Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 47 of 47
  1. #1

    Default What's with the oud craze?

    I really don't get it. I don't hate the stuff, but it's just not the compelling to me. And it's in so many scents these days. Is it because it's a nice base that plays well with other ingredients?

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    79,324

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Actually like the note/accord. It seems it has become trendy lately to include at least one oud scent in a house's lineup.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Trends are a strange thing, and most of the time we don't even know why something becomes a trend. My guess is: Oud became trendy because the companies can make lots of profit with it. When people hear "Oud", they associate it with riches and exotic beauty. And why do they think of Oud this way? Because every press release of a new Oud fragrance mentions how "luxurious" and "decadent" this material is. They do it so the consumers start to covet their new product. And it works. What they don't tell the consumer: Very few Oud perfumes actually contain the real ingredient. Most use synthetic substitutes which are much cheaper, and yet they charge extremely high prices compared to the rest of their products, to make the illusion of luxury perfect (and, of course, to make a lot of money).

    Apart from how the industry makes lots of money out of this Oud trend, I love Oud perfumes, no matter if they use synthetic or natural Oud.

  4. #4

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Oud is the newer kid on the block, but really what isn't in "so many fragrances these days"?

    Lemon, Vanilla, Vetiver, Amber, Ambergris, Cedar, Bergamot, Neroli, Leather... Couldn't the same be said about these and a dozen other notes? It's not in everything yet, but it is sure playing catch-up. Not a bad thing IMO - it's not a zero-sum game, so as long as it doesn't start crowding out other ones, it's ok with me.
    Seasonal favorites:

    1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4.
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

  5. #5
    Dependent bigbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Central Oregon
    Posts
    2,152

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Yeah, I noticed this too.(it's hard not to right?!lol) I don't get it either, because oud doesn't seem like it's a super popular/appreciated smell in the western world.(as a whole, I mean...but tides appear to be turning) And yet, they still crank them out almost on a daily basis. I'm all for having new olfactory experiences and ingredients, but who wants to smell strongly medicinal....so I'll take frags with oud as a non-dominate/not a key player role thank you very much!(looking at you Euphoria Intense!)

  6. #6

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    The great thing is that you have about a million other options. So find something you do like.

  7. #7

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    I'd guess it has something to do with the availability of cheaper synthetics- everyone can afford an oud perfume now. Plus, there are parts of the world where it isn't a trend but a staple of a perfume wardrobe. Just because it's new to us doesn't mean it's new.

  8. #8
    Basenotes Junkie bigbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    585

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    There should be an Oud Council that verifies the scent of Oud in a fragrance. That way we'll be saved from pseudo-oud scents.
    I expect a prominent oud note if a perfume claims it's oudy, if not then it shouldn't have oud in the name imo.

    Out of the plethora of oud scents I've only found a few that are worthy of the appendage.

  9. #9

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    IMO fragrance companies/marketers need to create a buzz around a woody basenote to replace the "need" for Mysore Sandalwood.

  10. #10

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    It's what's in at the time. Just like a style or fashion.

  11. #11
    Basenotes Junkie Wheatstraw2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    743

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    I really like most oud variants. I used to think that the best options for my winter rotation were heavily sweet or spicy names, and most of my winter rotation is still that way, but oud has become a welcome new choice for me in the cooler weather.

    I suppose that oud has become a bit faddish and maybe even overdone at this point. Not that I care. I like it and that's enough for me.

    Seriously, though, I think that the more pertinent question is, why did western parfumeurs so comprehensively ignore it for so long?

  12. #12

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    The oud craze is in effect because it smells good and it's "new" to a lot of consumers.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

  13. #13
    Dependent bigbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Central Oregon
    Posts
    2,152

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    Seriously, though, I think that the more pertinent question is, why did western parfumeurs so comprehensively ignore it for so long?
    Yes, was thinking that exact same thing myself!!!

  14. #14
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,865

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Oud is great. Most oud fragrances aren't.

  15. #15

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    Is it because it's a nice base that plays well with other ingredients?
    Yes, I believe so.

