Code of Conduct

Default Is it only sunlight that's bad for fragrances?

Im a little confused.. i hear light's bad for fragrances and to keep them in a cool dark place. But half the youtube reviewers have all theirs out on shelves unboxed. So is it only sunlight that's bad or what?

Default Re: Is it only sunlight that's bad for fragrances?

Direct sunlight is very bad but it all depends how long you plan keeping them - if you're going to use them fairly quickly a bit of light (indirect) doesn't matter too much. Mine are all kept in the dark and they will keep for many years that way.

Ahh ok.. thanks ipp. ;-)
    Last edited by Mitchapalooza; 31st May 2014 at 09:32 PM.

Continuous direct exposure to incandescent light is also not optimal IMO. Otherwise, you should be fine
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Yes I think fragrances can handle the change in temperature etc as long as they sealed. I think if you keep them in original box away from strong heat they should last many years.
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

Heat as well.

As others have said. Direct sunlight is bad. In a room where they don't get sunlight it's ok for a few years. But if one is thinking about long term conservation, darkness is definitely a must.

Heat is bad as well, so they should not be near a heat source. Ideally, a cool place is better. The osmotheque, the perfume "library" in Paris, keeps its perfumes at 12C, in the dark, and in argon filled bottles (oxygen is also bad, but there's little one can do for that).

Do not assume youtube or stores give the good example. For instance, Sephora keeps their perfumes on sale under hot lights, which is as bad as it gets. Same for the creams, which get spoiled even more easily.

cacio

Thanks for all the helpful answers guys.. and @cacio- that's why when you go to sephora don't buy the ones they have under the lights.. get the ones in the drawer below where they keep the extras. ;-)

Great feedback. Too much heat or direct light is no good for any perfume bottle. I have kept mine for years in the dark. Thank you.

Mitcha:

Good point, never thought about asking for that at these stores ... (I simply didn't buy there)

cacio

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Oxygen exposure harms fragrances also. Not much of a problem in original spray bottles but decanting a small amount to a large bottle can harm fragrances over time. Surface area contact with oxygen and volume of oxygen to fragrance in a container should be minimized. (smallest possible decant/sample containers).
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As others have said. Direct sunlight is bad. In a room where they don't get sunlight it's ok for a few years. But if one is thinking about long term conservation, darkness is definitely a must.
    But if bottles are kept well contained in their original box, isn't this as good as darkness for the bottle itself? Mine are stored in a dim, but not dark, room, out of direct light and most within their original boxes. Hoping that this is sufficient.....!

Blog Entries

Yes, it's the light that causes heat. Both are bad. And over time, oxygen or evaporation takes it's toll especially on parfum.

Dave:

keeping stuff in the box as you do seems perfectly fine. But as kumquat was saying (and this is not your case) one must be careful. If sunlight from a window hits a box, the box will warm up-creating heat. As we were discussing, the stuff at Sephora etc might be in a box, but under those warm lights, they cook, in or out of the box.

cacio

Mitcha:

Good point, never thought about asking for that at these stores ... (I simply didn't buy there)

cacio
    Yea i hardly ever shop there either.. i might stop in for a quick look to see if they get anything new (which is hardly ever). My name's Mitchell or Mitch btw. Mitchapalooza is from the movie "old school" I got kinda wild at a party one night so everybody started calling me mitchapalooza. Lol

I thought fragrances were also quite sensitive to extreme temperature changes. The humidity (and hence the temperature) in a bathroom (that is obviously in regular use) can go up and down by quite a large amount.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I thought fragrances were also quite sensitive to extreme temperature changes. The humidity (and hence the temperature) in a bathroom (that is obviously in regular use) can go up and down by quite a large amount.
    I'm not sure about this or heat in general. The fragrance is pretty much sealed. Unless the heat is enough to make the liquid bubble, I think it will be alright.

It's the light photons that are able to penetrate and cause a reaction (over a long period of time though)

I think that mainly obtains to niche since they usually use more natural ingredients.. which are more susceptible to deterioration than your average synthetic frag.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    I think that mainly obtains to niche since they usually use more natural ingredients.. which are more susceptible to deterioration than your average synthetic frag.
    This is not an accurate assumption. In fact, I've had some mini versions of commercial perfumes that smell way off. I'm convinced it's because they are filled first and then run through a printing process. Or in some way exposed to heat because they often smell worse than the actual perfume once I have a chance to smell a full bottle.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Kumquat that may have been a function of volume. Mini's volumes are small enough to allow a rapid temperature change while larger volumes would take much longer to do so. Also the glass bottle of a Mini is probably thinner than a regular size bottle, and that would allow a more rapid exchange of temperature.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Kumquat that may have been a function of volume. Mini's volumes are small enough to allow a rapid temperature change while larger volumes would take much longer to do so. Also the glass bottle of a Mini is probably thinner than a regular size bottle, and that would allow a more rapid exchange of temperature.
    Oh, yes. I suppose that could be a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    This is not an accurate assumption. In fact, I've had some mini versions of commercial perfumes that smell way off. I'm convinced it's because they are filled first and then run through a printing process. Or in some way exposed to heat because they often smell worse than the actual perfume once I have a chance to smell a full bottle.
    Hmm.. guess i assumed wrong. lol
    Last edited by Mitchapalooza; 4th June 2014 at 09:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    Hmm.. guess i assumed wrong. lol
    I don't mean to be preachy. I really do think it's a bad idea to leave bottles out on dresser tops. Unless they are very dark opaque and there is absolutely no chance of sunlight hitting them.

Some naturals have short life span (citrus), others very long one (patch, sandalwood. Indeed, patch improves with age). Same for synthetics. Aldehydes can turn easily, musks less so. In general, basenotes keep better than top notes.

As for mini vs regular, I've noticed no particular relation. Often, mini are stashed away in a drawer, which helps for conservation relatively to a bottle, more often than not kept outside.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I don't mean to be preachy. I really do think it's a bad idea to leave bottles out on dresser tops. Unless they are very dark opaque and there is absolutely no chance of sunlight hitting them.
    Oh i agree.. i have mine in a small cabinet mounted on the wall.. like a medacine cabinet kinda. Its all white so i'm thinking of getting a friend to airbrush some designs on it. Just don't know what yet. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I'm not sure about this or heat in general. The fragrance is pretty much sealed. Unless the heat is enough to make the liquid bubble, I think it will be alright.

It's the light photons that are able to penetrate and cause a reaction (over a long period of time though)
    I suppose you could be right Kaern, but I just can't risk it. All my scents are kept in bedrooms, in the wardrobe, which is cool and totally dry / free of moisture.

I suppose you could be right Kaern, but I just can't risk it. All my scents are kept in bedrooms, in the wardrobe, which is cool and totally dry / free of moisture.
    Yeah -- of course. Why take a chance.

Sunlight, garlic and crucifixes.

Wait, what were we talking about?
    Just say no to oniomania.

Default Is it only sunlight that's bad for fragrances?

The very worst presentation of fragrances I came across was the Chanel Exclusifs range at an airport (possibly B'ham) a couple of years ago. They had a big special stand with rods dipped into reservoirs of each perfume. When you removed the rod, bright light issued forth from the orifice. The bulbs below also heated the juice, which was about the right temperature for bathing a baby. The few I sampled smelled distinctly off. Obviously this expensive display was developed by someone concerned only with visual presentation. Epic fail!

Direct light in a cool environment will damage perfumes.

I've seen perfumes change colors like a chameleon at Fiesta.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Direct light in a cool environment will damage perfumes.

I've seen perfumes change colors like a chameleon at Fiesta.
    Yea i saw a bottle of burberry men at sephora the juice turned pink.. i thought it was a new frag or something haha.. the lady had put the bottle in front of the burberry men boxes & i was like umm i don't think that's right cuz burberry men is an amber/yellow color. No telling how many years that bottle's been sitting there. Lol

Basenotes Plus

Heat is bad as well, so they should not be near a heat source. Ideally, a cool place is better. The osmotheque, the perfume "library" in Paris, keeps its perfumes at 12C, in the dark, and in argon filled bottles (oxygen is also bad, but there's little one can do for that).

Do not assume youtube or stores give the good example. For instance, Sephora keeps their perfumes on sale under hot lights, which is as bad as it gets. Same for the creams, which get spoiled even more easily.

cacio
    Which is why I do not purchase fragrances or body creams from Sephora.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Which is why I do not purchase fragrances or body creams from Sephora.
    I buy fragrances from sephora but i never buy the ones they keep out under the warm lights.. I always buy the ones they keep in the drawers below where they keep the extras.