Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default S.O.T.D. - Friday, 16 May, 2014.

Hi everyone - happy Friday!

Chypre Palatin.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Friday, 16 May, 2014.

Hello all.

Creed Santal Impérial
    DONNA

queen of the universe

Good early morning. I woke up too early to a delightful bird near my window and a plaintive train horn in the distance—and no road traffic sounds. 4 a.m., in other words. The bird had a four note/two note call, kind of like "Whaddaya know? Cheer up! Whaddaya know cheer up!" and a few variations.

Now, with what shall I synch? Seeing as spring is here and sumer is icumen in, the challenge to find something I haven't worn in a year will have me seeking out a summer fragrance. Ah! It will be either Oscar dela Renta's Volupte, a melony green floral,or Myrurgia's classic Nueva Maja, floral aldehyde that makes me think of Manuel da Falla's "Nights in the Gardens of Spain." Nueva Maja it is!

Thanks for all the kind wishes re: my son. My daughter has been by my side through this and he has a good case manager. It's time to make a big move, which is to figure out his next living situation. The priority is that he not have to move across town or into some dicey neighborhood. There are some good group living and supported apartment plans in our neck of the woods, hopefully one has an opening or at least a waiting list that's not too long. DS is in his early 20s, a time for any young man to live away from family. Had a good visit with him and his nurse on duty last evening. I'm feeling heartened.

And now for some music. First, this:

Now, the quintessential interpreter:
    Last edited by jujy54; 16th May 2014 at 09:06 AM.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!
    Currently wearing: Odalisque by Nicolaï

´morning Ladies,

,,,,,,,,N° 19, vintage (80s) EDT

Happy Friday.
    Bottega Veneta Eau Legere
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Basenotes Plus

(((((Jujy)))))

Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la Route du Mexique

Best to all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Toni Gard by Toni Gard

I've just opened the most fabulous parcel. A delivery from Fragonard in Paris, containing a bottle of their Patchouli EdT and some of the most gloriously perfumed soaps that I think I've ever met. Their orange blossom is perfuming my entire house with the 'summer in a bottle' that is neroli and the fragrance that they just call 'Monsieur' is just heavenly.

I started out the day in Ô de Lancome, joining the lovely weather today with a very summery fragrance and I've just added in a little of the Patchouli and they go together rather well actually.

I'm suddenly rather fond of the Fragonard site actually. Reasonably priced and beautifully fragranced goods with freebies and samples thrown in too, and delivered all the way from France in only 3 days from order. I've known lots of sites in the UK that couldn't manage that

I hope that everybody is having a good day
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'
    Currently wearing: Piper Leather by Illuminum

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Friday, 16 May, 2014.

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Amouage Epic Man today.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Juicy Couture Dirty English today
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone! I forgot about the sync today, so I am wearing my decant of 31 Rue Cambon.

I will try to sync tonight for dinner out with my Dad and stepmother - now what will I wear??? I haven't worn Black Orchid in a while so I could wear that.

Good morning, everyone -

I'm in a bit of vintage Aliage for tennis, 70s "Sport Fragrance Spray."

Y'all have a great day!

More encouraging hugs to you and your son, ((jujy)), and thanks for the beautiful Falla. Alicia de Larrocha was (and still is) an absolute favorite of mine, a major influence and a huge source of inspiration. What a wonderful way to start the day!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

In synch with the original Halston from 1975. It was a gift from my husband way back then. Of course, like everything else I understand it had been reformulated since then. I haven't tried the new version. The old one is a chypre. It is nice to wear this old friend on a rainy day here in Philadelphia.

Have a nice day everyone.
    Betsy

Out of synch today, but instead finishing a sample I have had for ages, L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer. Just a tiny bit left of this delicate white floral incense. Happy Friday!
    Currently wearing: Bois des Îles by Chanel

((Jujy)) and ((Mike)) you handed yourself beautifully. Glad you are felling better.

Quarry you are amazing, an avian mound sounds magnificent. Is it strange I find your ambition to become the ghost of Quarry House entirely admirable?

Cello you are a darling to indulge me. I would never disown a fellow Chanel-ophile. I'm in Dior Homme today.

Jon Dubrovnik was a delight. It was heartening to see the repair and restoration work on all the buildings damaged in the 91 bombings. One of the locals I was chatting to said it somewhat of a blessing in disguise because she got a new roof out of it. There is much to be said about looking on the bright side of life.

In synch tonight with Gucci Eau de Parfum II. I received it as a gift years ago and worn it exactly twice including today. I suspect it won't get a third wearing.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Going through the decant drawer, which I haven't raided for a while, I thought I'd wear Terracotta Voile d’Ete for the sync, but it's evaporated beyond spraying. It's still plenty potent to enjoy as a momentary pleasure, smelling like an earlier Guerlain vintage than its release date of 1999. Perhaps the name is too suggestive, but I do picture orange-brown terra-cotta flower pots or sunset-lit stucco walls in an old garden every time I smell its dusky, soft sweetness.

SFmedusa exalts Fragonard today, and I can get onboard with that by wearing their Rose de Mai, which I've long neglected. It's not heavily weighted with rosewater (yay!), but lifted into green territory by other floral notes and blackcurrant. Supposedly these notes: rose, gardenia, violet, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, ylang-ylang, blackcurrant leaf. Since I dabbed it on, I believe its bright disposition has actually pulled the sun from out behind the clouds.

As you imply, Medusa, soaps sometimes offer a fragrance experience greater than wearing a perfume. The creaminess of Diptyque’s L’Ombre dans L’eau would accompany today’s Rose de Mai very well, given the rose/blackcurrant spine they share.

LifelyupURself, I enjoyed getting lost in thought at the Fort Ancient website. How fleeting are our lives, even our generations. It is all so fantastical to consider the variety of ways our kind have moved through time.

The quarry truck dumped my project in the driveway about 20 minutes ago. Mocha, you're right, I was thinking Marni until I saw today's sync. I may transition to Marni later.

(((Hugs))) to those who are ready to ask for them and (((more))) to those who aren't ready to say why they need them. We all have our sorrows, pains, and regrets. Mike, you've weathered your divorce bravely. You deserve so much love. For now, I won't start mommaquarry.com, but will just note the sites I do maintain: Quarryschool.com, Homemade Wilderness channel, Homemade Wilderness blog.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Is it strange I find your ambition to become the ghost of Quarry House entirely admirable?
    There's a settler's cemetery where we used to ride our bikes as kids. I always remember the advice from one weathered tombstone:
    Think, dear friend, as you walk by,
    As you are now, so once was I,
    As I am now, so you must be,
    Prepare for death and follow me.

If any of us BNers becomes a ghost, the “hauntees” will know us by our perfumes, no?

[Teardrop, thanks, I plan to remain corporeal for a long time.]
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Institution

My synching started yesterday, really: a hidden treasure -- though for hotter weather -- I wore is Di Palomo Orange Blossom with Olive and Honey, what a departure from the traditional interpretations of soapy crisp flowers, it is mellow and juicy, seems lacking the base and somehow lasts all day long with just enough fruitiness and tang.

Today I will wear Guerlain Tonka Imperiale, for the all time record cold temps here (was 25F earlier).

I clicked on the link for Fort Ancient, OH, and now I think I have something to anticipate for the golden days of September.

Tabac Rouge by Phaedon
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage

Leather by Franck Boclet

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Good morning everyone Today is the first day out of three days off for me The day will probably be spent on trying to find something to wear for tomorrow .( the National day ) I don't have a traditional costume to wear, so we'll see. For the synch today I'm in Moksha. I really enjoy this comforting scent. I tend to forget to wear it, though. I think it's probably due to the small bottle and the fact it's an oil. Big hugs and comforting thoughts to those who need it
    Currently wearing: Prada Candy by Prada

Inees, they celebrate Syttende Mai in our Seattle neighborhood, because historically it had been settled by Scandinavian fisherfolk (and apparently the Norwegians were the only nationality that are still organized enough to have a festival).

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    Inees, they celebrate Syttende Mai in our Seattle neighborhood, because historically it had been settled by Scandinavian fisherfolk (and apparently the Norwegians were the only nationality that are still organized enough to have a festival).
    I assume there will be a parade with kids then Enjoy non the less
    Currently wearing: Prada Candy by Prada

Yep, the parade reroutes all the traffic down my street since the next street over is the parade. We will have to find somewhere else to park our cars.

Today I am scent twins with cello and also syncing, with a few sprays from my neglected-at-least-a-year bottle of Passage d'Enfer.

Basenotes Plus

Good afternoon all !.

Mrs Q, your creative talents know no bounds - keep the camera to hand for a step by step progress report.

Jujy, a completely wild guess regarding the identity your feathered visitor (probably wrong, but the pics are still a treat).

sfmedusa, great customer service . I'll check their website as my Fragonard virginity is still intact.

Forgot to synch . Montale Sandflowers.

Cello, you smell wonderful . Your L'Artisan has been on my purchase list since I sampled it a few months back. Olivia Giacobetti's creations rarely disappoint and Passage d'Enfer was no exception. Full bottle soon !.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 16th May 2014 at 02:56 PM.

Good morning!

Crazy-hectic day yesterday at work - new processes this week have been very difficult to deal with. I am wiped out. I didn't even get to check SOTD yesterday, but just read the thread and wow, those effigy mounds are fascinating. Quarry, I love your idea for the swallow mound. That sounds like a daunting task but how amazing, unique, and meaningful. I can't wait to hear more about it.

(((Evangeline))) I know it must have been hard to say goodbyes yesterday.

easyfish and pomander, y'all smell great (as always)!

In Chanel No.5 EDT.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller
    Currently wearing: Iris Prima by Penhaligon's

I am in sync today with Magie Noire - much loved, rarely worn. Years ago I was in the dressing room at a Zen spa and overheard a woman say that Magie Noire was the ultimate brunette scent. I identified with that and wore it as my signature scent for quite a while. That was back when I only owned two or three scents at a time. Imagine!

Blog Entries

Lanvin- Arpége
    Vintage extrait
    Leathery floral; curvaceous!
    Mother's 'Night Out' scent.
    Nostalgic, fur coats and pearls.
    Currently wearing: Azurée by Estée Lauder

I seem to have been craving the aldehydes and citrus of late. I can't seem to get enough of...........wait for it..........Chanel No 5 EdP Twinning with ErinK!!

I have a small vintage (50's) Parfum as well, but the top notes are way off and it takes a good 30 minutes to warm up to something resembling No 5 so I haven't been getting into it terribly much. I ought to put it into a sprayer and just use it up as I don't believe it'll be getting better.

I've been MIA around here as I'm trying to NOT be inspired to future purchases at the moment, but I do miss all of you and our happy perfume convos.

By the way, if any of you are prayers, the sweet SA at The Perfume Shoppe in Scottsdale has been diagnosed with Stage 3 Ovarian cancer. It's pretty bad and the prognosis isn't good. I know she'd appreciate your prayers.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Hi, everyone -- life, work, busy, busy, blah, blah, blah I'm bummed I missed this week, though.

First off, big hugs for those whom life has been giving choppy seas, whether in the form of struggling family members, sleepless nights, floods, busted A/Cs, sickness, job frustration, overwork, or the surprising manifestations of tenacious former relationships. I sympathize with all, empathize with many, offer humble thanks for your willingness to share, and reserve special hugs and understanding for those feeling but not always sharing. You are an amazing bunch.

Second, there's a great article reposted by Time online about how to increase happiness. (I will at some point figure out how to post things here, but believe me when I say this article is well with seeking out and reading -- it will resonate with several of you, I promise.). And how a few simple changes can make all the difference: stopping to smell the roses and slowing down to savor the the little pleasurable moments in life. It's all stuff we've heard before, even rising (descending?) to easily-dismissable cliche. But just because the knowledge has been around for a long time doesn't mean it's wrong -- and it seems to be supported by some recent studies. Two of the most important parts: stop multitasking (focus on what you're doing as you're doing it -- be mindful and fully present) and slow down to take notice of even just two beautiful things a day in life. Even in the midst of a busy week, this has helped me enormously. I'm convinced it's always what pulls me to yoga.

Quarry, I love that you're making an effigy mound. It's perfect. And having yourself tuckpointed among your beloved rock is so profoundly apt, it brought tears to my eyes.

Now, on a lighter note, did someone mention spicy, syrupy woods, highly indolic florals, and poopy floral dry-downs? Why, yes, I believe I'll take all three, thank you Uncle Serge is certainly not for everyone, but his fragrances suit me to a "T". There are only a few I don't like at all (I'm looking at you, Serge Noire and El Attarine) and a few I've yet to try (La Myrrhe, Miel du Bois, Douce Amere, Bas de Soie), but I generally adore them. I continue to struggle mightily with Guerlain and Chanel -- I don't know if I'll ever turn a corner with them or not. I came around to loving iris. I will never like oud. I don't do bitter, period -- in food, drink, or fragrance, and while I like indoles as much as the next girl (assuming the next girl isn't kalli ), I detest bitter, stinky oud. Now I don't have to worry about Amouage!

I chose my fragrance before I caught up on this week's posts, and I love what a perfect choice it's ended up being -- kind of my own synch for the week's discussion of Serge and a particular poopy floral -- the divine Sarrasins.

Happy Friday, all. May each of you find something beautiful to savor today.
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 16th May 2014 at 04:26 PM.