Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Amouage Epic Man: truly reformulated?

After sampling for a few years, I finally came around to Epic Man and during this trip to London grabbed a full bottle, making it my fifth Amouage. However, already from a few wearings I'm feeling like it's different from the official sample I'd been using. It doesn't last anywhere near as long, and at the base is that distinct synthetic oud I find in most designer "oud" fragrances, something I tend to pick out quickly and don't remember ever noticing in the sample. Additionally, this fizzy "oud" seems to be in place of the rich (albeit synthetic) sandalwood I knew from the sample. All that said, for the first few hours, it's very recognizably Epic Man, so this isn't a massive change.

Still, I remember reading a thread a while ago about this one having changed. Before I go too crazy overthinking it and deciding I need to somehow track down an older bottle, can Epic fans with knowledge of older and recent bottles chime in with their observations? Akahina, for instance, I think you know this fragrance very well -- have you tried any newer bottles?

(My bottle, by the way, has the magnetic cap, which I haven't seen on my other 100ml Amouages, so I'm taking that as a sign that this is newer stock.)

Dependent

Default Re: Amouage Epic Man: truly reformulated?

Crud... I hope this isn't a detrimental reform, this has been on my Buy List for a while, and I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I hope I haven't pushed it off too long.

It's nice to know that the newer bottles come with the magnetic caps.

I bought my bottle of Epic Man last year so unfortunately I can't comment on the newer batches. I did however get fooled by how strong Epic Man truly is. I had three sprays on at work and some one smelled me about 30 feet away. This wasn't a trail but just a radius of scent from me sitting at my desk.

If your bottle is very new maybe it did not have time "mature" before being shipped to the store.

I know a lot of companies don't want to talk about reformulations but you might try emailing Amouage for an answer.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Newer bottles have the magnetic cap. I bought one as a back up from fragrancenet last year that was perfect all the way around. It did NOT have a magnetic cap.

I'm thinking if anything it's the newest batch and they may have done something.

I know for sure they screwed up Gold Man according to many BN'ers
    Last edited by aphexacid; 2nd June 2014 at 04:31 AM.

Hey, they are protecting you guys from the horrors of great fragrances - let's give them a little respect! LOL.

So write Amouage and tell them about it. Complaining here is mainly a waste of time. Everything has been reformulated, or will be soon in order to comply with further regulations that start this year.

Reformulations are becoming the norm and are to be expected...sadly. My collection is pretty full and I don't really need anything else. But if I find something really good I now buy it rather than wait. I am pretty much giving up on fragrances because of longevity issues. It seems like everything I smell at ghe counters now smells weak and unimpressive. Maybe I am spoiled, or maybe scents are becoming shadows of scents which are being described as "transparent". I am taking more interest in American independat perfumers with the assumption and general expectation that European Houses and International brands have to restrict ingredients to the point that we may as well not even buy them anymore. I can get more smell rubbing an orange rind on my neck than with a lot of scents available now.

I wore Blackbird today, a beautiful beast of a perfume. If Epic has been changed I am truly sad and a little bit mad. It may be as close to a signature scent as I will ever find. I better look for a back up bottle soon.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I have Dia Man that I purchased last year and it is a bit different from the sample I used that prompted me to purchase the full bottle.

There are three possibilities to me:
    1. Reformulation (I hope not)
    2. The naturally occurring variations from one batch to the next
    3. Amouage rushed the product out before it aged properly (the scenario I hope has happened)

It is still a beautiful scent with great sillage and longevity, just different from my sample.
    I smell marshmallows!
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

I'll certainly write Amouage to express my concerns; I'm a big fan of the house and would love to see them respond helpfully. I posted here mostly to solicit opinions from folks who know the fragrance well and may have had a chance to try the newest batches. It's possible my nose is dulled during this trip, or that the bottle needs to macerate more (that seems doubtful). But it's tough to avoid the perception that something really is different, and diminished, in this bottle.

My 2012-purchased 100ml bottle from Harrods in London is down to the last 1/3 now. I'm really loving the scent (wore it two days in a row now, which is rare for me). So I sincerely hope the rumours are not true. My bottle is the 'clip on' top; I've not heard of a magnetic top until I read it in this thread.

I'm not too bothered about oud in this scent, but it is one of the most refined incense fragrances that I have loved since the first day I tried it. One of my favourites easily, which makes this news even more heart-breaking.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Damn! I've just ordered Epic Man!
    Hope it would be from their old stuff!
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

Well if it's not, please report back and give us your thoughts!!
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

With all the new regulations from IFRA I would not be surprised if the whole range is been reformulated. So we now have another range where we have to avoid the new bottles with the magnetic caps and hunt down the pre formulated vintage. Just in case.

Basenotes Plus

I went to purchase a back-up bottle of Dia Man last week. After sampling testers at two different stores, it seems Dia Man has been reformulated.The first bottle didn't bear much resemblance with Dia so either it has been incorrectly stored or reformulated. The other did smell of Dia, however was significantly watered down.
    Last edited by mixerscent; 3rd June 2014 at 01:28 AM.
    Currently wearing: Bois des Îles by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post

I wore Blackbird today, a beautiful beast of a perfume.
    I was definitely wowed by this one. I was worried it would be like a slumber house creation, but it's amazing and wearable. It just swirls all around.

As for Epic, I love it, but was told I smelled of Indian food when wearing it. Epic is the spiciest fragrance that I have, but the dry down is so good. I don't understand why they would comply with rules that destroy fragrances that are sold to a niche market who keep tabs on this. Amouage is not Armani. Niche consumers won't buy their reforms like the general public keeps buying aqua di gio year after year.

They have to comply with the rules as I understand it, even though the rules and regulations are "voluntary". If not compliant they risk huge lawsuits from someone that might sneeze.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    They have to comply with the rules as I understand it, even though the rules and regulations are "voluntary". If not compliant they risk huge lawsuits from someone that might sneeze.
    So when do you think the mad rush for vintage will begin? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Lol.....vintage epic will be available in the basenote market place very soon.

Recently got in on a split of Epic. I'll give it a go when the weather cools a little later this week and see. Not that I'm confident I could pick a reform out of a lineup.
    That feeling when you're waiting for a split to fill.
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

Damn! If this reform-madness continue, I will soon quit this hobby :-(

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    It's nice to know that the newer bottles come with the magnetic caps.
    Awesome!! Didn't know this. Last Amouage bottle I bought was in 2013.... December I think. It did not come with a magnetic cap. This will be a huge improvement, as 99% of the time Amouage caps are so loose that they just fall off if you barely touch the bottle.

That's one small reason I really like the Chanel Les Exclusifs, Dior La Collection Privee, AdG Essenza (6oz bottle only, it seems), and similar bottles - the magnetic caps really work great.

Well, the base of my newer decant does seem to be missing some of that smooth rich sandalwood. Couldn't say whether it is because of differing performance in warmer weather or even the power of suggestion. I'll try my old sample for a comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Well, the base of my newer decant does seem to be missing some of that smooth rich sandalwood. Couldn't say whether it is because of differing performance in warmer weather or even the power of suggestion. I'll try my old sample for a comparison.
    Wore it again today, and once again I was disappointed in the performance, and noticed that the rich sandalwood base wasn't there. Mostly I got that fizzy synthetic oud note (which I don't care for). This is really disappointing, as I definitely remember the rich base (and significantly better staying power) of my sample.

Hard to say. My sample is a decant from surrender to chance rather than a carded sample. The top notes are missing, but it is much smoother and richer. While my new split is clearly an incense scent my old sawmills seems to go directly to the smooth kid and sandalwood dry down. It could be differences due to age and oxidation, but my newer split seems dryer and smokier, but also has more going on. More notes are discernible and performance is better. Much closer to the descriptions I see in reviews, but also dryer or buzzer as you describe it. I will be interested to see if my new split changes over time at all. Due to my inexperience I'm not prepared to yell reform yet, but my experience seems to match yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Damn! If this reform-madness continue, I will soon quit this hobby :-(
    You don't quite it. You purchase as you go knowing that you might not wear that fragrance again. Some people can't handle this but I have adapted...had to.

At the moment I am finishing up 3 bottles of juice then buying ***1 very nice bottle of juice at a time. More than likely it will be a parfum version of something.

I'm wondering: could some of you with older (more than a year old, say) bottles post pictures of the ingredients listed from the bottom of the box? If there's a difference from my new bottle, we may be able to identify the original formulation.

Meantime, I'm afraid I can't deal with the new bottle I have. The synthetic oud in the base lasts forever (for days on clothes) and it's a note I really dislike. I never got this from earlier samples, so something has definitely changed.

Posting an update, as today I'm once again wearing from my sample, and I can absolutely confirm that the full bottle I bought the other week is reformulated. Already here the rich sandalwood base is present, and I'm getting none of that buzzy synthetic oud that I got in the new bottle. Plus, the stuff from the sample is POTENT, even though I didn't spray all that much this morning.

What a bummer. I'm not sure whether to try buying another bottle from somewhere more likely to have old stock, or just give up. Meantime, I'd still love to see a photo of the ingredients on an older box, just in case it helps me identify the good stuff. Akahina, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Are you kidding? A day or two after this thread was made, I looked on eBay to see if I can find pictures of a used new style bottle to see if there's any visual difference. I see "Amouage epic vintage! Original formula before it was watered down!"

This kind of pissed me off as I see this a lot. People capitalizing off of a damn perfume to make a few bucks instead of just trying to help someone out.

We need to find a random cheap perfume, but like 1,000 bottles of it and then say that it was reformulated. Only we have all of the "original stock". Crazy profit.

I have the box but am away from home, and honestly don't remember if ingredients are listed. (If you say they are I believe you.) When I get back I will photograph what I have and post it.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    Posting an update, as today I'm once again wearing from my sample, and I can absolutely confirm that the full bottle I bought the other week is reformulated. Already here the rich sandalwood base is present, and I'm getting none of that buzzy synthetic oud that I got in the new bottle. Plus, the stuff from the sample is POTENT, even though I didn't spray all that much this morning.

What a bummer. I'm not sure whether to try buying another bottle from somewhere more likely to have old stock, or just give up. Meantime, I'd still love to see a photo of the ingredients on an older box, just in case it helps me identify the good stuff. Akahina, maybe?
    This is just a sad story..