Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default S.O.T.D. - Wednesday, 14 May, 2014.

Hi everyone - have a lovely day!

Portrait of a Lady - Malle.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Wednesday, 14 May, 2014.

´morning, ladies!
    vintage

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Wednesday, 14 May, 2014.

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Hello all,

teardrop and ErinK a great night was had. He never fails to cheer me up with the swearing, fashion commentary and usual sweet drunken marriage proposal. ((ErinK)) it is fan-bloody-tastic news, I think more late nights are called for.

((Shades)) I hope you get some much deserved respite soon.

Mocha wow that's some serious flash flooding. Here's hoping car is okay and the other damage is minimal. Congrats on the Iris, I keep forgetting how lovely that one is.

Cuir de Russie parfum and EdT today and Homage Attar tonight. Have a lovely day.
    Last edited by Xscent; 14th May 2014 at 11:01 AM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Blog Entries

Morning all!

Mocha; that sounds like a hairy night indeed, hope your car is ok & that the floods have receded by now.

Xscent; glad you had a wonderful time! Friends like that are real treasures.

l have a couple of days off, & today l'm testing DelRae's new release, Wit. Very promising so far...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone, Givenchy Organza for me today.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Rive Gauche Homme Intense

Wearing one of Dior's masterpieces... Leather Oud. If the new Cuir Cannage is anything near the quality of Leather Oud I will need to pick up a bottle.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

4160 Tuesdays - What Katie did in Springtime…

thanks to a very kind gift on the to good home thread. Thanks YC.

(It's not in the directory BTW)

Blog Entries

Good morning everyone!

I'm inCoty Muguet des Bois today and eagerly awaiting my bed of lilies of the valley opening up. They seem to be running late this year.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Jean Pascal Jean Pascal today
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Hello everyone -

I'm in Serge Lutens Bas de Soie this morning, one of the very least *Serge-like of his offerings, which could explain why I love it so much ...and I really do.

Y'all have a wonderful day!

*kalli, Erin - y'all are not alone. I've never embraced his spicy, syrupy woods, either, or his rich, highly indolic florals. All of my favorite Lutens seem to be quite a departure from that particular aesthetic; I *adore* Bas de Soie, De Profundis, Datura Noir and Iris Silver Mist, so I think there's probably a Serge or two out there for you, too ...if you really feel like you need that badge, hehe.

Thanks for the bon voyage, shades - just a little over a week to go!

And thank you for the musical interlude, cestrum! That's not an easy song - that kid is really good!

Hugs to ((Mocha)) - hoping your week sees a drastic improvement.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Good morning! All that opera yesterday has Schubert's "Der Vollmond Strahlt," which I haven't sung in probably 20 years, running through my head and I will undoubtedly end up singing *something* in the car.

http://youtu.be/qIrzvIc64Js

And since my repertoire now includes Balkan singing, and I like fresh air and tend to drive with the windows at least part-way down, the commuters on Rte. 128 won't know what to make of me. It'll be fun.

Sharing the house with Ipp today in Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle's En Passant, from my signed bottle. (I met Monsieur Malle at Barney's in Boston a few years back - he was lovely. And handled my offer to let him use the silver pen to sign one of my pulse points with absolute aplomb.)

En Passant: White lilac and watery ozone notes.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Ararat by Parfumerie Naturelle

Hello all. Terry de Gunzburg Ombre Mercue.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    ...And since my repertoire now includes Balkan singing, and I like fresh air and tend to drive with the windows at least part-way down, the commuters on Rte. 128 won't know what to make of me. It'll be fun.
    *Lol*
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

'morning, easyfish
    Well, my tennis match last night did not go so well - lost 3 and 1 in dubs, on that rascal slippery clay stuff. I am sore this morning, probably from a few unexpected slides
    Also unexpectedly, I am reaching for 10 Corso Como today from a small decant. It just popped into my head, and I'm going with the flow.

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone! I am joining Xscent today in Cuir de Russie (EDT only, no parfum for me yet!).

Cestrum - thanks for the wonderful music! I love Eine Kleine Nachtsmusik and have done since I was a little girl! (How did you know) That little boy was amazing, simply incredible. By the way, you like Balkan singing? What exactly is that? I live in the Balkans myself, and there are certain types of music I like from here, this being one of my favorites:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZqDFxBCvgk
    It is a gypsy song of the Roma people, covered here by Goran Bregovic, and is thought to be an eerie foretelling of the vicious civil war to come in the nineties. The gypsies sing the following words (in Serbian) and they never fail to send a chill up my spine: There is no more sun, there is no more moon......(as if they knew, somehow, that a darkness would soon fall across the entire Yugoslavia)
    I know it sounds a bit depressing, but it is a really riotous affair one the tuba players start in!

Jujy - what a creepy but hilarious video of that girl! She quite frightened me!

queen of the universe

Lately Balahé is my "goes everywhere with everything" fragrance, and so it is today. Floral, leather, and just a little cumin or coriander to add a little sweat.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

House of Matriarch SexMagic (such a goofy name)...Anywho...It's been a super busy week and incredibly busy month for me. At my desk job, MadHat (which is awesome and exciting!), moving out by the end of the month and I've have a ton of B-Day celebrations and other events to attend what seems to be every few days. Thankfully, I'll be heading out to San Francisco at the end of next week. It'll be my first time in California and I'm really looking forward to getting out of Chicago for a few days. It should be a much needed hit of the "reset button" for me!

Good morning, good smelling people.

Today is my 3rd daughter's 10th birthday. I am in the Maison de Vanille Vanille Sauvage de Madagascar which she generously shared with me, from the sampler box I got for her as a present this one: http://boutique-maison-de-la-vanille...-du-monde.html

Hello, lovelies!

First, a big hug to (((Mocha))) I hope you have some good news about the car - how awful. It sounds like you were really lucky your basement wasn't flooded. We had flash flooding here 2 weeks ago, which is the reason I currently have no AC in my house - the water apparently flooded the duct work in my crawlspace. I really don't understand how the water could get in but couldn't drain out...but whatever. I'm hoping I get it fixed today - this no AC business is for the birds.

Evangeline
    , oh yeah, I seem to have forgotten that Iris Silver Mist is a Serge Lutens, HA! It is so different than the other SL I have tried (as in obviously beautiful, not challenging for me, etc) that I just forget it's his.

Robin, hoping your daugher has a delightful 10th birthday!

I'm in Hiris today.

France, May 1924
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Ombre Indigo by Olfactive Studio (Giving it a full day's wear)

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm wearing Bond High Line today. I'm off today and taking hubby to have his left wrist carpal tunnel surgery this morning. (He had his right done in March.) The last one went very well, and I'm sure this one will too. His pre-op instructions said: NO perfume ... but I'm not the patient, so I'm not following instructions!

hednic, I can't wait to get my decant of Ombre Indigo and give it a test! It should be here any day now ...

mocha, I hope your car is ok! Glad you are safe and your basement is dry!

Happy birthday to Robin's daughter

hugs to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Institution

Woke up with a head cold (or sinus infection - can't tell) so I can't smell and I feel blah

Something jolting was needed so I used the very last drops of my bottle of:

Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia by Guerlain

I've thoroughly enjoyed this since I've owned it. I think my next 'mint' bottle will be the Herba Fresca. Or maybe more Selection Verte.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

SOTD: L'Eau Froide from Serge Lutens. I was thinking that I wanted an incense perfume that wouldn't be too heavy for warm weather, and I remembered I had this sample.

I'm excited about Ombre Indigo as well; can't wait to get my decant.

Basenotes Plus

Good afternoon all !.

Robin, wishing your daughter a very happy birthday.

Cestrum, thank you for the Mozart yesterday . My favourite composer and (IMO) the greatest of all time. A genius.

