Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Amouage Epic Man: truly reformulated?

I'd agree that it smelled like a reformulation when it was released. Epic Man is a poor example of the great 80's fragrances. Sort of an oud, castoreum, incense in homeopathic doses, "...the olfactory experience of a Dubai hotel soap wrapped with spices and aromatics on top....." Hell every time I smell it I'm reminded of the god awful disinfectant radiance of Bleu de Chanel. Bad as it is, I'd rather own the Chanel.

Unlikely that it's been heavily reformulated. You can bet it will be, as many of the Amouages have been. Oakmoss would only be one of many ingredients that are altered.
    Last edited by pluran; 19th June 2014 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    "...the olfactory experience of a Dubai hotel soap wrapped with spices and aromatics on top....."
    Very Funny. As well as spot on.

My mother used to have those soaps in the guest bathroom. Some of the good ones have serious lasting power as a fragrance.

I wish these companies knew how disappointed many people are when they first spray on a bottle they paid retail for and realize it's not the same scent (and in my experiences, not even a wearable one in most cases). Would that make any difference to them?
    Last edited by Bigsly; 19th June 2014 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I wish these companies knew how disappointed many people are when they first spray on a bottle they paid retail for and realize it's not the same scent (and in my experiences, not even a wearable one in most cases). Would that make any different to them?
    I would think that smaller niche fragrance companies would care, but the larger ones would not. They make their decisions on larger scales and would rather lose a few customers instead of losing money from discontinuing a fragrance or increasing overhead to keep it as close to the original as possible.

Will you say that the new Epic man now is a "weak" fragrance with low sillage and longevity?

Nope, I would in no sense call the new Epic Man weak. It's only "toned down" in comparison to the original formulation, but let's keep in mind that the original is rather a beast. The opening really doesn't smell much different than before, if at all, but it does seem to get quieter sooner (within a few hours), and beyond the opening I notice some richness is missing. After four hours or so, the base of the new one reveals itself, and it's the thin, buzzing, synthetic oud that we all know from countless "oud" compositions out there, rather than the rich (however synthetic) sandalwood from the original version.

The truth is, there's nothing out-and-out wrong with the newest version. In fact, for those who appreciate that particular "oud" note, this would be a winner. But there's no doubt to me that it's changed, made leaner, with a different destination to its journey.

My second-try bottle, with a long ingredients label to match Akahina's photo earlier in this thread, arrived today. I'm very much hoping it's indeed the older version. I'll test soon and report.

I just bought a BNIB 100ml bottle of new Epic Man, and boy it IS definitely different from the old stuff!
    It sure has weaker projection, sillage and longevity.
    All in all I don't find this one FBW and am going to return it tomorrow!!! Maybe pick some Montales instead....
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

I'd like to know if the Opus Collection has now switched to magnetic caps ? That way I know what to ask for before I order.

This is all extremely painful. After years of trying this and that I was ready to be an Amouage Guy for life.

Quote Originally Posted by nfn1983 View Post
    All in all I don't find this one FBW and am going to return it tomorrow!!! .
    I am dying to hear how this turns out. Do report back to us afterwards.

Okay -- I can happily report that the second bottle I bought, which has the larger list of ingredients, in indeed the old delicious formula with the great smooth base and none of that thin buzzing wood thing at the end. Strong stuff, too.

I'd say that if you're wanting the original stuff, look for a box with a long list of ingredients on a sticker on the bottom. You should see oak moss and tree moss right at the end of that list. The new, reformulated version doesn't list either of them (nor a whole bunch of things the original does, including coumarin), and it's a much shorter list. See Akahina's photo and my photo earlier in this thread for pictures of both.

I wouldn't say Amouage has destroyed this fragrance. This isn't that kind of dramatic reformulation. But they did hobble the dry down and remove some of the richness (not to mention the crazy projection). Those who never knew the original won't necessarily find fault in the newest version; but they also won't know what they're missing, either.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    I'd like to know if the Opus Collection has now switched to magnetic caps ? That way I know what to ask for before I order.

This is all extremely painful. After years of trying this and that I was ready to be an Amouage Guy for life.
    I doubt the Opus series will get magnetic caps as they stay on pretty securely. I think the men's caps had a design flaw because the women's caps stay on without a problem.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

As I read this and other threads about reformulations, I find myself just shaking my head. These reformulations are ruining a great tradition of perfumery and yes, I find that somewhat depressing. My purchasses have dwindled to a trickle and I find myself being underwhelmed by every new release and with old favorites having their...well, becoming eunuchs. Now I will likely search out a pre reformulated bottle of Epic since it is a huge favorite of mine. I was looking forward to my upcoming trip to NYC and shopping for a new scent from one or those niche houses I have only read about and not sampled due to living so far from the major cities where these things can be found. I will probably still look but I am begining to wonder, is it worth my time? It may be time to seek a new hobby...sigh.

End of rant.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    Nope, I would in no sense call the new Epic Man weak. It's only "toned down" in comparison to the original formulation, but let's keep in mind that the original is rather a beast. The opening really doesn't smell much different than before, if at all, but it does seem to get quieter sooner (within a few hours), and beyond the opening I notice some richness is missing. After four hours or so, the base of the new one reveals itself, and it's the thin, buzzing, synthetic oud that we all know from countless "oud" compositions out there, rather than the rich (however synthetic) sandalwood from the original version.

The truth is, there's nothing out-and-out wrong with the newest version. In fact, for those who appreciate that particular "oud" note, this would be a winner. But there's no doubt to me that it's changed, made leaner, with a different destination to its journey.

My second-try bottle, with a long ingredients label to match Akahina's photo earlier in this thread, arrived today. I'm very much hoping it's indeed the older version. I'll test soon and report.
    Hmm.. Maby this could be a luck for me.I love Epic, but I have always felt that the "original" formulation was too strong and loud. A 1/2 spray under the shirt, was nearly too much. It was nuclear power, so if they have toned Epic a bit down it's fine with me.

Epic is no longer epic.
    What I'd like to try

Prices Rreduced!UK Only:Kilian B2B, Incense Oud, Pure Oud/MFK Pluriel/Ensar Oud/AgarAura Oud

My UK Swapsies!

Need some Roja help: Need a Roja cap, any one (gave away my Fetish cap)
    Also my Harrods Oud bottle needs a cap
    Muchas gracias

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    As I read this and other threads about reformulations, I find myself just shaking my head. These reformulations are ruining a great tradition of perfumery and yes, I find that somewhat depressing. My purchasses have dwindled to a trickle and I find myself being underwhelmed by every new release and with old favorites having their...well, becoming eunuchs. Now I will likely search out a pre reformulated bottle of Epic since it is a huge favorite of mine. I was looking forward to my upcoming trip to NYC and shopping for a new scent from one or those niche houses I have only read about and not sampled due to living so far from the major cities where these things can be found. I will probably still look but I am begining to wonder, is it worth my time? It may be time to seek a new hobby...sigh.

End of rant.
    In reaction to IFRA/EU proposed restrictions for the next round, a number of perfume industry people have spoken up. The much respected Frederic Malle declared that the artistry of perfume will be destroyed if the current proposal is put into policy. However, a number of houses accepted the news as "business as usual" and went about their merry way with creating more synthetics.

One can own only so many fragrances, without making special accommodation for the hobby (as some who have "perfume cellars" or temperature controlled storage units for their enormous cache). When you hit that 100 bottle threshold, is the impetus to buy more still there? Or do you actively sell off fragrances of lesser interest in favor of new ones that have greater intrigue? I suspect that many people like us who have appreciated fragrances of the past decade and earlier will stay focused on vintage and leave new buys to the uninitiated who lack any comparisons to earlier formulations.

My bottle of Epic Man was purchased in late 2013 and is of the older cap design. It starts out very strong but abates in due time to a wonderful oud based aroma that probably lasts about 10~12 hours on me (becomes a skin scent after the first 4~5 hours). I would not want it weakened, but I suppose I could tolerate a 10~20% drop... as long as it smells identical. I realize that Epic Man has many synthetic components, including the oud. One BN member said this back in 2011: "Epic Man has this really annoying, super synthetic note that goes on forever and ever... once the soapiness disappears it's just this annoying aroma-chemical for hours. I've really given up on it entirely.". But I don't find it that harsh at all. Yes, i can tell it is synthetic, but not overbearingly so. If the new one is more noticeably synthetic, I will not be buying a bottle.

In the orginal formula, the base seems to have a lot of the same synthetic sandalwood that shows up in the base of Wonderwood, though obviously there's more going on (the castoreum and spices linger as well). In the reform there's instead one of the common synthetic ouds (or at least a synthetic woody note used in tons of "oud" fragrances), which is thinner and dryer than the sandalwood effect.

