Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Today I Bought - June 2014

jujy, the bottle of Americana Rust is in good company I see!

La Via del Profumo Mecca Balsam

My first purchase from AbdesSalaam Attar, really looking forward to it. This is my first and last purchase in a while as I'm trying to put as much as I can towards my down payment towards a home! Will share my thoughts once it arrives.

Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

10416991_10154288408290182_3044538725096329310_n.jpg

From a lovely split. I've been dying to get my hands on Liu and this is a small amount of Vol de Nuit Parfum in lieu of tons.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

I am so bad. Bois des Îles perfume and Coromandel arrived today.

It's more fun to be bad, so there is that.

queen of the universe

Two more from our friend and fellow basenotes member, rynegne:

Engin and SantL from Madhat Scents. These are my second and third Madhat scents, the first being American Rust, to which Engin bears a resemblance. Another basenotes member, noideawhatimsaying also compared these two, and since I can't improve on his descriptions I will include them, to wit:

Americana Rust - Imagine yourself riding besides a tobacco field in the middle of rural North Carolina. It's a beautiful day in the Fall, nearing dusk, and you're needing a quick rest. As you pull over to the side of the road, you notice an old, brownish-red barn that looks like its seen many riders in its days. Its history is alluring, and you want to rest your tired eyes within it. Crossing to the barn, you lay down. The air is filled with the smell of both wood and the of the fields which surround it. There is nothing but the barn and crop, and its calm strength forms protection around you. It's American in its purest sense, and you're the cowboy. This is Americana Rust. Though, "simple" in ingredients, its the epitome of a lone rider on an open road.

Engin - Take the tobacco field in Americana Rust, light a fire, and let the flames engulf the barn. The sense of calm as you laid within the old barn changed into urgency. The once beautiful barn is burning to the ground with the smell of mesquite smoke emanating from it. The cowboy, once passive, walks away from the danger. This man has seen things, and knows that the sight of this land burning is an image that won't go away. That's the impression Engin leaves on you, a sense of alluring danger and bold uniqueness.
    I recommend SantL highly to anyone curious about the Mysore sandalwood mystique. While there are cinnamon and citrus notes, woods highlight the scent, and not just the sandalwood. In fact, if there is a uniting note in rynegene's creations, I would have to say it is wood,and the wood tends to star rather than playing a supporting role. Bravo, Ryan!
    Last edited by jujy54; 21st June 2014 at 02:25 PM. Reason: It's SantL not Santal (;
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Thanks jujy!!! I'm glad you're enjoying your MadHat perfumes. I do use cedar in a lot of my fragrances I absolutely love woody notes which is reflected in my scents.
    Last edited by rynegne; 21st June 2014 at 05:11 AM.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

Wow, check this stuff out, amazing

IMG_2106.jpg
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

queen of the universe

rynegne, aka Ryan,

I can understand the fascination with wood. I used to sniff at the inside of my double bass from time to time, and I love the smeel of pencil shavings. Ah! and now I realize your scents are honing in on my dream scent: pencil shavings, wet cigar and bass rosin.

Basenotes Plus

I bought MadHat's SantL as well. I am looking forward to trying it after all the good buzz here. I admire creativity in any form, especially wearable forms!

Thanks all for the support, I really appreciate it! SantL is my favorite creation thus far. I spared no expenses in sourcing the Mysore for this. I felt everyone that loves woody notes should have the chance to try Mysore Sandalwood outside of paying hundreds of dollars for discontinued fragrances.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Thanks all for the support, I really appreciate it! SantL is my favorite creation thus far. I spared no expenses in sourcing the Mysore for this. I felt everyone that loves woody notes should have the chance to try Mysore Sandalwood outside of paying hundreds of dollars for discontinued fragrances.
    Ryan, all this talk about your fragrances, especially the tobacco and sandalwood centered ones, has me salivating over here......is there any way for me to get my hands on them, considering I'm in Eastern Europe? Or am I doomed to experience them vicariously through the words of lucky American BN friends?
    “There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Suurender to Chance should have my scents up this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post
    Ryan, all this talk about your fragrances, especially the tobacco and sandalwood centered ones, has me salivating over here......is there any way for me to get my hands on them, considering I'm in Eastern Europe? Or am I doomed to experience them vicariously through the words of lucky American BN friends?

Well done

Basenotes Plus

That is wonderful news for you, Ryan, well done!
    “There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks all!

Today I bought a 5 ml decant of Frédéric Malle, Parfum de Therese. My goal is to try as many of Edmond Roudnitska fragrances that I can find.

Atélier Cologne Silver Iris, Gold Leather and Sous le Toit de Paris.

Basenotes Plus

Parfumerie Generale Un Crime Exotique. I love this stuff, so naturally it has been discontinued. Found it in the Sales threads!

Basenotes Plus

Continuing to bust the budget this month with Montale Jasmin Full, Creed Virgin Island Water, and vintage Brosseau Ombre Bleue.