Mocha, those flash floods sounded pretty hair-raising. Hope everything works out OK with your car. (Being stuck at cello for two hours sounds great to me - but only if it's at wine o'clock in New Mexico )

Canali Black Diamond.

Reserving my seat for the evening between Erin and ComDiva, nose tingling in anticipation.

Best wishes to Mr Shades
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 14th May 2014 at 08:40 PM.

I am wearing Olene today - by accident! It was in the L'Ombre dans L'Eau box by mistake. What a shock when I sprayed it on. Oh well, Olene smells good too.

Haven't tried Bas de Soie or Datura Noir but the other two I didn't care for. I have only kinda liked two from that line so far.

Poison edt.

Oh, ClaireV, I totally enjoyed listening to Goran Bregovic with Orchestra Serbia 2007 (to the right of the link that you had posted, while opened), the whole 1h 23min of it. I think in one of my previous lives I used to be a roma, changing places and faces as the wind blew. This music (heavy artillery of tubas and other brass) strike the right chord with me somehow.

With all that subtalk about syrupy woods, heady florals and SL fragrances, I would like to apologize to jujy, I remember how excited she was about her friend bringing the only bottle from the Palais Royale -- and me saying, No do not buy it until you have tested and retested! -- and her liking it bunches, anyway and blind!

In simple and pretty Laurence Dumont Les Senteurs Gourmandes Vanille Violette.

Blog Entries

Ellyn Deleith- Blue Flame
    Vintage parfum
    A surprise vintage found in my stash. Notes are unknown.
    Cool, possibly cardomom and heliotrope are central players.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ellyn-Deleit...p2054897.l4275
    Last edited by kumquat; 14th May 2014 at 05:19 PM.

Annick Goutal Gardenia Passion. I really like this but the Eau de Perfume doesn't seem to have much staying power. Does anyone have a different concentration of this that lasts?

Erin - Love that picture you posted

I'm really enjoying the comments about Serge Lutens. A kind Basenoter sent me some samples and I think I will try one of those on my personal Sample Saturday. I have so many samples I have never tried I decided to make Saturdays the day I try a sample.

Betsy
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Blog Entries

Magical Moon this evening.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Mmmm, you smell wonderful easyfish

For once I'm not twinnying with you- I'm wearing Givenchy Gentleman (vintage aftershave) today.

Hope everybody's had a lovely day today.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

I love your Hiris autochrome too, Erin, which is one of my favorites, but I forgot to mention the vase of roses you posted with your Rose 31 - that was so beautiful!

We're just taking a little break from our extended rehearsal for our impending "ballet flashmob in the park" (lol, we don't really call it that - it's a "location performance") and I've just refreshed my Bas de Soie ...and I can't post a pic from my 'droid, so just words will have to do for this post. And a smiley.

Gotta run - catch y'all later!

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Virgin Island Water.

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 14th May 2014 at 09:39 PM.

Bleecker Strret by Bond No.9

Well, things will definitely be looking up after today. The Honda service department reports that water did get into the engine and it is hydro-locked. I've just turned it over to the insurance company so we can get a new engine installed. At least the insurance company has classified it as a weather disaster. Instead of a "driving like a fool down a dark wet street" incident.

I've been wearing very soft and gentle fragrances today. First, L'Artisan Parfumeur Mimosa Pour Moi and then Atelier Cologne Sous le Toit de Paris. Those were both very lovely.

Blog Entries

It is finally in the database..... just submitted my review (hopefully to see it published in two weeks or less )

SotE - Choco Musk by Al Rehab

My SOTE... West Broadway by Bond No.9

Good evening! I’m glad the Mozart clips were enjoyable! Jujy, what a great find! That little girl definitely looked like she was having a great time acting things out.

Mocha, so sorry to hear of the weather horrors—that sounds just awful! At least insurance will cover the damages to the car.

