I find it utterly original and unwearable (like Secretion Magnifique).

Opus collection, sorry, stinks. Opus III was a copy of discontinued Guerlain Iris Ganache (or Guerlain Insolence). Even Cavallier's iris - Opus V was a disappointment.

If you start to launch a new perfume every 3 months, the result is inevitably bad.

p.s. I could say, that Tom Ford scents, the same as Amouage, becomes worse and worse - nothing new or staggering as it was in 2009 - Noir de Noir, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Velvet Gardenia..
    Have you smelled, for example, recent Rive d'Ambre? Is it a joke? Ombre de Hyacinth? Muscs? It's irrelevant scents. Even Cafe Rose in comparison with Noir de Noir is total unfortunate excess.

By Kilian. Perfumery as an art. Hahahaha...Especially such scents as Water Caligraphy or the newest Imperial Tea - a cup of green tea. No more no less. It's not even a perfume. It might equally sell like WC freshener.

Robert Piguet - new 10? scents...Nothing to smell..No one compares to Bandit, Fracas, Visa. Instead of 10 sketches they should create one good scent.
    I can't disagree. I love all the early Tom Ford, but i really feel like he's losing his creative grip on the line. Kilian in my opinion is also slipping down the same slope. Amouage has been a tricky house for me. I don't like the Opus collection. I absolutely love Interlude Man. Epic, JXXV and Memoir are the other 3 that i own. Thats it for me. I really hated Fate.

For those who have tried it: I like Fate man, Epic man, and Honour man. -Will I like Journey man?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    For those who have tried it: I like Fate man, Epic man, and Honour man. -Will I like Journey man?
    Tough to say. I like Fate and Epic quite a bit myself, but didn't care for Journey, at least not on the paper strip (I'd be happy to test it on skin some time). It's got a sort of higher-pitched wood quality, with the szechwan pepper no doubt contributing to the effect. Sort of bitter from what I recall. Really the only thing to do is test for yourself, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    Tough to say. I like Fate and Epic quite a bit myself, but didn't care for Journey, at least not on the paper strip (I'd be happy to test it on skin some time). It's got a sort of higher-pitched wood quality, with the szechwan pepper no doubt contributing to the effect. Sort of bitter from what I recall. Really the only thing to do is test for yourself, of course.
    Yeah, but I don't know where to get a sample yet..

Basenotes Junkie

Yeah, but I don't know where to get a sample yet..
    surrender to chance got it. If you stop by me with that Amouage Honour bottle we never seem to meet over, ill let you have the sample after ive tried it, Oslo. I ordered both the male and female version.

I'm not really expecting to like this one. I have pretty much disliked or not cared for: Interlude Man, Beloved Man, Honor Man, Fate Man. In fact Memoir Man was that last Amouage that I liked outside the Opus series. There has just been notes that have rubbed me the wrong way like Oregano, overload of cumin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I'm not really expecting to like this one. I have pretty much disliked or not cared for: Interlude Man, Beloved Man, Honor Man, Fate Man. In fact Memoir Man was that last Amouage that I liked outside the Opus series. There has just been notes that have rubbed me the wrong way like Oregano, overload of cumin.
    I didn't like the oregano in Interlude eighter. I love the cumin in Fate on the other hand ;-)

I can totally understand not liking the cumin/immortelle in Fate Man or the oregano in the opening of Interlude Man. I've come to really like both, but either way, I respect Amouage for not shying away from divisive notes and distinct signatures. Journey Man may fall into this category as well -- goodness knows a few of my favorite Amouages I didn't care for the first few times -- but I'd need to test it properly on skin a few times to know.

Possibly, but naturally you need to sample first. I'm a big fan of Epic man, indifferent to Fate Man and I thought Honour Man was quite nice.
    I didn't rate Journey man from the initial sampling, although I did like a a bit better second time around. If you like scents like Encre Noire, Black Aoud and Knize Ten, then you may like Journey Man.

Possibly, but naturally you need to sample first. I'm a big fan of Epic man, indifferent to Fate Man and I thought Honour Man was quite nice.
    I didn't rate Journey man from the initial sampling, although I did like a a bit better second time around. If you like scents like Encre Noire, Black Aoud and Knize Ten, then you may like Journey Man.
    Have only tried Knize Ten, and that fuel smell wasn't for me..

Samples are available on Lucky Scent starting today !

I ordered :

Journey Man
    Opus V111
    Chypre Palatin
    Fate Man
    Fate Woman

Lets hope we have a winner !

No updates?

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    No updates?
    My samples come next week. I look forward to trying them since Amouage is one of the last hopes for me in this industry.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    No updates?
    Guess I didn't write anything yet. I've only given them cursory sniffs so far (tried them a couple of weeks ago). Journey Man is a bit mediocre—feels a tad old-school, but it's somewhat anonymous. Journey Woman is leagues better, although not quite my cup of tea. It's essentially a green tea-ish thing with some culinary herbs and is far more interesting than the male counterpart. I'll revisit both, but my first impression was "competent but uninspired."

