Code of Conduct

Default Guys, looking for some shopping advice.

Does anyone have advice for good stores to shop for shirts at? I am having a hard time finding stuff that's just classic, solid colors, good material, that looks good with jeans and sneakers. Think V necks, henleys, button down shirts, but nothing too preppy or trendy. All the button down shirts i've tried on lately are either cut very big, (think Jerry Seinfeld: http://www.xenafan.com/seinfeld/cast1.jpg) or cut slim, but are long and intended to be tucked in and worn with a tie. I also prefer solid colors; i feel like all the multi colored striped shirts they sell in stores like express look too busy for me.

Can anyone recommend some stores?

Default Re: Guys, looking for some shopping advice.

Which country are you in, notwerby?

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Which country are you in, notwerby?
    Murica lol. NYC.

For the tuck-in part, I don't see why one should not want to. For the neck, one can probably buy one that's a touch too narrow for the neck and it should open nicely.

In NYC, I have shopped at Barney's during sales (is this in June?) - the stuff is expensive, but during sales one can find nice stuff at 50% off, which is still expensive, but not enormously so.

cacio

Yeah barney's isn't quite my scene. Great store for smelling fragrances lol, but not my speed when it comes to clothing. I'm looking for something more in line with Jc penny, or sears, but the problem is they carry stuff that's so cheaply made it doesn't fit properly. I'm looking for something in between. But thanks for the advice.

What about Brooks Brothers offerings? - classic, good quality, solid colors and should have something that would work well with jeans and sneakers.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

yeah for casual to business casual shirting check out Brooks Brothers and something like say Uniqlo. They tend to have pretty good sales, a range of cuts, and fabrics and patterns etc.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I second Master-Classter's suggestion of Uniqlo (around 5th and 53rd?). I have bought there some t shirts and raincoats in good solid colors. I noticed they also have chino-like trousers in solids, but I have not looked at their shirts (if they have any), and whether they also come in solids and are tight fitting (though this being a japanese brand, I'd assume they are).

cacio

http://www.yoox.com/au/men

Maybe look here if your prepared to shop online. I use this place from Australia, always been hassle free.
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

Jcrew, but that is on the preppy side. Also like everyone else said Brooks Brothers as well as Polo Ralph Lauren, have great stuff. Just make sure you buy Slim-fit shirts. Gap and Banana Republic also have good quality and fit. And Old Navy if you want a bargain but at a sacrifice of quality.

CLUB MONACO might be a good choice for you .

The easy recommendations are Uniqlo for everything, and American Apparel, and Alternative Apparel for t-shirts.

If you're looking for shirts that are slightly more passable without being tucked in, I think J Crew's casual button ups work. Depends on your body type and stuff.

I despise a lot of things about reddit, especially the men's fashion advice sub, but you can browse this thread slightly:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashiona..._your_tshirts/

Check out the village and SOHO areas.

Both Gap and Banana Republic make, IMO, surprisingly affordable but quality clothing.