Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Les Eaux

Hello friends. I'd love to get your input on this lineup. I don't know for sure whether I'm naming it correctly, but I'm referring to the following

Du Coq
    Imperiale
    Eau de Guerlain
    Fleurs de Cedrat
    Cologne du Parfumeur

I feel like Chant D'Arome might belong here as well as perhaps Mouchoir de Monsieur (I stand corrected! )

Anyway, I've recently sniffed several, though now I'm not sure which as it was in a store and I didn't pay close enough attention.

I found at least one which really reminded me of Jicky, but had a woody quality to it. Trying to determine which that was.

What has been your experience of this lineup?
    Last edited by danieq; 23rd May 2014 at 10:35 PM.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Default Re: Guerlain Les Eaux

Du Coq
    Imperiale
    Fleurs de Cedrat

the original Eaux range are all cologne.

Imperiale (not sure if they have reformulated???), but it was gone in a minute. The body lotion latest longer on the skin.

Eau de Guerlain is one of my favourites, I love the spicy vibe and it does last on the skin. It was always a edt.

I own the earlier version of Mouchoir de Monsieur (it is edt), is fabulous and yes that is the one classed as Jicky's brother.
    Last edited by donna255; 23rd May 2014 at 07:59 AM.
    DONNA

Eau de Cologne du Coq and Eau de Guerlain are summer staples for me - the latter contains a good dose of orris absolute and feels the more substantial.
    That said, they are traditional Eaux de Cologne, and are designed to be worn with abandon and re-applied as necessary.
    Given the amounts I get through each summer, I think I would have a hard time paying full-retail.
    I picked up some litres of each a couple of years back as testers. I think I paid £20 per bottle and my stash is still pretty healthy.
    So, absolutely worthy of testing and if you can find testers for a good price, so much the better.

I concur with what said by other posters. They are wonderful traditional eau de cologne (in the sense of recipe, not concentration), that is, they give 5 minutes of freshness and happiness, then they go away. As they should - when an eau de cologne tries to linger for hours, it's like a guest that overstays his welcome. They are intended as refresheners to be applied with abandon whenever necessary.

Chant d'aromes and MdM are proper perfumes, with persistence and a drydown.

They are all based on the basic neroli-citrus structure. I think the one with touches of Jicky is the De coq. The imperiale is more classic. the De cedrat is as per name. Eau de guerlain has verbena and some spices, and as said, this makes it a little more persistent than the others (though not as persistent as regular perfumes). But according to Luca Turin it has been reformulated and it is not as good as it was. I have not smelled the recent version.

cacio

I genuinely love this lineup, so far only had positive experiences with it.

The Impériale truly is vanishing, though lovely for a few minutes or so. The du Coq has a more herbal edge and wins out in the longevity stakes. But whichever one goes with, generous reapplication is an unavoidable requirement.

Chant d'Arômes and Mouchoir are standalone fragrances and have nothing in common with the Eaux.

My bet is that Eau de Guerlain with it's Orris is the one I'm thinking of. I need a second sniff!
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Danieq, if you like these Guerlains, you simply must try Apres L'Ondee!

This is a classic from 1906, if I recall.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

danieq - please try the Eau de Guerlain. IMO it's a classic.

I am thinking of buying a bottle of Eau de Coq soon. I need a summer eaux cologne.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Oh yes Primrose, already own that beauty, in fact, I wore it yesterday and I do indeed love it!

Thanks Mike, I believe you are pushing me right over the edge! I am pretty sure it's going to be purchased in the very near future! Thanks for the vote!

My favorite has always been Eau de Guerlain, which has always been in eau de toilette concentration, but really does belong with the others because of its feeling and the intention behind its formula. It can be used very freely although it is a bit stronger than the rest. I've always smelled a bit of marjoram and tarragon in EdG, very reminiscent of a hot summer day in a rambling garden.

I wore the Imperiale more than 20 years ago. The scent is the same but the concentration now is about a fifth of where it once was. The old formulation was light but now it is just a wisp, disappearing with the next breath.

Du Coq is the 'Jickyish' one - a touch of lavender with herbs.

I use EdC du Coq and Imperiale a lot, usually have one at the studio, and travel with Wasser's contribution to the line, Cologne du Parfumeur - it has a light musk base which is good if you're on the road, lasts the distance a bit better.

Eau de Guerlain is great - almost a chypre and occupying a similar space to Sous le Vent & Philtre d'Amour with the citric verbena hit - and, sadly, the only one left out of those three now.

If you find one you like grab a 500ml Bee and splash with abandon! These are meant to be used liberally - they are not as fleeting as some would have you believe. Obviously they're not full on EdT concentration but I see some of the '2 or 3 sprays max' crowd complainng about longevity with Eaux de Colognes in general and I really do wonder
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 4th June 2014 at 04:26 AM.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Obviously they're not full on EdT concentration but I see some of the '2 or 3 sprays max' crowd complainng about longevity with Eaux de Colognes in general and I really do wonder
    I can already attest to the truth of this. My Du Coq lasts for several hours.

Du Coq is my favorite: as the other posters noted, it has lavender and some herbal notes that help give it the edge. Cologne du Parfumeur has orange blossom and white musks, but it's significantly harder to find than the others.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I can already attest to the truth of this. My Du Coq lasts for several hours.
    Ah, so you finally bought it?

I will be buying mine I think before I take my July 4th long weekend trip to Central Florida. It seems like just the right choice.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I did Mike! I also just recently received the Eau de Guerlain. I actually think I prefer the Du Coq. The EdG has something medicinal (strikes me as lavender) which comes off rather strongly and which I wasn't expecting. I like it, but it's not what I thought it would be. Of course, making an analysis just from notes is always risky.

I'm sure you will enjoy the Du Coq, it is very fresh and light and perfect for Florida in the summertime!

This just popped up.

http://www.thenonblonde.com/2014/06/...l#.U6FMbDmUAug

Gaia talks about the lemon as driving it, which is true enough, but I have always felt the lemon verbena (as in Philtre d'Amour) is the key to this one, and JPG has used the more typical 'masculine' herbal facets to give the verbena some 'edginess' - my guess is that lavender, rosemary maybe even some nutmeg are all employed, altho nowhere near in the intensity of the male powerhouse stuff that was prevalent back then.

And the oak moss - I imagine the current formulation is probably more 'Pledge with an edge' than 'chyprish' but need to drop in and try it - I don't wear this one as often as the others and my 250ml bottle is a few years old - it feels way more like a 'composition' with its own development than a relatively simple Eau de Cologne.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    This just popped up.

http://www.thenonblonde.com/2014/06/...l#.U6FMbDmUAug

Gaia talks about the lemon as driving it, which is true enough, but I have always felt the lemon verbena (as in Philtre d'Amour) is the key to this one, and JPG has used the more typical 'masculine' herbal facets to give the verbena some 'edginess' - my guess is that lavender, rosemary maybe even some nutmeg are all employed, altho nowhere near in the intensity of the male powerhouse stuff that was prevalent back then.

And the oak moss - I imagine the current formulation is probably more 'Pledge with an edge' than 'chyprish' but need to drop in and try it - I don't wear this one as often as the others and my 250ml bottle is a few years old - it feels way more like a 'composition' with its own development than a relatively simple Eau de Cologne.
    I've never made the connection, but yes - you're spot on with the lemon verbena. As far as the composition is concerned, this one is often compared to an EdT, isn't it? JPG seems to have given in much more than you'd normally expect to find in a simple cologne. I'm afraid to say I've never got on with it.

Funny, I had worn this several times not smelling lemon at all, then I read this article and now it smells exactly of lemon. Go figure.