Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances that are you personified

If you had to think and say what perfumes were really about you. The ones you really, really identify with as your own. Ones that others might say were your signatures. The ones that speak to you.

I do not mean any that you try, even if you really love them. I mean the ones you would grab with no hesitation and your friends would know it had been you in the room after you'd gone. The ones you would have a real need to go and get more if you ran out, or maybe you already back up madly with them so that you never run out for the foreseeable future.

Your real personal wearers if all other perfumes weren't there as a distraction. Your own real identity in smell form.

What might they be?

Mine would be these
    Armani by Armani
    Ivoire by Balmain
    Coco Chanel
    Yendi by Capucci

and more recently but less so than those above
    Diorling by Dior (reformulated and vintage)

Default Re: Fragrances that are you personified

Probably Gengis Khan.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Memoir Man

Tuscan Leather

The new Amouage stuff is getting there as we are still in the honeymoon phase as well as Oud Wood.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

This one used to personified me... Fahrenheit "1988-2000 vintage " hard to come by although newer formulations still have the skeletal structure just not made of stone or concrete but Sheetrock now a days like everything else ....

hence, Aventus , MI and even GV are vying for that spot
    Last edited by magnus611; 14th May 2014 at 04:24 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

S.T. Dupont "Signature"
    Salvador Dali "Laguna"
    Annayake "Yukimi"
    Guerlain "Habit Rouge"
    But I guess I have very specific taste/love list anyway so whatever unusual - ppl would recognise it was ME, lol

Basenotes Member

I stopped going to local Sephora since 2005
    Nasamotto Silver Musk
    Le Labo 31
    Monsieur de Givenchy
    GPH 1
    Most of them sharp scents, represent my inside

Blog Entries

There are quite a few, hard to choose-

Rive Gauche
    Djedi
    Chanel no.19
    Dioressence
    Balmain- Ivoire
    Caron- Tabac Blond, French Cancan
    Houbigant- Aperçu
    Coty- Chypre, Emeraude
    Profumum- Rosae Mundi
    Annick Goutal- Eau D'Hadrien
    Serge Lutens- Bois Oriental

Ok, that's enough for now. I guess you could say I'm the 'perfume' lady.

I think it's nice to have an idea of scent profile that is really about each of us. It's as near to a signature scent that any of us can be with our many variances.

I'm a sort of dryish spicy lady.

Blog Entries

Samsara & Alien.

l guess l'm a "big jasmine" type of gal!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    ...I mean the ones you would grab with no hesitation and your friends would know it had been you in the room after you'd gone. The ones you would have a real need to go and get more if you ran out, or maybe you already back up madly with them so that you never run out for the foreseeable future.
    I've had lots of signature scents over the years, but the ones I most identify with, and those that others seem to most identify with me, are -

Coco edp, always first and foremost
    Guerlain Chamade, the first real perfume I ever had, which I received at the tender age of three.
    Dior Dune
    Guerlain L'Instant
    K de Krizia
    the original Calvin Klein for women
    Gucci No3

I usually consider myself a floral-chypre type o' lady, but I guess I don't have a specific scent profile - my signatures are all over the place!

It's not one of my signatures, but I like Yendi too, mumsy. You're the only other person around here I ever see mentioning it ...with the possible exception of Auntie knit, now that I think of it, but I'm convinced it was the olfactory inspiration for one of my childhood favorites, Fabergé Babe, which I still love. Are you familiar with it? Unfortunately, it's not any easier to find than Yendi is these days ...sigh.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

I forgot-
    Vintage-Caron- L'Infini
    Lubin- Nuit de Longchamp
    Lanvin-Arpége
    Vintage Norrell

I am a chypre/aldehyde person.
    Last edited by kumquat; 14th May 2014 at 07:22 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Millesime Imperial.
    Eau de Patou.
    Xerjoff Nio.

L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko,Une Fleur de Cassie, Chanel Cuir de Russie and No.5.

I generally like powdery scents. Mitsouko seems to be an exception,though.

Envy for men
    Allure Homme

Runners up:
    Tom Ford for men (in warmer weather...Extreme in cooler)
    Chanel pour Monsieur (NOT Concentree)
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Dior Poison is me personified. I could live on Poison alone if I had too, I just love perfumes too much to stay faithful to my favorite.

Runners up would be:

Opium
    Chanel No 5 & 19
    Lolita Lempicka
    Shalimar
    Red Door

Angel has been recently added to my all time favorites list; I was never a huge fan and had never really given it a proper chance wearing it, had only smelled it on paper, until my Husband came home saying he had found me a new perfume that was so me while he had taken the kids to the mall for the day, and I would love it, and it was Angel, I groaned a little bit inwards but since he had been so sweet to purchase me a new perfume as a gift I put it on, I am in complete love with it now and wonder how I went without it for so long.

