Code of Conduct

Default Please help me out ladies :)

Hi, I am looking for a fragrance for my girlfriend for her birthday.

She isn't really into fragrances, but she knows what kinds of notes she likes. She likes Bath and Body Works and she loves a lotion called Sandalwood Fig. It was discontinued, but she loves the smell so much she kept the bottle. It's definitely fruity, but it's also deep and rich.

She knows she likes amber, sandalwood, and musk.

I was hoping y'all could help me find a fragrance that has those elements and is also either fruity or flowery on top. The fragrance can't be overly complex (I'm not sure she would appreciate a super-complex fragrance) but should be feminine.

I searched through the forums and someone mentioned Jaipur Boucheron for women (which I found was discontinued). The reviews on fragrantica make it sound like what I am looking for, so I ordered a sample of the EdT to start with.

Things to think about:
    * Sandalwood (with or without amber and musk)
    * Feminine
    * Good longevity and moderate sillage (I don't think she would want something that fills the room)
    * Preferably not niche
    * Preferably available to sample at Sephora, Nordstroms, Neiman Marcus, Macy's, etc.

Thank you very much for reading!
    Last edited by smellyD; 27th May 2014 at 04:19 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Default Re: Please help me out ladies :)

First scents that comes to mind is Diptyque's Philosykos and L'artisan Premier figuier. For a non niche, beachy, ambery scent I would go for Bronze godess. It has coconut and no fig though.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 27th May 2014 at 04:36 PM.

Hmmm -- the parameters are tight

Maybe Samsara by Guerlain?

Seconding ineespenes and adding Bois des Îles which is sort of designer. Samsara which is centred around jasmine and sandalwood. For musk Narciso Rodriguez for Her EdP might also be worth checking out.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Bob Mackie EDP is a good 80s-style amber but doesn't clear the room the way Giorgio did. It's a pretty straightforward amber, though -- not too much else going on.

Mauboussin EDP is a deep, sweet fruit-forward amber with sandalwood, patchouli, and musk -- it reminds me a bit of Piguet Visa, which is also excellent.

You know, Angel might fit the bill, too, as long as she's OK with patchouli and chocolate. If not, then other fragrances in the Angel-influenced vein might be good, which is where Mauboussin and Visa land. There's also Calvin Klein Euphoria EDP (the original, not the flankers) and Bond No. 9 I Love New York for All. If you can get to a Nordstrom that carries the Tom Ford Private Blend collection, either Plum Japonais or Shanghai Lily might work (the plum is more fruity, the lily is more floral).

If you want to go for more straight woods/amber/vanilla, Dior Addict (again, the original, not the flankers) and Givenchy Organza Indecence are both excellent. Not much fruit or florals in those, though.

Good luck!

You might try:
    Prada Candy
    Estée Lauder Sensuous Nude
    Bulgari Omnia

And even though you said no niche, I have to recommend Calamity J by Juliette Has a Gun.

Good luck!

Blog Entries

Hermessence Santal Massoia.
    Tom Ford Santal Blush.

And +1 for Bronze Goddess.
    Last edited by teardrop; 28th May 2014 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Keep getting "Blush" & "Rouge" mixed up!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I'll second L'Artisan Premium Figueur, but suggest the intense version, which is a sweeter fig than the original, which feels dry to me.

The other one is Sonoma Scent Studio Fig Tree.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Basenotes Plus

Caligna by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Armani Prive Figuier Eden

The new Elizabeth and James Black is sandalwood/vanilla, and I quite liked it, and didn't find it overly invasive. It's at Sephora. So is the Tokyo Milk Dark line. I myself like Bulletproof, which is a kind of spicy black tea, but it's more of a unisex experience; the rest are more femme, and she might like Tainted Love.

Basenotes Member
    200 Roosevelt Place Palisades Park, NJ 07650

Gift her Angel Aqua Chic
    aqua chic.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Maybe Samsara by Guerlain?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Samsara which is centred around jasmine and sandalwood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Estée Lauder Sensuous Nude
    Those two would be really really good to start with. I would also say perhaps Bvlgari Pour Femme is another very good choice fitting the description.

How about Chanel Allure Sensuelle...but she would have to appreciate vanilla and some spices in her fragrance tough...but this one has a really nice sandalwood base and pretty good longevity! It's a good quality fragrance IMHO alltogether! Feminine and sexy also!