End of rant.
    I'm in the same boat. I sample frequently, but buy only rarely these days. The ONLY thing that gives me hope is the possibility that advances in chemistry and bioengineering will outstrip the pace of further IFRA regulations. For instance, I believe I read that companies are trying to develop an oakmoss that strips out the allergenic components, leaving the fragrant ones intact. It's stuff like this that gives me some small hope that eventually companies can start producing robust yet compliant perfumes in the future.

Still, that day seems a ways off still. Having had the chance to do side by side comparisons of formulations of specific scents with and without oakmoss, I know that taking out stuff like that makes a discernible difference. I won't purchase anything that has had oakmoss, or any other significant component, removed during a reformulation, as seems to be the case with Epic.

I feel like there are only two scents left on my "to buy" list that I want to get before they are destroyed, and then it's basically just playing the waiting game to see how future releases pan out.

I only have three on my want list and of those three will only buy one, that is if any of them are suitable for me. Looking for a good rose and so far I have struck out. (Rose Poivree, Une Rose or Calligraphy Rose if interested.)
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I sample frequently, but buy only rarely these days. The ONLY thing that gives me hope is the possibility that advances in chemistry and bioengineering will outstrip the pace of further IFRA regulations. For instance, I believe I read that companies are trying to develop an oakmoss that strips out the allergenic components, leaving the fragrant ones intact. It's stuff like this that gives me some small hope that eventually companies can start producing robust yet compliant perfumes in the future.

Still, that day seems a ways off still. Having had the chance to do side by side comparisons of formulations of specific scents with and without oakmoss, I know that taking out stuff like that makes a discernible difference. I won't purchase anything that has had oakmoss, or any other significant component, removed during a reformulation, as seems to be the case with Epic.
    What I believe will eventually happen is that chemists will be able to mimic a variety of desirable fragrance notes with synthetic substitutes that are very difficult to discern as synthetic without smelling the original organic compounds. Yet, the real turning point will be the next generation of the buying public that never has the chance to smell the original natural essential oils. They won't have any basis of comparison. Thus, "you can't miss what you've never smelled."

Creating an aromachemical that captures a single note will inevitably miss some of the complexity, the natural variations. It can come close and perhaps fool a good percentage of the population, but anyone with a discerning sense of smell will know the difference. What is sandalwood or oud without the context, the point of origin and the environmental conditions it experienced prior to harvesting?

I started out having bought several sandalwood based fragrances only to discover later that they contain synthetic sandalwood. I wouldn't have known the difference until having sampled the real thing. Of course, the variations of formulation introduce "olfactory noise" that makes it difficult to single out the sandalwood note precisely, but in some cases I could tell. Did Davidoff Zino contain real sandalwood in 1988? I would think so. I have both the original and last formulation... the difference is apparent to me. The newer one is not as smooth and refined, plus it feels like it has less body. I'm pretty sure the sandalwood in that one is synthetic.

Keep in mind, too, that most of us have a sense of what is "natural" smelling because we've smelled all sorts of natural things: foods, plants, flowers, herbs, spices, etc. That's not going to change. I agree that certain materials, like real sandalwood or real oud, are these days unlikely to be smelled by most people, so most won't know the difference. But we're all human beings with noses, and it's not that difficult to tell the difference in overall effect between something natural and something completely synthetic (leaving aside, of course, synthetics derived from natural essences, of which there are many).

I suspect what will happen is that we will come to associate perfume with synthetic chemicals, with complete industrial artifice, and that's just what "fine fragrance" will mean. But maybe that's too cynical.

Speaking of the cynical take, if the real reason for the IFRA is not to reduce allergens, but instead to force producers to use more and more (profitable) "captive" molecules, surely something like oak moss without the irritating element would not fly? Unless that engineered oak moss is trademarked, in which case, I'm sure it will be deemed very happily "safe," with happy margins rolling in.

(As an aside, I've indeed seen a few compositions where brand-new bottles now list zero oak or tree moss at all, changed even from the tiny amount they were allowed a year ago. Even Bleu de Chanel uses some oak moss -- so look for THAT reformulation drama to play out soon. Meantime, I don't think Epic Man relied much on its moss, but rather look at all the OTHER ingredients no longer listed on the newest label -- coumarin, various cinnamals, etc. That's concerning.)