I haven't discovered my scent persona yet.

The only one that fits this for me is Chanel Bois des Iles. It is me to a tee - and yes, I wear it in tee shirts also. It is warm and comfortable, formal enough, yet can go casual as I tend to be that. It is masculine woods, but with a feminine twist. I go to it when I need confidence and comfort, and I wear it when I forget why I wear perfume, because it reminds me, every time. It fits.....

Probably Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme, it's the epitome of an early seventies cologne and it fits me to a T, but there are a few others I'm known for.
    Habit Rouge.
    Paco Rabanne.
    Fahrenheit. ( Original tri-colored box)
    Santos de Cartier concentree.
    Polo Green.
    And as of tomorow, Fahrenheit Absolute and Fahrenheit summer.

Also Kouros. (Original)

Green Irish Tweed
    Tuscan Leather
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

Caron Farnesiana is really me.

But I also adore

Après l'Ondée
    Sous le Vent

2 Man and Tam Dao.
    Just say no to oniomania.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    It's not one of my signatures, but I like Yendi too, mumsy. You're the only other person around here I ever see mentioning it ...with the possible exception of Auntie knit, now that I think of it, but I'm convinced it was the olfactory inspiration for one of my childhood favorites, Fabergé Babe, which I still love. Are you familiar with it? Unfortunately, it's not any easier to find than Yendi is these days ...sigh.
    I may have some Babe somewhere… a tidy up is due. The other Faberge that was lovely was Fleurs du Monde with the orange lid. I have some edp Yendi which is pale green but it's worth looking for the perfume which is more yellow. And yes, it's really hard to find and I've bought much of what was around until I had a small backup stash to last for a while. I only wear it for very special occasions and just to sniff now and again.

Anymore, Coromandel.
    Lately, Ambre Extreme, too.
    I used to wear many Chypres, but I got disappointed by reformulation.
    People always associate me with patchouli and animalic musks, in general. I think it is the woodiness and the more challenging aspect of non-mainstream fragrance they are picking up on.

Yatagan (vintage)
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme (vintage)
    Balenciaga pour Homme
    Songe d'un Bois d'Ete
    Sagamore
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Eau de Guerlain (vintage)
    Last edited by pluran; 23rd July 2014 at 04:33 PM.

Murdock Black Tea.

Probably CdG 2 Man or my own NorOud which includes a variety of different notes that are of things that make me happy: hoppy beer and the scent of oud...light pines and delicious fruit.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ONLY 4 LEFT! (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

All of my leather florals!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Aventus or Bentley for Men Intense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    All of my leather florals!
    Do tell! Can you fill us in on some?

Mumsy, darling, the one which seems to have chosen me, which is me personified, is Santa Maria Novella Pot Pourri. A friend unwittingly captured this sentiment recently. She said "Oh! I know why you like this. It's because this is what your house smells like" . Enough said.......

And if I catch a trail of Armani, I would be looking for you.

What's really funny about this question is that out of all the zillions of fragrances we can all wear. This is kind of nosy personal and it gives a real smelly insight into each of us here. Weird and quite wonderful. We can have a scent line up of BNers. Lol.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Murdock Black Tea.
    Jack - thanks to your reviews, I was always intrigued and *finally* last week a friendly BN'er sent me a nice size decant of Black Tea, and I have to say it's beautiful. Very soft and low key (so British!) but it's rendered beautifully. It's one of those impossible-to-get-in-the-US unicorn things, so I'm glad I was able to get this decant and will enjoy it sparingly. ;-) I'll be sure to keep it on my to-buy list when I next visit UK, likely the only way to bring back home a full bottle or two.

I'm glad you like it remik, it was love at first smell for me. Out of all the fragrances I have this one has a special place in my collection as something that resonates on a emotional level. Like when you are taken with a stunning piece of art.

I have been judged by people for my whole life. The two i think really represent me are tom ford black orchird and tobacco vanille. both loud and harsh opening says lot of myself : cold face, oh well he looks like hating this world and everybody. but if u can pass that opening dry down will be heaven. i think i am kinda weak and warm hearted. It is just the way i look that made people think i am cold

Or Black
    Tam Dao
    Basala
    Narsisco Rodrigues For Him
    Eau Sauvage
    Eau du Sud

Blog Entries

Completely forgot about Estée Lauder- Azurée! That's an absolute touchstone.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Esencia Loewe . It has a wonderful depth and an unflappable, thoughtful calmness about it that resonates with my personality.

Perhaps Armani Eau pour Homme or Knize Ten.

Rive Gauche
    Cartier Declaration
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

Les Exclusifs de Chanel Beige.

Blog Entries

"World is Wonderful, Life is a European Vacation" Redneck: Terre d'Hermes (and variations)

"Get on the Motorcycle and See Where It Goes" Redneck: Bulgari Black

"Shower, Shave, and Deal With The Zombie Apocalypse" Redneck: Bleu de Chanel

"The Universe Is Beautiful and Makes Sense and It's Great to Be Alive" Redneck: Sel de Vetiver or Chanel no.5 Eau Premiere

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    "World is Wonderful, Life is a European Vacation" Redneck: Terre d'Hermes (and variations)

"Get on the Motorcycle and See Where It Goes" Redneck: Bulgari Black

"Shower, Shave, and Deal With The Zombie Apocalypse" Redneck: Bleu de Chanel

"The Universe Is Beautiful and Makes Sense and It's Great to Be Alive" Redneck: Sel de Vetiver or Chanel no.5 Eau Premiere
    These are so wonderfully happy and optimistic…. For no.2 I would jump on the back wearing 'Magie Noire'

I must be a Dior boy because the ones that come to mind are:

Dior Fahrenheit. Vintage formulations; I was wearing this around 1993–1997, and ladies swooned, even knowing full well I preferred boys.
    Dior Homme. Possibly my steadiest go-to these days; modern but refined, masculine but no need to over-perform its masculinity, like me.
    Dior Vetiver. I'm a sucker for vetiver. It works on my skin, it suits my penchant for woodsy-natural smells. I have a bunch of 'em, but this one has climbed to the top in a short time.
    Dior Eau Sauvage. The "classic" vibe of this is also timeless and still current. I wear this and feel like I'm never going wrong.

That's not to say the above are my top favorites (that list would involve Amouage for sure), but these Diors really seem like me.

Escada Homme
    Esencia Loewe
    Frank No. 2
    Platinum Egoiste
    Rose 31
    Nawab of Oudh
    Dunhill edition
    For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    These are so wonderfully happy and optimistic…. For no.2 I would jump on the back wearing 'Magie Noire'
    Climb aboard, mumsy! Sounds like the perfect frag!

Thats an interesting question.

I guess, for me, its the five below:

Musc Ravageur-FM
    1697-Frapin
    Chypre Palatin-MDCI
    Idole-Lubin
    Oyedo-Diptyque

What does that say about me? I am an intensely curious person, with a lot of different interests.
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

Woman III by Jil Sander
    Obsession by Calvin Klein
    Coco by Chanel
    L'heure bleue by Guerlain
    Shalimar (Charms Edition) by Guerlain
    Niki de Saint Phalle
    Silences by Jacomo

so far, if more pop up. I will post them.

Redneck Perfumisto, I like your "categories". Long ago a boyfriend and I, we did no.2 when going to France, we ended up in amazing places. One time we had a run-down palace (the Youth Hostel) in the countryside just for ourselves. But that was before I got into perfumes (I only had Chèfreveuille). Now I would wear Paloma Picasso on a motorcycle tour.

Heritage by Guerlain - My default mode - complex, rich and light
    Habit Rouge EDP - When i'm feeling a bit mellow
    Interlude - In times of turbulence
    Egoiste - When i am feeling dapper
    MFK Oud - In very deep thought
    Muscs Khoublai Khan - When im in a sexy mode
    Mouchoir de Monsieur - When i feel like i belong to the 1800s, belle epoque.
    Spirituse Double Vanille - When i'm feeling arty and sensual at the same time
    Last edited by joey86; 18th June 2014 at 03:37 AM.
    seeking mitsouko 50ml's cap....desperately!!

The traditional me: Straight to Heaven
    The adman me: Encre Noire
    The college classroom me: MI
    The "40 degrees below freezing winter" me: Back to Black
    The "spring has sprung" me: Terre d'Hermes parfum
    The "turn up the air conditioning!" me: L'Humaniste or Flower of Immortality
    The "leaves are changing color" me: PdN New York
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Bel Ami - Serious
    Fahrenheit - Creativity/Individuality
    Five O’Clock Au Gingembre - Calmness
    Dior Eau Savauge Parfum - Masculinity

BelAmi by Hermes...without question

Caron Narcisse Noir
    Caron Poivre
    Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle
    Serge Lutens De Profundis
    Serge Lutens La Vierge de Fer
    Serge Lutens La Fille de Berlin

And definitely the upcoming Serge Lutens L'Orpheline
    Last edited by vegangirl; 18th June 2014 at 01:03 PM.

Creed - Aventus.

And not because of the hype.