Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Precious Woods by April Aromatics

This scent came up in discussion on several different threads so I thought I'd create a new thread where we can just discuss this one.

I'm itching to smell this & I'm considering a blind buy because, well...I'm a sandalwood freak.

From their ad copy:

This scent was created after a journey to India. It reminds me of an Indian forest after a rain storm with its earthy, sweet forest-like scent. It is both stimulating and grounding, giving you the experience of walking through a grand, lush forest. Precious Woods is both stimulating and purifying. This fragrance is loved by men and women alike.

(Pine, Myrrh, Sandalwood Mysore, Cedarwood Atlas, Vetiver)

This scent is infused with Tigereye and clear Crystal.

$223 / 30 ml
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Precious Woods by April Aromatics

I ordered a sample of this one (along with few others) last week. Really hoping to get it very soon. Never heard of the house until a few weeks ago, but the more I read about April Aromatics, the more I am becoming impatient to try them - especially this one.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

I purchased this one blind as I love Sandalwood like yourself. The first thing that hit's you when smelling the fragrance is the quality of the ingredients as they are vibrant and intense.

On first application I get beautiful pine and cedarwood which is soon followed by the Sandalwood. Now the woods are a blend of different Sandalwood's including Mysore. Luckly this aspect does dominant for a while and you get that creamy aspect which is lovely.

As the scent progresses you get a wonderful myrh & vetiver notes mixing in with the green pine and woods. A beautiful fragrance which is really well balanced and a beautiful showcase of high quality Sandalwood as well as pine and other forestry notes.

One thing important to note is that the bottle only comes in 30ml and is pricey because of the high quality ingredients.

Whoa! tres cher
    I will scratch around for a sample, but if I like it and want more?

Basenotes Institution

What about the 10 ml bottle Jack?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    What about the 10 ml bottle Jack?
    It's a oil version of the scent which may be a option if you want to save cash. Though I have no idea how well it performs as I got the spray.

First In Fragrance the German online company are now carrying the line and you could order a sample. That way at least you will not be gambling with a lot of money with a blind buy.

Basenotes Institution

Ah, that's what I thought (since it is a roll on).

-- Eckhart Tolle

I like Bohemian Spice from April Aromatics but it is a beast of a scent until it fumes down a little to be more liveable. Bohemian Sp. has great character and is well put together. Precious Woods is more in the blended northern woods category and reminds me of some of the Slumberhouse fragrances, but I do not have a bottle of PWoods and should not comment after only a single test. April Aromatics Calling All Angels is slightly feminine in my opinion but like Bohemian Spice is very bold, full of character but calms down nicely into wearable territory. All that intensity is due to natural ingrendients used aggresively for lasting power instead of building the scent over synthetic fixatives that are commonly used in everything else - just a guess about that.

Basenotes Institution

I thought of Slumberhouse when I read the description of PW. Glad you confirmed that Buzzlepuff.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Ah, that's what I thought (since it is a roll on).
    Palm Beach is now having a split on Precious Woods if you don't want to take a chance on a full bottle. $40.00 for a 5ml split.

Basenotes Institution

Good idea!

-- Eckhart Tolle

The way it was described so good! Since you love Devin and other greens, I'll be interested in what you have to say. I love sandalwood as well. A candle I'm thinking of purchasing is Club Room Sandalwood by lafco. Smells great!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I sampled Precious Woods today. The sheer simplicity of this well blended scent in conjunction with super high quality ingredients makes this a huge winner to my nose. What a pleasure to wear something so special. Super classy!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    The way it was described so good! Since you love Devin and other greens, I'll be interested in what you have to say. I love sandalwood as well. A candle I'm thinking of purchasing is Club Room Sandalwood by lafco. Smells great!
    I've always wanted to smell the Santal candle by Diptyque, to see if it smelled like Tam Dao does.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I'll let you know if it does Mike. I'm heading to Diptyque next week while in San Francisco.

I've always wanted to smell the Santal candle by Diptyque, to see if it smelled like Tam Dao does.

PW is like a creamy Norne, as BS is a patchouli Norne, both quite similar to the Slumberhouse scent.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Basenotes Institution

Oh that sounds wonderful Brian_Towers.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Mike , try it & tell us if it's really mysore sandal.

for swap/sale:

I've worked with Mysore as well and I will give my thoughts on the fragrance once my portion of the split is received.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Mike , try it & tell us if it's really mysore sandal.

Sound Scents

I apologize for hijacking the thread, but I just received an email from April Aromatics saying that their product is en-route to Lucky Scent in the US and they will be selling the line in a week or two. I am really looking forward to trying these, but getting some samples at a much lower cost from Lucky Scent makes trying the line a lot easier on the wallet (and also avoids a potential blind buy).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Basenotes Institution

It's at Luckyscent now: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/categ...Aromatics.html

There's a sampler of all AA scents, a bit pricey though ($130).

-- Eckhart Tolle

Here are my belated thoughts on Precious Woods:

Precious Woods opens with a sizable amount of Mysore Sandalwood that's conjoined with a literal pine sap note that weaves in and out along with a hint of cedar. Later in the wear a resinous-green dose frankincense rides along side the pine while myrrh dances quietly in the background. Overall, this fragrance is very green, natural and almost wet feeling. Precious Woods feels like a mythical trip through a deep, uncharted, cool-damp rainforest --- hacking a machete trail through the forest as a green glowing halo envelops the hazy forest floor.

Performance is on par with a natural perfume, lasting time between 5-7 hours and relatively low sillage. A very nice fragrance indeed that gets a thumbs up from me, but I'll live happily with my decant.

Last edited by rynegne; 19th June 2014 at 05:44 PM.

I would like to try this one!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Here are my belated thoughts on Precious Woods:

Precious Woods opens with a sizable amount of Mysore Sandalwood that's conjoined with a literal pine sap note that weaves in and out along with a hint of cedar. Later in the wear a resinous-green dose frankincense rides along side the pine while myrrh dances quietly in the background. Overall, this fragrance is very green, natural and almost wet feeling. Precious Woods feels like a mythical trip through a deep, uncharted, cool-damp rainforest --- hacking a machete trail through a dark forest that glows with a green halo.

Performance is on par with a natural perfume, lasting time between 5-7 hours and relatively low sillage. A very nice fragrance indeed that gets a thumbs up from me, but I'll live happily with my decant.

It's a very nice review Rynegne and the illustration is dead-on. Though I got 10 hours or so on Precious Woods.

On a related note, one can also get a limited edition of all (9 scents) 7.5ml each for 172 euros (no VAT and shipped to the states). FYI.
    Last edited by CapriDog; 19th June 2014 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Additional info regarding the limited edition.

Basenotes Plus

It's at Luckyscent now: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/categ...Aromatics.html

There's a sampler of all AA scents, a bit pricey though ($130).
    That is not bad at all, considering what they charge for their 30ml bottles (between $225 and $250). In the sampler you get 22.5ml of 9 different scents for $130, which is, by their pricing - a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    It's a very nice review Rynegne and the illustration is dead-on. Though I got 10 hours or so on Precious Woods.
    I concur with CapriDog, a very good review Rynegne. One of the very best Sandalwood's you can buy and anyone who really loves Sandalwood needs to check this one out as it's seriously good!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Towers View Post
    PW is like a creamy Norne, as BS is a patchouli Norne, both quite similar to the Slumberhouse scent.
    Is PW smoky at all?

I love the woods, but to me, Norne was ruined by the overly smoky campfire/incense notes.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Is PW smoky at all?

I love the woods, but to me, Norne was ruined by the overly smoky campfire/incense notes.
    It's nothing like Norne to my nose. PW is earthy, woodsy and green but not smoky.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Is PW smoky at all?

They share the green and coniferus aspects, the incense is not that strong and in no way it smells smoky but creamy.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

This--the incense more or less literal frankincense ie. smells like the actual raw material in oil extract form not an accord of sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Towers View Post
    They share the green and coniferus aspects, the incense is not that strong and in no way it smells smoky but creamy.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    That is not bad at all, considering what they charge for their 30ml bottles (between $225 and $250). In the sampler you get 22.5ml of 9 different scents for $130, which is, by their pricing - a steal.
    Yeah I guess you're right

-- Eckhart Tolle

Want
    Signature Scent

Basenotes Institution

I have a decant of this also, I'll have to give this a proper review soon.

Words that come to mind when I think about the first time I smelled it: block of wood; pine; air; sticky tree resin

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sound Scents

Just got my samples from Lucky Scent of four from the line including Precious Woods. I am wearing it now, and it is loaded with sandalwood and radiant woody incense. It shares a passing similarity with one of the better Lucky Scent Decennial offerings, though more natural smelling. Good stuff indeed...

That said, having tried the selected four on skin (the others selected being Rose l'Orange, Calling All Angels and Bohemian Spice), so far Bohemian Spice is the one that really is impressing me the most (though all four smell no less than very good). Too bad all of them are very pricey, and Bohemian Spice the worst of the lot at $250 per 30ml. That is more expensive than Clive Christian's X for Men on a per ml basis... Yikes!
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

drseid, I hope you will be doing some reviews on this house. You have a very good style and I would be interested on your take especially Bohemian Spice. When I was deciding on a full bottle it came down to Precious Woods & Bohemian Spice, I went for Precious Woods because I love Sandalwood and already have a few Patchouli dominant scents.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    drseid, I hope you will be doing some reviews on this house.
    Yes indeed... Reviews on at least the four samples I have will be forthcoming (which I will post to the review section so as not to clog up this thread). Bohemian Spice will be the first.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Just got my samples from Lucky Scent of four from the line including Precious Woods. I am wearing it now, and it is loaded with sandalwood and radiant woody incense. It shares a passing similarity with one of the better Lucky Scent Decennial offerings, though more natural smelling. Good stuff indeed...
    Do you mean Santal Sacre? Interesting...I'd always wanted to know if that was a good sandalwood scent.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sound Scents

Do you mean Santal Sacre? Interesting...I'd always wanted to know if that was a good sandalwood scent.
    Yes, that is the one.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)