Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Re: Amouage Epic Man: truly reformulated?

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I'd guess that olfactory fatigue is a real factor with at least the original formulation, as I've had people comment on the smell (positively) hours after I've put it on. The other day I used maybe three sprays from the small official sample sprayer before going to work, which should be about the equivalent to one and a half sprays from the normal bottle. Several hours in, a coworker walked to our general area and said "whoa, who's got the cologne on?" I was worried that I'd bothered him, but turns out he liked it he had just noticed. I was impressed, as I wear stuff every day but it's rare anyone says anything.

My test spray on my forearm from my original formulation bottle lasted, as far as clinging base notes, well into the next day, despite a shower.

I'm sure we'll soon have more people able to report on the differences between the most-recent version and the original. I should probably do a side-by-side spray while I have both bottles, but to be honest that "oud" note at the end of the new one bothers me so much I'd rather not release it into my world again. (That's a personal preference, though; I could see plenty of folks liking the note.)
    On a couple of occasions, I sprayed on Epic Man prior to going to bed. In the morning I could only pick up the most faint impression of it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't olfactory fatigue as I sprayed it on another area not long after and it was evident that I could smell it there and hardly where I'd sprayed it on previously. I do not get any kind of noticeably synthetic oud at the end of the dry down. I have seen some people complain about original Epic Man being synthetic. So, there must be some personal variations in our perceptions of it. Who knows, maybe there is something slightly different that is setting you off that others might not readily notice. If it's a little weaker but still dries down the same for me, then I won't feel so badly about it. The magnetic cap would be nice as the friction fit is the lousiest metal cap I've seen.

Regarding the cap, what I do is position it 90 degrees off the orientation (so it's like a + when looking above), then press down while rotating it 90 degrees. It stays in place OK without easily popping off. But still, due to the bottle weight, there's no way you can lift it up by the top. Most fragrances I have can be held by the cap without it releasing the bottle.
    Currently wearing: By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

I only get the annoying synthetic oud in the new version (with the short ingredients list and magnetic cap); I'm assuming that isn't the version you were spraying. The earlier version has a very nice, round dry down.

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    On a couple of occasions, I sprayed on Epic Man prior to going to bed. In the morning I could only pick up the most faint impression of it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't olfactory fatigue as I sprayed it on another area not long after and it was evident that I could smell it there and hardly where I'd sprayed it on previously. ....
    I'm always hesitant to use bedtime wearings as an accurate gauge of a perfume's performance. I think the friction of duvet, blanket, body parts etc...impacts the life of the fragrance. During the day/out of bed I don't have that level of contact so prefer to use that to make my mind up. If a fragrance is still present to a significantly noticeable degree after a bedtime wear it usually means it will do exceptionally well at other times for me.
    What I'd like to try
    Prices Rreduced!UK Only:Kilian Incense Oud, Pure Oud/Ensar Oud/Tom Ford

My UK Swapsies!

Need 2 Roja caps if anyone can help. Muchas gracias

Current favourites:
    Frederic Malle The Night
    Creed Spice and Wood
    Creed Pure White Cologne
    Kilian Extreme Oud
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    Roja Dove UAE
    Roja Dove Fetish Pour Homme/Puredistance M
    Armani Prive Oud Royal
    Ormonde Jayne Black Gold

I just picked up a back up bottle from Fragrancenet...I hope and assume it is the older non-magnetic cap version. Fingers crossed.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I just picked up a back up bottle from Fragrancenet...I hope and assume it is the older non-magnetic cap version. Fingers crossed.
    I take it you bought it from their eBay auction, and not the website? The website still shows as not in stock, but coming soon.

One bottle came into stock this morning and I grabbed it fast!
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Well, I'm at a bit of a loss... how can someone say that Epic Man has nuclear projection and requires only a 1/2 spray to fill a room? I put on 5 short sprays--2 to the neck, one to the chest, and 2 more to my sides. I've never had a complaint. It's a bit strong at first but then dries down nicely. My bottle is from 2013 with the friction fit cap, so it can't be the latest.

It is fairly strong for me at first but after an hour the drydown for me has average projection and longevity is very good for me. I use about 3 sprays usually. May be my fqvorite scent...
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion

Well, I'm at a bit of a loss... how can someone say that Epic Man has nuclear projection and requires only a 1/2 spray to fill a room? I put on 5 short sprays--2 to the neck, one to the chest, and 2 more to my sides. I've never had a complaint. It's a bit strong at first but then dries down nicely. My bottle is from 2013 with the friction fit cap, so it can't be the latest.
    Very strange. I tried Epic from my old (original) Amouage sample couple of days ago, and some of it hit my shirt. I could still smell it faintly on my shirt after I've washed it in my machine!

See this is really difficult to gauge here. This is why we need someone who has had a bottle from years ago to say whether or not its bee watered down. Because someones perception of strength can be vastly different than the next guy.

I have an old bottle, and 2 full sprays are tops. Any more and you're asking for trouble. its literally beaming off of my skin for hours and hours.

Well, I'm at a bit of a loss... how can someone say that Epic Man has nuclear projection and requires only a 1/2 spray to fill a room?
    Comments like that used to drive me nuts but you get used to them after a while. Sometimes I chalk it up to age. If you weren't around during the 70's or 80's then you might not know how strong a fragrance can be. Otherwise If something lasts 3 hours these days it's got average longevity to some people. I wouldn't consider 3 hours to be reasonable at all.

Different Times.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    I wouldn't consider 3 hours to be reasonable at all.
    Same here. At least 8 hours would be ideal for me. Something that'd last me through the work day.

I bought a bottle of Epic Man right after it was released and I've never found it all that strong. I have never understood those comments about how strong it supposedly is.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I bought a bottle of Epic Man right after it was released and I've never found it all that strong. I have never understood those comments about how strong it supposedly is.
    Same here , bought it close to release date: it is strong for the 1st hour , then becomes soft , close to skin and after 6 hours hard to smell without bringing nose to skin.

I love it ! A beast suddenly turns into a mouse

I wish I had you guys around when I purchased the other "nuclear" duds I've owned.

I think it's plenty strong, as evidenced by friends and coworkers noticing it many hours after I've put it on -- and noticing it from several feet away. Strong fragrances more easily induce olfactory fatigue. I'd guess that's what's happening for folks who find the original version to be short-lived.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I suspect what will happen is that we will come to associate perfume with synthetic chemicals, with complete industrial artifice, and that's just what "fine fragrance" will mean. But maybe that's too cynical.
    It's not cynical - that is the future.

Think of how many times a fragrance ignoramus has moaned about someone wearing (or using) a natural essential oil, only to later praise the latest highly-synthetic celebrity fragrance.

True fragrance lovers are at a grave disadvantage, because there's no 'safety in numbers' card to play - the masses will blindly consume what is dished out to them, like a bunch of gluttonous pigs. The fragrance industry knows this only too well and are going to milk the situation for every cent they can.

As I've said time and time again, always buy back-ups at the soonest opportunity. Also, stop believing that fragrance houses are always going to serve your best interests. Stop being so damn naive!

Maybe there are....

wait for it....

batch variations.

Thanks for your thoughts here. I could not say it better or agree more. Buy back ups now or regret it later. Perfumery is going down hill quickly now it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post

Think of how many times a fragrance ignoramus has moaned about someone wearing (or using) a natural essential oil, only to later praise the latest highly-synthetic celebrity fragrance.

True fragrance lovers are at a grave disadvantage, because there's no 'safety in numbers' card to play - the masses will blindly consume what is dished out to them, like a bunch of gluttonous pigs. The fragrance industry knows this only too well and are going to milk the situation for every cent they can.

As I've said time and time again, always buy back-ups at the soonest opportunity. Also, stop believing that fragrance houses are always going to serve your best interests. Stop being so damn naive!
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post

It's true, that those who really appreciate the artistry of perfumes, who have taken this up as a hobby to indulge and explore, will find themselves in a painful minority. From what I've seen in my life experiences, most people I encounter are either fragrance averse, or simply "buy what is popular". Many have a few to perhaps half a dozen fragrances accumulated as gifts or bought upon impulse (saw that seductive Calvin Klein commercial and just had to have it). I'll bet many buy according to the brand name or popularity. "I see this advertised so much, so it MUST be good." The large perfume houses are money makers. That comes first. If the masses can be swayed into cheaper and simplistic fragrances, so be it. Only a few people in those companies really care about the art... and will push for exclusive lines that are more worthwhile. But with everyone bowing down to the IFRA/EU with nary a hiccup, they're letting the whole industry go to waste. YES, there's nothing wrong with MASS APPEAL, and mindless consumers, but don't forget those who are into the art of it. It is these people who promote it on-line and contribute to the mind share. If they all lose interest and turn to vintage or super small niche, then... the mainstream perfume industry will be come an aromachemical wasteland. Frederic Malle seems to think it's already too late.

I haven't smelled the first formulations, so it may not be fair to comment here. All I know is that I bought the Amouage sample set a while ago, and was not impressed at all. Reflection Man is nice, the masculine Jubilation too. But all of them smelled very thin to me, they had no substance. It's hard for me to believe that these perfumes are considered works of art or masterpieces.

One bottle came into stock this morning and I grabbed it fast!
    Well damn! The one bottle listed was a mistake. Order was cancelled...sigh.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    I haven't smelled the first formulations, so it may not be fair to comment here. All I know is that I bought the Amouage sample set a while ago, and was not impressed at all. Reflection Man is nice, the masculine Jubilation too. But all of them smelled very thin to me, they had no substance. It's hard for me to believe that these perfumes are considered works of art or masterpieces.
    Hmm.. In my opinion, Reflection is the worst from this company.. You call Amouage scents for thin? Joke, right?

gotta back it up!
    sailing the Oceans of Boredom...
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    gotta back it up!

Wish I'd backed up the 'Woman' one
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Well damn! The one bottle listed was a mistake. Order was cancelled...sigh.
    That's peculiar. I wonder if someone beat you to it but the system didn't update soon enough to avoid processing an additional order. I'm guessing that once they're back in stock, they'll all have the magnetic caps.
    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Wish I'd backed up the 'Woman' one
    Has anyone reported seeing a change with Epic Woman as well?

I wonder if the 50ml bottles also have the magnetic cap now?

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    gotta back it up!
    with three bottles of vintage I'm set for the rest of me life, now!
    sailing the Oceans of Boredom...
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

I think I'm still going to roll the dice on a couple of these when they come back in stock at the discounters. I really hope at least Jubilation XXV is still in good shape, since that is the one I'm most keen on. Epic and Memoir I may still buy, but am less invested in.