Code of Conduct

Default Re: Amouage and Montale Shelf life

Hi guys, just had a quick question regarding my Amouage and Montale perfume 'sprays' collection. How long do they last for? I mean on the shelf before they turn bad cause I got a lot in my collection and I doubt I can use them up in the next 5 years ...

I know the attars shelf life is pretty much indefinite as they will not go bad but what about the sprays? Surely 5 years they will not go bad will they?

If stored in a cool dark place, most fragrances will not go bad for a very a long time.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Perfumes in alcohol actually last longer than attars, which are in a different medium. As Danieq was saying, as long as you keep them in the dark and in a relatively cool place, they'll last for decades.

cacio

I have had some of my 105 + Montales for well over 5 years and they are just as fine today as when I first bought them. They will last for a very very long time for sure so no need to worry.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Perfumes in alcohol actually last longer than attars, which are in a different medium. As Danieq was saying, as long as you keep them in the dark and in a relatively cool place, they'll last for decades.

cacio
    Attars will not last as long? Really? I would like to know the reasoning...I am not doubting you. I have never heard of this or thought about it.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

It may depend on the carrier used, amongst other things - I decided against sending someone a sample of a rose attar a while back as it had turned.
    It wasn't an Amouage one 'though.

This
    Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    If stored in a cool dark place, most fragrances will not go bad for a very a long time.

Most will keep well if stored properly but some oil carriers have a shorter shelf life than others so will turn faster.

Any further advice on the storage of Amouage Attars would be appreciated. Real life experiences would be awesome!
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Mine are mostly 'white box' versions, plus a few early 'red/brown'. They've been kept in their boxes in my wardrobe. The U.K. isn't often very warm but there's ac in there for very warm days. Some bottles are getting low and the only tip that may be useful is that the attar can start to dry up a bit when there's only a few ml left - so that's the time to use them up or share them fast!
    Or maybe decant into a sample vial.

Apart from that, they seem to keep perfectly well once opened as a few have been open since the white boxes were in production and are fine.

Lower quality attars may have issues depending on the carrier used and I have had some turn after a few years - not Montale as I have no experience with them.
    Last edited by lpp; 16th June 2014 at 08:13 AM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php