Bvlgari Jasmin Noir is also one to try out, his version L'essence also...

Ooh dang, some of y'all are very fancy

I wrote them down, looked them up, and took some notes. We will see!

What about best-bang-for-your-buck fragrances? A fragrance that is surprisingly good and won't cost more than $80?
    Using Tapatalk

Ok, then check Cacharel range, maybe noa noa, not exactly what you asked for, but several good fragrances and more affordable definitely...if she'd go with something entertaining floral/fruity then check out Escada fragrances if something would suit her, these are also on a more affordable side...You said she likes Bath and body works, maybe you could be more precise? Anything else except sandalwood fig? I very much enjoy their body creams, mostly fruity and summery and these go well with many Escada summer offerings...

You already got the suggestion of Diptyque Phylosikos, you should definitely try it out and an edt version should be below 80 $...at least in Europe...
    Last edited by Vernona; 28th May 2014 at 03:28 PM.

Oh and if you could get hold of some L'occitane fragrances, they have some really nice offerings at a reasonable price!

Blog Entries

Guerlain Samsara- nice sandalwood

Armani Code, nicer offering at dept store level- (Jasmine & orange blossom)

Chanel- Bois des Iles, best sandalwood (gingerbread note)

Chanel- 31 Rue Cambon, light musk- 'pink' chypre tangy & fun
    Last edited by kumquat; 28th May 2014 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernona View Post
    Ok, then check Cacharel range, maybe noa noa, not exactly what you asked for, but several good fragrances and more affordable definitely...if she'd go with something entertaining floral/fruity then check out Escada fragrances if something would suit her, these are also on a more affordable side...You said she likes Bath and body works, maybe you could be more precise? I very much enjoy their body creams, mostly fruity and summery and these go well with many Escada summer offerings...
    She likes the Sensual - Black Currant Vanilla body lotion from Bath and Body Works (I like it too haha).

There are like 50 Escada fragrances! I hope they have then at Sephora or somewhere
    Using Tapatalk

Try Escada's Cherry in the Air, its got cherry, vanilla, sadalwood...should be good!
    Cacharel amor amor absolu and Guerlain La petit robe noire, 50mls should'nt be overly expensive...

Serge Lutens Santal Majuscule

Chanel 31 Rue Cambon, Chanel Bois des Iles

Mauboussin EDP can be had for less than $50 in most places. Online discounters (fragrancenet, beauty encounter) will have many of the others named here at quite a bit less than dept stores or Sephora. They won't have most of the Chanels or Guerlains, nor the Tom Ford Private Blends.

If she loves the BBW Black Currant & Vanilla, then I think the CK Euphoria EDP (in the dark maroon bottle) -- NOT the EDT -- will really fit the bill.

There's a Nordstrom in South Austin, TX, and they carry Guerlain Samsara EDP for $100 (EDT may be available, too, for less); also they carry Jo Malone fragrances, and something like one of the smaller bottles of Blackberry & Bay, Dark Amber & Ginger Lily, 154 Cologne, Wild Fig & Cassis, which each retail for $60 apiece, might get you what you want. They also carry Dolce & Gabbana Pour Femme Intense, which has fig, jasmine, sandalwood & musk (among other notes), and a small bottle is $93.

Good luck, and please let us know what you choose!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Guerlain Samsara- nice sandalwood

Armani Code, nicer offering at dept store level- (Jasmine & orange blossom)

Chanel- Bois des Iles, best sandalwood (gingerbread note)

Chanel- 31 Rue Cambon, light musk- 'pink' chypre tangy & fun
    +1 on Samsara. Loads of sandalwood.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    There's a Nordstrom in South Austin, TX, and they carry Guerlain Samsara EDP for $100 (EDT may be available, too, for less); also they carry Jo Malone fragrances, and something like one of the smaller bottles of Blackberry & Bay, Dark Amber & Ginger Lily, 154 Cologne, Wild Fig & Cassis, which each retail for $60 apiece, might get you what you want. They also carry Dolce & Gabbana Pour Femme Intense, which has fig, jasmine, sandalwood & musk (among other notes), and a small bottle is $93.

Good luck, and please let us know what you choose!
    Thanks so much, I'll definitely y'all know how it goes.

Thanks for the recommendations Diva

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk