Code of Conduct
o

Default Update on frustrating Ebay policy

Just wanted to provide an update on ebay policy. I got a call from them telling me that a 5ml Puredistance M and an 8ml Jubilation were taken down because they violated ebay policy. I have about ten other similar listings they haven't taken down yet, which is odd. I'm perplexed why those ones got flagged. I have perfect feedback, they were listed as samples, and there were photos taken of the original bottle. Based on other recent threads I assumed this was now unenforced, so I thought I'd let you guys know.
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Default Re: Update on frustrating Ebay policy

You can't sell decants on EBay. What you'll find even more unsettling is that EBay lets some sellers get away with it.

Sent from Richard's Ipad
    Some day's you're the statue and some days you're the pigeon.

Fragrance decants are being frowned upon by eBay, from what I've been told by a number of people.. Their claim is that it is not a sealed product and can be easily tampered with. Of course, any splash bottle can be tampered with as well, so this seems to be overlooked. Also.. enforcement is rather haphazard. I've seen other people complain that they've gotten completely shut down while others haven't been touched at all... freely selling decants without any problems.
    Currently wearing: Gomma by Etro

I thought that if they were listed as samples, it's OK. It is rather frustrating because there are a few other "M" and Jubilation "samples" on there now and I have a bunch of other decants I'm not sure I can sell. Oh well, if this is my biggest problem in life, things are good.

I think this policy is silly & no one's business. Once a bottle is purchased, the companies should have no rights as to what you choose to do with it. (In that same vein, I also think the price/size rules on splits are also silly). It's not like these companies aren't making a huge profit on fragrances that basically are just "smelly alcohol" & cost pennies to produce usually. Anyway, just my gripe. Wish someone would have the guts to stand up and fight these companies & these policies in court.

I love ebay for buying decants. I hope they don't choose to crack down tighter in the future.
    Current favorites____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Bois d'Argent____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Millesime Imperial_____Edition Blanche_____Pineapple Vintage Intense____Nasomatto Pardon____Herod____Dior Homme/Intense/Parfum/Cologne_____Oud Wood_____GIT
    Currently wearing: Santal 33 by Le Labo

Basenotes Plus

It may be that Ebay removes listings following complaints?
    Hence a lot will not be removed.

I have been told that unless the sample is made by the manufacturer, decants and samples are not allowed to be sold on Ebay. They claim to be working through the sellers, but this is based on chance and whether a word in the title or item specifics flags the decant to their team. Ebay say that if a seller is found to flaunt the rules repeatedly then the seller can have their account restricted or closed. It is unfair, because as stated before, the companies have already made their money and there are many good sellers with excellent feedback who have had their listings removed. Also not everyone wishes to purchase 50 or 100 mls of a fragrance with an exhorbitant price tag
    Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart; but the heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as a fragrant forest.
    Currently wearing: Rush by Gucci

Basenotes Plus

It seems restrictive to me - changed your password yet?
    http://www2.ebay.com/aw/uk/201405.sh...84.m2301.l3955

Can I ask everyone's advice? If you were me, would you keep the rest of your listings up? They didn't mention anything about my other listings or suspending my account but I've heard of that being done before. Thanks

You could be the victim of random policing. Some retailer that sells the product knows they eBay can shut down an auction if it is a decant, they comb through eBay and find your auction and then report it. eBay asks you to take it down. So it ends up singled out, whereas your other auctions are fine. eBay seems to be mindless with their complaints. People can complain about anything and then eBay doesn't have the time to discern the validity--just asks for it to be shut down.

Btw, thanks for that note about the passwords, lpp. I changed my password last month because someone momentarily "stole" my account. My password no longer worked, so I triggered the reset and got it corrected. Now I've got to do it again?

Lastly... one important word of advice: NEVER make your PayPal and eBay passwords the same!!
    Currently wearing: Gomma by Etro

Quote Originally Posted by bc78 View Post
    Can I ask everyone's advice? If you were me, would you keep the rest of your listings up? They didn't mention anything about my other listings or suspending my account but I've heard of that being done before. Thanks
    I wouldn't worry about it. Another seller that sell decants probably reported it to EBay. The decant business on EBay is filled with a bunch of jerks. I've been told by an ex EBay decanter that in order to sell decants consistently you need a lawyer on retainer.

Sent from Richard's Ipad
    Some day's you're the statue and some days you're the pigeon.

I wonder if the houses themselves have anything to do with it?
    I remember when lily direct was selling Amouage for crazy cheap he got in some trouble from either Amouage or the wholesaler he buys from. They said the prices were too low.

So maybe some of them keep a close eye on these type of things.

If it is another decant seller that reported it, that's some really lowlife activity.
    "I am more afraid of an army of 100 Sheep led by a Lion than an army of 100 Lions led by a Sheep."
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by bc78 View Post
    Considering they've now documented that you are aware of what the policy is about decant sales, I would remove the other listings unless it's a relatively new account with little feedback built up. It would be a shame for them to remove an account with hundreds of positive feedbacks and it isn't likely you'll get any further warning.
    Currently wearing: The Wendol by Blackbird

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Considering they've now documented that you are aware of what the policy is about decant sales, I would remove the other listings unless it's a relatively new account with little feedback built up. It would be a shame for them to remove an account with hundreds of positive feedbacks and it isn't likely you'll get any further warning.
    Sound advice IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Agreed, that does make sense, so I took down my listings. It's a shame because I just started this recently to recoup some money on fragrances I never would use a full bottle of, and, of course buy some more bottles, not make a profit or anything. Now it looks like I wasted $150 on decanting supplies and have a huge amount of travel sprays. Ugh. Anyway, thanks for everyone's help.

Just list your decants on the Crystal Flacon site !

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Just list your decants on the Crystal Flacon site !
    Just did, thank you!
    My favorites in no particular order:

Vintage Antaeus, Vintage Bel Ami, Puredistance M, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain, MDCI Invasion Barbare, Morabito Or Black, Geranium Pour Monsieur, Avignon