Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Institution FSU92grad's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone wear stronger winter frags in the summer and warmer weather?

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Yeah, extreme temps do make a difference. We tend not to have too many of those in the UK, it just wobbles about between 'cold' and 'lukewarm' mostly.
    Yea...You guys can probably pull off just about anything over there in the UK in terms of scents....Florida is mostly warm all year round....Occasionally at night in the winter it can get down in the 40's but then the next day its back up to 85 degrees F....
    TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) MFK Baccarat Rouge 540
    2.) Frank no. 2 LA
    3.) Creed Viking
    4.) Creed Royal Mayfair
    5.) ADG Profumo
    6.) Lampblack
    7.) New York Intense (parfum)
    8.) Fahrenheit
    9.) Dusita Issara
    10.) Gengis Khan

Honorable Mention: Chanel Sycomore
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

^

Number of sprays N = {(6-L)x(7-P)}/2 (where L = longevity and P = projection, on a scale of 1-5).

I love wearing barnyard when it's 100+, but that's just for me. I wouldn't go anywhere like that.

Basenotes Plus

I think if applied lightly, heavier scents can be ok. But then again in Central CA coast it's relatively cool. One spray of Kouros from a smaller atomizer worked great the other day..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear whatever whenever but depending on how heavy a fragrance is, I'll be mindful of the number of sprays.

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    Please take my advice on this...DON'T wear anything you want when you want....Do you wear any type of shirt when you want or any pair of shoes when you want? Do you wear running shoes when you run or dress shoes? How about a Tuxedo to a BBQ? Cashmere sweater turtleneck sweater to the beach when its 95 degrees? My point is this....Just like EVERYTHING we wear we dress for the occasion or season...Should Fragrance be any different? Fragrance should be NO different to me and just because you want to wear something that's stronger and more robust in the Summer doesn't mean you should...Think about the people around you that have to endure your decision on what heavy fragrance you sprayed on this morning Sorry, but to me the most selfish thing you can do is not consider other people around you and wear some cloying, heavy clouded scent because you FEEL like it...If you don't plan on leaving the house, then that's ok...It bugs me that people don't consider that or other people's sensitivities....Perhaps somebody has allergies to your fragrance or ANY fragrance....Perhaps you think your stinky niche fragrance is the "bomb-diddly" but to others you REEK and they do not have the heart to tell ya....

This "wear what you want when you want" mentality is silly to me...because we don't do that with clothing, shoes, jewelry etc.....I think there are specific fragrances that are just too difficult and risky to wear when its hot outside and yes, you will think you smell fantastic but others will be clearing the room....I can think of a couple like that...LeMale and Killian's, Serge Luten's, Amouage, etc to me should be reserved for evenings out or perhaps the fall/winter times...They are simply too opulent and should be reserved IMO for cooler nights or months....And then there are your lighter citrus fragrances that really shine when applied during the hot months....Fragrances like Lalique White, Chanel Bleu, Xerjoff Nio, MFL Oud, Amyris, Creed Aventus, OV and MI....Even Royal Oud but I still wear that one more at night.....Versace fragrances are great for the Summer as a designer scent...Most Vetivers work great in heat like VE and Sycomore.....

Trust me on this one...you DO or SHOULD care about what you wear when you wear it....Just my two cents....
    I have to agree 100%. Joop on the 4th of July? Don't think so. Angel Men at the beach? Nope. Not for me anyway.

Dependent

No never. Never have never will. I have too many fragrances to try and force it like that. If its hot outside, why would I reach for Tuscan Leather if I have Grey Vetiver?
    Seasonal rotation:

1861 Naxos by Xerjoff
    Fetish Pour Homme by Roja Dove
    Amber Absolute by Tom Ford
    Royal English Leather by Creed
    Chypre Palatin by MDCI

haha just reminded me that I drenched myself in pure malt 4th of July 2013 and everyone was asking me what i was wearing. It was cutting through all the firework fumes that my friends and I were lighting off at his house party haha

Depends on the 'Summer'. No way i can pull off winter frags in peak summers where i live. I made that mistake once when i wore just two sprays of DHI in 37C heat (humidity was about 70 or so) and my friends almost threw me out of the car. Gave me a headache too. Also, if the mercury is hovering around 40C with 90+ humidity, i am pretty sure its almost impossible to pull off even the likes of La Nuit and Code.

Quote Originally Posted by DarshVader View Post
    Also, if the mercury is hovering around 40C with 90+ humidity, i am pretty sure its almost impossible to pull off even the likes of La Nuit and Code.
    'Chavs' in the UK seem to have a propensity for dousing themselves in La Nuit de L'Homme in the height of summer, before setting out to loaf around the shopping precinct in gangs.

Last edited by Marais; 2nd June 2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Illustration
    Number of sprays N = {(6-L)x(7-P)}/2 (where L = longevity and P = projection, on a scale of 1-5).

'Chavs' in the UK seem to have a propensity for dousing themselves in La Nuit de L'Homme in the height of summer, before setting out to loaf around the shopping precinct in gangs.

Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    Actually, no I'm really not like you....Most of my scents are geared for Summer more-so than Winter Scents because down here in Florida we really don't have winters or COLD weather so i have to be careful with the cloying Kilian-type fragrances....They simply are too overbearing for me....Many may work inside where there is A/C and cooler so it might not be a problem for them but I do not so I tend to wear lighter, citrus, woodsy scents....And really I wear them all year round....My winter scents are the ones I rarely wear, unless it's for a special occasion
    Lucky you, no winters at all...my dream of life!

Sometimes yes, mostly no.

Deep dry woods/incense fragrances like CdG 2 MAN and M7 (original or current) work decent in the heat. So does Straight to Heaven thanks to the rum and patchouli. The deeper vanillic orientals and mossy leather chypres are hard to wear in warm weather.
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Vintage Dior Leather Oud for sale (US only)

I think it's a matter of knowing of this

Environment (where will you be wearing this? In/outside, party, etc. this includes Temp.)
    Amount of sprays (it stands to reason if it's hotter out less sprays if it's a bold scent. Usually)
    Your skin (how does it project/handle the fragrance?)
    and most importantly, knowing the fragrance. You just have to feel it all out, are you going to wear 6 sprays of le male in a 85+ F* weather? hopefully not. I couldn't wear pure malt in the summer, I got sick. But I loved it when I had it in cold weather.

I think the winter/summer comparison is a general rule that can be worked around IF you know what you're doing but for the most part should be followed. More so by non enthusiasts

Quote Originally Posted by DanHD View Post
    I think if applied lightly, heavier scents can be ok. But then again in Central CA coast it's relatively cool. One spray of Kouros from a smaller atomizer worked great the other day..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. Lighter applications of heavy scents could work reasonably well.

Re: Kouros, I actually like it better in warmer temps. I also prefer a lighter touch with Kouros regardless of temps. I recently went a bit too heavy on the trigger, and throughout the day I kept realizing its magic gets lost in higher doses.

Technically I DO wear what I want when I want.

Be cause when it's too hot outside and I'm looking at my perfumes deciding what to wear, my stomach turns even thinking of wearing some of them in the heat. So my brain will just naturally point me in the right direction.

I've never "wanted" to wear Amber Absolute in Chicago's nasty humidity.

I did however wear Dark Aoud the other day in about 84 degrees and it worked very nicely.
    "I am more afraid of an army of 100 Sheep led by a Lion than an army of 100 Lions led by a Sheep."
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

Lmao chavs!!! I remember learning that term from my xbox live friends in the UK. This picture reminds me of the movie Kidulthood. Inbred pikey chavs!

My cousin wears Angel Men in the scorching Arizona heat. It doesn't "fit" like the way us Basenoters try to fit our fragrances to occasion/season/etc, but it certainly doesn't smell blasphemous either...
    My Current Fab Five Fragrances:
    1) Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male
    2) YSL La Nuit De L'homme
    3) Acqua Di Gio Profumo
    4) Valentino Uomo Intense
    5) Jean Paul Gaultier Ultra Male

With the watering down of the current releases, the temptation will be to wear the stronger winter scents year around.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyLeMale View Post
    My cousin wears Angel Men in the scorching Arizona heat. It doesn't "fit" like the way us Basenoters try to fit our fragrances to occasion/season/etc, but it certainly doesn't smell blasphemous either...

I also wore le male for many summers and have my 2.5oz bottle from when i bought it back in summer 2004 in the UK. That is when discovered le male for the first time. It still has about half left but im keeping that for the memories. I currently have a reformulated 4.2 ounce bottle that i dont like and a super le male bottle that seems like its lacking performance and lasting power although it smells just like when i first smelt it.

Sure.
    But summer isn't a big deal for me because I have shaded parking where I go.

I don't get hot and sweaty.
    for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

The high today in the beautiful Pacific Northwest will be 62, so my wardrobe is wide open.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyLeMale View Post
    That will be low humidity though. Try wearing Angel men in a high humidity region like Florida and see what happens, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Sometimes yes, mostly no.

Deep dry woods/incense fragrances like CdG 2 MAN and M7 (original or current) work decent in the heat. So does Straight to Heaven thanks to the rum and patchouli. The deeper vanillic orientals and mossy leather chypres are hard to wear in warm weather.
    This. 'winter' frags which are dry will work better in the heat than gourmands etc.
    Low humidity will also help. Strong oud based scents work just fine in the dry Arabian weather.