ClaireV, I’m not talented enough to sing, (other than to my dogs and cats, mostly because the poor things haven’t figured out a way to complain yet!) but I loved the video you shared! Even though I was raised with Western classical music pretty exclusively, I am also interested in ethnic music of all sorts, medieval music, jazz, and non-Western or microtonal tunings. Thank you for sharing!!! I will be exploring Goran Bregovic more—that is some great stuff!

ComDiva, and what a beautiful video you shared--thank you too! You must be very talented to sing that, and Balkan songs to boot! The music and video was so calming and beautiful! I loved the images—especially the cool, icy mountains! So enticing…

Our weather right now is HOT. My car showed it was 99 degrees outside while I was on the road near Downtown, and the thermometer at home *in the shade* read 84! Ick. I’m in Los Angeles, so I tend to think of anything below 60 as “freezing,” but this is just too, too hot--- and we are in a relatively cooler part of the city! Anyway, I wore Rose d’Ete today, and even that light, summery rose and linden was too heavy and sticky. The drydown right now is growing rather delightful, and I’m trying to sniff out the ambrette that is supposed to be in the base. (Yes, still figuring that one out! Lol!)

Hope everyone has a great night!

Here’s something for the amateur ethnomusicologists (and sociologists, cultural anthropologists, documentary buffs, humanities types, curious types, etc.! lol…) amongst us:
    Last edited by cestrum nocturnum; 15th May 2014 at 02:43 AM. Reason: oops, posted a link not a video! there we go!
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

I need to go back and watch all these vids!
    I came home with a mission to sort out my bottles. The categories are LOVE, like, and need to wear and possibly get rid of. Hmm, this is tough. It may take awhile
    So far, out of over 90 scents, I have only 25 bottles in the LOVE group. One of them is Frapin 1270, which I chose to wear tonight. It is cool enough, and I am enjoying this, although it will soon be put away for the hot summer coming on.

On another note, I believe that I have decided to switch out one of my Top 5 for the first time in several years. VC&A Bois d'Iris goes in, and either Dior Homme or FM Iris Poudre get the bump. Have not decided which yet. Also, there is some consideration of PdE Cuir Ottoman for top 5. Hmmm....
    Last edited by cello; 15th May 2014 at 03:09 AM.

Ending the night with Masque Milano Montecristo.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

queen of the universe

My son is in the hospital again. I take it as progress that he decided that's where he needs to be. Comforting myself with SOTN of Guerlain Véga.

P1040101.jpg
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Institution

Still feel like crap and my nose was stuffy all day, so I didn't really enjoy my afternoon scent:

Wild Country by Avon

This stuff is ultra-powdery, Dad used to wear it. Nice memories.

((cough, cough))

Evening at home, watching Mad Men re-runs (Season 7 is crazy!!!) and getting to bed early. Still having A/C 'issues' I'll talk about it more later. For now, I'm not 'hot' anymore, but it's also not resolved. Very frustrating. Practicing acceptance. It's working. Tomorrow they will FINALLY be treating my building for termites - the termites are everywhere when the heat returns and I've found wings along every window sill in my apartment. It's crazy. Hopefully after tomorrow it'll be a bit more tolerable.

Mocha - hugs for you, I know all about getting a car flooded...my very first new car got flooded, parked in front of my office many years ago, during a heavy rainstorm. I was heartbroken. Sounds like yours might not be a 'total loss' like mine was. Good for you.
    TWolf - have a fantastic time in the East!
    cello - organizing bottles is hard work, hats off to you for making an attempt at it
    teardrop - how'd you like the Wit?
    rynegne - hope you have a fantastic time in SF, I'm planning on going out for the BN meetup in September. Can't wait!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th May 2014 at 03:34 AM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

((((jujy))))

Good for your son for keeping himself safe. Hope that Vega eases your worries a bit tonight.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Oh, jujy, I'm sorry to hear that, but you are right in that it is a good sign that he knows where safe is. Hang in there.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Jacques Bogart Force Majeure tonight
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon