Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: setting up a workspace: odor "prevention"

I got this a few months ago

http://www.cotswold-perfumery.co.uk/...r-strip-holder

They seem now to be saying it's for course attendees only, but it may be worth asking.

As a seeming devotee of the deeply unglamorous, mine, in a line like that, is the edge of a corrugated cardboard box.... Lol.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- New club matters on hold whilst I care for my mum)

Twitter - @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients

I think you're just more creative than I am... Even my mother never pretended to admire my Blue Peter efforts...

01.jpgHi all
    I post some picture of a simple sistem that I use:
    two pieces of wood, some glue, and little clothespin that I
    bought for about one dollar.
    Very cheap and easy
    03.jpg02.jpg

.....and fantastic. Does the jobbie.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- New club matters on hold whilst I care for my mum)

My Tincture list

Been fiddling with the bottles again because I keep running out of shelf space.

A classy solution as ever......

Never has the Lego been so useful. But I need to build it again, one more Lego brick thicker. I can't see the labels behind well enough.

My Tincture list

Basenotes Plus

Nice, but I hope that the reach to the back isn't too far...

I could also see a retainer edge/lip/barrier on the front edge of each shelf to prevent cascading disasters... Maybe a strip of 1/8" thick plywood nailed to the front edge of those boards that would be 1/2" to 3/4" higher than the shelf surface...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

I think you are right. I just know that something will go for a burton sooner or later and onto a brick floor. Very stinky. I might get a deep soft rug too. A washable one...

Here it is half full. I haven't got the aromachems in yet. I wanted them all on the same shelf so I may have to bunch up. There are approx 80 more to go in. Of course this way has blocked the lights to the shelves below now. Before they went around the edge and let the light through..... Oh well. I will think on that later. It is a moveable feast. I suppose it perpetually morphs to suit the user.

My Tincture list

Basenotes Plus

I'm afraid to tell you that your space is already too small. there's no room to grow. I think you should plan on another same sized space next to it for expansion. As for the under shelves, try these LED Strip Lights in 12V:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Waterpro...item51ca286fdd

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Basenotes Plus

Unless this works better, at least it has better mounting capabilities...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-1m-12V-72...s/181256962406

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Well I squoze them all in, all but the V's of aromachems...... and having done so...it doesn't work well. So I need to do it all over again underneath on each shelf but maybe only four tiers each shelf. They are way too squashed. It is a cathartic job though.

I need to unmuddle myself for a nice event coming up. The village is having a mega huge bash in June to celebrate locally produced goods and local craftspeople, and the committee have asked me to do a perfume stand. It will be extremely good practice for me to get focussed and finish some perfumes properly.

They are glass shelves, so I hope the reinforced glass can take the weight....... That would be uber smelly. That's me done for thisevening.

Loving the lights thank you.

My Tincture list

Dependent

I'm using LED light strips similar to the second link Paul provided, they provide a perfect amount of light for my purposes. They don't heat up the room, they are low profile - so I can mount them on the bottom side of a shelf and are really inexpensive to run.
    Justin E. Beasley

Basenotes Member

Here's the setup I settled on for now. Perhaps it'd be useful for somebody.

Large quentities (1oz+ bottles) of ingredients I store in containers from Really Useful (http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.u...boxdetails.php) These are available in every office or art store here in Canada. Ingredients are arranged by alphabet, a letter or two per a box. I also tried to sort them by smell, but this proved to be quite a headache (linalool - did i put it with the roses or with the citruses?)

For immediate use, I keep small amounts in 15ml bottles (got them in bulk from PA and from a local cannabis store.). I experimented with dropper caps which I also got from PA, but turns out they are not air-tight - which i discovered when my vanillin magically transported itself to outside of the cap. (Does anybody know where I can get airtight ones?) The reason to use both small and large vials is to limit damage from accidental cross contamination if I by any chance use a wrong pipette or screw on a wrong cap. For further safety, I also put small colored stickers (got them at an office supply store) on bottle caps. Unfortunately these don't stick well, so I have to affix labels before every work session.

I keep the the 15ml bottles on little shelves I made from cardboard. I also have a couple of vial carriers from PA, which do their job admirably but cost $25 for several pieces of plastic.

I keep the results of my experiments (if they are worth keeping) in separate boxes, ordered by number (Rose0001, Muguet 0002 etc) The formulas I keep on index cards (i find them easier to navigate than a notebook) and in text files on my computer.

All of these I store in a simple cupboard, so far they all fit / I'm also considering buying a wine fridge to keep more delicate chemicals and my perfume collection nice and chilled.
    I use a box of baking soda to keep the smells down.maybe I also should invest into air purifier.

For labelling I use Brother PT-D200 label printer (http://www.brother.ca/en-CA/Ptouch/8...tDetail/PTD200, thanks pkiler for the pointer) which I bouth at the local Staples (Office en Gros in Quebec). It works well, the labels stick well to both glass and plastic. The only issue is that this particular model can only print two lines of text, so you have to abbreviate.

For weighting I got radwag wtb200 (http://www.radwag.com/en/wtb-200-pre...Z2,101-102-109) , which i bought on ebay (http://stores.ebay.ca/DISCOUNT-SCALE-WAREHOUSE-AND-MORE) This was the cheapest supplier of 1mg scales that ships to Canada.

For pipettes I use the dropper caps and plastic disposable pipettes that I label with the self same printer. I got the disposable pipettes from perfumer's supply house in bulk.

As of work surface, I use a simple wooden desk, but cover it with waxed paper (plastic wrap also works) before mixing and afterwards i throw it out. To prevent contaminating everything else (I am chronically clumsy) I wear disposable latex gloves. It helps to buy slightly more expensive ones, because the cheapest gloves keep breaking and then my fingers are covered with stinky crap and my wife complains that the computer smells like blackcurrant.

To keep pipettes and smelling strips off the table surface I use simple paper DIY holders, much like chopstick rests in japanese restaurants (like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopsti...Paper_Rest.jpg but less fancy).

For scent strips I use strips from PA. I tried cutting them from watercolor paper, but it's useful to have them in standard size and shape.

To test spray my creations, I got a bag of travel size atomizers from amazon (http://amzn.to/1AcRf7z) they are really just your standard 15ml vials with atomizer tops.

Quote Originally Posted by zemlya View Post
    my wife complains that the computer smells like blackcurrant.
    I've just sat down with a morning coffee to read my emails and this has made me laugh my head off. What a nice way to start a day. Thank you for that perfumers gem.

My Tincture list

Posting removed.
    Last edited by julian35; 17th February 2015 at 05:24 PM.

Why is everyone posting general wokspace stuff in the odor prevention thread?

Just the other day someone directed surfers to seach for general workspace stuff, and I fear those people are going to be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis View Post
    Why is everyone posting general wokspace stuff in the odor prevention thread?.
    I have removed my previous posting of my workspace and bottles I used. I had interpreted the conversation as general workspace setup. I will post again, if anyone is interested, if you can direct me to where it should be posted.
    Last edited by julian35; 17th February 2015 at 06:06 PM.

Surely the set up of a workspace is contributory to odour prevention and therefore relevent?

My Tincture list

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Surely the set up of a workspace is contributory to odour prevention and therefore relevent?
    I'm interested in practical usefulness for those using the search tool, and that if they want workplace setup info, they will miss it hidden here.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis View Post
    I'm interested in practical usefulness for those using the search tool, and that if they want workplace setup info, they will miss it hidden here.
    I totally understand the wish to have the information somehow in order when looking it up. But the purpose of this forum is not primarily to produce a well structured archive but to provide a space for creative minds communicating in the present moment; pondering, wandering, meandering, getting off track and back again.
    Who ever reads older threads will find out quickly that any thread is worth reading because most of them have some unexpected precious information to offer. An abundance of knowledge exchange that can not emerge from strictly „stay on-topic, please”.
    liaison carbone
    RAW MATERIALS FOR PERFUMERY

I agree. I was enjoying being so nosy in other peoples houses. I love seeing how everyone sets their stuff up.

My Tincture list

Smile Re: setting up a workspace: odor "prevention"

Ok, I think I found the correct "place" for my post. I reposted in DIY LAB.
    Last edited by julian35; 18th February 2015 at 11:23 PM.

I know it's been several years but in case anyone comes across this thread and needs an idea for holding scent strips, I thought I'd post this. I had an idea of what I needed but couldn't think how to make it and then I saw this picture of Mandy Aftel's studio. It took me awhile to figure out what she was using but then I remembered book origami I'd seen someplace. The hard part is finding a fairly small, somewhat thick book to work with. I made one for myself and it works great!

AftelPerfumeStripBook.jpg

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by thomash View Post
    Hey,

Do any of you use mechanical/motorised ventilation? I could install this on the available pipes quite easily, even convert a closet in an improv fume hood.

I'd recommend an external mount fan. They pull a lot of air / high CFM and the motor is on the other side of the wall so very low noise. I went with this type for my basement lab: https://www.amazon.com/Fantech-RVF4X...st+fan+fantech

This is a bit of a late reply to the origami book scent strip holder. I really love the idea and would like to make one, but I can't find any instructions. Where can I find them?

Edit: I found out that the keyword for this art is simply "book folding". Searching for this will yield plenty of tutorials and instructions.
    Last edited by Agate; 15th April 2019 at 02:01 PM.

I was wondering what people did with their spaces. I have some room in my basement that's unfinished I think I'll just frame in a small room enough to work in and while I'm framing it in I'll just use heavy plastic tarp almost like a Dexter kill room? Then make sure it's near a basement window to vent outside. I'm just thinking my neighbors might wonder what the fuck is that smell? Seems like It would work and keep the smell to a minimum and out of the rest of house.
    Currently wearing: Back to Black by By Kilian

Basenotes Plus

A separate room is ideal. Put in an exhaust fan too, if you can, since there seems to be no cross drafting available.

What's the purpose of the plastic?
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

It would be to keep any fumes out of the rest of the basement and the rest if the house hopefully..
    Currently wearing: Back to Black by By Kilian