Is this "reformulation" of Epic really THAT bad, or is it a bit of hysteria? If they have toned down Epic a bit, I'm actually happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Is this "reformulation" of Epic really THAT bad, or is it a bit of hysteria? If they have toned down Epic a bit, I'm actually happy!
    See several of my posts above. Basically, it's not THAT bad, but it is noticeable, especially in the dry down.

My hope is that it would only be slightly weakened and not altered to the point of feeling more synthetic than it already is (which I find only marginally so). I suppose worse comes to worst, you could buy the latest and then layer. A spray or two of the new followed by one or two of the original... which would extend the original for a very, VERY long time.

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    My hope is that it would only be slightly weakened and not altered to the point of feeling more synthetic than it already is (which I find only marginally so). I suppose worse comes to worst, you could buy the latest and then layer. A spray or two of the new followed by one or two of the original... which would extend the original for a very, VERY long time.
    "One or two of the original" I can only use a 1/2 spray, and it will still fill a whole room! This monster has nuclear power sillage.

The issue seems to be that it is missing that smooth sandalwoody base which was what really made the scent for me.
    Signature Scent

I never thought Epic was a beast in the old formulation. As a matter of fact I didn't buy it for that reason. The opening was amazing but then it quiets down into a mellow exotic soap scent like pluran mentioned above.

One day I put too much on from my sample and I noticed that it was projecting more than normal but again it was very soft after the first hour.
    Last edited by thatmakesscents; 21st June 2014 at 05:42 PM.

I'd guess that olfactory fatigue is a real factor with at least the original formulation, as I've had people comment on the smell (positively) hours after I've put it on. The other day I used maybe three sprays from the small official sample sprayer before going to work, which should be about the equivalent to one and a half sprays from the normal bottle. Several hours in, a coworker walked to our general area and said "whoa, who's got the cologne on?" I was worried that I'd bothered him, but turns out he liked it he had just noticed. I was impressed, as I wear stuff every day but it's rare anyone says anything.

My test spray on my forearm from my original formulation bottle lasted, as far as clinging base notes, well into the next day, despite a shower.

I'm sure we'll soon have more people able to report on the differences between the most-recent version and the original. I should probably do a side-by-side spray while I have both bottles, but to be honest that "oud" note at the end of the new one bothers me so much I'd rather not release it into my world again. (That's a personal preference, though; I could see plenty of folks liking the note.)

Yes, it will be very intresting to hear several oppinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    "One or two of the original" I can only use a 1/2 spray, and it will still fill a whole room! This monster has nuclear power sillage.
    Epic Man was released in 2009. Was there any reformulation prior to 2014?

I don't think so.

I'd guess that olfactory fatigue is a real factor with at least the original formulation, as I've had people comment on the smell (positively) hours after I've put it on. The other day I used maybe three sprays from the small official sample sprayer before going to work, which should be about the equivalent to one and a half sprays from the normal bottle. Several hours in, a coworker walked to our general area and said "whoa, who's got the cologne on?" I was worried that I'd bothered him, but turns out he liked it he had just noticed. I was impressed, as I wear stuff every day but it's rare anyone says anything.

My test spray on my forearm from my original formulation bottle lasted, as far as clinging base notes, well into the next day, despite a shower.

I'm sure we'll soon have more people able to report on the differences between the most-recent version and the original. I should probably do a side-by-side spray while I have both bottles, but to be honest that "oud" note at the end of the new one bothers me so much I'd rather not release it into my world again. (That's a personal preference, though; I could see plenty of folks liking the note.)
    On a couple of occasions, I sprayed on Epic Man prior to going to bed. In the morning I could only pick up the most faint impression of it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't olfactory fatigue as I sprayed it on another area not long after and it was evident that I could smell it there and hardly where I'd sprayed it on previously. I do not get any kind of noticeably synthetic oud at the end of the dry down. I have seen some people complain about original Epic Man being synthetic. So, there must be some personal variations in our perceptions of it. Who knows, maybe there is something slightly different that is setting you off that others might not readily notice. If it's a little weaker but still dries down the same for me, then I won't feel so badly about it. The magnetic cap would be nice as the friction fit is the lousiest metal cap I've seen.

