Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Dirty Mediterranean Summer

Also another vote for Live Jazz by Yves-Saint Laurent to me it's like being in a vegetable garden (mint, herbs, some fruit... everything!). It's perfect for summer in my opinion!

Also one which no one has yet mentioned...

Moschino - Uomo? It's a herbal warm floral, very Italian and different IMO
    Last edited by tempest moon; 13th May 2014 at 05:19 PM.

After reading your possible interest for Dior Eau Sauvage (and its performance concern) & Azzaro Pour Homme, I recommend you sample these if possible :

Eau Sauvage Extreme.jpg

Azzaro PH L'Eau.jpg

Dior ESE will give you most of the original DNA...with better performance.

Azzaro PH L'Eau, IMHO, is a much better scent than the original current formulation...and a much better summer scent.

Regards,
    LJD
    Currently wearing: Lalique White by Lalique

Eau d'Hermes
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by tempest moon View Post
    Also another vote for Live Jazz by Yves-Saint Laurent to me it's like being in a vegetable garden (mint, herbs, some fruit... everything!). It's perfect for summer in my opinion!

Also one which no one has yet mentioned...

Moschino - Uomo? It's a herbal warm floral, very Italian and different IMO
    I see that Live Jazz has quite some vibe here! I don't know if it could give me some wood/earth feeeling too but I will have to try it nevertheless! Uomo? is not a bad frag for me but I feel that it is too sweet/floral for what I am looking now. Probably Moschino Friends is closer to my needs but I have only read negative reviews so far.

Quote Originally Posted by LJD View Post
    After reading your possible interest for Dior Eau Sauvage (and its performance concern) & Azzaro Pour Homme, I recommend you sample these if possible :

Eau Sauvage Extreme.jpg

Azzaro PH L'Eau.jpg

Azzaro PH L'Eau, IMHO, is a much better scent than the original current formulation...and a much better summer scent.

Regards,
    LJD
    I don't really exclude Eau Sauvage I just hope that I'm not going far away in the notes spectrum from my initial thoughts! The original version has always a frag that I respect but I was afraid that it won't fit me. I have only tested Eau Sauvage Parfum which was interesting but not so close to my idea. The Extreme lists Rosemary and Basil which are so Italian scents so I should find out! Probably I will end up testing all the Azzaro PH line since everybody still loves it!

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Eau d'Hermes
    Thanks I will keep that as another vote for the classic!

I agree with the previous suggestions of YSL Pour Homme (not the current stuff in the square black bottle, you can still get the original red topped bottles at discounters) and 1881 Men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks andym72 I hope that I could find something before the reformulation.
    Speaking of reformulated frags. Does anyone believe that Azzarro PH, Versace L'Homme or even Declaration remain faithful to the original scent, I have never tried the originals so for me there will be no real difference, I just need it in order to judge the reviews I'm reading!

I'm gonna go for Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee as others above have. It's Brilliant.

Thanks jimmysmellworld, I'm still a bit curious if L'Eau Boisee would be too "clean" for my idea but it seems definitely one must try!

So far and after all your kind suggestions I have modified my shortlist and I have included

Azzaro Pour Homme / L'Eau
    Cartier Declaration
    Cerruti 1881
    Hermes Terre d'Hermes
    Versace L'Homme
    YSL Live Jazz
    YSL Pour Homme

Special mention for Eau Sauvage variations since I'm not sure if fits. Hopefully tomorrow I will go through a first round of testings so if you have any other suggestions that would be great!

I've done some further research and I've tried some of the frags mentioned above:

Cartier Declaration unfortunately no bitter orange for me, I got cumin and again cumin and nothing more, I only sensed some orange at the last stage of dry-down. It lasted just 4,5-5hrs on me.

Hermes Terre d'Hermes I liked it, quite a lot. TBH I couldn't figure out exactly what I smelled since it completely vanished in less than 4hrs. Probably there is no good synergy with my skin.

Versace L'Homme Still a love/hate relationship so it is out of the game once again.

Azzaro Pour Homme has one of the WORST openings I've ever smelled. I almost hated it immediately and I'm not that sensitive. After that awful first minutes the anise took everything under control and it became interesting, a bit dated but rounded. I would prefer less anise since it reminds me a Greek beverage! Unfortunately only bits of citruses were around. What really won me over was the dry-down, subtle and somehow fresh. 7hrs later Azzaro still exists here, not as powerful as before but you definitely know it's there, probably I could get a couple more hours of this.

Azzaro Pour Homme L'Eau Great great opening, fresh bright and a bit soapy but luckily this soap goes away soon. While the PH has the anise working on, L'Eau uses citruses and feels somehow green, much more up-to-date feeling than PH. The dry-down is almost identical to PH but a touch lower and more green (vetiver?). Light and fresh but the maximum longevity is 6,5-7hrs, not bad for 2 sprays a fresh summer frag,

I'm leaning towards Azzaro at the moment, but I don't really know which one of those two. I wish L'Eau structure could work as PH does. I've seen some positive and neutral reviews on L'Eau but looks like it is not a success. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by vsls; 16th May 2014 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LJD View Post

Eau Sauvage Extreme.jpg

Azzaro PH L'Eau.jpg

Regards,
    LJD
    I have finally tracked down Dior ESE. I liked it but it seems not exactly what I'm looking for, too much barbershop feeling. Great logevity but not my ideal candidate. Strangely I can't find anywhere to test any of pre-2005 YSL fragrances so I will miss Live Jazz from my options.

I am really struggling between Azzaro PH and Azzaro PH L'Eau. There is no possibility to buy a vintage/intense version of PH so we are talking strictly about current formulation. So I really really enjoy the silage and the excellent dry-down of PH but I can feel fatigued by the anise in the first hour. On the other hand I enjoy the whole opening of L'Eau and the dry-down is quite similar to my nose but it lacks silage and duration also I'm not a fan of the soapy note but I could "tolerate" that part . I would really like a L'Eau Intense! Does anyone believe that L'Eau is better exclusively for hot Mediterranean summer?

Quote Originally Posted by vsls View Post
    I've read excellent reviews on Annick Goutal series and especially Eau du Sud that could fit my bill but they cost around €100-120 through the official site. No retailers close to me either.
    I find this fragrance VERY much reminds me of a Mediterranean summer. It's not particularly popular, which doesn't mean it's undesirable but just a bit off mainstream interest; makes for some bargains. I was able to pick up a partially used 100ml bottle off "that auction site" for more than 50% off retail. You might want to start keeping an eye out for another.

Quote Originally Posted by vsls View Post
    Cartier Declaration unfortunately no bitter orange for me, I got cumin and again cumin and nothing more, I only sensed some orange at the last stage of dry-down. It lasted just 4,5-5hrs on me.

Hermes Terre d'Hermes I liked it, quite a lot. TBH I couldn't figure out exactly what I smelled since it completely vanished in less than 4hrs. Probably there is no good synergy with my skin.

Versace L'Homme Still a love/hate relationship so it is out of the game once again.
    Cartier Declaration has to be one of the more polarizing fragrances out there. I only pick up on the citrus quality when sprayed on paper. When sprayed on my skin, it's exactly as you say -- a strong cumin/caraway/coriander blast that makes me feel like I've been in an Asian Indian kitchen.

Terre d'Hermes EdT is a nice good quality fragrance. Very pleasant, easy wearing. A little pricey for what you get, though. I'm curious about the EdP--haven't sampled it yet, heard it's a little different with slightly better longevity.

Versace L'Homme is best had in the 1st or 2nd formulation. Forget about the current. It is NOT representative of the original, and should just be ignored. I have both 1st and 2nd, which are VERY close. The 2nd is a little more enduring and affordable. You can still find bottles of it fairly often, if you know what to look for. Gorgeous fragrance.
    Last edited by cytherian; 21st May 2014 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    I find this fragrance VERY much reminds me of a Mediterranean summer. It's not particularly popular, which doesn't mean it's undesirable but just a bit off mainstream interest; makes for some bargains. I was able to pick up a partially used 100ml bottle off "that auction site" for more than 50% off retail. You might want to start keeping an eye out for another.

Cartier Declaration has to be one of the more polarizing fragrances out there. I only pick up on the citrus quality when sprayed on paper. When sprayed on my skin, it's exactly as you say -- a strong cumin/caraway/coriander blast that makes me feel like I've been in an Asian Indian kitchen.

Terre d'Hermes EdT is a nice good quality fragrance. Very pleasant, easy wearing. A little pricey for what you get, though. I'm curious about the EdP--haven't sampled it yet, heard it's a little different with slightly better longevity.

Versace L'Homme is best had in the 1st or 2nd formulation. Forget about the current. It is NOT representative of the original, and should just be ignored. I have both 1st and 2nd, which are VERY close. The 2nd is a little more enduring and affordable. You can still find bottles of it fairly often, if you know what to look for. Gorgeous fragrance.
    Thanks for the input! I had to exclude fragrances that I can't sample especially after these quite different results I get from those mentioned above. So for that reason L'Eau du Sud would be a miss. I also found it in a reasonable price online but I will have to wait until I can sample it somewhere.

I must agree on Declaration that on paper was just what I was looking for but on my skin zero citrus for me either!

I have sampled the TdH EdP it seems certainly more powerful but I didn't go any further since the price difference is quite steep for me, worth a try though.

Yesterday I sampled Versace again, current black box formulation. Extremely powerful but such a bad scent for me. There were some notes in the 4hr of dry-down which I liked but definitely I can't stand it. It was also the only one that worked 12-14h, really impressive for current formulations, I wish the smell was better.

Nice to have your follow-up, vsls !

I can relate 200% with your impressions about current Azzaro PH. Much, too much anise unbalances the composition...and I really do love anise !
    There are certainly worse reformulations today, but IMO they failed with that one...and I simply can't take the long time it takes to get to the dry-down.

So, yes, I say "bravo!" to Azzaro for releasing L'Eau. Much Better & Modern take on the original....and a very good underrated fragrance for warm/hot weather....I'm sure the performance can be improved by spraying clothes, layering multiple sprays or re-applying when needed. it can be had for bargain nowadays, making it easy on the purse to be a tad more liberal with the sprays

Regards,
    LJD
    Currently wearing: Lalique White by Lalique

Thanks LJD. I feel better that my impressions on PH were not so far away from reality since I'm not an expert at all of any Azzaro formulations. I can't say that I hate anise, it exists in some of my favorite drinks, but I don't really want to smell like that for about 1-1.5h till the dry-down.

About L'Eau I feel much better, it also has my "missing" citruses, and since I've tested it with PH at the same time I must say that I couldn't easily find many differences between them during the dry-down. Just the projection of PH is much more prominent and L'Eau has a green "sparkle" which was nice. I hope that the longevity could be improved since I've only sprayed twice on my wrist and I got 6+hours of it. The best so far for a citrus fragrance for me.