  16. #16

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    The experience one gains from a drop of 100% pure natural oudh oil is truly transcendent and a spiritual experience and I'm willing to spend £££ on a tiny bottle of this precious oil produced and sold by trusted vendors (Agaraura, Ensar, Feeloud, etc). However that's for the pure oils......with regards to the niche brands it's a totally different story. ....in most cases all I smell is a tiny percentage of pure oudh mixed and augmented with a high percentage of synthetics ouds (namingly Givaudan's Black Agar and Firmenich's agarwood blend) and these synthetics are dirt cheap and are very popular. I know this because I've these two synthetics in my possession for reference purposes.
    In some cases some niche houses have 'oudh' compositions that contain absolutely none of the real oud oil in there and still charge £££...... £
    So in conclusion apart from some niche oudh compositions, 90% of them are truly not worth it.
    I've found MFK and Xerjoff to use a high percentage of the real stuff but still am thinking twice before I buy.
    For some super rare goodies check me out on ebay: scents-rarity
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1512613529...84.m1555.l2649

  17. #17

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    >>> Seriously, though, I think that the more pertinent question is, why did western parfumeurs so comprehensively ignore it for so long?

    Because perfumers have had a lot of other materials to play with. I think that it is no coincidence that oud craze has started right in time of IFRA restrictions tightening the grip on industry.

    Think of oud as the new oakmoss. It actually can rightfully claim the title, if you think of the sheer numbers of oud perfumes that appeared after M7

  18. #18

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    ... why did western parfumeurs so comprehensively ignore it for so long?
    The real oud (at least of any appreciable quality) simply cannot be used in mass-produced fragrances - there's just not enough of it and it costs way too much, not to mention the impossibility of achieving scent uniformity without blending many different batches thereby destroying the character of each in the process. This was true decades ago and is even more so now.

    So until Firmenich and Givaudan came up with their dirt-cheap synthetics, there was no oud fragrances in the West. As paradoxical as it may sound there still practically aren't any, even with the dozens of ridiculously overpriced and overhyped "oud" frags flooding the market these days which are "oud" in name only.

  19. #19

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    And only of you people realize today 99% of oud perfumes out there aren't really like what real oud oil smells like.

    for swap/sale:





  20. #20

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Not sure but perhaps people and the market has gotten tired of the Citrus Vanilla woodsy leather stuff so Oud was probably the next logical step...to me, Oud fragrances really don't harbor the compliments from the opposite sex....in fact, I'd say I have gotten the opposite reaction from many people when I have worn heavy Oud scents like Oud Wood and ADP Oud.....people just don't like it, especially my wife and many other females I have come across....so to say that Oud scents smell great is highly subjective...and if you don't care what people thinks then by all means splash it on.....but I DO happen to care so I rarely wear the stuff.....NOW, in saying that Oud fragrances that are mixed with other stuff works well for me like MFK Oud, Royal Oud and others....Many would argue that the ones I mentioned aren't really Oud scents are contain very little Oud but I don't care....they actually smell good and that to me is all that matters.....
    FOR SALE:

    Cedrat Enivrant 30ml-

    Brecourt Esprit Mondain 1.7 oz.

  21. #21

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    I wish there was a spray scent on the market that could replicate sweet Cambodian Oud as that stuff is really good.

  22. #22

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Money- Profits, Bandwagon.

    ADP jumped in real late so It's still going

    I have been sick of it for some time now and actively avoid testing any more

  23. #23

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I wish there was a spray scent on the market that could replicate sweet Cambodian Oud as that stuff is really good.
    To those of us in the elementary (Western) class, used only to the tame pleasures of Tom Ford Oud Wood, M7, Creed's Royal Oud and that AdP one, can you give us the benefit of your experience of Cambodian Oud? I'm intrigued.

  24. #24

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    To those of us in the elementary (Western) class, used only to the tame pleasures of Tom Ford Oud Wood, M7, Creed's Royal Oud and that AdP one, can you give us the benefit of your experience of Cambodian Oud? I'm intrigued.
    I purchased this bottle of real Deer Musk in Sandalwood and got a free bottle of Cambodian Oud XX which was very nice indeed. It smells like sweet woody caramel but better, that's the closest I can describe it. The scent has been haunting me as I have been wishing there was a spray version. Mainly because I have been getting red itchy skin rashes with my exploration into real Oud oils and musks and have had to curtail my journey into them.

    If you want Marais I can give you my bottle of Cambodian oud and you can try it out for yourself. PM me your details if your interested and I will get it posted to you next week.

  25. #25

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    And only of you people realize today 99% of oud perfumes out there aren't really like what real oud oil smells like.
    It's a good point and undoubtedly true, but at this point I wonder if it matters. Seems like an entire "western" oud movement has taken hold and proliferated. It may bear little resemblance to what our Asian or Middle Eastern friends recognize, but it's become a distinct, identifiable category of perfume in its own right. So the question seems valid for discussion, even if frames of reference are different.

  26. #26

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I purchased this bottle of real Deer Musk in Sandalwood and got a free bottle of Cambodian Oud XX which was very nice indeed. It smells like sweet woody caramel but better, that's the closest I can describe it. The scent has been haunting me as I have been wishing there was a spray version. Mainly because I have been getting red itchy skin rashes with my exploration into real Oud oils and musks and have had to curtail my journey into them.

    If you want Marais I can give you my bottle of Cambodian oud and you can try it out for yourself. PM me your details if your interested and I will get it posted to you next week.
    PM on the way

  27. #27

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    It's a good point and undoubtedly true, but at this point I wonder if it matters. Seems like an entire "western" oud movement has taken hold and proliferated. It may bear little resemblance to what our Asian or Middle Eastern friends recognize, but it's become a distinct, identifiable category of perfume in its own right. So the question seems valid for discussion, even if frames of reference are different.
    Perhaps this would be true if the now ubiquitous "ouds" weren't marketed as something they are not and sold at a large premium with the excuse of being "rare", "precious" and "mysterious". Big aluminium containers stamped "Black Agar GIVCO 215" are nothing of the sort, regardless of how much the SA at the Creed counter is melting with delight about "helping poor villagers in India sustain their traditional way of life searching for the precious wood in the ancient jungle".

    And as for the experience itself - I'd venture out to say that these "ouds" are at best a pale and profane imitation of life, like what a crude cartoon on a public washroom wall is to actual lovemaking

    But yeah, discussed it should be, as long as it's clear what the subject of the discussion actually is.

  28. #28

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    In the western context Oud is a successful marketing strategy for positioning a largely synthetic woody note on the market. It fulfills all the requirements of a traditional orientalist narrative as it's been employed in the business since the days of Hammam Bouquet.


    sent from a mobile device - please excuse any swelling mistakes
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  29. #29

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    While I like using real oud and wearing it...I doubt many people would share the same sentiments outside of a select few in the Basenotes community and even smaller percentage in the mass market. I enjoy using Black Agar from Givco in conjunction with the good stuff :-)

    Shockingly, my oud scent which contained Black Agar from Givco, Oud Blend from Firmenich, Bouya Agarwood and a Cambodia Oud Attar (along with many other notes) sold to mostly women (must have smelled somewhat good!)...There is hope outside of the mass market stuff!
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

    *** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

  30. #30
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New York city
    Posts
    1,358

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    I feel like oud scents are very hit and miss. When they're good they're fantastic (I still wouldn't wear the majority of the good ones) but when they're bad they're god awful
    Seasonal rotation:

    Santal Imperial
    Ambre Topkapi
    Rose 31
    Green Irish Tweed
    Original Santal
    Prada Amber PH

  31. #31

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    Big aluminium containers stamped "Black Agar GIVCO 215" are nothing of the sort, regardless of how much the SA at the Creed counter is melting with delight about "helping poor villagers in India sustain their traditional way of life searching for the precious wood in the ancient jungle
    Lol! I will never forget the day when a Killian SA approached me with Killian Pure Oud and I in return made her blind smell 3ml of Firmenich's Agarwood blend.......her reaction was automatically how on earth did I manage to get the exact oud used in Killian Pure Oud and it must have cost me an extortionate amount. .......I just laughed and explained that it cost me less than $6! And if interested I could get her 80ml for $74
    She just turned bright red and looked totally perplexed..........
    For some super rare goodies check me out on ebay: scents-rarity
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1512613529...84.m1555.l2649

  32. #32

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Orientalism and cultural appropriation is playing a significant role.

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    While I like using real oud and wearing it...I doubt many people would share the same sentiments outside of a select few in the Basenotes community
    I like some of the Western ouds, but yes, they bare little resemblance to what oud actually smells like. I can't imagine many people would find the real thing very appealing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    To those of us in the elementary (Western) class, used only to the tame pleasures of Tom Ford Oud Wood, M7, Creed's Royal Oud and that AdP one, can you give us the benefit of your experience of Cambodian Oud? I'm intrigued.
    If you hunt down Phoenicia's RealOud, for example, you'll get a good example what Syoofi smells like—pungent blue cheese and grass.

  33. #33

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Excellent stuff...opens quite dank and closes like a wonderful garden w/ grass, rose and dash of dirt.

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Phoenicia's RealOud, for example, you'll get a good example what Syoofi smells like—pungent blue cheese and grass.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

    *** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

  34. #34

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post

    ... I can't imagine many people would find the real thing very appealing.
    The thing is - there is no one "real thing" when it comes to oud. There are so incredibly diverse within the different species, geographical areals and even the distillation techniques, the scent spectrum is almost limitless. Even within one single oil extracted from one tree there are dozens if not hundreds (or even thousands) of different isomers which when combined give the oud oils their insanely dynamic olfactory richness and crazy scent development as the oils dry down.

    Each oud tree that contains oud will have very different types of oud resin in its different parts, and the resulting aroma will vary greatly depending on the resin's relative position in the tree itself, its age, the resin/oil content and the myriad other factors that contributed to its formation. "Oud" is not a note which can be tried and then liked or disliked. Instead, it's an enormous body of scent profiles and nuances some of which may be repulsive while others - divine. Each one is so complex it will take months if not years to fully appreciate its fine facets.

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    If you hunt down Phoenicia's RealOud, for example, you'll get a good example what Syoofi smells like—pungent blue cheese and grass.
    While Phoenicia's RealOud undoubtedly uses some measure of actual oud oil, I would not wear the fragrance if I was paid to do so. And not because it's somehow "bad" but simply because the type of oud they used is not my cup of tea. Having said that I am sure it finds its own fans, just like I have ouds that I won't part with at (almost) any price.

    Oud is one single natural fragrant ingredient that has within itself a variety not even remotely approachable by any other and I am absolutely convinced that there is an oud for everyone. The sad part is that for most of us it is very hard to discover our true oud taste because the really good pure stuff is so ridiculously hard to find and so retardedly expensive. There's plenty of decent cultivated oils which are relatively affordable and perfectly wearable, but they don't even begin to approach the crazy shocking beauty of the oils from years and decades ago when wild oud was still around in quantity and distillers could use the higher quality wood which in today's word would result in the oils costing thousands of dollars per 1ML even if it were still available in large enough quantities.

    EDIT: As for the pungent blue cheese stink - that's a result of oversoaking of wood prior to distillation, this is routinely done with Indian and some Thai (Cambodi-type) wood to facilitate oil extraction and maximize yield. I cannot stand the typical oversoaked low grade ouds, but the reality is - this is the most common type available on the "pure oud" market, and this is what most people are likely to come by. Needless to say, such encounters leave most very disappointed and confused as to what all the hype is about - this stuff is just plain nasty! When short soaking or no soaking techniques are used as well as better water and careful distillation tweaking, the oils smell completely different - clean, airy, far more nuanced and with their delightful woodiness in plain view. All these notes are usually completely obscured by the cheese and barnyard funk of your typical oversoaked Hindi or "Cambodi" from the large houses who also blend many different batches to achieve scent uniformity and volume.

  35. #35

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    What's with the oud craze?
    Oud smells good.

    what's with the rose craze? or the amber craze? or the neroli craze? or the cedar craze?

  36. #36

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    I just wish the oud craze would end already. I too don't find oud to be anything too compelling. Especially since pretty much every oud fragrance coming out has a high price tag and is focusing on like 2 notes. Either putting oud with rose, amber, or some other note. They often smell similar with slight tweaks.

    I wish there would be a forest craze. Like pine, cypress, juniper notes. Ohhh I would be in heaven!
    My 3 Signature Scents:

    Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

  37. #37

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    HI all
    Igor, have you smelled Zbh oud (Zero barnyard hindi) .?

  38. #38

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    This what I wrote to Taha about the ZBH:

    I am loving ZBH! I tend to crave Hindi's when it's cool...and can't wait for the next fall and winter (a crazy thing to say after the mini ice age we've just had) to fully appreciate its warm, sweet, clean un-Hindi Hindiness I still can't believe that an oil this young can come across as such a dignified and accomplished aroma with its elements un-obscured by any fresh still notes. It's complex, balanced and very pretty - a remarkable feat for an un-aged oil! My favourite part is the perfect marriage between the ethereal vapouriness we've first seen in your Aatma and the confident yet aloof woody basenote that gives the oil such a well-rounded character - its crown is up in the clouds but the roots are firmly planted in the soil, and at no point does it come across as just any one of those things but always the sum of all. The other thing I admire about ZBH - how it manages to stay a Hindi while projecting a very archetypal "oudy" aroma without constantly reminding you about its geographical origin, it's a very rare quality in oud oils as I am sure you know I knew I had to have a bottle the minute I first sniffed it from the applicator stick, that hardly ever happens to me... I think this is your best oil to date, Taha - I am happy to see that your hard work on accumulating knowledge, seeking out the best material and equipment and working on fine-tuning and perfecting the distillation methods has paid off in such a spectacular oil, thank you!

  39. #39

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I just wish the oud craze would end already. I too don't find oud to be anything too compelling. Especially since pretty much every oud fragrance coming out has a high price tag and is focusing on like 2 notes. Either putting oud with rose, amber, or some other note. They often smell similar with slight tweaks.

    I wish there would be a forest craze. Like pine, cypress, juniper notes. Ohhh I would be in heaven!
    Not true! Jovan Oud Intense is not bad at all, and you can get it for next to nothing at the moment. First of all, I'm not sure that I've ever tried "high quality oud," so that may be an issue. Next, like anything else, the other notes in the scent are going to be quite important. Finally, some people seem to either go with a fad or get irritated by it, so it's important to be able to put bias aside. To me, oud can be like a softer version of aldehydes, in terms of texture and structure, but the most important thing is the overall composition. I certainly don't see any reason to pay " big bucks" for an oud scent, but perhaps I have yet to sample expensive ones that I would consider worth buying.

  40. #40

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    I'm going to sum up the oud craze in a few thoughts. And at the end of these two thoughts, it'll be obvious as to why I hope oud sticks around as a note in fragrances.

    Oud blends marvelously into a base. I'll cite two perfect examples: Interlude Man by Amouage, and Bond no. 9's Andy Warhol.

    As of today, by mainstream standards, Oud is different. Tomorrow, that may not be the case and that's fine. Today, many scents use the word "Oud" in their name as a way to generate sales, but is that really so different than Amber? Amber isn't even a note, it's an accord, but nobody balks at Ambre 114, or Ambre Precious, or Prada Amber - which isn't even amber, by the way! It's Ambergris!

    Eventually, some other note will captivate perfumers and perfume buyers, and it will be the new 'thing,' as far as I'm concerned, that will be great.

    We should be thankful some perfumer said "Hey, this is captivating..."
    We should be thankful other perfumers agreed. Why?
    Because we get great perfume.
    And perfumery evolves.

    As perfumer after perfumer starts highlighting a note, does it become a bandwagon at some point? Of course it does. But so what?! Who cares? Some of the bandwagon scents will be garbage and we'll pan them, but others will be fantastic, and we'll be thankful to have them.

    I mean, really now... let's be honest.
    Do we really not want anyone to ever create another amber scent?
    Do we really not want anyone to ever create another leather scent?
    Do we really not want anyone to ever create another incense scent?
    Do we really not want anyone to ever create another tobacco scent?
    Do we really not want anyone to ever create another citrus scent?
    Do we really not want anyone to ever create another musk scent?
    Do we really not want anyone to ever create another rose scent?
    ...I could go on and on and on.

    Yeah, yeah yeah, it's fun to jump on the anti-bandwagon and rant about oud this and oud that... but it would be just as easy to rant about amber this and amber that. Who cares.

    I've smelled some bad ouds.
    I've smelled some good ouds.

    If ten bad ouds get released before there's another good one, I'll still be glad to sniff the one good one. If ten new ambers get released before there's another good one, I'll still be glad to sniff the one good one.

    Don't fall for cliche backlash.

