Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fragrances that got lot of love/attention in the past on Basenotes

hi, although i dont post that often here, since 2006 i come regularly to check the threads of the forum

Wanted to ask you guys for the fragrances that you notice that in the past got a lot of attention/love here on basenotes but that are not mentioned as much anymore...

Which ones do you remember?

Default Re: Fragrances that got lot of love/attention in the past on Basenotes

When I first got here, in 2010?, I'm pretty sure that Kouros was the bmoc.

Heritage

I remember the fuss that the following used to get:

Rose 31
    New Haarlem
    Musc Ravageur

M7, Chergui, GIT, Musc Ravageur were everybody's darling. Now it is Dior Homme Intense, LIDGE, etc.

The first few that come to mind:
    Body Kouros
    Tobacco Vanille
    Rive Gauche

Blog Entries

Wasn't around when GEIR by Geir Ness got a lot of hype. I've only read about it from other threads.

Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Fahrenheit
    Currently wearing: Le Vetiver Itasca by Lubin

Pure Malt even though people still post about it, back when it was just a limited edition the whole fragrance community was loving it.

A few years ago, these were hailed as masterpieces. Now, you don't hear nearly as much about them:

by Kilian Back to Black
    Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Current Spring Favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    5. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Haitian Vetiver
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2012
    8. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    9. Creed - Aventus
    10. Parfumerie Generale - Grand Siecle Intense 7.1

Heritage
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

When I joined Pure Malt had it's own thread just like Aventus does now. Chergui was highly praised on here. New Haarlem was THE niche gourmand. Musc Ravageur was believed to be sex bottled. Geir Ness was another one I remember as Del stated. M7 wasn't universally loved and wanted like it is now. Back then it was a polarizing fragrance that got a lot of flack for smelling like "cough syrup." I picked up a vintage bottle in the sales thread for $25 if that puts it in perspective. Tobacco Vanilla was the big up and coming gourmand that people were starting to go nuts about and put New Haarlem on the back burner.
    The house that still dominates with any release is Thierry Mugler as far as interest and hype. HUGE hype surrounding any release. Before Aventus GIT was discussed to death with people coming out of the wood work to offer their opinions. MI, SMW, and Himalaya were also discussed a lot.
    Last edited by silentrich; 23rd May 2014 at 11:55 PM.
    Currently wearing: Accord Oud by Byredo

I've been on Basenotes from the beginning (2000? 2001? can't remember) through the numerous forum revisions ( can't remember my original username either).

212 for Men - Carolina Herrera
    Michael for Men - Michael Kors

were two of the big conversation starters. Damn! Now I feel old!
    I smell marshmallows!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    When I first got here, in 2010?, I'm pretty sure that Kouros was the bmoc.
    Bowel movement of cologne?

Back on topic: Spicebomb and Bentley for Men Intense

Tobacco Vanille
    LIDGE
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Lorenzo Villoresi when I first came to Basenotes along with Santa Maria Novella...

I remember reading a lot of threads about A*Men

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    Lorenzo Villoresi when I first came to Basenotes along with Santa Maria Novella...
    Indeed... I remember when Piper Nigrum by Villoresi was a Basenotes' darling.
    Dzing! and Tea for two by L'Artisan were also getting plenty of attention.
    No.88 by Czech & Speake used to be quite sought after.

In general terms, it appears to me that houses such as MPG, L'Artisan, The Different Company, Villoresi & Santa Maria Novella have lost attention, while Amouage, Tom Ford, Xerjoff, Slumberhouse, By Kilian and others have grown in popularity on Basenotes.

Creed, Serge Lutens, Montale, CdG, Diptyque and Malle seem to have had steady popularity over the years.

Mugler Pure Coffee
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

There seems to be less discussion in general of older/classic frags than there used to be.
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    There seems to be less discussion in general of older/classic frags than there used to be.
    Definitely. 2005-2008 was Basenotes at its best. You see some outstanding posts (noggs, mr reasonable, cacio, Redneck Perfumisto, etc) but you rarely if ever see mind-blowing threads like that anymore.

Most of the gourmet food of the classics has been replaced by the "false deities of the niche pantheon", "...their well done menus in an upscale franchise restaurant chain". "Insubstantial variants in an age in which insubstantial variants are the norm and "instant classics."
    Last edited by pluran; 24th May 2014 at 10:48 AM.

Encre Noire, TF Black Orchid, Midnight in Paris got a decent amount of both exposure and liking here. While they still have their fan base, what struck me most is that the upsides and qualities of these fragrances were discovered and recognized here almost instantly after their release (a reason more to believe that if a good fragrance comes out, BN will sooner or later notice it).
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 24th May 2014 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Definitely. 2005-2008 was Basenotes at its best. You see some amazing posts (noggs, mr reasonable, cacio, Redneck Perfumisto, etc) but you rarely if ever see mind-blowing threads like that anymore.

Most of the gourmet food of the classics has been replaced by the "false deities of the niche pantheon", "...their well done menus in an upscale franchise restaurant chain". "Insubstantial variants in an age in which insubstantial variants are the norm and "instant classics."
    I'm going to lay some blame for that on reformations making it harder for those of us new to the game to get our noses on classic scents in their true form.
    Touched by his noodly appendage 😇

How in the world was the hype around the masterpiece Terre D' Hermes forgotten?
    My Colder Weather Lineup: Spice & Wood, Royal Mayfair, Duro, Roja Dove Enigma, Royal Oud, Jubilation XXV, CHAMBRE NOIRE, AVENTUS, GIT, Clive Christian C and X, Herod, L'instant Extreme, DHI, DH Parfum, Chergui, Man In Black, Tuscan Leather, Tobacco Vanille, Pure Malt/Havane

I'm pretty sure when I got here about 18-19 months ago, I was seeing TdH, DHI, LIDGE, and GIT mentioned more than I see them now. Discussion of Aventus (good frag in my opinion) is still pretty strong.
    ---------------------------------- United States Army airborne.... taking out bad guys since 1943 -----------------------------------------

First that came to my mind is Gucci Envy for Men
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Signature: Rochas Macassar (Nicolas Mamounas / Roger Pellegrino, 1980)

Current Top 7:

Armani Eau Pour Homme (vtg) (Roger Pellegrino, 1984)
    Monsieur de Givenchy (1959)
    Chanel Bleu de Chanel EDP (Jacques Polge, 2014)
    CK Eternity for men (vtg) (Carlos Benaim, 1990)
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme (Jacques Cavallier, 2003)
    Creed Green Irish Tweed (Probably Oliver Creed / Pierre Bourdon, 1985)

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaCloud View Post
    I've been on Basenotes from the beginning (2000? 2001? can't remember) through the numerous forum revisions ( can't remember my original username either).

212 for Men - Carolina Herrera
    Michael for Men - Michael Kors

were two of the big conversation starters. Damn! Now I feel old!
    Yep, that was 2001. There may have been a few niche stuff mentioned back then, perhaps a couple of L'Artisan, but it was skewed heavily toward designer.
    The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

In 2003 it was all M7 and Helmut Lang Cuiron, both of which came out about the same time. I think PaulG and myself were the biggest fans of Piper Nigrum early on, and of course Jeffrey P. was in Herrera Heaven with 212 back in 2001/2002 (and probably still is, wherever he may be...)
    The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Helmut Lang Cuiron was just great when I went after a new bottle in 2004 was already gone, what a shame!

The hype surrounding LIDGE has been unparalleled since. You couldn't find one bad comment about it and everybody from the vintage fanatics to the La Nuit de L'Homme crowd was seeking it out.

I used to buy them for $75, turn around the same day and sell them for $125. It was like minor hysteria. And I'd even say that its popularity was further reaching than Pure Malt's as it was sought after by even the most discerning of connoisseurs.

And then suddenly...POOF!

Nobody's talking about LIDGE any more than they are AdG.

And you'll hear plenty of less than enthusiastic comments about it now.
    My wardrobe is up to date as of 4/18/16.