Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Oeillet Bengale by Aedes de Venustas

I haven't heard much about the new Aedes scent (it's their third fragrance, not including that L'Artisan collaboration), but this morning Robin from Now Smell This posted a review of it. Sounds great.

Oeillet Bengale by Aedes de Venustas is a Oriental fragrance for women and men. The nose behind this fragrance is Rodrigo Flores-Roux. Top notes are turmeric, cinnamon, black pepper, cardamom, cloves and saffron; middle notes are rose, white pepper, strawberry and floral notes; base notes are vanilla, tolu balsam, benzoin and labdanum.
    In her review she calls is a carnation/incense scent. Which sounds fantastic to me.

I am not sure of it's release date.

"You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Oeillet Bengale by Aedes de Venustas

Certainly sounds interesting. Bottle is very unique.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

My interest was peaked when I first read about this on Fragrantica and it is on my list to try on my upcoming trip to NYC.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

It's on my radar also. Sounds great.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

To be released mid-June.

From some of the early reviews, people are saying this is their best one yet.

Oh -- can't wait for this one

Their rhubarb fragrance was fantastic

Basenotes Institution

The perfumer does good incense, DKNY Black Cashmere is one of those early incense scents that really dazzled everyone before incense became so popular.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the info. - another one to try

Basenotes Institution

-- Eckhart Tolle

Looks like a good one. Will have to sample when released.

I love marigold fragrances.

I am guessing the perfume tries to capture the smell of temple incense and marigolds in Bengal.

Last edited by vinramani09; 31st May 2014 at 01:07 AM.

I ordered a decant a month ago! On paper, it should be terrific!

Based on notes & intended experience, this has huge potential.

Hopefully it's not like iris nazarene.

for swap/sale:

I wonder how the turmeric is worked in. Too much curry will turn me away. I could not deal with PdE Fougere Bengale.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I wonder how the turmeric is worked in. Too much curry will turn me away. I could not deal with PdE Fougere Bengale.
    Turmeric has a bitter astringent smell the curry note is caused by cumin.

The reviewer like many people do is confuse Marigold/ Tegetes flower as a Carnation when they are a different species.

Basenotes Institution

Which reviewer vinramani09? The link in my original post (@ NST?) Or the one on GDM?

From the NST one she said this:

...If you've tried the first two, you probably already expected incense, and the name Bengale Oeillet, if you speak French (or even just perfume-French), probably led to you to expect carnation.

You'd be right on both counts. The press materials point out that the Bengale Oeillet is actually a rose (a variety of China rose, to be more specific), but that's not relevant to our concerns. The Aedes Bengale Oeillet is a carnation-incense fragrance, something I never particularly thought to wish for...

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Oh and it's now on sale on the site: http://www.aedes.com/illet-Bengale_p_2033.html

It says: Available June 15th, 2014

-- Eckhart Tolle

Will buy mine tomorrow from them on a pre-sale basis. The two-week wait is OK.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution

Any of you New Yorker's drop by the boutique & smell this one yet?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Which reviewer vinramani09? The link in my original post (@ NST?) Or the one on GDM?

From the NST one she said this:
    If thats indeed in the pressnotes that is wrong. China Rose is completely different.

Oellet is a carnation Oellet D'Inde implies the Tegetes or Marigold, they look similar to carnations, but they are not Carnations. That reviewer got it wrong, Any Francophone will concur with what I said. Also Bengal is famous for Marigolds ,as they use it to adorn goddesses in temples.

Montale had a marigold fragrance, Montale Aoud Oeillet D'Inde, I believe its discontinued now, with a prominent Marigold note, but people confuse it with carnation lol.
    I think Hednic has this one.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Montale had a marigold fragrance, Montale Aoud Oeillet D'Inde, I believe its discontinued now, with a prominent Marigold note, but people confuse it with carnation lol.
    I do have this one. It is discontinued and it is excellent. Thanks for the clarification about the marigold/carnation confusion.

Hednic please do give a review of this. Since you do know what Marigolds smell like ( I have a travel size of that Oeillet , from the Vendome days).
    Come to think of it, the combination of marigold and incense, is trying to capture a temple smell.

Basenotes Plus

Rosa 'La Bengale Oeillet' is also known as the carnation rose and was one painted by Redoute.
    It's referred to on the Aedes product page.

Several roses were known as 'Bengal roses' as they originally arrived in Europe via Bengal.

There's a pic of something similar here.
    Last edited by lpp; 8th June 2014 at 10:28 AM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Basenotes Plus

In on a split for this one. Very excited!
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Rosa 'La Bengale Oeillet' is also known as the carnation rose and was one painted by Redoute.

Several roses were known as 'Bengal roses' as they originally arrived in Europe via Bengal.

China Rose does not even grow in Bengal. Bengal Rose is actually a dye used in Eye procedures.
    Aedes's press release is poorly and randomly written. My main point was Marigolds are often mistaken as Carnations when they are not.
    Also the fact the fragrance turmeric, spices, incense , leads me to believe this is India inspired fragrance. In any case once Hednic gets he would be able to clarify the notes, as he does know how marigolds smell like.

Basenotes Plus

The China roses from China were shipped to Europe via Bengal, apparently, which is why they were incorrectly referred to as 'Bengal roses'.
    One is named Oeillet Bengale (which is also known as 'the carnation rose').
    Last edited by lpp; 8th June 2014 at 09:06 PM.

If thats indeed in the pressnotes that is wrong. China Rose is completely different.

Oellet is a carnation Oellet D'Inde implies the Tegetes or Marigold, they look similar to carnations, but they are not Carnations. That reviewer got it wrong, Any Francophone will concur with what I said. Also Bengal is famous for Marigolds ,as they use it to adorn goddesses in temples.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post

China Rose does not even grow in Bengal. Bengal Rose is actually a dye used in Eye procedures.
    Aedes's press release is poorly and randomly written. My main point was Marigolds are often mistaken as Carnations when they are not.
    Also the fact the fragrance turmeric, spices, incense , leads me to believe this is India inspired fragrance. In any case once Hednic gets he would be able to clarify the notes, as he does know how marigolds smell like.
    I think you were overthinking the connections.

The Aedes de Venustas press release and the two reviews make mention only to Œillet Bengale, and not to Œillet d'Inde, which appear to be two different things.

Œillet Bengale (or rather 'La Bengale Œillet') refers to a rose species which looks like carnation, and the new Aedes de Venustas composition is inspired by that, a rose fragrance with spices, and not marigold.

Œillet d'Inde refers to marigold, and I cannot find any reference to œillet bengale being the same as œillet d'inde (and neither is Bengal the same as India anyway).

Moreover, Grain de musc's review was referenced as well. Denyse Beaulieu is a Francophone, and she did not confuse œillet d'inde with œillet bengale, incidentally. She mentions carnation and rose in her review, and even points out the accord thus "old-school rose-and-ylang carnation accord is centered on Givaudan’s methyl-diantilis, which smells like iso-eugenol with guaiac, vanillin and slightly burnt facets".

Would you persist in believing that this is a marigold-incense composition despite the evidence to the contrary?

Last time I checked Bengal was a major province in India, I actually was there 4 years ago as part of a tour group. Bengal is not the same as India, shows ignorance, the capital of British India was in Bengal state. I suggest you get an atlas or history book. Thats like saying Tuscany has nothing to do with Italy
    It indicates its a Carnation and incense fragrance. Carnation is frequently misconstrued as Marigold, if you bother to read the exchange you would know that.
    That being said, the writing is pretty much on the wall when the , notes includes a combination of tumeric, cinnamon, pepper , cloves
    In any case it was a light exchange between me and Ipp, Your essay was really not needed.

Last time I checked Bengal was a major province in India, I actually was there 4 years ago as part of a tour group. Bengal is not the same as India, shows ignorance, the capital of British India was in Bengal state. I suggest you get an atlas or history book. Thats like saying Tuscany has nothing to do with Italy
    It indicates its a Carnation and incense fragrance. Carnation is frequently misconstrued as Marigold, if you bother to read the exchange you would know that.
    That being said, the writing is pretty much on the wall when the , notes includes a combination of tumeric, cinnamon, pepper , cloves
    In any case it was a light exchange between me and Ipp, Your essay was really not needed.
    Oh, I am sorry, I did not know this thread was a private one for you and lpp (sorry, lpp!).

And I am also sorry to inform you that Bengal is not a major province of India per se. It is an area that now comprises Bangladesh (a different and separate country from India) and West Bengal, a province of India. India itself is way more than Bengal, just like Italy is more than just Toscana. I doubt Sicilians or Lazians or people from the other regions of Italy would like to be called Tuscans, although they would be proud to be called Italians.

And why do I bother to butt in to correct your misconceptions? Because you baldly stated that Aedes de Venustas and the reviewer (from NST) made mistakes when it seems otherwise. I would let the other readers make their own judgements.

Basenotes Institution

Anyone else smell/wear/own this?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hednic please do give a review of this. Since you do know what Marigolds smell like ( I have a travel size of that Oeillet , from the Vendome days).
    Come to think of it, the combination of marigold and incense, is trying to capture a temple smell.
    Just my first impressions as I have had it only for about a month. The thing that greets you at first is the very spicy opening. I get whiffs of cinnamon mixed with clove with just a touch of cardamom (almost couldn't detect it at first) moving then to a soft floral and finishing up with a very pleasant incense dry down. Extremely nice.

Basenotes Plus

First impressions here as well - a sample arrived on Friday and from a very brief test in weather that is not conducive to any activity whatsoever it's certainly a spicy rose and yes, Vin - there is a bit of carnation for a while
    The incense dry down doesn't quite hide the base imo.

Basenotes Institution

Sounds like something I would love. Thanks!

-- Eckhart Tolle

I just finished sampling this and wrote a little review on my blog.
    To me, it's basically a lily-rose floral shot through with spicy carnation atop a musky, vanillic base.
    I'm not gaga for it, but it's OK.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks G!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Thanks G!
    All good, Mike !

Sprayed a bit on my wrist.

Cloves n carnation.

for swap/sale: