Code of Conduct

Default Vintage Chanel No 5 EdT and Oakmoss?

Hello friends. I've just made a purchase of this fragrance. It's been billed as being vintage 50's but I can't seem to find anything that will corroberate it's age. (any help would be greatly appreciated)

At any rate, I'm getting a ton of oakmoss off of this, which wasn't at all what I was anticipating. Is this typical? Anyone have any thoughts to share?

adabure7.jpg

I find the only thing similar to my modern EdP is the very beginning of the opening and the aldehydes. Other than that, they don't even feel related so far. I knew to expect them to be different, but what I'm wearing here has more in common with Mitsouko than Chanel so I'm just puzzled.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Default Re: Vintage Chanel No 5 EdT and Oakmoss?

Hmmm, tried another spray and it smells more like what I was expecting. Perhaps what was in the sprayer was stale? Could that be what I experienced?

Hmmmm, back to oakmoss.
    Last edited by danieq; 27th May 2014 at 11:31 PM.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Interesting. No 5 was never known for oakmoss - though who knows, there could have been some such iteration. Rather, old no 5 was known for powerful musks and a bit more animalics.

So my guess is indeed that the juice in the sprayer had become sharp. This happens quite often actually, I remember an old thread discussing whether one should just spray away the first few times to avoid this type of events.

cacoi

Well, after having cleared the sprayer with quite a few sprays and wearing again, there is still a strong presence of Oakmoss. Am I the only one ever to have this experience?

And does anyone know the approximate age of my bottle style?

When I visited Osmoteque we were shown some fragrances to smell. We were assured that they were made to the original formulation. One of the fragrances was Chanel 5. Whilst I don't remember a huge amount of Oakmoss, the major difference of this version to the modern version was the amount of Orris we could smell. Whilst the Aldehydes, Jasmin and Ylang were all present and correct, the powdery dryness of Orris was unmistakeable. Could be that your sample is not in the best condition, maybe.

Hmm, 50s? My guess: 80s!
    Oakmoss? - hmm; maybe its gone bad....The "vintages" of N5 Ive smelled are similar to the recent releases, not Mitsouko like.
    Last edited by easyfish; 28th May 2014 at 04:48 PM.

You could be right easyfish, though I would have anticipated that being obvious in the top notes. The oakmoss comes out after about 30 minutes.

I did look at 80's but couldn't find any quite like this, but I really don't know and I guess it's pretty hard to date Chanel.

At least it was very inexpensive.

After extensive testing of several bottles, I've determined that the EdT just does a very strong Oakmoss/Patchouli thing on me. Which is unfortunate because I'm not a big fan of that combo. Guess I'll likely be selling these. Well, maybe I'll hold on and try them in the winter to see if that makes a difference.

Guess I'm an EdP gal!

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    After extensive testing of several bottles, I've determined that the EdT just does a very strong Oakmoss/Patchouli thing on me. Which is unfortunate because I'm not a big fan of that combo. Guess I'll likely be selling these. Well, maybe I'll hold on and try them in the winter to see if that makes a difference.

Guess I'm an EdP gal!
    I also tend to prefer EDPs over the EDTs. I like parfums, but the low sillage usually makes this a poor choice for me...except Vol de Nuit.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.