Regarding the cap, what I do is position it 90 degrees off the orientation (so it's like a + when looking above), then press down while rotating it 90 degrees. It stays in place OK without easily popping off. But still, due to the bottle weight, there's no way you can lift it up by the top. Most fragrances I have can be held by the cap without it releasing the bottle.

I only get the annoying synthetic oud in the new version (with the short ingredients list and magnetic cap); I'm assuming that isn't the version you were spraying. The earlier version has a very nice, round dry down.

On a couple of occasions, I sprayed on Epic Man prior to going to bed. In the morning I could only pick up the most faint impression of it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't olfactory fatigue as I sprayed it on another area not long after and it was evident that I could smell it there and hardly where I'd sprayed it on previously. ....
    I'm always hesitant to use bedtime wearings as an accurate gauge of a perfume's performance. I think the friction of duvet, blanket, body parts etc...impacts the life of the fragrance. During the day/out of bed I don't have that level of contact so prefer to use that to make my mind up. If a fragrance is still present to a significantly noticeable degree after a bedtime wear it usually means it will do exceptionally well at other times for me.
    What I'd like to try

Prices Rreduced!UK Only:Kilian B2B, Incense Oud, Pure Oud/MFK Pluriel/Ensar Oud/AgarAura Oud

My UK Swapsies!

Need some Roja help: Need a Roja cap, any one (gave away my Fetish cap)
    Also my Harrods Oud bottle needs a cap
    Muchas gracias

I just picked up a back up bottle from Fragrancenet...I hope and assume it is the older non-magnetic cap version. Fingers crossed.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

I just picked up a back up bottle from Fragrancenet...I hope and assume it is the older non-magnetic cap version. Fingers crossed.
    I take it you bought it from their eBay auction, and not the website? The website still shows as not in stock, but coming soon.

One bottle came into stock this morning and I grabbed it fast!
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Well, I'm at a bit of a loss... how can someone say that Epic Man has nuclear projection and requires only a 1/2 spray to fill a room? I put on 5 short sprays--2 to the neck, one to the chest, and 2 more to my sides. I've never had a complaint. It's a bit strong at first but then dries down nicely. My bottle is from 2013 with the friction fit cap, so it can't be the latest.

It is fairly strong for me at first but after an hour the drydown for me has average projection and longevity is very good for me. I use about 3 sprays usually. May be my fqvorite scent...
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Well, I'm at a bit of a loss... how can someone say that Epic Man has nuclear projection and requires only a 1/2 spray to fill a room? I put on 5 short sprays--2 to the neck, one to the chest, and 2 more to my sides. I've never had a complaint. It's a bit strong at first but then dries down nicely. My bottle is from 2013 with the friction fit cap, so it can't be the latest.
    Very strange. I tried Epic from my old (original) Amouage sample couple of days ago, and some of it hit my shirt. I could still smell it faintly on my shirt after I've washed it in my machine!

See this is really difficult to gauge here. This is why we need someone who has had a bottle from years ago to say whether or not its bee watered down. Because someones perception of strength can be vastly different than the next guy.

I have an old bottle, and 2 full sprays are tops. Any more and you're asking for trouble. its literally beaming off of my skin for hours and hours.

Well, I'm at a bit of a loss... how can someone say that Epic Man has nuclear projection and requires only a 1/2 spray to fill a room?
    Comments like that used to drive me nuts but you get used to them after a while. Sometimes I chalk it up to age. If you weren't around during the 70's or 80's then you might not know how strong a fragrance can be. Otherwise If something lasts 3 hours these days it's got average longevity to some people. I wouldn't consider 3 hours to be reasonable at all.

Different Times.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    I wouldn't consider 3 hours to be reasonable at all.
    Same here. At least 8 hours would be ideal for me. Something that'd last me through the work day.

I bought a bottle of Epic Man right after it was released and I've never found it all that strong. I have never understood those comments about how strong it supposedly is.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I bought a bottle of Epic Man right after it was released and I've never found it all that strong. I have never understood those comments about how strong it supposedly is.
    Same here , bought it close to release date: it is strong for the 1st hour , then becomes soft , close to skin and after 6 hours hard to smell without bringing nose to skin.

I love it ! A beast suddenly turns into a mouse

I wish I had you guys around when I purchased the other "nuclear" duds I've owned.

I think it's plenty strong, as evidenced by friends and coworkers noticing it many hours after I've put it on -- and noticing it from several feet away. Strong fragrances more easily induce olfactory fatigue. I'd guess that's what's happening for folks who find the original version to be short-lived.

