Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Bogue Profumo: MAAI

I thought this might be a good moment to say a few words about the new Bogue Profumo fragrance, MAAI, and to rekindle discussion about this incredible line as there are a few other new projects in the works.

Screen Shot 2014-05-31 at 10.24.00 AM.jpg
    (Image courtesy of Antonio Gardoni)

I'm a huge fan of Antonio Gardoni's work, and for some time, I've found him to be one of the most important new voices running laps around what can only be described as a stagnant perfume industry. Like several others, Gardoni has taken it upon himself to salvage old ideas and give them a new lease of life outside of commercial restriction. Last year's Cologne Reloaded and Eau d'E were startling releases, albeit restricted due to the limitations of the vintage materials that they used. And whereas the bar was already set quite high with those two releases, he's really knocked it out of the park with MAAI.

MAAI is a warmly evocative and animalic chypre, but one that doesn't push the musks simply for the sake of being daring; they're absolutely present and central, but not obnoxiously so. My initial impression is that there's a castoreum / hyraceum combination at work, alongside a generous dosing of civet. Both the experience of Montecristo and MKK come to mind, but MAAI splits the difference and turns it down a notch—but only slightly. It's an animalic scent for sure, but in a much more classical vein.

Also, MAAI isn't as herbal as some of his past releases, but it maintains some of the old school form that he's so enamored with. In the past, I've found that his work feels more like a modern twist on vintage, but this one feels purely classical throughout. There's moss, some resins, what strikes me as a spiced lavender, and selection of other florals that are all finely integrated. It's smooth and refined with no sharp edges protruding—a totally baroque thing with a ton of drama. I get the impression of slightly plummy dried fruits, earthy notes, and some gorgeous musks.

Having chatted briefly with Antonio about the composition, the fruity notes that I perceived are actually part of the floral component—a green tuberose, jasmine, ylang ylang, rose. When combined, they feel less floral and more stewed to me—a sort of rich, candied series of notes that you'd expect from bygone perfumery. What spins it a little more fruity is the hyraceum, which lends real character to the overall structure. Although I find this aspect hard to isolate, the scent is structured upon old style aldehydes akin to early Chanel experiments. This is all built over a base labdanum and sandalwood with oriental incense infusions running throughout. It's extremely complex, but feels totally effortless.

MAAI had a soft release at the Smell Festival in Italy last week, and the scent should be ready for order in the next few weeks. For those of you who enjoy either evocative or classical styles—or were intrigued by last year's releases—this one is totally worthy of attention.
    Last edited by deadidol; 31st May 2014 at 06:20 PM.

Default Re: New Bogue Profumo: MAAI

Thanks for the info., deadidol - one more for the 'to do' list!

Thanks DI - been wearing lots of Reloaded, and can't wait for this one!

Thanks for the info.

Appreciate the info.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

If you're at all curious about the name, look here.

Also, there's a recent interview here with Antonio where he discusses the creation of this scent.

Are samples of this line available?

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    If you're at all curious about the name, look here.
    I'm curious as to how this translates into scent.

Thanks, deadidol. Do you know when MAAI will be released for purchase? It doesn't show up on his website yet.

There's also this entry yesterday on Antonio's Bogue Profumo Facebook page. Is this another new fragrance or something 'completely different'?

me trying to explain KER, the smell of an enchanted wood with hiding Fauns and Cereris in a corner resisting Bacchus temptations.
    The moss is wet the trees are dripping resins and it's a warm end of the day, some very sensual activity will happen soon...
    KER is made of wood and resins at a very high volume with a gentle and sexy gardenia appearing trough the leaves

“interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

Quote Originally Posted by Fhaoilgeal View Post
    me trying to explain KER, the smell of an enchanted wood with hiding Fauns and Cereris in a corner resisting Bacchus temptations.
    The moss is wet the trees are dripping resins and it's a warm end of the day, some very sensual activity will happen soon...
    KER is made of wood and resins at a very high volume with a gentle and sexy gardenia appearing trough the leaves
    KER is different. I have smelled it, but I'm not sure what the release details are of that one yet. I also haven't spent enough time with it yet to give any real impressions, but I get coniferous notes, some green fresh things, rose, smoke, and hyraceum.