    If you smell a new scent and you think it sucks, say so. But don't write off a note for the sake of hopping on a bandwagon. That's cliche. And, worse, it's lame.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  41. #41

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Not true! Jovan Oud Intense is not bad at all, and you can get it for next to nothing at the moment. First of all, I'm not sure that I've ever tried "high quality oud," so that may be an issue. Next, like anything else, the other notes in the scent are going to be quite important. Finally, some people seem to either go with a fad or get irritated by it, so it's important to be able to put bias aside. To me, oud can be like a softer version of aldehydes, in terms of texture and structure, but the most important thing is the overall composition. I certainly don't see any reason to pay " big bucks" for an oud scent, but perhaps I have yet to sample expensive ones that I would consider worth buying.
    Just the name oud and Jovan in the same line makes me cringe, same with Jacomo and Kanon on the oud bangwagon. Oud essential oil is pretty expensive, so when these cheaper companies make it and sell it at a low price, it's likely just aromachemicals, and other notes producing the oud accord than the note of oud itself. As from what I have heard about Jovan Oud itself, the oud note is barely noticeable in there.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

    Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

  42. #42

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    Perhaps this would be true if the now ubiquitous "ouds" weren't marketed as something they are not and sold at a large premium with the excuse of being "rare", "precious" and "mysterious". Big aluminium containers stamped "Black Agar GIVCO 215" are nothing of the sort, regardless of how much the SA at the Creed counter is melting with delight about "helping poor villagers in India sustain their traditional way of life searching for the precious wood in the ancient jungle".

    And as for the experience itself - I'd venture out to say that these "ouds" are at best a pale and profane imitation of life, like what a crude cartoon on a public washroom wall is to actual lovemaking
    Of course, but replace "ouds" in your reply with "roses" or "sandalwood" or just about any other "precious" natural ingredient and the same holds true. Perfume companies have been using "rare," "precious," and "mysterious" along with lots of other BS in their marketing forever. So we're all supposed to clutch our pearls and hyperventilate now because they're doing it with oud?

  43. #43
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Quote Originally Posted by EncreNous View Post
    IMO fragrance companies/marketers need to create a buzz around a woody basenote to replace the "need" for Mysore Sandalwood.
    Absolutely agreed. And oud does double duty on that score, because the "sharp" facet of oud replaces oakmoss/chypre, which can no longer serve effectively in that role.
    * * * *

  44. #44
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    So we're all supposed to clutch our pearls and hyperventilate now because they're doing it with oud?
    LOL!!!

    Did someone say "barnyard oud"? Mercy! Get me to the fainting couch in the tack room!
    * * * *

  45. #45
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I wish there would be a forest craze. Like pine, cypress, juniper notes. Ohhh I would be in heaven!
    I hear you on that! I just pulled out the uber-balsamic Eau Sauvage Parfum today for a cold wave, and MAN - I just realized that I should have been wearing that one all winter.
    * * * *

  46. #46

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    ... .

    EDIT: As for the pungent blue cheese stink - that's a result of oversoaking of wood prior to distillation, this is routinely done with Indian and some Thai (Cambodi-type) wood to facilitate oil extraction and maximize yield. I cannot stand the typical oversoaked low grade ouds, but the reality is - this is the most common type available on the "pure oud" market, and this is what most people are likely to come by. Needless to say, such encounters leave most very disappointed and confused as to what all the hype is about - this stuff is just plain nasty! When short soaking or no soaking techniques are used as well as better water and careful distillation tweaking, the oils smell completely different - clean, airy, far more nuanced and with their delightful woodiness in plain view. All these notes are usually completely obscured by the cheese and barnyard funk of your typical oversoaked Hindi or "Cambodi" from the large houses who also blend many different batches to achieve scent uniformity and volume.
    Thanks so much for explaining, Igor.
    I've come across a few blue cheese-type Ouds and wholly agree - that sh!t's nasty. And I say this as someone who loves both blue cheese and stinky perfumes.

  47. #47

    Default Re: What's with the oud craze?

    I'm like you - I don't get it either.
    Nothing wrong with it, but nothing compelling.
    Regards,
    Renato

Similar Threads

  1. Argan Oil Craze
    By klimax in forum Cosmetics & Beauty
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 28th August 2014, 12:38 PM
  2. Your Thoughts On The Oud Craze
    By Jack Hunter in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 26th April 2012, 05:32 PM
  3. What started the oud craze?
    By heynow in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 4th October 2009, 03:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •