Code of Conduct

Default Nasomatto Duro = Carner Barcelona Cuirs + Montale Aoud Musk?

So hear me out; i know you cant replicate any one fragrance exactly by combining two others, so don't take my title literally. I love Carner Barcelona Cuirs. There is a certain note i get from it, that i also get from Foris by Les Liquides Imaginaires, and occasionally pick up in other scents, but cant figure out what it is. I think its what they refer to as the balsamic notes.

Moving right along: I like Duro and Pardon, but i dont wanna spend that much. (No issue spending $200 on Cuirs, but that's for a bottle over 3 times the size.) I love the slightly balsamic note i get from pardon, that i find to be much more pronounced in cuirs, and i love the heavy, animalic, smokey warm, spicy notes i get from Duro. So seeing as how i like elements of both Pardon and Duro, that seem to be shared in part by Cuirs, i am looking for something i can layer onto the Cuirs when i'm in the mood for a heavier warmer, richer fragrance. And it seems like Montales Aoud Musk fits the bill.

All three are woody, warm spicy, and leather. The balsamic from the cuirs gives me that note i love, and ideally, the musky notes from the aoud musk would punch up the Cuirs, and give it a little more of that Duro vibe. Does anyone have any other suggestion as to a fragrance with smokey animalic notes, that would combine well with cuirs, to achieve the effect i'm describing? (I'm going to Min ny after work today to get a sample of Aoud musk and see how it wears on my skin, so if you have a suggestion for something they stock that'd be great.) (I figure i could spray A*men over cuirs to get the pardon vibe.)

"Main Accords" from Fragrantica

Cuirs:
    Woody
    Balsamic
    Oud
    Leather
    Warm Spicy

Duro:
    Woody
    Warm Spicy
    Leather
    Animalic
    Smokey

Pardon:
    Warm Spicy
    Sweet
    Balsamic
    Cacao
    Oud
    Woody

Aoud Musk:
    Woody
    Aoud
    Musky
    Warm Spicy
    Amber
    Leather

Default Re: Nasomatto Duro = Carner Barcelona Cuirs + Montale Aoud Musk?

I can tell you that Aoud Musk smells nearly identical to Duro. The Montale wins overall by having more depth and being thicker which I prefer.

I think maybe you're picking up oud in them?

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I can tell you that Aoud Musk smells nearly identical to Duro. The Montale wins overall by having more depth and being thicker which I prefer.

I think maybe you're picking up oud in them?

Its not the oud; that note i'm pretty familiar with. I have smelled it clean, dirty, and everywhere in between. Osswalds Ny even had a jar of the straight extract they let me smell. (But they weren't able to help me pinpoint the scent i'm trying to explain.)

The scent that i perceive when i smell Carner Barcelona Cuirs reminds me of the way vinegar can make your mouth pucker up, but in a pleasant, olfactory way. (That's why i drew the balsamic conclusion. Although after reading about balsams, i see they are plant resins.) Typically that physical reaction is associated with sour, acidic tastes. Its like a "piercing" note, but in a pleasant way. If you look at Pardon on Fragrantica, they list balsamic as being one of the accords, but none of the individual notes : [Top notes are magnolia and flowers; middle notes are dark chocolate, tonka bean and cinnamon; base notes are agarwood (oud) and sandalwood.] seem to account for it.

Accidentally posted twice, and cant seem to figure out how to delete it, so i'm changing it to this.
    Last edited by notwerby; 16th May 2014 at 06:21 PM.

They don't give out the ingredients for any of the nasomatto perfumes, so don't put too much stock in what's listed on fragrantica.

Personally don't see Montale Aoud Musk as close to Duro as has been noted by my colleague above, but do agree with him that it's better.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Personally don't see Montale Aoud Musk as close to Duro as has been noted by my colleague above, but do agree with him that it's better.
    I didn't think it was that similar either; but i was thinking that wearing it with the Carner Cuirs would give me the best of both. Just not sure if its got enough of the pungent smoke / animalic thing going on.

I have both FB's of Aoud Musk and Duro, and do not find them nearly identical as posted previously. The Aoud Musk is stronger and last longer......but they are in no way the same.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I find them quite similar but there are differences.