I hope I get a sample of MAAI included in my delivery from Bogue Profumo! You got my attention at 'animalic chypre'.
    When you get back to KER I'd be very interested if you get the 'sexy gardenia appearing through leaves' that Antonio references.
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Thanks for the links, Deadidol. I'm really impressed with the process he takes. Here's one perfumer I'd gladly support.

Quote Originally Posted by Fhaoilgeal View Post
    I hope I get a sample of MAAI included in my delivery from Bogue Profumo! You got my attention at 'animalic chypre'.
    When you get back to KER I'd be very interested if you get the 'sexy gardenia appearing through leaves' that Antonio references.
    What I'm picking up as rose could be gardenia, but I'll try and do some writing on KER over the next few days.

Very interesting!

for swap/sale:

Here are my thoughts on this stunning beauty…

AS a good friend of mine would say:

F*** ME SIDEWAYS!

WOW! I mean, really, WOW!

I liked Bogue since Gardoni's very early excursions into perfumery but, even though I own full bottles of his previous fragrances, I've never really grown to *love* them. I thoroughly liked them and yes, he immediately showed a great potential and talent but, IMO, none of his previous works were more than good sketches / ideas on potentially great fragrances. Well, with Maai he pushed on the accelerator and delivered something that moves in masterpieces territories.

A big, animalic, old school chypre that says *F*** IFRA* from top to bottom. I've no idea about the strength but this is so potent and concentrated that feels like an extrait. Still too early to go with a proper note breakdown but think about Onda, Jubilation 25 (the feminine), some of the best chypres from the past and O'Driù all of them at the same time. Honestly, mind-blowing.

I'm more than happy because this fragrance, together with the new releases by Comme Des Garcons and to a lesser extent Ombre Indigo by Olfactive Studio, reached me in a moment in which I started feeling terribly bored by the majority of the new launches. These fragrances brought back some enthusiasm and gave me hope that, in the end, perfumery is not dead as long as it skips trite stereotypes and soul-less formulas.

If you dig Vero Profumo's style, you absolutely need Maaj because Gardoni is a solid candidate to become the new *Vero Kern*.

Note: I do apologize for the language but this stuff got me excited to the point I crossed the border of Tourette syndrome.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

hahaha! didn't read past the first line! (although I will)
    On my try list, but where the heck do you try it?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    hahaha! didn't read past the first line! (although I will)
    On my try list, but where the heck do you try it?
    You will have to get in touch with them directly at info@bogue-profumo.com

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    OK thanks

Can't really add much to deadidol and Alfarom's wonderful thoughts, but I've been wearing Maai a few times now, and fully agree, it's a treasure.

As for KER, it was apparently made as a fragrance to scent an art gallery installation.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Do you know whether KER will be released for sale, Mick_Trick?

Great thread!! I am the proud owner of a bottle of COLOGNE RELOADED and also have a sample of MAAI. Both are stunning creations in my opinion. I am testing MAAI as we speak and trying to break it down.....to me it's a Tuberose and Incense heavy scent, with Cloves, Cypress and possibly Castoreum. I would love to see a note breakdown to see what is actually used. Congrats Antonio, a great guy and a magnificent perfumer.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Do you know whether KER will be released for sale, Mick_Trick?
    I've no idea lpp. If I hear I'll post a confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Trick View Post
    I've no idea lpp. If I hear I'll post a confirmation.

Thank you, Mick_Trick

Lightbulb Re: New Bogue Profumo: MAAI

[QUOTE=alfarom;3163376]Here are my thoughts on this stunning beauty…

AS a good friend of mine would say:

F*** ME SIDEWAYS!

WOW! I mean, really, WOW!

If you dig Vero Profumo's style, you absolutely need Maaj because Gardoni is a solid candidate to become the new *Vero Kern*.

I adore Vero Kern's perfumes but have to admit that Onda Extrait was too much of a challenge for me ..... I tried but had to give up but Cologne Reloaded and now Maii are both brilliant scents for a woman as well as a man I let my husband sample and he was equally blown away. I am so very fed up by the market being dominated by so many variations on an Oud theme that seem all the same that I find Maii totally refreshing in style, wonderfully complex, rich and yet not too overpowing for summer and well all I can say as someone who is not good at describing olefactory notes is "bloody brilliant" a sample is NOT enough.

What are the bottle prices looking like?

Lpp, Antonio confirmed the following to me regarding KER:

"Not really planning to release KER as a personal fragrance, it's project created for an olfactory art exhibition in a very small ammount."

Aw - thanks for the info. Mick_Trick

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Trick View Post
    Lpp, Antonio confirmed the following to me regarding KER:

"Not really planning to release KER as a personal fragrance, it's project created for an olfactory art exhibition in a very small ammount."

Wonder if this was the scent he did for Beijing Design Week? http://moreinside.blogspot.sg/2014/0...rdoni-for.html

I've been wearing MAAI for the last 3 days. Wow! Bogue pushed on the accelerator this time! I felt in lo love with Antonio Gardoni's work since the first time I smelled L'Eau d'E and "le 9 vie" bases. Cologne Reloaded was amazing and now MAAI! When I heard that Antonio was working with tuberose I was like:"Oh no! I hate Tuberose!" But Antonio knows how to do it. He came out with an animalic-chypre fragrance where the flower has become masculine and amazing. Will this be the only tuberose I will wear? Probably it will.
    But MAAI it's not only about tuberose. It's also about herbs, moss, resins, oriental inceses that give to this fragrance what I like to call "the Bogue feeling". When you spray it you will say:" It's new but it's Bogue for sure". What is the Bogue feeling? It's the "fil rouge" that links Antonio's work, the old school way of working, the cuddling base notes.
    If you don't know Bogue yet, just e-mail Antonio and he will send you samples. But beware...you will fall in love with this brand!

Does anyone know where (or if) these can be bought? Or is the website being prepared right now?

This is the website
    http://bogue-profumo.com/contact/

KER is a just a concept, a small precious thing (as antonio would say) and it's far from any general or generic idea of perfume. he used some very precious materials that were not in great quantity and some of them will probably be very difficult to find again. he made 300ml total of KER and used 100 ml for the bologna olfactory exhibition. he kept 100ml as archive materials.

colour me crazy, but do i also detect some leather in the later stages of its development?

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Thanks for this, I found the website actually, I was wondering if there were some place to buy the scents (I can't find a shopping cart or anything on that website), or if that part of the website was still under preparation...

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    Thanks for this, I found the website actually, I was wondering if there were some place to buy the scents (I can't find a shopping cart or anything on that website), or if that part of the website was still under preparation...

Quote Originally Posted by danny1967 View Post
    KER is a just a concept, a small precious thing (as antonio would say) and it's far from any general or generic idea of perfume. he used some very precious materials that were not in great quantity and some of them will probably be very difficult to find again. he made 300ml total of KER and used 100 ml for the bologna olfactory exhibition. he kept 100ml as archive materials.

Thanks for the info., danny1967

to my inexperienced nose, this is (so far), antonio's masterpiece (no disrespect to eau d'e and cologne reloaded, which i have both).
    i put the 'untitled jasmine project' which i've had the chance of testing it a few months ago and maai head to head and whilst there are similarities, i would say that maai is the finished product, all refined and polished. i agree with alfarom in his assessment that this is a classic, old fashioned (in the best sense) chypre with animalic undertones and that it feels like a lot of banned/illegal ingredients have been used. i still smell his signature (i.e. camphor and cypress) but waaaay dialled down and refined.
    it feels very evocative, very 20's, i would say a perfume worn by people going dancing to those illegal jazz clubs in chicago during the prohibition era. the tuberose is there, the jasmine, other florals which i cannot detect, all very smooth, all very polished. the florals would probably stop me from buying a full bottle, but damn, it's gorgeous (i get a headache/dizzy from tuberose and white florals in general). i cannot wait to smell this on my wife. personally, i don't know if i can pull it off but i'd get a bottle just to sniff it from time to time. it's classic and classy at the same time and when i smell it i think chanel perfumes from a bygone era.
    when i mentioned this to antonio (re. 'early Chanel'), he said that my reference to it was spot on as he's used some 'old style/ very basic' aldehydes and i quote, "probably very similar to the first ones used in early stage of Chanel perfume experiments."
    also, not wanting to deflate anyone, but he said that all the ingredients/components in the perfume are completely and entirely legal, and i quote: "MAAI is probably the most "legal" perfume I made until now even the real animals in it are legal!".
    i've immensely enjoyed the drydown but i could probably skip the opening and middle phases (pretty much the first couple of hours, at least, it is that potent) and when i said this to antonio, he said to "spray it on the skin on the low chest area, under your t-shirt and shirt, like a cheap deodorant".
    this might be the most expensive deodorant ever (that i'll buy).
    that's all for now.
    Last edited by danny1967; 5th June 2014 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by danny1967 View Post
    "MAAI is probably the most "legal" perfume I made until now even the real animals in it are legal!".
    There's still hope then

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    There's still hope then
    This is what I wrote to Antonio after I tested the samples he so graciously sent me
    "Dear Antonio,what the hell did I do here?I've landed myself into some deep waters indeed,your perfumes are going to get me bankrupt, I find them bloody fantastic,I love both Cologne reloaded and MAAI.I couldn't do a very good notes breakdown,my nose is not experienced enough for this,and the 2 perfumes especially MAAI are very well blended. Cologne Reloaded starts with an intense herbal vibe,kind of fougere style,quickly followed by a sort of soft,slightly sweet lemon nestled into a mossy nest,then a almond,iris and heliotrope heart,very akin to LHeure Bleue a bit less powdery,then in the drydown there's also a hint of smoke.I'm rambling on,and probably way off the mark,but I hope I won't make you laugh too hard.Then MAAI:this one starts intensely bright and green,a kind of camphoraceous tropical vibe there's definitely ylang ylang there supported by old fashion aldehydes.There are some musky,animalic notes too and some other florals,some sort of oriental vibe too,maybe some sandalwood with a touch of incense.I'm not too sure I need to retest.Well done,I will definitely order one of them,maybe both "

Now available
    http://bogue-profumo.com/maai/

Having only just applied some for the first time - wow, anyone missing the classics & after something classy should definitely be in for some fun here.
    Last edited by lpp; 21st June 2014 at 01:09 PM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

What is the pricing like on this one? It sounds right up my alley for sure, but I can't be dropping $300 on a scent or something, especially one I have not smelled. Also, you'd think that for someone with multiple fragrances he'd have a working webpage where you could buy stuff instead of having to email him.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    What is the pricing like on this one? It sounds right up my alley for sure, but I can't be dropping $300 on a scent or something, especially one I have not smelled. Also, you'd think that for someone with multiple fragrances he'd have a working webpage where you could buy stuff instead of having to email him.
    It is $130,00 euro for 30mL plus mailing from Italy.

He is one person, who is just starting out. He basically releases one-two perfumes at a time, in very small batches. Eau d'E and Cologne Reloaded may have been 75 bottles at the most. Right now, his business is being done from word of mouth.

If you e-mail Antonio, I am sure he would be willing to send you a sample to try.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    It is $130,00 euro for 30mL plus mailing from Italy.

He is one person, who is just starting out. He basically releases one-two perfumes at a time, in very small batches. Eau d'E and Cologne Reloaded may have been 75 bottles at the most. Right now, his business is being done from word of mouth.

If you e-mail Antonio, I am sure he would be willing to send you a sample to try.
    Thanks for the info. So that's like $180 plus international shipping, so pretty steep for me at least. Still, it does sound like something worth at least trying to sample, so I may take your advice and email him.

And I get what you are saying in terms of it being one person with limited releases, but so are companies like Ryan's MadHat scents, and he has a checkout option.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Basenotes Plus

And I get what you are saying in terms of it being one person with limited releases, but so are companies like Ryan's MadHat scents, and he has a checkout option.
    Having that checkout option limits his shipping to the US, as he's mentioned in the MadHat Scents thread.

Considering that Antonio is located in Italy (and this is all speculation), setting up a checkout option based on his local market would mean you'd have to contact him directly anyway to get a correct shipping pricing - so of the participants in the thread, only alfarom would be able to take advantage of this.

I imagine that setting up webstore software intelligent enough to take into account all the specifics in terms of shipping restrictions and regulations for several countries would be too much overhead (which would add to your steep $180 USD) for someone that has limited and sporadic output of products. It would be more feasible if he were constantly releasing fragrances or had long running product lines.

This way, you're less likely to get discouraged by going to the website and seeing "shipping to USA not available." Contacting him via email takes exactly as much effort as posting on the thread wondering about why this and that isn't so - AND you get the information from the horse's mouth (no offense to Antonio).

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Having that checkout option limits his shipping to the US, as he's mentioned in the MadHat Scents thread.

Considering that Antonio is located in Italy (and this is all speculation), setting up a checkout option based on his local market would mean you'd have to contact him directly anyway to get a correct shipping pricing - so of the participants in the thread, only alfarom would be able to take advantage of this.

I imagine that setting up webstore software intelligent enough to take into account all the specifics in terms of shipping restrictions and regulations for several countries would be too much overhead (which would add to your steep $180 USD) for someone that has limited and sporadic output of products. It would be more feasible if he were constantly releasing fragrances or had long running product lines.

This way, you're less likely to get discouraged by going to the website and seeing "shipping to USA not available." Contacting him via email takes exactly as much effort as posting on the thread wondering about why this and that isn't so - AND you get the information from the horse's mouth (no offense to Antonio).
    I can't really comment on the validity of your argument, as I don't know the logistics of shipping things internationally from Italy, but there are plenty of companies that have relatively simple algorithms for websites that figure out the cheapest flat rate to ship something international (usually still expensive, but it takes out the guesswork on the website owner's front) by asking for a postal code. I'm not a website scripter or designer, so I can't really offer him any help with that personally, but I'm sure the resources are out there for someone even with limited releases. And you are right on the effort front, but you are wrong on the immediacy of the information. For example, I messaged him via email around noon EST and have not heard back (probably due to the time difference as it was like 7 PM for him when I messaged him). This isn't a big deal, but with a website that has calculated shipping you know instantly, which is valuable to at least some.

Either way, I never said it was a major problem or anything. It would, however, be helpful to know the price of the products someone is selling through their website. That, in my eyes, is one of the main functions of having a website for a company. It doesn't make me any less interested in the scents or anything, I'm just offering my opinion.
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 25th June 2014 at 02:15 AM.

I've worn this twice from an official sample spray.

It felt like he saw that a lot of people were craving poop. Just flat out fecal perfumeness.

So he said ok. I'll give you guys fecal.

It's pretty fecal. No doubt about it.

But what else?

It felt like it was going in circles.

I kept waiting for it to develop.

Normally, perfumes like Maai have my name written all over them.

But Maai felt like the majority of perfume skill effort was directed into achieving skank.
    AND it does.

And I love skank.

But it felt there was more than fecal notes but not enough stand out & announce their presence.

Like for example in vintage Route du Vetiver or Norma Incense. They each revolve around a single note with apt supportive notes.
    In Maai, I know they're there. But I can barely make out what they are or what purpose they serve.

Maai isn't a bad perfume.
    It's more of a soliskank.
    I have high quality essential oils of castoreum, hyraceum & civet from Abdessalam of profumo.it.

Maai smells like them with very little else in terms of supporting notes ore accords.

Like how Carnal Flower & Vetiver Extraordinaire are tuberose & vetiver based perfumes.

I own & love those particular note-centric perfumes.

I love skank but I like my skank to have a pronounced accord along with it.

If you want a skank dominated perfume that only needs 4 sprays to last a good 8 hours, then Maai will suit you very well.

I like the potential Antonio has & hope to see more fine tuned compositions from him.

for swap/sale:

Very curious to test this... but alas I won't get the chance until much later in the summer... is it really that fecal?! I'm not opposed to fecal per se, but if the perfume is structured around a 'poop accord,' it will be another one of those for wearing at home....

It's fecality is among the lines of l'ombre fauve, musc koublai Khan & similar.

But with more intensity not more poop aroma.

for swap/sale:

It seems very mossy to me - I don't have a problem wearing it outside

Sound Scents

I have only had a chance to give Maai one full wearing, but so far on my skin I am not picking up the fecal aspects, but definitely find it *highly* animalic. I get tons of a musky animalic ingredient, possibly hyrax driving most of its development, coupling with thick castoreum -- far more than I usually enjoy. There are also some floral (rose and tuberose) and herbal undercurrents throughout. The herbal mix immediately makes the composition recognizable as one from Bogue, but the animalics are definitely the driver here. I think Maai is a solid composition, but it definitely does not play to my preferences. For me, Eau d'E is easily the best thing Antonio has released and I absolutely love it... That said, Maai is quite good too if heavy animalics are your thing. Not a buy for me, but I can see the appeal to others.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    is it really that fecal?!
    No, not at all.

It's predominantly hyraceum with some castoreum and civet. It's akin to MKK, only the hyraceum spins it a bit more "fruity" I guess. Definitely not fecal, though.

I honestly wouldn't describe MAAI as fecal. Muaky and animalic seem more appropriate adjectives IMO. Warm and old-school as opposed to straight up skanky stuff. Loads of oak moss too…

BTW, I just purchased a full bottle and both the packaging and the flacon are extremely nice. The cap is a sextoy-like foam/latex thing which is pretty funny...

Absolutely fecal.

Definitely not blind buy friendly.

for swap/sale:

I'd say fatty animalic, not fecal. But I can be musk anosmic at times.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Absolutely fecal.

Definitely not blind buy friendly.
    It is interesting that your take on the fragrance is different from most, especially considering you are one of the more experienced noses around here. I'm definitely not against fecal if it is done well when it comes to the rest of the composition, but if it is just a steaming pile of poo for no reason or that is disjointed from the rest of the fragrance I can't say I'd be a fan.

Either way I do believe Antonio is being kind enough to set me up with a sample to see. Until then I'll be saving my pennies just in case.

Where can you get samples?
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

Samples are via email to Antonio.
    info@bogue-profumo.com

Having bought a bottle, I've been wearing it quite a bit and don't get fecal either.

More a bit dirty, in the way that L'Air de Rien is not fecal but is on the dirty side as opposed to seriously fecal as in some Ouds.

I do love moss and a lot of the 'oldies' 'though, so the use of some old-style ingredients is both interesting and apparent.

And the packaging has been so well thought out - even the squidgy bit
    Last edited by lpp; 29th June 2014 at 09:08 AM.

I'm definitely not against fecal if it is done well when it comes to the rest of the composition, but if it is just a steaming pile of poo for no reason or that is disjointed from the rest of the fragrance I can't say I'd be a fan.
    That won't be the case here—this stuff is brilliantly rendered. It's an unusual tuberose, jasmine, sandalwood, incense, and aldehyde scent with a healthy dose of castoreum, hyraceum, and civet. It's old-school feeling for sure in that it ramps up some of the animalics, but it's so perfectly pitched and balanced that you can't help but enjoy it. If Montecristo held any appeal, this will certainly make you happy as it's on a similar frequency. Phenomenally well done, and certainly a contender for "best of 2014."
    Last edited by deadidol; 29th June 2014 at 04:39 PM.