Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Box full of Le Labo

I just received my shipment from Le Labo in NY (ordered late last week, received it today -that's a pretty good turnaround). I purchased bottles of Bermamote 22 and Santal 33 and received 1.5ml samples of Iris 39, Vetiver 46, and Fleur D'Oranger 27.

First up, the packaging: quality stuff all the way, even down to the packing tape that I had to open with a box cutter (usually a thumbnail will suffice). Each full bottle was packaged in its own individual box, with a vintage-inspired label personalized with my name. The bottle was packaged well, with a hand-written note of thanks inside. The three samples were wrapped individually in brown packing paper.

Bergamote 22: a citrus opening, nothing exceptionally unique. A neroli note creeps in. I wasn't entirely blown away, since a citrus opening is pretty common. Soon enough, however, things settle down. Bright, sparkling, pure class. I'm wearing to tomorrow.

Santal 33: what a surprise. I was hesitant to blind-buy this one, as I've read more than one comment about sawdust and hamster-cage bedding. Well, I get none of that. This is a smooth woody scent, exceedingly masculine and rich. I'm not sure I'll be wearing it much before the fall, but when the weather cools, I'll be sporting the Santal quite often.

Iris 39 is a beaufully subtle floral scent. From what I've read online, most folks consider this a woman's fragrance, but I can't see any problem with a man wearing this, especially on a formal occasion.

Fleur D'Oranger is a blast of orange followed quickly by a dry down of heavy licorice. Not my favorite scent.

Finally, Vetiver 46 is just...I don't know. Is there really vetiver in this? Because I am getting pure fall smoke. The scent almost veers into an incense note, but pulls back before it becomes cheap or cloying. I've never really smelled any fragrance like this before. Burning leaves, smoky dry down. I like it, but I would certainly recommend sampling before blind buying. If you're looking for vetiver, I don't know that you'll find it here.

Default Re: Box full of Le Labo

Sound like an overall positive experience. Enjoy them!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Glad you've enjoyed your Le Labo experience so far. I've also had great experience with the house, particularly their packaging and quality of materials used. There's an integrity to their approach that I appreciate, even if I don't love all their fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by sdcga161 View Post
    Finally, Vetiver 46 is just...I don't know. Is there really vetiver in this? Because I am getting pure fall smoke. The scent almost veers into an incense note, but pulls back before it becomes cheap or cloying. I've never really smelled any fragrance like this before. Burning leaves, smoky dry down. I like it, but I would certainly recommend sampling before blind buying. If you're looking for vetiver, I don't know that you'll find it here.
    There IS vetiver in Vetiver 46, but it only peeks out toward the end, and it's never the star. This one's a variation on Comme des Garšons 2 Man (both fragrances by Mark Buxton), and similarly turns on frankincense, odd-numbered aldehydes (for that white candle smoke effect), and vetiver. 2 Man is a bit waxier and lighter and moves into a more sheer wood and leather base, whereas Vetiver 46 evolves into vanilla and guaiac wood. I find the Le Labo to have obviously better ingredients, but honestly the CdG is just a bit more amiable and easy to wear (more refreshing), not to mention less expensive.

Glad you're enjoying your purchases! I thought about blind buying Le Labo Santal 33, but I figured I may as well wait to sniff it in person after reading various reviews. I may test while I'm on my San Francisco trip next week.

Boom, hit the nail on the head. Honestly, I find Vetiver 46 to be a mis-labelled fragrance with a name like that...same for L'Occitane Vetyver.
    Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I find the Le Labo to have obviously better ingredients, but honestly the CdG is just a bit more amiable and easy to wear (more refreshing), not to mention less expensive.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

Basenotes Plus

I have to try bergamote 22. I keep hearing good things about it. Enjoy your purchases
    Current rotation:

Ciel Man
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    L'Homme
    Scandal Pour Homme

I find Le Labo to be one of the best perfume houses to emerge in the past decade.

They've demonstrated that not only is there room for niche compositions, it can achieved within the death grip & confines of the IFRA restrictions.

for swap/sale:

Good choices, those are the two I own too and the best in the regular line IMO.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

Love this house, and I agree with your assessment of each fragrance. LL do seem to have a tendency to misname their fragrances. Regardless of the name, Vetiver 46 is probably my favorite in the regular line, and if you think that one is smokey, wait till you try Patch 24! If you have an opportunity to try the city exclusives, there are some nice ones there, but the price is a bit much. Enjoy!

Le Labo does a good job. Quality shop. Have fun with the haul.