Code of Conduct

Thread: Worth the price

Default Worth the price

I'm curious. Fragrances that top $200 seem a bit ridiculous to me. So my question is: What outrageously priced frag is worth every penny to you?
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Default Re: Worth the price

So far I only know one, but I Am not an example, as niche is 1% of what I own
    Its Paestum Rose Eau D`Italie

Blog Entries

People get into arguments here about how much is too much to spend on scent. No one wants to spend gobs of dough on anything, let alone something frivolous like frags. That said, I have spent a wad on samples so that I can zero in on the very best (IMO) and get what I feel is the best bang for my buck. These include French and Italian perfumes which are often highest quality. Many are independent perfumers- Ajne of California is one, Strange Invisible Perfumes is another. Nowadays when most ingredients of quality are restricted, when I find something that really blows my doors off, so to speak, I usually try to acquire it before it is re-formulated or d/c, but I am very selective. I don't spend a lot of money on inferior stuff that I will tire of in short order.

PS- Madini Oils ​are an excellent cheap thrill. Be sure to check them out.
    Last edited by kumquat; 14th May 2014 at 05:15 PM.

For me, House of Matriarch Blackbird...you can really tell there are high quality ingredients that were used and for me it is one of my favorites and worth every cent ($130/15ml.)
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

Sound Scents

Well, I guess if you go under the premise that any perfume over $200 is "outrageously priced" and "a bit ridiculous," then none.

That said, while the over $200 price point is indeed expensive relative to the average cost of perfume offerings in general, I have found far too many compositions to list that I feel are worth every penny to me (not to imply that the components themselves are objectively worth that cost, but rather how I value the end result and the effort that went into creating it). As an example, I would lead off my list with Portrait of a Lady (superb quality raw materials at a parfum concentration level composed by a perfumer with absolutely amazing skill). To me, it is priceless.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

For me amouage lyric man...larger than life Hollywood superstar rose...bright luxurious and bombastic...to me the best rose I have smelt till date...

Granted may be a bit too much overpowering for regular use but does make me feel fantastic!

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Not too many!

No frag is worth the exuberant prices posted for them but if you want them ...need to pay the piper ..lol Plus if you want exclusivity then you have to fork out the Euros/pesos if you want them ....capitalism bro! Everything relevant and subjective to each individual nose, and BANK ACCOUNT.....you could very well get to point B from A with a great designer scent or you can splurge on 700usd scent that no one around you has and get to point Z in your mind and personal olfactory heaven ...hence exclusivity.....Cheerios
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Clive Christian No. 1 Concentrated Pure Parfum Limited 30ml in Lead Crystal Bottle ($5,000). Worth the high price to me.
    Last edited by hednic; 14th May 2014 at 07:15 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Any fragrance that makes me feel thrilled to wear it is worth every penny. I equate it with the feeling some people get from owning an expensive car--every time you drive it, it's a bit exciting. I have a few that fall into that category--L'Heure Bleue, Sarrasins, Amouage Gold, a few others. Based on how much it costs per wearing versus how much joy and fun I get out of them, they aren't really that expensive. Cheaper than a sports car or a white-water rafting trip.

I'd say there's no superexpensive frag that's absolutely necessary - one can do perfectly with only reasonably priced things.

That said, if the budget allows, why not? I have some ridiculously priced JARSs (Eclair goes for $900 for 30ml, I believe) which are however striking and I'm happy to have. However, for me, the best spot for the quality (or better, my liking)/price ratio is something like Etat Libre d'Orange. Expensive, but not outrageously so, very solid quality and long lasting.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Price is a relative issue. If you make minimum wage, $200+ for a fragrance is a ridiculous amount, but if you make $500+ per hour.... it's a different game altogether.

One of the most expensive fragrances I paid serious money for was vintage Chanel Egoiste Cologne Concentree, after searching for months for it, and bidding unsuccessfully on eBay only to be outbid by snipers 1 second before the end of auction, I finally located a BNIB 100ml bottle, still shrink-wrapped, stored in perfect conditions for years... it was $750. Gulp. I bought it. Expensive, but - I love this one, so the price to me was justifiable. Then there was a Roja Dove Diaghilev split I went in on - 10ml for I think it was $109 (100ml bottle is $999 in the US), I got it because of all the hype and raves, but unfortunately it's not my style - it's way over the top French style perfume that you need to have either very big balls, or very big hair, to pull off. Sniffed it from the decant bottle, never sprayed once. It's up for sale currently. In this case the high cost wasn't justifiable - to me that is. If it was my style fragrance, I wouldn't have cared about the price, but since this one doesn't suit me at all - it was an expensive blind buy that gets no airtime.

As a teacher, I don't have the budget for bottles that high priced nor many occasions to wear something like that. I often look at my collection--which I love--and wonder what I'm missing from the niche world. I'm like you, kumquat, I'll get samples of the fancy stuff. Nothing has really blown my mind yet that justifies its price tag.

I just picked $200 as a random price. The main question was if there was a frag out there that you admitted was pricey, but absolutely worth it.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Value choices will always be subjective. Lets just say all the frags i have which cost > $200 and all the ones i have in view are worth it.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    For me, House of Matriarch Blackbird...you can really tell there are high quality ingredients that were used and for me it is one of my favorites and worth every cent ($130/15ml.)
    I'm intrigued by this one. I've heard it compared to Puredistance M and Fille en Aiguilles, both of which I love. If you've sampled those two, how do they compare to Blackbird? And what do you like about BB and when do you find yourself wearing it?

Blog Entries

Take a look at my wardrobe. I don't buy anything if I don't think it's "worth it".
    My current favorite niche house is Profumum. Arso is a great creamy cologne-style scent I highly recommend.
    the most costly scent I own is Djedi. It was around $28-ml, which is a staggering amount, but it was my holy grail from the moment I tried it. So was it worth it? I can't say. I guess so because I shelled out for it. I wish I hadn't had to, but there it is. It's like buying a Ferrari or some exotic rare thing. If you can afford it, and you love it, sometimes you just throw caution to the winds. I can't afford to do this on a regular basis but now and then, fortunately, I can swing it. (I tell my husband- at least I'm not on crack or something really expensive and detrimental).

As I am ALWAYS looking for a deal, I haven't paid full retail price on at least 85% of my collection. All of my niche fragrances have been found on a deal. That being said, if my bottle of New York Oud ran out and I couldn't find a deal, it would be worth every penny to me to pay the $350 asking price.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

I like to sample first. I wouldn't see myself as a hardcore collector. But I do tend to spend money if I like something. I also like to get the best price by looking at amazon etc. I can say this. Designers are just not as rare as niche in general. That doesn't mean the scent is better with niche. You still have rare designers like pure malt that to me is just as good.

There are some fragrances that are so good that they are well worth that to me. The problem is your budget which should ultimately decide. Buying a $600 fragrance is pretty outrageous if you don't have a lot of extra cash to spend.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Looking at my fragrance bills from the past couple of months... I think crack would have been the less expensive option.
    No kidding! Then there's gambling. At least I'm not attracted to that. To me it is just throwing money away. Very un satisfying.

Default Worth the price

I cannot believe I am having trouble stopping myself from purchasing just a few ml of Windsor for over 60 bucks. I am hooked on the stuff

Edit: also about to pull the trigger on moss breeches. Can't get enough of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by axmaster45; 15th May 2014 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Take a look at my wardrobe. I don't buy anything if I don't think it's "worth it".
    My current favorite niche house is Profumum. Arso is a great creamy cologne-style scent I highly recommend.
    the most costly scent I own is Djedi. It was around $28-ml, which is a staggering amount, but it was my holy grail from the moment I tried it. So was it worth it? I can't say. I guess so because I shelled out for it. I wish I hadn't had to, but there it is. It's like buying a Ferrari or some exotic rare thing. If you can afford it, and you love it, sometimes you just throw caution to the winds. I can't afford to do this on a regular basis but now and then, fortunately, I can swing it. (I tell my husband- at least I'm not on crack or something really expensive and detrimental).
    I'm intrigued by Profumum. I've read a lot of good things. Actually just ordered a sample of Acqua di Sale. We'll see how that goes.

Chanel Bois des Iles parfum does not quite top the $200 mark, but close enough when you consider it is 15ml. Worth every penny, and more.

Wear what you love, and splurge when you can, if you find one that is special to you. There are less expensive options to fill your every day - but on those days when nothing else will do, have what you love.

If i have enough money, i think couple of tom ford private blend flacons are really worth it not to mention they will give u a travel atomizer with 20ml in there so u end up paying for less than 2usd/ml. it well worth it.. 50 and 100 spray bottles look nice in the collection but price per ml is too much....

For me right now I would say it's Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford.

But to be honest, it's rare when I would justify purchases like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to give an answer that's probably kind of pretentious, but it's the most honest answer I can give.

I try only to buy fragrances that I really love, therefore, me buying a fragrance is both something of a commitment and an investment. When i have that kind of relationship with a fragrance, I really stop thinking about money. I don't know, they just become so personal, and of course they last me for so long, that I just can't really think about them in dollars anymore.

Honestly, the notion of spending even $100 on a bottle of fragrance makes my skin crawl, but once the money is spent, I don't care anymore.

Ones I think are just so damn great that I wouldn't think twice about spending the money:

Rose 31
    Egoiste (Concentree is a maybe)
    Dior Homme
    Last edited by moleo; 19th May 2014 at 02:06 AM.

The pricey ones that I've been comfortable shelling out for have been Amouages. I now have four in my collection, and they're among my favorites. I feel like I got what I paid for!

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Price is a relative issue. If you make minimum wage, $200+ for a fragrance is a ridiculous amount, but if you make $500+ per hour.... it's a different game altogether.
    This is true, but it's only one factor, and not necessarily the deciding one. I'm pretty sure I earn less than the OP, but even so, it's amazing what you can manage to afford if you save and prioritize. I don't eat out a lot, take expensive vacations, buy loads of clothing or shoes, etc. To me, $200 isn't necessarily ridiculous if I like the perfume enough. "Worth it" is based on any number of factors and completely in the eye of the beholder.

I don't have the disposible income some of you have, but I have come to realize that cheap usually does not make me happy. How many times have I bought a cheap scent because I thought it was good only to grow tired of it? More than I can count. Now, I am not saying that a higher price makes me happy. I gag when I think of the price I paid for Poivre 23, Carnal Flower or Tribute attar but have no regrets. But I have a couple of dozen bottles of cheaper scents I would gladly trade for a couple of bottles from Amouage. There are stratosphericly priced perfumes I will certainly not pay for though as they are just not worth the price. Roja Dove, I am looking at you!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I don't think that price is a relative issue. It's an objective question related to quality/price ratio. Then of course one can accept it and buy the scent if the same even knowing he/she's also paying something "else" in addition to the scent itself... personally I think that some discontinued/rare scents may be worth a reasonably higher cost, more than "normal" scents that are so pricey just to enrich the brand. However, unrelated to what I make per month, to me anything above 120/130 EUR/50 ml it's not worth its cost whatever gem it may be - if it I like it, I keep a wishlist for that, bargains happen all the time.
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Etro - Patchouly
    Costume National - 21
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    Hermès - Bel Ami (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Amouage Tribute and Homage attars.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    There are stratosphericly priced perfumes I will certainly not pay for though as they are just not worth the price. Roja Dove, I am looking at you!
    I'm with you on this; I don't even feel like getting on a split for this house...

Nothing is outrageus as long as you enjoy it.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

It's about how well that money is spent. In absolute terms, it's not unusual for someone to spend more than $200 on a few bottles of mediocre fragrances within months or a year. Why not spend an equivalent sum on a single bottle of high quality fragrance? Same goes with clothes. Buy quality that wears well on you rather than something that doesn't flatter your looks.

In my case: perhaps some vaulted/discontinued Creed, Guerlain or Floris, as well as an extra-sized bottle of almost any of my designer or niche favorites.

ask luxury good are no where near their retail price.

Marked up like you couldn't imagine.

Intrinsically , it's a whole other calculation.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Roja Dove Nüwa. It's like 1,200 bucks and for a woman, but its probably the best smelling juice I've come across
    Current rotation:

Ciel Man
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    L'Homme
    Scandal Pour Homme

For me, none. I think my absolute limit is the Chanel Les Exclusifs EDTs ($160 for 75 mL). But if I'm being completely honest, I have to admit that Tom Ford Champaca Absolute is very tempting. :P Maybe one day.

Basenotes Plus

Amouage for me. Tribute attar is probably the most expensive juice I own...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

I think most fragrances are overpriced considering the cost to make them as compared to the cost they sell for. But this can be said for most things in life. To me, if I like it and want it in my collection then it's worth the price.
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!