Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default S.O.T.D. - Tuesday, 13 May, 2014.

Hi all - have a great day!

Norma Kamali - Incense.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Tuesday, 13 May, 2014.

Hi all,

ClaireV I hope Mila is being more co-operative today. I remember spending many afternoons at a friends place baby-sitting her twins. I’d bring her dinner, do a load of washing while she napped. Do you have someone who can take over and give you a break?

Jujy and ErinK enjoy your respective dates ladies, coffee or otherwise .

I'm out to dinner with a dear friend this evening. We get together when he’s in town to eat, swear at food and commiserate on our sad state of affairs. It's always a cathartic and enjoyable evening as we understand each others crazy.

Grey Vetiver today and sampling L’Heures Folle this evening.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Basenotes Plus

Hi Everyone! In Parure EDT today, from a decant.

Wow, thanks to all the lovely mamas and aunties (Xscent!) who chimed in to offer me words of comfort yesterday and today - ComDiva, Dora, Kewart, and Xscent, you are lovely women, all of you. You gave me both comfort and perspective, Sleep deprivation is hard, but blind buying perfume in the middle of the night is a consolation - bad for the wallet but oddly comforting to the soul
    Mila was awake again for 2 and a half hours last night, and I will admit I was close to tears at one point. But then I went online and put myself in for 5mls of a Vol de Nuit extrait split, yeah, so....I felt better.

Mike - You must have been logged into my emotional brainwaves from across the ocean when you reached for the Vol de Nuit parfum Do you have that beautiful propeller bottle? What is is doing languishing and unloved at the back of the closet so that your fingers can't reach it??? I agree with you that it's a wistful scent. I would go so far as "solitary" and "melancholic", but in a nice way, of course. It is the Guerlain that is the most ME. The parfum is amazing and lasted for more than 12 hours on me.

Evangeline - so excited for you! I hope you check in on us while you are in France. Will you be doing any perfume hunting while there? My family and I are headed to the Loire Valley for our summer holidays in late June, somewhere between Tours and Orleans, so maybe we will bump into each other!

Cestrum - I laughed at the idea of you blowing out the room with AP - I bet you smelled glorious, and maybe your colleague was just telling it like it is (something smelled good) rather than commenting negatively on your sillage. How is AP, by the way? Is it herbal-resinous amber like Ambre Sultan or powdery-vanilic like Ambre 114? I love ambers, and this one is always recommended.

Bonjour Mesdames,
    Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit (1686 - 1736)
    ,,,,,,,,,,, vintage (orig. form.)

Blog Entries

Morning all!

Xscent; sounds like a fun evening, enjoy!

l'm wearing Crystal Flowers again for work today.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Good morning everyone I slept in today since I have a lateshift. Not looking forward to the walk to get there... It has started snowing again I'm seeking comfort in Addict. Need something warm and comforting today. Good luck with the dates Jujy and Erin. (( Claire ))

ClaireV, If I had internet at home when my daughters were babies, I am certain I would do the same! For me it was coffe and cake and reading... as there was no hope for sleep...

Evangeline & Twolf, how exciting!Have a wonderful time! I hope you'll find a way to be in touch!

RHM, you have such a lovely, cute kitty!

I am wearing

No 5 Eau Premiere
    , today.

Amouage Interlude Man today. The alarm clock came too quickly this morning .
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

queen of the universe

Off to work at the high school. Cabochard in its floral/leather glory provides my force field against Axe ODs and Fruit Rollups accords. Do I detect asafoetida in this most grown-up fragrances?
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Pino Silvestre today
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Tuesday, 13 May, 2014.

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Hello all. Rochas Femme vintage pdt.
    DONNA

Oudh Sensuel by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Good morning, the sun is on the water here, it's sparkly.

Keiko Meicheri Datura Blanche today.

Hello everyone!

I'm in Repetto, a little sweetie for the little sweeties.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post
    Evangeline - so excited for you! I hope you check in on us while you are in France. Will you be doing any perfume hunting while there? My family and I are headed to the Loire Valley for our summer holidays in late June, somewhere between Tours and Orleans, so maybe we will bump into each other!
    Thank you, and likewise - I'm excited for you, too! Wouldn't *that* be something? Maybe we'll recognize each other by our sotd!

Thanks cestrum, thanks *dora*! I'll have a computer and the internet, all the mod cons, but I'm really looking forward to unplugging a bit ...though I might check in occasionally just to say "bonjour" ...or perhaps "à la vôtre!" if the timing's right ...and it's always wine o'clock somewhere!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 13th May 2014 at 02:32 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

AB Spirit Silver

Sarrasins, which I like the opening of...but the dry down is all poop this time. Literally, poop. Husband sniffed it, said it smelled like burnt rubber and poop. Gross. Another Lutens that seemed promising..then goes all strange and funky. So far, the worst dry down of any Lutens, it's right up there with Miel(ferret) de Bois. Another Lutens where I smell of nasty, rodent funk or poop...is there a feral cat and it sprayed on me? I didn't notice the poop before with this scent..but it's all poop. No offense to anyone..I just don't care for several from this line.

Thanks for your wishes for the bon voyage, I was THIS close choosing ju's Cabochard as my SotD today but went with Madame Rochas instead, which I believe is a grandma to an Amouage or two. :-)

JR, I wanted to remark last week but got mentally tangled up in something else, so here goes: your KL Photo is great, I vividly remember being with someone who wore it to Dimitry Khvorostovsky's gala at Metropolitan Opera back in 1995, great fragrance.

kalli, I am with you on that particular SL, if it is of any consolation.

Have a great Tuesday, family!

LOL kalli, you're cracking me up! I'm not too big on super animalic fragrances either...here's to you Leather Oud...I've never scrubbed so frantically in my life.

Much cooler today, so I decided to go with Slumberhouse Vikt Extrait...one of my absolute favorites. Credit to ziffy for the photo I believe, I found it on Google (nice pic - not many out there of Vikt.)

Good morning everyone - wearing Montale Highness Rose today.

Hi, friends -

Hope all the dates go wonderfully, sound night's sleep occur and perpetual wine o'clock (and just being) relaxes everyone on vacation.

Ipp, you're wearing one of my favorite "wish list" scents today. Mmmmmm, you smell wonderful. Come sit next to me, will you?

Sharing the house with Dora as my SOTE in Chanel 31 Rue Camobon. Gorgeous, gorgeous stuff. I feel like Spring incarnate.

31 Rue Cambon notes include: 31, Bergamot, black pepper, patchouli, cistus labdanum and iris.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Joining the Chanel ladies today with Bois des Iles!!! Cool weather blew in last night, and there were a few snow flakes blowing around this morning, but all will calm by the time I get off work. I certainly hope so, as it would be rather odd for a May league tennis match to be snowed out!!

Basenotes Plus

Good afternoon all !. Claire, hope the little one is giving you some respite today. Having no offspring, I'm afraid I can't offer parental sympathy as a kindred spirit but can still encourage nocturnal fragrant indulgence as a therapy of sorts.

Mrs E, will Roland Garros be on your itinerary or is that a silly question ?

Le Labo Iris 39.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    kalli, I am with you on that particular SL, if it is of any consolation.
    I'll make that a trio.

Wolfie, remember your camera in The Land of the Rising Sun. I hear that the locals are fabulous, friendly, AND fragrant.

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 13th May 2014 at 03:51 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Hi all - have a great day!

Norma Kamali - Incense.
    I have a precious 10ml decant of that and occasionally pull it out just for myself. It's a touchstone of fragrance...

Today is Amouage Jubilation XXV. Even my 23 year old office assistant likes this one. I am the king of my office! lol....it does feel opulent to wear XXV.
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Basenotes Plus

Hello and best to everyone. Balmain Ambre Gris for me today.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Wearing Parfum Sacré to warm me up in this wintery cold day.

