Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Amouage Epic Man: truly reformulated?

After sampling for a few years, I finally came around to Epic Man and during this trip to London grabbed a full bottle, making it my fifth Amouage. However, already from a few wearings I'm feeling like it's different from the official sample I'd been using. It doesn't last anywhere near as long, and at the base is that distinct synthetic oud I find in most designer "oud" fragrances, something I tend to pick out quickly and don't remember ever noticing in the sample. Additionally, this fizzy "oud" seems to be in place of the rich (albeit synthetic) sandalwood I knew from the sample. All that said, for the first few hours, it's very recognizably Epic Man, so this isn't a massive change.

Still, I remember reading a thread a while ago about this one having changed. Before I go too crazy overthinking it and deciding I need to somehow track down an older bottle, can Epic fans with knowledge of older and recent bottles chime in with their observations? Akahina, for instance, I think you know this fragrance very well -- have you tried any newer bottles?

(My bottle, by the way, has the magnetic cap, which I haven't seen on my other 100ml Amouages, so I'm taking that as a sign that this is newer stock.)

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Amouage Epic Man: truly reformulated?

Crud... I hope this isn't a detrimental reform, this has been on my Buy List for a while, and I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I hope I haven't pushed it off too long.

It's nice to know that the newer bottles come with the magnetic caps.

I bought my bottle of Epic Man last year so unfortunately I can't comment on the newer batches. I did however get fooled by how strong Epic Man truly is. I had three sprays on at work and some one smelled me about 30 feet away. This wasn't a trail but just a radius of scent from me sitting at my desk.

If your bottle is very new maybe it did not have time "mature" before being shipped to the store.

I know a lot of companies don't want to talk about reformulations but you might try emailing Amouage for an answer.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Newer bottles have the magnetic cap. I bought one as a back up from fragrancenet last year that was perfect all the way around. It did NOT have a magnetic cap.

I'm thinking if anything it's the newest batch and they may have done something.

I know for sure they screwed up Gold Man according to many BN'ers
    Last edited by aphexacid; 2nd June 2014 at 04:31 AM.

Hey, they are protecting you guys from the horrors of great fragrances - let's give them a little respect! LOL.

So write Amouage and tell them about it. Complaining here is mainly a waste of time. Everything has been reformulated, or will be soon in order to comply with further regulations that start this year.

Reformulations are becoming the norm and are to be expected...sadly. My collection is pretty full and I don't really need anything else. But if I find something really good I now buy it rather than wait. I am pretty much giving up on fragrances because of longevity issues. It seems like everything I smell at ghe counters now smells weak and unimpressive. Maybe I am spoiled, or maybe scents are becoming shadows of scents which are being described as "transparent". I am taking more interest in American independat perfumers with the assumption and general expectation that European Houses and International brands have to restrict ingredients to the point that we may as well not even buy them anymore. I can get more smell rubbing an orange rind on my neck than with a lot of scents available now.

I wore Blackbird today, a beautiful beast of a perfume. If Epic has been changed I am truly sad and a little bit mad. It may be as close to a signature scent as I will ever find. I better look for a back up bottle soon.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I have Dia Man that I purchased last year and it is a bit different from the sample I used that prompted me to purchase the full bottle.

There are three possibilities to me:
    1. Reformulation (I hope not)
    2. The naturally occurring variations from one batch to the next
    3. Amouage rushed the product out before it aged properly (the scenario I hope has happened)

It is still a beautiful scent with great sillage and longevity, just different from my sample.
    I smell marshmallows!

I'll certainly write Amouage to express my concerns; I'm a big fan of the house and would love to see them respond helpfully. I posted here mostly to solicit opinions from folks who know the fragrance well and may have had a chance to try the newest batches. It's possible my nose is dulled during this trip, or that the bottle needs to macerate more (that seems doubtful). But it's tough to avoid the perception that something really is different, and diminished, in this bottle.

My 2012-purchased 100ml bottle from Harrods in London is down to the last 1/3 now. I'm really loving the scent (wore it two days in a row now, which is rare for me). So I sincerely hope the rumours are not true. My bottle is the 'clip on' top; I've not heard of a magnetic top until I read it in this thread.

I'm not too bothered about oud in this scent, but it is one of the most refined incense fragrances that I have loved since the first day I tried it. One of my favourites easily, which makes this news even more heart-breaking.

Damn! I've just ordered Epic Man!
    Hope it would be from their old stuff!
    My most favorite scents that I can't be without:
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Fahrenheit

Well if it's not, please report back and give us your thoughts!!

With all the new regulations from IFRA I would not be surprised if the whole range is been reformulated. So we now have another range where we have to avoid the new bottles with the magnetic caps and hunt down the pre formulated vintage. Just in case.

I went to purchase a back-up bottle of Dia Man last week. After sampling testers at two different stores, it seems Dia Man has been reformulated.The first bottle didn't bear much resemblance with Dia so either it has been incorrectly stored or reformulated. The other did smell of Dia, however was significantly watered down.
    Last edited by mixerscent; 3rd June 2014 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post

I wore Blackbird today, a beautiful beast of a perfume.
    I was definitely wowed by this one. I was worried it would be like a slumber house creation, but it's amazing and wearable. It just swirls all around.

As for Epic, I love it, but was told I smelled of Indian food when wearing it. Epic is the spiciest fragrance that I have, but the dry down is so good. I don't understand why they would comply with rules that destroy fragrances that are sold to a niche market who keep tabs on this. Amouage is not Armani. Niche consumers won't buy their reforms like the general public keeps buying aqua di gio year after year.

They have to comply with the rules as I understand it, even though the rules and regulations are "voluntary". If not compliant they risk huge lawsuits from someone that might sneeze.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

They have to comply with the rules as I understand it, even though the rules and regulations are "voluntary". If not compliant they risk huge lawsuits from someone that might sneeze.
    So when do you think the mad rush for vintage will begin? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Lol.....vintage epic will be available in the basenote market place very soon.

Recently got in on a split of Epic. I'll give it a go when the weather cools a little later this week and see. Not that I'm confident I could pick a reform out of a lineup.
    Just say no to oniomania.

Damn! If this reform-madness continue, I will soon quit this hobby :-(

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    It's nice to know that the newer bottles come with the magnetic caps.
    Awesome!! Didn't know this. Last Amouage bottle I bought was in 2013.... December I think. It did not come with a magnetic cap. This will be a huge improvement, as 99% of the time Amouage caps are so loose that they just fall off if you barely touch the bottle.

That's one small reason I really like the Chanel Les Exclusifs, Dior La Collection Privee, AdG Essenza (6oz bottle only, it seems), and similar bottles - the magnetic caps really work great.

Well, the base of my newer decant does seem to be missing some of that smooth rich sandalwood. Couldn't say whether it is because of differing performance in warmer weather or even the power of suggestion. I'll try my old sample for a comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Well, the base of my newer decant does seem to be missing some of that smooth rich sandalwood. Couldn't say whether it is because of differing performance in warmer weather or even the power of suggestion. I'll try my old sample for a comparison.
    Wore it again today, and once again I was disappointed in the performance, and noticed that the rich sandalwood base wasn't there. Mostly I got that fizzy synthetic oud note (which I don't care for). This is really disappointing, as I definitely remember the rich base (and significantly better staying power) of my sample.

Hard to say. My sample is a decant from surrender to chance rather than a carded sample. The top notes are missing, but it is much smoother and richer. While my new split is clearly an incense scent my old sawmills seems to go directly to the smooth kid and sandalwood dry down. It could be differences due to age and oxidation, but my newer split seems dryer and smokier, but also has more going on. More notes are discernible and performance is better. Much closer to the descriptions I see in reviews, but also dryer or buzzer as you describe it. I will be interested to see if my new split changes over time at all. Due to my inexperience I'm not prepared to yell reform yet, but my experience seems to match yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Damn! If this reform-madness continue, I will soon quit this hobby :-(
    You don't quite it. You purchase as you go knowing that you might not wear that fragrance again. Some people can't handle this but I have adapted...had to.

At the moment I am finishing up 3 bottles of juice then buying ***1 very nice bottle of juice at a time. More than likely it will be a parfum version of something.

I'm wondering: could some of you with older (more than a year old, say) bottles post pictures of the ingredients listed from the bottom of the box? If there's a difference from my new bottle, we may be able to identify the original formulation.

Meantime, I'm afraid I can't deal with the new bottle I have. The synthetic oud in the base lasts forever (for days on clothes) and it's a note I really dislike. I never got this from earlier samples, so something has definitely changed.

