Code of Conduct

Question Ambroxan - I'm puzzled

At 5% in alcohol, the smell is not very nice, too strong and dry.
    It doesn't last.

At 1%, it smells very good.
    It doens't last.

Olfactory fatigue?
    I don't think so.
    When I don't smell it anymore, I apply one more spray and I smell it again.

I still have 10 gram heres and I would like to mix them with another note to make ambroxan last.

Should I use hedione or something else?

In what proportion?

Thank you!!!

Default Re: Ambroxan - I'm puzzled

I think the job of Ambroxan is to make other substances last whilst not having much of it's own smell..."I think" meaning I'm probably wrong and will most likely be corrected in the next post.....

Taken from GSC (thank you)

ambroxan
    Odor Strength : high ,
    recommend smelling in a 1.00 % solution or less
    Odor Description:
    Woody, pine, cedar-like with a green seedy and tea-like nuance
    Substantivity : > 400 hour(s) at 10.00 % in dipropylene glycol

Even at 0.1% it lasts quite a long time for me..

0.1% as a single note?
    At 1% it lasts a little on my skin, not at all on my clothes.
    Never experienced something like that.

Ambroxan has a long duration, objectively speaking.

However, one consideration is that, being an animal note, ambroxan may be inclined to interact with the bacteria on your skin, which could transform it or break it down.

On the other hand you said it doesn't last on your clothes. So one also has to consider olfactory fatigue.

Also, you may grow to smell it better over time, as your "smell brain" carves out a place for it.

Thank you for this interesting answer.
    But if it is olfactory fatigue, how can I explain that I smell it again when I apply a new spray?

I am very sensitive to Ambroxan, think it very strong indeed, although I get odour fatigue very quickly. It is one of those ingredients that seems to smell stronger in weaker solutions (Karenal is another; iso E Super too). Adding extra sprays will help as the ethanol carrier will bring more Ambroxan to your nose.

Ambroxan is not considered an animal note, nor is it derived from an animal starting material, and even if it were why would it interact with skin bacteria any more than any other substance put on your skin. Ambroxan is made from a chemical found in Clary Sage Absolute.

So, to create a single note fragrance, should I use less than 1%, as Nizan suggested?

Try it and see.

The recommended amount is 1% in a fragrance according to TGSC. You might not be able to smell it but everyone else will be able to perfectly adequately. It is very powerful stuff. All you are doing is blocking your scent receptors and then not smelling it after that. Try putting a 0.1% on your arm and wearing it outside. The wafts will keep coming back to you after the wind clears your nose.

I made some tests at my office. When spraying 1% solution, everybody can smell it after the alcohol has evaporated.
    If my coworkers go back to their place and come back to my place 2 hours later, nobody can smell it anymore.
    I will test 0.1%. Jeez, I have 10 more grams to go.
    If 0.1% is the right amount, this makes me 10 grams ambroxan + 9990 grams alcohol (12.4875 liter).
    I think I will take a bath in it!
    Last edited by Stephan; 14th May 2014 at 09:49 AM.

I'm so puzzled, a great member of this forum creates Molecule 02 with 5% Ambroxan:
    Link here
    But as mumsy said, I've also seen the recommandation of TGSC, or of Hermitage Oils:
    "In pure form it is a white crystalline solid, presented here for ease of use at 10% (the practical maximum that will dissolve in ethanol at room temperature) in a mix of ethanol and DPG. A little goes a long way and in this dilution it is normally used from 1% to 10% of your concentrate."
    Source: http://www.hermitageoils.com/ambrofi...hanol-dpg-2257
    1% to 10% of 10% is 0.1% to 1%, right?

To make a 0.1% solution, you do not need to take pure Ambroxan and dilute it. If you have a 10.0% or a 1.0% solution you can use that, and save your pure Ambroxan. Make a 1.0% solution of your 10.0% solution (1 part Ambroxan 10.0% into 99.0 parts ethanol, makes a 0.1% solution) or 10.0% solution of your 1.0% Ambroxan solution (10 parts Ambroxan 1.0% 90 parts ethanol).