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Kristiansand New York.

Basenotes Institution

Super busy day...will talk more later.

Sandalwood by Art of Shaving (from a sample - thanks R!)

Just as I remember: woody, medicinal, simple and linear. Sometimes, that's enough.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

I'm chiming in with "Bon voyage" to Twolf -- Japan sounds fabulous!

And Evangeline, France!! I know you will have a great time! Will you come back with a Rosine?

((ClaireV)) I well recall those early months. My daughter would not nap (I didn't know it was even possible for babies not to nap) and I was totally worn out. The phase passes, but it's tough to go through at the time.

Today it's a bit cooler, a relief from the heat and humidity of the past few days. It's not that it was so terrible here, but we just aren't acclimated to it yet.

I'm wearing Diabolo Rose.

Central Park by Bond No.9... My Wife always compliments this fragrance... This is one of Her faves!!!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

(((30 Roses))) for making moments with Mom.
    (((Jujy))) for remembering moments with Mom and Rachel.
    (((Claire))) for sleephood interrupted.
    (((Mike))) for encountering ex with fiancé in tow.
    Safe travel wishes for Twolf and Evangeline.

Welcome Papaya, fellow Marni-ophile.

Same ol’, same ol’: Throwing mulch, moving stones, transplanting native plants and wearing … Bois de Violette, Bois de Violette, Bois de Violette.
    Last edited by Quarry; 13th May 2014 at 10:49 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Hello - me again!

I'm in Dior New Look 1947 this afternoon ...y'all have a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Mrs E, will Roland Garros be on your itinerary or is that a silly question ?
    Oh, I'd say that's a really good question, if not altogether obvious considering the timing, hehe. But yes, actually, we *will* be there for a few days ...yaaaaay! Tony scored us a couple of grounds passes for the opening rounds, so no Chatrier or Lenglen for us, but that's completely fine with me; I always have more fun at the outer courts anyway, and I actually prefer the early rounds, too - more tennis to see! Needless to say, we're over the freakin' moon!

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    And Evangeline, France!! I know you will have a great time! Will you come back with a Rosine?
    Thanks 30R! Well, I'm not necessarily planning any major perfume shopping, but I won't go out of my way to avoid it, either, lol. I would still like a bottle of your lovely Diabolo Rose though, I must admit ...I guess we'll see!

Thanks, Quarry!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Hey, everyone! I always love when I score a seat next to Evangeline.

I missed my usual morning post - work is really crazy right now. It's more interesting when it's crazy, but I miss checking in with you all in the morning!

It's wine o'clock here, after a post-work workout. I'm reeeally sleepy tonight. My new friend was here last night until past my usual bedtime. The great news is that we're hitting it off. We sort of view life in the same way, which is really, really nice - it's difficult to find people with whom you truly connect on sort of a spiritual level, and we seem to have that connection.

I knew today would be crazy at work, so I wore No.19, current EDP with vintage EDT, for mental clarity (and just, ya know, to smell great). Tonight I'm in a sample of Pecksniff's Chypre Green, courtesy of a generous & dear BNer. This one is reminiscent of Diorella, so naturally I love it.

Xscent, I hope you had a lovely dinner with your friend. Dinners like that with a good old friend who knows you in and out are SO good for the soul.

Kalli, you crack me up. I know the line has so many devotees (Hi, ExtremeK!) and I hope one day I find one I love - I haven't yet. It's sort of like Girl Scouts badges they earn for swimming, baking, or whatever (I wouldn't know - I wasn't a Girl Scout). I haven't earned my Serge Lutens badge yet and I won't feel a proper perfumista, I guess, until I do. (Can we say nerdy?)
    Last edited by ErinK; 14th May 2014 at 12:19 AM.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

ClaireV, Amber Precieux is lovely, and I wholeheartedly recommend it, although I am an amber fan, so I may be biased. It is vanillic without being too sweet, with a nice touch of incense that rounds it out and lends added interest and depth. I do think the guy at work who commented yesterday genuinely liked it, but I just worry about my body reeking and bothering people, lol! (Even if I think I smell of fabulous amber!) I hope your sweet Mila takes the night off and sleeps, so you can too! I’m sure as time passes (and you catch up on sleep!) these late night perfume purchases will be extra special to you, so it's probably for the best to continue that habit... In the meanwhile, as another distraction, here is a Little Night Music for you, and may I crown you the sweet, good Queen of the Night, not like the original opera version?

Look at this talented little boy! He is adorable, bless his heart! (and I am so happy for him that castrati have fallen from favor...)

SOTD is NorOud by Rynegne. For some reason, it brings to mind the smell of a Japanese Buddhist temple-- slightly smoky, woody and resinous, with a clean, classically Japanese feel. Speaking of which, brings to mind Twolf’s trip! Have a wonderful time there! I’m sure it will be amazing.

Hope everyone has a wonderful evening!
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Hi all,

I wore Creed Original Santal today while attending a professional conference in an air conditioned hotel - hiding from the 90+ degree temperature.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

VanCleef & Arpels Midnight In Paris tonight
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

queen of the universe

cestrum, wonderful video of the kid singing. In the meantime, I found the scariest Queen of the Night ever. I'll bet she already wears the likes of Bandit.

What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

I'm wearing Dolce Vita today. It's been a long day because I worked until after midnight yet again and back at work this morning by 7:00am ... and work is even more stressful since I'm training new people. I keep hoping the end result will be less on call nights, but I'm not sure it will work out that way.

E, and Wolfie, I'm SO jealous of your summer trips! Both places sound amazing ... Bon voyage to you both!

Rev320, sorry I didn't see your question til today ... We did have some storms move through. We got a little hail, but mainly small stuff so no damage, quite a bit of wind, and a little rain ... along with a gorgeous lightning show!

hugs to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Good evening everyone. We had unexpected flash floods last night, with lots of damage to cars, including mine, which I drove down a street I take all the time, only to find it completely flooded by unexpectedly deep water, that conked out the engine. We're waiting with fingers crossed hoping the dealer will somehow find that water didn't get into the engine intake system. The car is only 15 months old. Our daughter was stuck at cello for two hours last night, since we couldn't get through to her due to flooded streets. And the amount of water nearly overwhelmed our sump pump, which would have wrecked the finished basement. So, yesterday was a bad day. And today, I noticed little ants crawling in through a kitchen window. I'm not really a bug person. Sigh. Some days you're the bat, and some days you're the ball.

Which all means that tomorrow must be better. I'm sure.

Today I wore Le Labo Ylang 49. I think Iris 39 will arrive tomorrow. So there you go: good news on the way.

Glad you're enjoying NorOud, I'm surprised that I'm down to my last one to be honest. I very much expected this to be on my "virtual shelves" for a while. A non-stinky, yet, realistic oud that suitable for both sexes - I have to say that definitely gives me a feeling of accomplishment to hear that so thank you very much cestrum :-)

The picture below does pretty much fit right into the whole "Northerly" and "Bright" description of NorOud.

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post
    SOTD is NorOud by Rynegne. For some reason, it brings to mind the smell of a Japanese Buddhist temple-- slightly smoky, woody and resinous, with a clean, classically Japanese feel.
    Mocha, I was running my usual 4 miles after work and I started to hear some thunder about 2.5 miles in...had to really go all-out to make it home. The path I run is near a creek, so I'm glad I did. We didn't get a ton of rain here in the NW Burbs...just wind and buckets of rain for about 2 minutes.
    Last edited by rynegne; 14th May 2014 at 04:35 AM.

Jujy54, that Queen of The Night was amazing! I'm casting all operas with 8 year olds from now on.

Today was After My Own Heart by Ineke.