Posting an update, as today I'm once again wearing from my sample, and I can absolutely confirm that the full bottle I bought the other week is reformulated. Already here the rich sandalwood base is present, and I'm getting none of that buzzy synthetic oud that I got in the new bottle. Plus, the stuff from the sample is POTENT, even though I didn't spray all that much this morning.

What a bummer. I'm not sure whether to try buying another bottle from somewhere more likely to have old stock, or just give up. Meantime, I'd still love to see a photo of the ingredients on an older box, just in case it helps me identify the good stuff. Akahina, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Are you kidding? A day or two after this thread was made, I looked on eBay to see if I can find pictures of a used new style bottle to see if there's any visual difference. I see "Amouage epic vintage! Original formula before it was watered down!"

This kind of pissed me off as I see this a lot. People capitalizing off of a damn perfume to make a few bucks instead of just trying to help someone out.

We need to find a random cheap perfume, but like 1,000 bottles of it and then say that it was reformulated. Only we have all of the "original stock". Crazy profit.

I have the box but am away from home, and honestly don't remember if ingredients are listed. (If you say they are I believe you.) When I get back I will photograph what I have and post it.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    Posting an update, as today I'm once again wearing from my sample, and I can absolutely confirm that the full bottle I bought the other week is reformulated. Already here the rich sandalwood base is present, and I'm getting none of that buzzy synthetic oud that I got in the new bottle. Plus, the stuff from the sample is POTENT, even though I didn't spray all that much this morning.

What a bummer. I'm not sure whether to try buying another bottle from somewhere more likely to have old stock, or just give up. Meantime, I'd still love to see a photo of the ingredients on an older box, just in case it helps me identify the good stuff. Akahina, maybe?
    This is just a sad story..

I have the box but am away from home, and honestly don't remember if ingredients are listed. (If you say they are I believe you.) When I get back I will photograph what I have and post it.
    Thanks so much Akahina! My new box does indeed list ingredients (on the bottom, I believe), so I'm hoping that older ones do as well, and that there may be some telling difference. Much appreciated.

(Meantime, wow, the stuff from the sample really is going strong -- I'm almost self-conscious here at work, but it does smell good.)

... and it's offically off my to buy list. This thread confirmed what I undeniably believed, but couldn't bring myself to bear, considering it was a majestic love at first whiff.

This is the list of ingredients on my Epic. It was a printed sticker on the celophane and why I saved it is beyond me, but I did.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Thanks so much Akahina. I'll have a look at my box shortly and compare.

Well, shucks, looks like they're quite different. My bottle has the ingredients directly on the bottom of the box, and the list is MUCH shorter (I count 13 listed). Notably: no oak moss, no tree moss, no cinnamal or variants. Mine shows code 31292.

I appreciate this information.

I went from "my house" being Guerlian then to Montale then Amouage. It seems like I buy a bottle or two and the house is done with.....for someone with emotional dependency issues like myself this can be quite draining.

At this point I don't have a favorite house anymore. I've always had a favorite house !

This news is a little bit more than disturbing to me too. Amouage was my favorite house but it seems that the EUs IFRA is responsible for the raping of mondern perfumery. Epic is as close to a signature scent for me that I have found. One word. Bastards.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

This news is a little bit more than disturbing to me too. Amouage was my favorite house but it seems that the EUs IFRA is responsible for the raping of mondern perfumery. Epic is as close to a signature scent for me that I have found. One word. Bastards.
    You are now fully protected by IFRA. Perhaps one day they will volunteer to renovate out houses with rubber walls so that we don't hurt ourselves that way either. Let's all give them a big hand, and if that doesn't work out well, we can all spare at least one finger, right?

Yes, I do have an extra finger for them.

As a side note, there are so many brands and scsnts I have never had the opportunity to smell in this part of the world, so many brands I have only read about. I am now about 6 weeks away from my first and likely only trip to NYC where I had planned on searching out some of those ellusive gems. I am now reconsidering my plan to go shopping. For example I recently ordered a half dozen Mancera samples. All I have tried smell like good compositions (even those would not suit me) but longevity on every one is moderate to weak. Maybe I won't waste my time trying to find something new and amazing knowing full well that they will likely be disapointing in the end.