Yes David, that's the way I will work.
    But any comments about the 5% Ambroxan of Chris Bartlett?

Maybe the smelling threshold is different for different people. Why not make 1% and 0.1% dilutions, put them on a strip, and sample both every couple of hours? That way you'll get an idea of what works for you. But make sure you're not constantly inhaling it between testing, to prevent fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    Yes David, that's the way I will work.
    But any comments about the 5% Ambroxan of Chris Bartlett?
    Just to be clear, this 5% solution was made as an alternative to Molecule 02, Not A Perfume and others - it is a commercial product that works for people who like that sort of thing . . . personally I think it's way too strong at that level. Which is why I wrote what's quoted from the Hermitage website (pretty much all the synthetics have write-ups by me if you'd not realised that - I really must resurrect the thread explaining all this that disappeared in the Huddler Experiment). Ambroxan / Ambrofix works best as an enhancer for other materials in traces. And believe me it is very, very long-lasting. I have had test strips in my lab for months that I could still detect the scent on before I gave up and threw them out, still smelling clearly. I've written a long thread on that but that too may have been lost in the dreaded Huddler Period.

A perfumer friend of mine reports that he can recognise people who usually wear Cool Water days after they last used it because the residual smell of ambroxan outlasts everything else and continues to cling to them through shower, bath and daily grind. Few perfumery products last longer.
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.”
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

I guess I'm a little anosmic to it. In each concentration, it lasts about 2 hour on me, then I can't smell it anymore.
    Even if I spray on fabric, I can smell it when the alcohol has evaporated, but if I go to bed and try to smell it in the morning, it is gone.

I really wonder what the concentration of Molecule 02 is.
    I also wonder if I should use something else than hekserij's cosmetisch haarwater to dilute it.
    Or perhaps should I try Cetalox instead.
    With Ambroxan, I only smell something sweet for 2 hours, then it is gone forever.

I can only echo Chris' comments. To me, Ambroxan is one of the outstanding aromachemicals we have. It lasts forever on smelling strips and on skin; a little goes a very long way. And a dip can fill a room. I don't understand how it works as its vapour pressure would indicate that you should hardly smell it. Guess we are all different, and sensitive to different things. For me Benzyl Salicylate pretty well odourless.

I showed this material to +/- 10 people, on my skin, on their skin, and always the same result.
    Perhaps something is wrong with my material (dated?).
    Last edited by Stephan; 15th May 2014 at 02:07 PM.

That is an unfortunate possibility.

I'd agree. When I put Ambroxan at 5% dilution on a test strip I have to dispose of it in a trash can in a different room because it literally fills my entire space.

I don't know in which concentration het cosmetisch haarwater contains panthenol, but this substance is quickly absorbed by the skin and is used in cosmetics to keep the skin moist.
    Maybe before thinking of having a dated material you could try another solvent.
    Our greatest evils flow from ourselves. – Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Default Ambroxan - I'm puzzled

Hi all,
    didn't want to hijack thread but I am relatively new to aroma chems.

Wanted to ask you guys if Ambroxan is good material on its own to buy as beginner or would you rather suggest I get some amber blend first?

Cheers

Mladen

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Last edited by perfectscent; 15th May 2014 at 07:43 PM.

You don't usually know what goes into blends, and they might be a bit too complex to start with. You could get Ambroxan, and work with high dilutions when mixing, as it can easily overpower.

Cool Nizan thank you for the answer.
    Was curious about it. I am working on a warm balmy summer scent built around coconut middle notes. Have heliotrope, coumarin, bicyclo lactone and vanilla (ethyl and regular) musk (ambrettolide, tonalid, helvetolide) as a base and was wondering if amber could work in that combination as well.

Cheers

Mladen

The past days I was wearing aldron at 10%. At 100% there is a masculinity to it that leaves me a bit ambivalent, but at this moderate dilution it's amazing. It smells of skin and the lover's shirt after he wore it one day. An astonishingly sensual odorant. I can totally imagine this chem to fit into a beach scent.

