Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor
    Basenotes Member

Default Hermes Bel Ami versions and reformulations

hello, my recent curiosity about Hermes Bel Amit Vetiver made me revisit the original Bel Ami again, I did not touch my bottles for some time and was again surprised about the differences and commons between the 'old' version in the cocktail shaker bottle and the until recent heavy glass bottle. the ones I have should be from 1989 and respectively from 2002, both Eau de Toilette Spray

whereas the differences between the original version and the version that was sold over the last 15 years or so has been discussed in length here, I am wondering if there are differences of between the most current version that came back into shops just now and the previous 'heavy glass' bottle version that has been circulating over the last 15 years or so and also if someone in the know here, would know if there have been other periods and stages, where slight reformulations have been introduced ?

it would be brilliant to learn …

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Hermes Bel Ami versions and reformulations

I think I've read that it was just a repackaging of the most recent change that it underwent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The new version of Bel Ami still smells great. It probably has a bit less oakmoss or something than the vintage original version, but definitely has not been destroyed or harmed by reformulation like many others from that era.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver Geranium by Creed

I must be one of the very few here (maybe the only one???) who thinks that Bel Ami (vtg.) is not a masterpiece.
    I do have in my collection the oldest version of it but there is no "love" there and most certainly no "wow" effect.

Quote Originally Posted by intersport View Post
    whereas the differences between the original version and the version that was sold over the last 15 years or so has been discussed in length here, I am wondering if there are differences of between the most current version that came back into shops just now and the previous 'heavy glass' bottle version that has been circulating over the last 15 years or so and also if someone in the know here, would know if there have been other periods and stages, where slight reformulations have been introduced ?
    I enjoy Bel Ami as well. I've got bottles from what I believe to be '98, '00 (w/box), '04, '06, and '09; the first two are the shaker-type; they all smell great and I'll be damned if it's not the same juice. When bottle/box designs change, people seem all-too-quick to conclude that a formula change occurred as well. I have no facts, but it would not surprise me a bit if this was the case with Bel Ami over this time '98-'09... a bottle/box change with no change in formula.

What we do know, however, is that IFRA's 43rd amendment to its code of practice standards (effective 2010) hit the big mossy chypres pretty hard. In addition, IFRA's 47th amendment prohibits or restricts some forms of styrax (effective Jan'15) that may have impacted Bel Ami. Perhaps there have been other prohibitions or restrictions re birch, cade, etc. that've messed with Bel Ami's chee? Do some of the fat-bottomed (heavy glass, as you say) bottles contain juice emasculated of its moss... perhaps the 2010 and younger bottles? Does the current bottle version contain this same juice or has it been further modified? I don't know.
    Wanna Shop? --> Buzier's Sales

MY TOP SHELF: Azzaro pH, Bel Ami, Blackbird, Blend 30, Cuba, Davidoff '84, Derby, Edition, Equipage, Jules, Knize Ten, Kouros, Leather Oud, Puredistance M, Santal Noble, Tribute Attar, Yatagan

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I'm only just starting to wear it, but I'm liking it, and trending to be a vocal fan.
    It is a great scent indeed.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.