Code of Conduct

Default I would NEVER wear Sweet Pea from Bath & Body Works! But seriously…

But I would wear something that smells the same, if it weren’t in a pink bottle, and if it had a different name. But seriously, I DO wear Sweet Pea lotion (yes, the pink bottle), and it is awesome. (I have the older one, not sure about any formulation or not.) There is something in there that really appeals to me. I have mentioned MARKETING before, and I want to, again. You probably think, as a lot of people do, that Sweet Pea is a too-sugary sweet candy frag for teeny-bopper girls. Well, HUMOR ME, and try to imagine Sweet Pea with a different name: something more vegetal. And try to imagine it *without* that pink label and bottle, like a celery or olive green color. And the label doesn’t have the word “sweet” anywhere on it. Now remove the cap, and breathe. What do you smell, except sugar, of course, and something vegetable-ish, probably the peas and rhubarb together? This is the Sweet Pea I know: a nice, vegetal fragrance that is surprisingly comforting. Which brings me back to marketing. If Sweet Pea had been marketed differently, instead of toward women and teeny-bopper girls, it would be bottle-worthy, in my opinion. If it were up to ME, I would have turned up the vegetable notes, and turned DOWN the sugar-sweet notes. But maybe there is something else out there that smells like what I describe? More vegetal, less sweet? Yes, maybe something else out there smells like peas and rhubarb. (I have YET to smell fresh rhubarb by itself, it isn’t in season right now.) Does anybody else appreciate Sweet Pea lotion, or even wear the EDT?
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

Default Re: I would NEVER wear Sweet Pea from Bath & Body Works! But seriously…

I don't care about the name, I don't care about the bottle, I don't care about the colour, I don't care about the advertising, I don't care about the marketing; all I care about is the smell. Why beat yourself up over something so trivial?
    Last edited by David Ruskin; 17th May 2014 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    I don't care about the name, I don't care about the bottle, I don't care about the colour, I don't care about the advertising, I don't care about the marketing; all I care about is the smell. Why bat yourself up over something so trivial?
    Because, I guarantee you, most Basenoters won’t even bother sampling Sweet Pea BECAUSE of what you call “trivial”: the name, color, etc. (and I don’t really blame them), and most MALE Basenoters would never sample it because of its feminine marketing. The bottom line is this: Sweet Pea, although enormously popular among the general public, is under-rated by fragrance aficionados.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

Most of the Sweet Pea growers over here are men

Actually, I'm not bothered by the name / packaging / gender demarcation whatsoever, but it's the Bath & Body Works part that scares me. The few times I've been into their stores, I've left feeling physically ill, and the fragrances that I have smelled have been nothing short of horrifying chemical disasters. Next time I walk by the store, I'll be sure to check this one out, but it's the store—not the packaging—that scares me the most!

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    most of the sweet pea growers over here are men
    lol!!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

It's true

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Actually, I'm not bothered by the name / packaging / gender demarcation whatsoever, but it's the Bath & Body Works part that scares me. The few times I've been into their stores, I've left feeling physically ill, and the fragrances that I have smelled have been nothing short of horrifying chemical disasters. Next time I walk by the store, I'll be sure to check this one out, but it's the store—not the packaging—that scares me the most!
    LOL. I am the FIRST to admit most of Bath and Body Works stuff is crap, but there are a few gems. Namely: Midnight Pomegranate, Dark Kiss, Black Amethyst, and even Rio Rumberry, which is no longer available.

What if you layered it with something else? Acqua Colonia Rhubarb & Clary Sage by 4711 might do the trick

acqua-colonia-rhababer-salbei.jpg
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Fragonard do a sweet pea fragrance which is rather nice, but again the packaging is rather feminine.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Quote Originally Posted by Allen-at-home View Post
    Because, I guarantee you, most Basenoters won’t even bother sampling Sweet Pea BECAUSE of what you call “trivial”: the name, color, etc. (and I don’t really blame them), and most MALE Basenoters would never sample it because of its feminine marketing. The bottom line is this: Sweet Pea, although enormously popular among the general public, is under-rated by fragrance aficionados.
    There have been several long, drawn out, ultimately, tedious threads which involved men saying that they would never wear anything remotely "feminine', whilst others (and I am one) saying that they didn't care about the marketing, and only cared about the smell. I do hope this isn't going to turn into another of those threads.

To repeat myself, I only care about the smell, I will try and smell as many fragrances as I can (whilst dodging the over zealous Sales Assistants ) and will wear whatever I enjoy. I will not let the name, the bottle, or the colour influence my decision. And if ayone asks me what it is I am wearing, I will tell them. Today, I shall be wearing Bal a Versailles; because I love it. If you wish to laugh at me, go right ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    What if you layered it with something else? Acqua Colonia Rhubarb & Clary Sage by 4711 might do the trick
    Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't realize 4711 had a rhubarb frag (I haven't been able to find the 4711 Pink Pepper frag yet). Actually, whenever I "risk" wearing Sweet Pea to my office job, I have layered it with a heavy patchouli fragrance oil so it isn't obvious to others what I am wearing.

Aah -- so furrypine's suggestion might enable it to be worn more happily

Instead of the feminine, pink bottle and label that is currently familiar, this is how Sweet Pea smells to me: http://images.bloomingdales.com/is/i...0.5,0&fmt=jpeg a greenish, more unisex bottle to represent the vegetale fragrance inside.

I don't own any of their fragrances, but I use their lotions sometimes, and they are typically strong enough to project quite a bit for a few hours. And indeed, Sweet Pea is one of their scents I usually buy when stocking up. I think it's quite pleasant, and I don't have any issue buying and wearing what some may consider feminine body products. Frankly, most of my body products (eye cream, soap, lotions) tend to come from the women's section in stores, since they are typically of better quality than the men's offerings.

Next time I walk by the store, I'll be sure to check this one out, but it's the store—not the packaging—that scares me the most!
    Honestly, I don’t know if the new formulation smells the same as the OLDER one that I currently have and use. I specifically remember the Bath & Body Works website notes for Sweet Pea included “rhubarb”, but NOW I don’t see the word rhubarb in the description. So even if you tried it out, buying directly from their website, probably isn’t the same “vegetal” scent that I know and love. It appears my next quest is obvious: I want to find a vegetal fragrance, similar to my old formulation of Sweet Pea, for when my lotion runs out. Any suggestions? What else smells like Sweet Pea’s older formulation, but maybe a tad less sweet?

UPDATE: Got my newer Sweet Pea lotion today, and comparing it to my older one, so far, smells the same. I have actually contacted Bath & Body Works to ask if the newer one still has rhubarb in it, as the older one had a rhubarb note listed, and the newer one doesn't. I expect to hear by early next week.
    Last edited by Allen-on-Holiday; 23rd May 2014 at 01:11 AM.

I tried it

I tried it
    And I can see that you LOVED it, ha. Obviously that angry face means you are angry you didn't try it sooner.

Honestly, I don’t know if the new formulation smells the same as the OLDER one that I currently have and use. I specifically remember the Bath & Body Works website notes for Sweet Pea included “rhubarb”, but NOW I don’t see the word rhubarb in the description. So even if you tried it out, buying directly from their website, probably isn’t the same “vegetal” scent that I know and love. It appears my next quest is obvious: I want to find a vegetal fragrance, similar to my old formulation of Sweet Pea, for when my lotion runs out. Any suggestions? What else smells like Sweet Pea’s older formulation, but maybe a tad less sweet?

UPDATE: Got my newer Sweet Pea lotion today, and comparing it to my older one, so far, smells the same. I have actually contacted Bath & Body Works to ask if the newer one still has rhubarb in it, as the older one had a rhubarb note listed, and the newer one doesn't. I expect to hear by early next week.
    You do realise that "Rhubarb" is a made up descriptor. There is no Rhubarb extract used in Perfumery.

And I can see that you LOVED it, ha. Obviously that angry face means you are angry you didn't try it sooner.
    I held my breath and ran into the store, ninja style. Found the bottle, doused my arm, and then legged it out of there before the headache kicked in. This stuff's made from a kind of chemical known as damascones and it's the same thing that you find in celebrity / teen type stuff like Britney Spears Final Fantasy (or whatever it's called). It's a brutally sweet, plasticy, screeching fruit and floral thing, and yes, it turned my stomach almost instantly. If you're seriously looking for more stuff like this, celebrity flankers are loaded with it: Britney Spears, Taylor Swift, One Direction, Nicky Minaj etc. Also, to my horror, it was later pointed out to me that I was covered in glitter. It turns out that the particular bottle I sampled from also came with this "added bonus." There's no rhubarb note in this—it's just hyper-sweet sugary "berry" chemicals.

If this is a genre you're interested in but are perhaps thinking about where you might turn for some slightly ramped up quality stuff, or maybe stuff that's targeted at a slightly older demographic, you might look at some of Serge Lutens' sweeter, syrupy things.
    Last edited by deadidol; 23rd May 2014 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    You do realise that "Rhubarb" is a made up descriptor. There is no Rhubarb extract used in Perfumery.
    No, I had no idea.

No, I had no idea.
    There are some chemicals that smell like rhubarb when put together, but I really didn't get any here. One of the Aedes scents by L'Artsan has very prominent rhubarb accord if you're after one. Also, Paul Kiler's (a basenoter) Red Leather has a very sharp bitter opening that gets that effect.

I held my breath and ran into the store, ninja style. Found the bottle, doused my arm, and then legged it out of there before the headache kicked in. This stuff's made from a kind of chemical known as damascones and it's the same thing that you find in celebrity / teen type stuff like Britney Spears Final Fantasy (or whatever it's called). It's a brutally sweet, plasticy, screeching fruit and floral thing, and yes, it turned my stomach almost instantly. If you're seriously looking for more stuff like this, celebrity flankers are loaded with it: Britney Spears, Taylor Swift, One Direction, Nicky Minaj etc. Also, to my horror, it was later pointed out to me that I was covered in glitter. It turns out that the particular bottle I sampled from also came with this "added bonus." There's no rhubarb note in this—it's just hyper-sweet sugary "berry" chemicals.

If this is a genre you're interested in but are perhaps thinking about where you might turn for some slightly ramped up quality stuff, or maybe stuff that's targeted at a slightly older demographic, you might look at some of Serge Lutens' sweeter, syrupy things.
    Uhhhhhh, no, I'm not necessarily searching for more frags like Sweet Pea, which you have described very liberally as, basically, crap. I'm not sure you understood what I have been saying. I'm NOT saying I like everything about it (it is certainly too sweet), I have said there is SOMETHING in there, something buried among the "brutally sweet, plasticy, screeching fruit and floral thing" is something vegetal, and that vegetal something appeals to me very much. But thanks for the suggestion, it was actually quite helpful.

There are some chemicals that smell like rhubarb when put together, but I really didn't get any here. One of the Aedes scents by L'Artsan has very prominent rhubarb accord if you're after one. Also, Paul Kiler's (a basenoter) Red Leather has a very sharp bitter opening that gets that effect.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I finally got ahold of some rhubarb (from the grocery store), and I seriously can't smell anything. So I still don't know exactly what rhubarb smells like. No, I don't recall ever eating rhubarb pie, either.

Aw man, I'm sorry -- I did misread your original statement. What's behind the sweetness here is the damascone accord, which is what you'll find in tons of stuff similar to this. Although I couldn't pull a vegetal note from memory, the floral smelled to me like some jasmine chems with maybe a touch of berry leaf. That might produce a slightly bitter, stem-like effect that could be read as vegetal. Have tried Enchanted Forest? It's a Duchaufour scent for Vagabond Prince. That ramps up the vegetal, almost green side of berries and whatnot.

Thanks for the suggestion. I finally got ahold of some rhubarb (from the grocery store), and I seriously can't smell anything. So I still don't know exactly what rhubarb smells like. No, I don't recall ever eating rhubarb pie, either.
    Some "fantasy" notes create the illusion of scents by exploiting taste. While rhubarb has no scent, it's a bitter, tart kind of a taste that can be simulated in scents through a series of tricks.

Basenotes Plus

My first gf wore it. I'd love to sniff it agin for nostalgic purposes, but I wouldn't wear it?
    Current rotation:

Ciel Man
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    L'Homme
    Scandal Pour Homme

Have tried Enchanted Forest? It's a Duchaufour scent for Vagabond Prince. That ramps up the vegetal, almost green side of berries and whatnot.
    Just ordered a sample! Can't wait.

As a guy i haven't tried much from there. Don't even know what they have. But for a girl forever red is fantastic I think.

Have tried Enchanted Forest? It's a Duchaufour scent for Vagabond Prince. That ramps up the vegetal, almost green side of berries and whatnot.
    Yes, got my sample today. Enchanted Forest is very nice, I like it. But I don't think it is as vegetal as Sweet Pea, reminded me of bushes, the smell of bushes. My very FIRST impression was, "This reminds me of Spark, by Liz Claiborne. Only better quality".

Lightbulb Re: I would NEVER wear Sweet Pea from Bath & Body Works! But seriously…

Aw man, I'm sorry -- I did misread your original statement. What's behind the sweetness here is the damascone accord, which is what you'll find in tons of stuff similar to this. Although I couldn't pull a vegetal note from memory, the floral smelled to me like some jasmine chems with maybe a touch of berry leaf. That might produce a slightly bitter, stem-like effect that could be read as vegetal. Have tried Enchanted Forest? It's a Duchaufour scent for Vagabond Prince. That ramps up the vegetal, almost green side of berries and whatnot.
    Like they say, Never overlook the obvious... Evidently, I have overlooked the obvious. That mysterious *vegetal* smell in Sweet Pea that fascinates me so much probably isn't rhubarb, or cyclamen, or damascone. That vegetal smell in Sweet Pea is the smell of, wait for it, PEAS. HA. I NEVER eat peas, so it wasn't obvious to me (that smell), but now that I am remembering, it smells like the peas my mom used to make in the kitchen. So NOW I want to find other pea-scented frags, something less sickening-sugar-sweet, and more masculine. At lease NOW I know what I am looking for.

I know a few frags with the pea note you're looking for, maybe check them out to see whether that's the note you liked, to me tough, pea smells rather floral-sweet more than vegetal but then again my nose is not a big expert
    Issey Miyake Pleats Please
    Love Chloe eau florale
    MFK 754
    Don't know if this will be of any help but maybe worth trying!
    And I wouldn't worry that some of these frags are classified as female, it really doesn't matter, does it, we buy them for the smell not for the gender distribution!

Quote Originally Posted by Vernona View Post
    I know a few frags with the pea note you're looking for, maybe check them out to see whether that's the note you liked, to me tough, pea smells rather floral-sweet more than vegetal but then again my nose is not a big expert
    Issey Miyake Pleats Please
    Love Chloe eau florale
    MFK 754
    Don't know if this will be of any help but maybe worth trying!
    And I wouldn't worry that some of these frags are classified as female, it really doesn't matter, does it, we buy them for the smell not for the gender distribution!
    Thank you! I will certainly check these out.