I'm somewhere between sad and angry. My Epic will now be rationed...sigh.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Well, shucks, looks like they're quite different. My bottle has the ingredients directly on the bottom of the box, and the list is MUCH shorter (I count 13 listed). Notably: no oak moss, no tree moss, no cinnamal or variants. Mine shows code 31292.
    It would be wonderful if you could post a legible image of the ingredient list on the new Epic you bought.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

You don't need to come to NYC to shop. To sample YES.

I live in NYC but buy most of my juices on Luckyscent.com to save on taxes.

If you come to NYC stop by :

The Dior Boutique
    MIN NY
    Bergdoff Goodman
    Osswalds
    Saks

I still buy online !

Have you considered sticking to Parfum and Extrait versions ? That's what I am doing. It might cost more but at least I will have one bottle of very good juice.

Focus on quality.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    You don't need to come to NYC to shop. To sample YES.

I live in NYC but buy most of my juices on Luckyscent.com to save on taxes.

If you come to NYC stop by :

The Dior Boutique
    MIN NY
    Bergdoff Goodman
    Osswalds
    Saks

I still buy online !

Have you considered sticking to Parfum and Extrait versions ? That's what I am doing. It might cost more but at least I will have one bottle of very good juice.

Focus on quality.
    I don't expect to buy (with the ridiculous sales tax...Oregon has none!) in NYC. Maybe buy something and have it shipped to avoid the tax, or order by phone and avoid the tax. But sniffing out new things not available anywhere else in the US was a goal. And yes, those places you mentioned are on my list and mapped out. . I just wonder if it is worth my time. This reformulation nightmare has me more scared to spend my money than some peoples fears of getting a bad Creed batch or a fake Chanel.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

It would be wonderful if you could post a legible image of the ingredient list on the new Epic you bought.
    EpicManNew.jpg

Wow...
    Interesting that after alcohol the second ingredient is "parfum". Not only are a lot of ingredients not listed, "parfum" tells us nothing whatsoever. Hiding something Amouage? Either from the consumer or from the IFRA? First all their attars are pulled and now reformulations and truncated ingredient lists. I am becoming skeptical about Amouage. Maybe when their new website comes online there will be more answers but I fear there will be more silence. Amouage is known for incense and smoke but perhaps in the future it will be smoke and mirrors...

Thanks for the photo!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

This is really sad news. I would think this reformulation/watering down thing was a phenomena just for the designer houses.
    If Epic didn't suffer of something was projection and longevity, a true nuclear bomb.

I bought my bottle late 2011. How good was the projection/longevity? It was so strong that I had to stop spraying. Transferred to a 1 dram squeeze-bulb dropper vial. I put 3 drops to my neck, enough for the work day. Cold/rainy days I would bump it up to 5 drops.

Do any dealers still have inventory of the old stock? Please tell if you find some!

Well, this is certainly disappointing. I was going to buy Epic and Jubilation XXV in the near future, but I think I will pass now, as I'm not willing to pay premium prices for reformulated/watered down scents. Now I'm kicking myself for not buying these last year. Boo to me!

This is why I always say, if you like something buy it! If you think too long you may never see it again. Especially in the perfume world.

I think this is a great time for people to use/enjoy what they already have in their closet. In the meantime put the money away for future purchases. Once the smoke settles you can make a wiser decision on what to purchase.

I've got 1 1/2 years before I REALLY need to buy anything again.

I'd like to see what happens to the Extraits and Parfum versions. If those start showing up at inflated costs with shoddy performance I might just leave the game or find an AXE spray that I can handle.

I use to own a bottle of this and loved it. However, it generally makes me feel ill now. No denying it was a beast, but when I revisit it with my sample, I can't pull it off. I start feel nauseated and have general malaise. Strange.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Happy news: I tracked down a new bottle from a retailer which has an ingredients label which matches the one Akahina posted above, so all signs point to it being the original version. I ordered the bottle and it needs to be shipped to me, but I'm already feeling very hopeful. I'll update when it arrives and I have a chance to test it and confirm it's the good stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the newest bottle smells BAD, but it's a different dry down, and I personally can't deal with that buzzing, never-ending synthetic oud note.

I also sent a note to Amouage about my experience with the new bottle. Not sure what to expect in response, but we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    I think this is a great time for people to use/enjoy what they already have in their closet. In the meantime put the money away for future purchases. Once the smoke settles you can make a wiser decision on what to purchase...
    I agree to some extent but if someone puts off buying something that's selling for a couple hundred now and then decides to buy a bottle in a few years and it's $2000, that person had better be ready to deal with that level of disappointment !

Wow...
    Interesting that after alcohol the second ingredient is "parfum". Not only are a lot of ingredients not listed, "parfum" tells us nothing whatsoever. Hiding something Amouage? Either from the consumer or from the IFRA? First all their attars are pulled and now reformulations and truncated ingredient lists. I am becoming skeptical about Amouage. Maybe when their new website comes online there will be more answers but I fear there will be more silence. Amouage is known for incense and smoke but perhaps in the future it will be smoke and mirrors...

Thanks for the photo!
    Most frgarances list the alcohol and 'parfum' first. No company will print out out it's formula - that's what is in the 'parfum'.

The notes you see listed are the ones that are required to be listed by EU/IFRA.

There is no conspiracy theory thing happening here with Amouage or anyone else
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Most frgarances list the alcohol and 'parfum' first. No company will print out out it's formula - that's what is in the 'parfum'.......
    Thanks Mr R.

Just adding that most fragrances also contain more than 200 ingredients. I'm always bewildered when people think what's listed on the box or in the notes pyramid is the full amount of ingredients. There are far more ingredients than what's listed in the pyramid you see at the top of the page for each fragrance. Much of what is seen in the pyramid is often a complete fantasy created by the perfume house.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Most frgarances list the alcohol and 'parfum' first. No company will print out out it's formula - that's what is in the 'parfum'.

The notes you see listed are the ones that are required to be listed by EU/IFRA.

There is no conspiracy theory thing happening here with Amouage or anyone else
    Quite true. Though interesting, isn't it, that that newest bottle lists far fewer ingredients than the original formulation. Were most of those previously listed ingredients used in the base, which has definitely changed in reformulation? Or perhaps the IFRA requires fewer be listed now? I find that less likely...

Basenotes Plus

Yup, what mr.reasonable just said. I've always seen the "alcohol, parfum, other ingredients" listed on *all* fragrances, at least the ones sold here in the US and in France. Just to make sure I wasn't dreaming, though, I picked up some random 20 bottles and indeed, every single one has the exact same order of ingredients at the top.

I don't know if Epic Man has or has not been reformulated, there may be some other conspiracy theory going on, but the bottle I bought in 2013 is absolutely fantastic, projects like a beast, and lasts all day (and then some). Very happy with it. Considering its concentration, it will last me a lifetime.

Quite true. Though interesting, isn't it, that that newest bottle lists far fewer ingredients than the original formulation. Were most of those previously listed ingredients used in the base, which has definitely changed in reformulation? Or perhaps the IFRA requires fewer be listed now? I find that less likely...
    I imagine if it ain't written there, then it ain't in there . . . and the moss side of things was never a key feature of how Epic Man functioned, as I recall. Who knows?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

True enough on the moss, but if you compare Akahina's photo, above, of the original ingredients list with the one I posted from my new bottle, it's a pretty dramatic change. Look at all those cinnamal variations which are suddenly gone, for instance. This would track with what I've noticed as the difference between the original and this new version; the base isn't the same rich sandalwood effect at all, but just a buzzing synthetic "oud." The opening and heart are very similar, though the new version doesn't last as long nor project as strongly. No conspiracy here; Epic Man has changed.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Awesome!! Didn't know this. Last Amouage bottle I bought was in 2013.... December I think. It did not come with a magnetic cap. This will be a huge improvement, as 99% of the time Amouage caps are so loose that they just fall off if you barely touch the bottle.

That's one small reason I really like the Chanel Les Exclusifs, Dior La Collection Privee, AdG Essenza (6oz bottle only, it seems), and similar bottles - the magnetic caps really work great.

Magnetic caps for BOTH 50 and 100 ml bottles now - or just 100?

I bought a tester of Epic Man. It came in a somewhat flimsy white generic Amouage box, with "Epic Man" printed on the top. As you can see, the back of the box lists simple ingredients. But that may not be indicative of what is imprinted on the retail box.

Mine came from FragranceNet in late 2013. It has the annoying friction fit cap (although I did find a technique to help secure the cap) and it smells great. I did hear that the newer bottles have magnetic caps. FragranceNet is currently out of stock, so... that does provoke the question--will the new inventory be the new bottles with allegedly reformulated contents?