I personally find ambroxan off-putting. Maybe I am over sensitive to it but I perceive it as dominant in many fragrances (A. Goutal Ambre Fétiche for example).
    But I will follow the advice here and give it a try in homeopathic concentration.

Hi Graphite,
    now you got me intrigued , where do I get Aldron in small quantities?

Cheers
    Mladen

Chez moi
    I am currently offering several aroma chemicals and naturals in small quantities.
    If you like, send me a pm with your e-mail address.

Graphite,just sent you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    The past days I was wearing aldron at 10%. At 100% there is a masculinity to it that leaves me a bit ambivalent, but at this moderate dilution it's amazing. It smells of skin and the lover's shirt after he wore it one day. An astonishingly sensual odorant. I can totally imagine this chem to fit into a beach scent.

I personally find ambroxan off-putting. Maybe I am over sensitive to it but I perceive it as dominant in many fragrances (A. Goutal Ambre Fétiche for example).
    But I will follow the advice here and give it a try in homeopathic concentration.
    Be careful using Aldron, it is one of those ingredients that you either can hardly smell, or is overpowering. I have known at several women who could not stand the smell; in one case the woman had to leave the room when someone opened the bottle. She described the smell as vile, stale sweat, and thought it horrible. It is a material that divides.

I've now made a 0.5% ambroxan solution, and it seems the best concentration for me, better than 0.1% and better than 1%.
    I think in a blend I will use it at 0.2% of the finished product, as a solinote 0.5% is perfect for me.

Stephan, glad you have found a mix that you are happy with.

David thank you, will try using Aldron in homeopathic proportions when I get it. Notice taken.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Ambroxan is not considered an animal note, nor is it derived from an animal starting material, and even if it were why would it interact with skin bacteria any more than any other substance put on your skin. Ambroxan is made from a chemical found in Clary Sage Absolute.
    I consider ambergris an animal note, and I see no reason why a constituent of ambergris could not also be considered an animal note.

Mammalian animal notes in nature are often the result of reactions involving native bacteria, some of which are bidirectional as well. That is why it might react.

Aldron is the same as Aldron Dil? You wore it at 10%?! A brave brave man..

I am a woman, Nizan.

Planning to wear it to the gym today. A session in the basement among a hoard of young men lifting hectically heavy weights.
    It strikes me I'll „blend in” much better with this kind of olfactory camouflage.

@David, thanks for sharing your observation regarding its effect on other women. I will definitely get some girl friends sniffing it!
    Last edited by Graphite; 17th May 2014 at 09:12 AM.

*Embarrassed*
    I guess you're brave woman, then. Just don't get into one of those covert male dominance things..

But you just gave me an idea - maybe it could work nicely with that pyrodistilled Amber.. It also smells like sweat (at least to me..).

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis View Post
    I consider ambergris an animal note, and I see no reason why a constituent of ambergris could not also be considered an animal note.

Mammalian animal notes in nature are often the result of reactions involving native bacteria, some of which are bidirectional as well. That is why it might react.
    As far as I am aware Ambroxan is not a constituent of Ambergris. Ambroxan is made from Sclareol which is found in Clary Sage. And even if it were, why would it react with skin bacteria to a greater extent than anything else?

I am a woman, Nizan.

Planning to wear it to the gym today. A session in the basement among a hoard of young men lifting hectically heavy weights.
    It strikes me I'll „blend in” much better with this kind of olfactory camouflage.

@David, thanks for sharing your observation regarding its effect on other women. I will definitely get some girl friends sniffing it!
    You should get some interesting reactions. In my experience men do not react in the same way when they smell Aldron. Do you often wear it when going to the gym?

Aldron has been described to me, and I catch this regularly, is as "Sweaty Man", and other less polite terms reminiscent of sweaty male anatomy.

I'm amazed you're wearing it graphite ;-)

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

I put on three sprays, one on each wrist, one in the neck. Before I left the house I already felt a little annoyed. Not because of the scent itself but it was simply too present.

Before I started exercising I asked a woman to smell my wrist but she couldn't detect anything (for me it was clearly there).

This chemicals's performance reminds me of some musks, or better: my reception of it is similar: one moment it's strong, the next it's subtle. But today was the second time I felt it was getting stronger to the end. Probably I am getting more sensitive to it over time.

It was the first time I was wearing it in the gym and I actually enjoyed getting whiffs now and then. The problem in a gym is usually not single stinky people but the sheer quantity of steaming bodies accompanied by damp towels.
    My personal „sweaty-man-scent” appeared almost fresh to me compared to this smelly gym cacophony.

Maybe I am missing a nuance of this chemical. As I said, at 100% I could feel my face contorting in disgust, but revisited the strip frequently.
    I will be doing some more research.

And the end of the story: I felt quite happy (and somehow relieved) as I was wrapped afterwards in the lovely smell of Aesop rejuvenation body balm smelling of tangerine rind, vanilla and sandalwood. Girly hooray!
    Last edited by Graphite; 17th May 2014 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    As far as I am aware Ambroxan is not a constituent of Ambergris. Ambroxan is made from Sclareol which is found in Clary Sage. And even if it were, why would it react with skin bacteria to a greater extent than anything else?
    The goodscents page lists it as in ambergris. If it's not then a close cousin is. I already answered your other question. Mammalian musky smells often involve skin bacteria, or gut bacteria, which in many cases are the same bacteria. It has to do with sexual and reproductive biology in mammals, with my understanding of it. That is the area of research I am referring to, as well as nutrition in the case of gut bacteria.

An example would be butyric acid produced in the intestines via the digestion of dietary fiber. Butyric acid is considered a "copulin", having a role in reproductive biology in monkees and humans. (reference: research of Astrid Jutte)
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 17th May 2014 at 09:34 PM.

Before I started exercising I asked a woman to smell my wrist but she couldn't detect anything (for me it was clearly there).
    This is really interesting. Would you let us know about the reactions you're getting?
    Maybe that woman was just anosmic to it? Or she just mistook it for body-odor?

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis View Post
    The goodscents page lists it as in ambergris. If it's not then a close cousin is. I already answered your other question. Mammalian musky smells often involve skin bacteria, or gut bacteria, which in many cases are the same bacteria. It has to do with sexual and reproductive biology in mammals, with my understanding of it. That is the area of research I am referring to, as well as nutrition in the case of gut bacteria.

An example would be butyric acid produced in the intestines via the digestion of dietary fiber. Butyric acid is considered a "copulin", having a role in reproductive biology in monkees and humans. (reference: research of Astrid Jutte)
    You implied that because Ambroxan was an animal derived material (it isn't) that there would be a greater likelihood of it reacting with skin flora. I asked why that should be. Mammalian smells often involve bacterial action, and they all involve enzymes; very few Perfumery materials do. If you are suggesting that some perfumery materials can be used as starting materials for bacterial metabolism then I would agree with you, but to single out specifically animal derived substances is a little naive .

I put on three sprays, one on each wrist, one in the neck. Before I left the house I already felt a little annoyed. Not because of the scent itself but it was simply too present.

This chemicals's performance reminds me of some musks, or better: my reception of it is similar: one moment it's strong, the next it's subtle. But today was the second time I felt it was getting stronger to the end. Probably I am getting more sensitive to it over time.

It was the first time I was wearing it in the gym and I actually enjoyed getting whiffs now and then. The problem in a gym is usually not single stinky people but the sheer quantity of steaming bodies accompanied by damp towels.
    My personal „sweaty-man-scent” appeared almost fresh to me compared to this smelly gym cacophony.

Maybe I am missing a nuance of this chemical. As I said, at 100% I could feel my face contorting in disgust, but revisited the strip frequently.
    I will be doing some more research.

And the end of the story: I felt quite happy (and somehow relieved) as I was wrapped afterwards in the lovely smell of Aesop rejuvenation body balm smelling of tangerine rind, vanilla and sandalwood. Girly hooray!
    Sounds as if this substance is, for you, one of those things you love to hate. Whilst disliking it ("I could feel my face contorting in disgust"), you had to keep on smelling it. Aldron sure is a strange beast.

