Code of Conduct

Default Do you apply lotion before putting on fragrance?

It seems that a lot of people tend to favor putting on lotion before applying cologne/perfume, so what do you do? Right now i'm using Trader Joes Unscented Extra Dry Lotion but I find that it has a slight herbal/floral scent that kind of bugs me...

Default Re: Do you apply lotion before putting on fragrance?

I do but not for the purpose of prolonging a fragrance. If it just happens to, so much the better.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I was using Aveeno (unscented) for a while but the smell (although it is unscented, it is not scentless) and also feel of the thin film it left behind were starting to bug me, so now it is just me and my skin.

Basenotes Plus

I love the aveeno. I use it everyday to soften my skin. Works wonders. I never thought it affected my fragrance though
    Current rotation:

Ciel Man
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    L'Homme
    Scandal Pour Homme

Always, and it helps a lot with performance on my skin. I use unscented. Intensive Repair Vaseline if you're wondering which brand.
    Last edited by Jridgen; 13th May 2014 at 06:54 AM.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Not so much specifically before applying a fragrance, but using lotions regularly anyway and since it tends to usually overlap with the times I use fragrances, there is a slight increase in longevity noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I do but not for the purpose of prolonging a fragrance. If it just happens to, so much the better.
    Same here. I use it anyways, especially in Canadian winters.

I do not like lotion, that's too sticky

I use a pretty default Nivea face and body lotion. I have dry skin and I don't want it peeling off. As Hednic said though, I rarely use it with the thought of getting better longevity from the fragrance I'm wearing. Unless I'm wearing something with very poor longevity.

I don't really use lotion. The few times I have used lotion, I didn't really notice any increased performance - if anything probably worse - and alters the smell of the fragrance too - and not for the better.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

I use unscented body lotion and sometimes I use baby oil. Actually, the baby oil works better for my skin.

Blog Entries

I use Fragrance Free Lubriderm Daily Moisture Lotion, which has a non-greasy feel, so it's all right.

Started using unscented lotion because no fragrances seem to last very long on my skin, but I haven't found it to help scent longevity at all.

Yes, but I have very dry skin and would put it on anyway.

Sometimes but not for that specific purpose.

I use moisturizer especially when putting those great scents that have poor longevity : moisturizing skin does keep scent atleast a couple to a few hrs more but have to admit most of my scents with the exception MI and LH don't need much moisture but these last two do need help in that dept ...Besides it's a good habit to hydrate and moisturize skin just let it be hypo-allergenic and scent free (pharmacy/drugstore) or if possible obtain lotion version of same scent being applied if available but the former will save lots of Rubies or pesos$$
    Last edited by magnus611; 13th May 2014 at 05:29 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I don't really use lotion. The few times I have used lotion, I didn't really notice any increased performance - if anything probably worse - and alters the smell of the fragrance too - and not for the better.
    That's why it has to be Hypo-allergenic and scent free.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Only if my skin is dry, which is mostly in winter.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

This from Master "Nose" Roja Dove, Do's and Dont's:
    "Don't apply a matching body cream under the scent. The alcohol in the fragrance will damage the cream and stop it being as effective - the same applies in beauty, you would never use alcoholic tonner over an expensive moisturiser"
    (from the Roja Dove Haute parfumerie magazine)

Curel original, has no smell and makes my skin nice and hydrated but no oily feeling at all. Works great.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

No never.

I highly doubt that lotion will add anything perfume wearing, if not even detract from it.

for swap/sale:

Only when I know the scent I'm wearing has very poor longevity.....usually I'd just rather carry an atomizer and reapply. Like you, even unscented lotions seem to still have kind of a mild smell to them.
    Last edited by bigbz; 13th May 2014 at 07:17 PM.

I use lotion occasionally to hydrate my skin but not to enhance the performance of my fragrance.

I use plain sesame oil (not toasted sesame oil like they use in Asian cooking) immediately after showering before drying off. It's scentless, not greasy or shiny, and holds the moisture from showering in your skin for hours. I get amazing longevity from all my scents (even ones with notoriously poor longevity) and find that I can use a lot less fragrance for the initial application as well.

Another Aveeno user here. My dermatologist recommended it a few years ago, and I haven't looked back since. Although I do use the scented version, and mostly tend to spray cologne on my clothes....mostly.
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

I use Lubriderm 3-in-one for Men fragrance-free lotion and it works amazing. Recent example: I normally get 3-4 hours longevity with Chanel Allure Homme Sport. I applied lotion after a shower this morning, applied my normal amount of sprays, worked a 10 hour shift and my wife could still smell it on me when I got home. It's my go-to for my fragrances with longevity issues.

Quote Originally Posted by byandthrough View Post
    I use Lubriderm 3-in-one for Men fragrance-free lotion and it works amazing. Recent example: I normally get 3-4 hours longevity with Chanel Allure Homme Sport. I applied lotion after a shower this morning, applied my normal amount of sprays, worked a 10 hour shift and my wife could still smell it on me when I got home. It's my go-to for my fragrances with longevity issues.
    When I do wear lotion this too is the one that I choose to use. It truly is scentless

I use to wear lotion after I get out of the shower. Switched over to for a few yrs. Recently switched over to Nivea in-shower lotion.

My skin is so dry that I need to moisture daily. These in-shower body lotion are a time saver.

I use an unscented store brand lotion for my ashy-ass skin.

I do not use lotions of any kind.

Basenotes Member

I do indeed. Without a decent fragrance-free lotion (currently I'm using Whole Foods' 365 brand), my desert-dry skin will consume any scent I apply. When applied over a lotion base, I get much better longevity.

But, like everything else in this strange little hobby/passion of ours, your results may vary.

Only in the winter, my skin gets very dry in the low humidity cold Ohio winters.
    Once the weather and humidity cranks up, I don't feel the need