Shalimar Ode A La Vanille

Samples of Angelique, Anubis & Tobacco Rose from Papillon.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Samples of Angelique, Anubis & Tobacco Rose from Papillon.
    I am expecting my three samples today - looking forward to these

I had a slight accident (I'm clumsy) with the Anubis atomiser but it's my favourite so far
    They ship fast so you should have them soon

After the bottle of Miss Dior vintage parfum I've been having a rather tough month, which can be seen by the splurge I've had this month:

a Shalimar Parfum Initial set including body lotion (because I know it's being discontinued so I'd better pick it up while I can)
    50ml of Weil Antilope EdP
    a Dior miniatures set, which includes more Miss Dior, Poison, Fahrenheit, Eau Sauvage and Dune
    7.5ml of Fidji parfum
    Fragonard Patchouli EdT
    and a backup bottle of vintage Givenchy Gentleman, picked up for a song.

I think I'd better not repeat this month too often.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

My birthday soon so the wife gave me the green light to order DH and TDH.
    Summer is coming so particularly looking forward to giving the TDH a run.

Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    a Shalimar Parfum Initial set including body lotion (because I know it's being discontinued so I'd better pick it up while I can)
    I'll be going to test this later today, as I've never really given it a chance. I've heard mixed things though, so I'm hoping for the best.

Coeur de Vetiver Sacre by L'Artisan

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    After the bottle of Miss Dior vintage parfum I've been having a rather tough month, which can be seen by the splurge I've had this month:

50ml of Weil Antilope EdP
    a Dior miniatures set, which includes more Miss Dior, Poison, Fahrenheit, Eau Sauvage and Dune
    7.5ml of Fidji parfum
    Fragonard Patchouli EdT
    and a backup bottle of vintage Givenchy Gentleman, picked up for a song.

I think I'd better not repeat this month too often.
    Antilope is a go-to for me. What vintage? I have what look to be 50s or 60s and a 70s. A perfect floral aldehyde with some clary sage, and the slightest bit of civet. I call the drydown "lotiony".

I just received a 5 ml decant of Amouage Journey Woman.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Florascent Kyoto Jinko in Roullier's sale, on it's way.

Quote Originally Posted by pomegranate View Post
    i bought a bottle of nahema
    How wonderful. Please give us a full report.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Yesterday I purchased a large bottle of Jo Malone French Lime Blossom as mine is getting very low. While there I also got a small bottle of JM Silk Blossom which is light and soft. That makes it perfect for hot summer days. Sometimes simple scents are the best ones on hot humid days.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Antilope is a go-to for me. What vintage? I have what look to be 50s or 60s and a 70s. A perfect floral aldehyde with some clary sage, and the slightest bit of civet. I call the drydown "lotiony".
    I think that it's a pretty modern one- it has all of the markings that I'd expect from relatively up to date packaging and the box is too sharp to be a vintage. I don't think I could afford a vintage one anyway (this being me, with no budget). It was a £11 punt, which makes it worth a try.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Today, Miss Balmain. My new fragrance exploration is going to be leather.

Well actually yesterday in the L'Artisan Parfumeur online sale.

Traversée du Bosphore
    DONNA

Okay, out wandering Debenhams and they have quite a few Lancome fragrances on sale. I bought Magie Noire, it was just too good a price to miss £37, the cheapest I can find it was 50p more. LOL
    DONNA

I bought Cartier La Panthere yesterday. I love it so much, I think it's simply the best mainstream release in years. It's a true modern take on classic chypres such as Rochas Femme and Courreges Empreinte.

Beautiful!

Xscent, what do you think of Rose de Nuit? It's one of only a few Lutens that I haven't yet tried ...

I can't remember whether I bought my ton of citrus/tart fruit samples at the end of May or beginning of June, so I won't list them here. There were so many as to be a bit embarrassing My favorites were CdG Rhubarb (and I bought a bottle of that), Profumum Acqua Viva, and Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien -- I suspect I'll prefer the EDP to the EDT, but the EDT is lovely though short-lived.

I also picked up samples of the entire line of 4160 Tuesdays. I'm working my way through them slowly, but so far my favorites are The Dark Heart of Old Havana, Time to Draw the Raffle Numbers, and The Lion Cupboard. I have yet to try Urara's Tokyo Cafe, which seems like it would be right up my olfactory alley. Sunshine and Pancakes was disappointing.

Last but by no means least, count me among those snapping up rynegne's current MadHat scents -- I bought both SantL (sucker that I am for both sandalwood and cedar) and Limed.

And now I'm becoming intrigued by the Bruno Acampora line. I'm sensing more samples next month, perhaps.

Rozy VdE .

Basenotes Plus

Serge Lutens Iris Silver MIst, 75 ml.

1201454_none_main.jpg
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Basenotes Plus

15 ml. MadHat Scents Limed- today

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Limone Verde-last week

Quote Originally Posted by Furriner View Post
    Serge Lutens Iris Silver MIst, 75 ml.

1201454_none_main.jpg
    I'm finally sampling this in the coming days, can't wait!

Rec'd my bottle of vintage Diorissimo yesterday. I think that I've found my summer scent!
    “Let the beauty we love, be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.” -Rumi

MFK Absolute Pour le Soir decant. Didn't want to pay the $200 on a blind buy.