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Samples are available on Lucky Scent starting today !

I ordered :

Journey Man
    Opus V111
    Chypre Palatin
    Fate Man
    Fate Woman

Lets hope we have a winner !
    I'm looking forward to hear your opinion on Fate man. One of my Amouage favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Guess I didn't write anything yet. I've only given them cursory sniffs so far (tried them a couple of weeks ago). Journey Man is a bit mediocre—feels a tad old-school, but it's somewhat anonymous. Journey Woman is leagues better, although not quite my cup of tea. It's essentially a green tea-ish thing with some culinary herbs and is far more interesting than the male counterpart. I'll revisit both, but my first impression was "competent but uninspired."
    Do you think Honour man is a more interesting scent than Journey man?

They're both pretty much in the same league, as being at the same time pleasant and interesting, yet forgettable.

I'm looking forward to hear your opinion on Fate man. One of my Amouage favourites.

Do you think Honour man is a more interesting scent than Journey man?
    In all honesty, I don't recall Honour Man well enough to say. It's been too long since I smelled it.

Received my sample today, and first impression is... -I'm not particular impressed. I've had it on my arm now for 3 hours, and to me it's just mediocre. In opposition to Fate, which was a WOW scent for me at first sniff, Journey man doesn't give me that experience at all. It reminds me quite a bit of Interude, which I don't like at all. Well, now I have tried it, and I will place both Honour and Fate above this one in originality, complexity and artistic performance. With a line that concist Honour, Interlude, and Fate, I just don't see the point with this new release from Amouage..
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 10th July 2014 at 06:28 PM.

I ordered samples yesterday of Opus VIII, Fate man, Fate woman and Xerjoff Zafar just because I have been so curious about it for so long. I can't wait to try all of them.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I received my sample today as well.

I like the scent for a moment but it doesn't wow me either. I get a dark earthy root green with a generic dandy inspiration on top of it.

Mazzolari Man comes to mind.

The dry down is uneventful and very typical of most Amouage fragrances. Sorry I am not good enough with the notes but if you have smelled at least 2 Amouages you will understand what I mean when you smell it.

I welcome a dark earthy root green with a masculine edge but this didn't develop on me at all. The moments I did like it sat too heavy on my skin. I need more projection.

A rather lame execution for an otherwise decent idea.

No Sale.

I also received FATE man. I am reminded of Hermes Un Jardin Mediterrane but instead of a fig note I smell black licorice. Imagine standing in a mediterranean garden during the early morning dew with a shot of ouzo. Not my thing really and the dry down was.....(drum roll)....the same as it is for Journeyman. Performance on my skin is extremely mediocre.
    Last edited by thatmakesscents; 10th July 2014 at 11:25 PM.

Sampling this one right now. I've had it on for about an hour and it smells like GPH1 mixed with POaL to me. Actually it also kind of reminds me of Jubilation XXV with pepper thrown in. While pleasant, I can see this getting really boring really quickly. Once a week during the fall or evening for me.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

It's official then, another dud by Christopher Chong.

I am not willing to call Journey a dud until I personally test it repeatedly. Sometimes with scents it takes a while for the scent to "click" with me. For example, I got in on a 20mL split of Fate man and initially it seemed unimpressive, a little weird and somewhat weak. But after being unsure what to wear a couple of days ago I pulled out Fate again, and guess what? I really liked it! It had an unique smell that intrigued me, lasted nicely for 12 hours (and I could still smell it on my arm as a skin scent the next morning) and garnered several complements throughout the day. It seems that sometimes it takes a while for a scent to make sense. It is fun reading the various views but in the end I am going to sample this one pretty thouroughly, perhaps over several months before I make a decission on whether to buy it. So far with Amouge I have not been terribly disapointed. Sometimes there are notes that don't work for me, but their concoctions always seem to be of high quality and impressive in some way.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Mr. Chong will not be pleased his newest creation is receiving such a cold response!

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Mr. Chong will not be pleased his newest creation is receiving such a cold response!
    He should be getting used to it by now.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Basenotes Junkie

I've sampled Journey Man about four times so far, and each time I have liked it a whole lot. Might it be I'm just into a period where I really want more spices and in particular pepper from my perfumes? Honour isn't peppery enough for me - too warm and vague even though it's a good fragrance.

It seems Journey hit that switch with me, and I also like the dark fruits, leather and tobacco mixed with the sharp sizchuan pepper accord I really love from cooking.

Amouages strongest release? Probably not - but I find it neither dull nor bad. I see myself picking this up whenever I feel like it, probably closer to fall / winter to compliment Fate (which I also really like). I just suspect you might really have to crave pepper to like this scent. Who knows - I'm less experienced than some of the posters her as well, so it could just might be my undeveloped nose

I found this one enjoyable after testing it out for the first time yesterday, the forefront sichuan pepper accord isn't something I can relate to another fragrance. Thus far I would say this is adequate.

Testing this one out again today before I give my sample away. I'll admit it's growing on me, albeit slightly.

I think the opening is definitely the best part, to give you a reference the opening is very lemon/bergamot zesty.
    Imagine lemon scented Pledge furniture polish, loaded with pepper (not as bad as it sounds!).

I'll also add that it's quite a melancholic fragrance,despite the bright zest in the opening, there is something quite dark and depressing about it.
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 11th July 2014 at 10:35 AM.

I don't think Journey man is a bad fragrance, I liked it, but it just feels too commercially focused in that it would be hard to outright dislike but doesn't seem to have interesting/challenging facets to raise it over the interest level of common designer/generic releases. Perhaps great ingredients, but it feels like the child of much consumer focus groups, the lowest common denominator if you will. It's very approachable and will probably be popular with the non-perfumista, walk in of the street and want an 'exclusive' perfume kind of customer. It feels the same in this approach as PD Black. Sure it will be a great sales winner for Amouage in this respect.

edit: One other thing about JM that bothered me is it's unbalanced performance. The first two hours are at foghorn levels, I was even a little self conscious when I wore it out and about, it just screams. Then suddenly poof, and it pulls right back to a skin scent for the next 8 hours.

Still think Journey Woman is great, after more testing, and for me at least the Journey name feels deserved in this case. I found the progression/stages in JW to be well thought out and engaging, from the osmanthus/apricot/heliotrope opening to the slightly bitter dusty mimosa in the heart and the soft leathery dried fruit of the drydown. The wonderfuly inspired slightly synthy tart apricot note that runs though all stages acts as a wonderful unifying element helping to ground the whole and stopping it from getting too sweet/rich at any one time. The more I've worn it the more I'm liking it, but as for anything it'll have it's fans and detractors based on individual preferences, but it's hard to argue that it's either poorly conceived or executed.
    Last edited by Mick_Trick; 11th July 2014 at 11:29 AM.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Testing this one out again today before I give my sample away. I'll admit it's growing on me, albeit slightly.

I think the opening is definitely the best part, to give you a reference the opening is very lemon/bergamot zesty.
    Imagine lemon scented Pledge furniture polish, loaded with pepper (not as bad as it sounds!).

I'll also add that it's quite a melancholic fragrance,despite the bright zest in the opening, there is something quite dark and depressing about it.
    Agreed. Tried it for the second time today, and it's not a bad fragrance, but comparing to rest of the Amouage line it's just average. As you said, the opening is the best part, while the dry down doesn't impress much.

Haha, that sounds good to me!

I've only worn my sample once so far. I found it more spicy and peppery in the beginning, while the bergamot slipped in later. I liked it this first wearing, but as Mick_Trick mentioned, it dies down to a skin scent pretty quickly and I was straining to pick it up at all after a few hours. I don't necessarily consider that a deal breaker, but given that the other Amouages I've worn have been more robust, I couldn't help but remember the talk of Amouage trying to come into compliance with IFRA standards, and wondered if everything is going to be "watered down" now.

In contrast, I wore my sample of Fate Man again a few days prior, and that packs much more of a punch, and to me is much more distinctive. YCMV (your cumin may vary).

Too soon to dismiss Journey Man, I'll give it another try or two, but from all accounts, Woman is the better... glad I have a sample of that to try, as well.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

For a very long time, I've found an Amouage men scent that I don't like. On my skin, Journey is like a son of Epic and Interlude. It has strong woody and leather note which I found in Epic and Interlude. Journey is an wearble version of Epic and Interlude. I prefer Journey Woman. I think I should give Journey Men a second chance to see if I can change my view.

Sounds like they should have called it Journey to Nowhere Man.

Amouage is a very polarizing house for me. I love Epic Man and Jubilation. Ciel smells like a laundry detergent, Lyric is too saturated with rose, and others I've sampled just don't move me. I'm curious about Journey, but if it's a confused mishmash of other fragrances then I definitely won't bother.

When a house -like Amouage- has so many releases it's normal that people start bashing it.

I will still give it a fair chance.

Why So Serious?

I thought I would really like this because some have linked it to Fate Man. But i was utterly disappointed.
    I was actually very impressed with the top notes, spicy pepper + sweet tobacco, one of the best top notes combos I've encountered for an Amoauge. Unfortunately, things went downhill fast from there. The body has turned completely into soapy incense, and it didn't change much from there. It was just bland and totally forgettable. I much prefer Fate Man and Opus VII from last year's release to this year's Journey Man and Opus VIII.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Byerley
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Is it only me, or do anyone else notice a "hint" of Yatagan in Journey?

Is it only me, or do anyone else notice a "hint" of Yatagan in Journey?
    I referred to it as in the same vain as Mazzolari Man which to me is a Yatagan without the celery note. All of this is great but Journey Man's piss poor dry down ruined it for me.