I suspect what will happen is that we will come to associate perfume with synthetic chemicals, with complete industrial artifice, and that's just what "fine fragrance" will mean. But maybe that's too cynical.
    It's not cynical - that is the future.

Think of how many times a fragrance ignoramus has moaned about someone wearing (or using) a natural essential oil, only to later praise the latest highly-synthetic celebrity fragrance.

True fragrance lovers are at a grave disadvantage, because there's no 'safety in numbers' card to play - the masses will blindly consume what is dished out to them, like a bunch of gluttonous pigs. The fragrance industry knows this only too well and are going to milk the situation for every cent they can.

As I've said time and time again, always buy back-ups at the soonest opportunity. Also, stop believing that fragrance houses are always going to serve your best interests. Stop being so damn naive!

Maybe there are....

wait for it....

batch variations.

Thanks for your thoughts here. I could not say it better or agree more. Buy back ups now or regret it later. Perfumery is going down hill quickly now it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post

Think of how many times a fragrance ignoramus has moaned about someone wearing (or using) a natural essential oil, only to later praise the latest highly-synthetic celebrity fragrance.

True fragrance lovers are at a grave disadvantage, because there's no 'safety in numbers' card to play - the masses will blindly consume what is dished out to them, like a bunch of gluttonous pigs. The fragrance industry knows this only too well and are going to milk the situation for every cent they can.

As I've said time and time again, always buy back-ups at the soonest opportunity. Also, stop believing that fragrance houses are always going to serve your best interests. Stop being so damn naive!
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post

It's true, that those who really appreciate the artistry of perfumes, who have taken this up as a hobby to indulge and explore, will find themselves in a painful minority. From what I've seen in my life experiences, most people I encounter are either fragrance averse, or simply "buy what is popular". Many have a few to perhaps half a dozen fragrances accumulated as gifts or bought upon impulse (saw that seductive Calvin Klein commercial and just had to have it). I'll bet many buy according to the brand name or popularity. "I see this advertised so much, so it MUST be good." The large perfume houses are money makers. That comes first. If the masses can be swayed into cheaper and simplistic fragrances, so be it. Only a few people in those companies really care about the art... and will push for exclusive lines that are more worthwhile. But with everyone bowing down to the IFRA/EU with nary a hiccup, they're letting the whole industry go to waste. YES, there's nothing wrong with MASS APPEAL, and mindless consumers, but don't forget those who are into the art of it. It is these people who promote it on-line and contribute to the mind share. If they all lose interest and turn to vintage or super small niche, then... the mainstream perfume industry will be come an aromachemical wasteland. Frederic Malle seems to think it's already too late.

I haven't smelled the first formulations, so it may not be fair to comment here. All I know is that I bought the Amouage sample set a while ago, and was not impressed at all. Reflection Man is nice, the masculine Jubilation too. But all of them smelled very thin to me, they had no substance. It's hard for me to believe that these perfumes are considered works of art or masterpieces.

One bottle came into stock this morning and I grabbed it fast!
    Well damn! The one bottle listed was a mistake. Order was cancelled...sigh.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    I haven't smelled the first formulations, so it may not be fair to comment here. All I know is that I bought the Amouage sample set a while ago, and was not impressed at all. Reflection Man is nice, the masculine Jubilation too. But all of them smelled very thin to me, they had no substance. It's hard for me to believe that these perfumes are considered works of art or masterpieces.
    Hmm.. In my opinion, Reflection is the worst from this company.. You call Amouage scents for thin? Joke, right?

gotta back it up!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    gotta back it up!

Wish I'd backed up the 'Woman' one
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Well damn! The one bottle listed was a mistake. Order was cancelled...sigh.
    That's peculiar. I wonder if someone beat you to it but the system didn't update soon enough to avoid processing an additional order. I'm guessing that once they're back in stock, they'll all have the magnetic caps.
    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Wish I'd backed up the 'Woman' one
    Has anyone reported seeing a change with Epic Woman as well?

I wonder if the 50ml bottles also have the magnetic cap now?

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    gotta back it up!
    with three bottles of vintage I'm set for the rest of me life, now!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

I think I'm still going to roll the dice on a couple of these when they come back in stock at the discounters. I really hope at least Jubilation XXV is still in good shape, since that is the one I'm most keen on. Epic and Memoir I may still buy, but am less invested in.