Just on ambroxan - technically, as it’s a brand name belonging to Kao, it isn’t present in any natural material. However the brand name refers to a particular chiral isomer of ambrox, -(-)ambroxide being a simplified version of the chemical name, which is indeed present in ambergris and is one of the breakdown products of ambrein, the waxy substance secreted in the intestines of the Sperm Whale, that is the basis of the ambergris we use in perfumery.

You can see something of the pathway by which this breakdown occurs on Bo Jensen’s site by scrolling down on the linked page.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for

Thank you Chris. Relieved I wasn't suffering from temporary insanity. To further clarify, I did not imply it was animal derived in the perfume industry. It is clearly only animal derived in the case of the amount contained in ambergris. I simply said, as a constituent of ambergris, which is produced in a whale's colon, I consider it a mammalian animal note. Objectively speaking, that is what it is. A chemical is a chemical.

Again, mammalian animal notes often occur in nature via reactions (some bidirectional) with native bacteria. Iso-valeric acid and acetic acid are examples, along with the aforementioned butyric acid. Most probably, the many steroidal (cholesterol derived) components of ambergris (and deer musk, and civet) would be reactive with skin bacteria, as are cholesterol derived steroidal skin hormones on humans, and native to humans (for example, the 16-androstenes, and the production of androstenone from androstenol on exposure to skin bacteria, or the bidirectional production of various androstenes from androstadienone, etc.) We also know this ambergris chemical is often produced directly by genetically modified e-coli. And in particular, the bacterium "Spirillum recti physeteris" has been thought responsible for the production of the pleasant odour of ambergris in the gut of the sperm whale, along with aerobic oxidation in the sea.

The OP was curious as to how an aromachemical with such longevity on a scent strip could mysteriously disappear sooner on the skin. I merely suggested reactions with skin bacteria was an obvious logical possibility. At no time did I state I was sure that was happening, or even that it was probable. But my opinion, still, is that I'd have been remiss to not mention it as a consideration when trying to help the OP. Again, it is not atypical of mammalian animal notes in nature. A mammalian person wearing a perfume containing a mammalian animal note is part of nature.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 19th May 2014 at 04:51 AM.

How time approx. can the ambroxan be in good condition and how can I know if it's in bad condition?

I tried to make Molecule 02 today.
    For some reason I can smell the pure ambroxan crystals a little bit, however, when diluted to 5% i can't smell anything :S
    Am I anosmic to ambroxan? Is it possible that I should dilute it more?
    My niche and designer decant thread (Atelier, Frapin, Creed, Christian Lacroix, Ferre etc): http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....9f250dfc84af37

You could also be hypernosmic.. Try diluting it further and see what happens. Or leave a strip with the 5% diluion somewhere that's not too well ventilated and see if you smell it a couple of days later.

Quote Originally Posted by carlesrodrigo View Post
    How time approx. can the ambroxan be in good condition and how can I know if it's in bad condition?
    In my experience ambroxan / Ambrofix / cetalox don't go off at all.

I have noticed that many people seem to have a variable ability to smell it, especially in pure form. I suspect what may be happening is that they have a sniff of the powder & unknowingly inhale a tiny amount. This then results in temporary anosmia for a while: perhaps as long as a few days. It's very persistent stuff. On paper it lasts for months.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    In my experience ambroxan / Ambrofix / cetalox don't go off at all.

I have noticed that many people seem to have a variable ability to smell it, especially in pure form. I suspect what may be happening is that they have a sniff of the powder & unknowingly inhale a tiny amount. This then results in temporary anosmia for a while: perhaps as long as a few days. It's very persistent stuff. On paper it lasts for months.
    I think this is it! I am starting to be able to smell the dilution... Jezus, now I know why people say you shouldn't directly smell the vials of AC's.. Thanks a lot!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    My niche and designer decant thread (Atelier, Frapin, Creed, Christian Lacroix, Ferre etc): http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....9f250dfc84af37