Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Amouage Epic Man: truly reformulated?

a tamed wild beast is just sad, anyway..gotta back up Interlude man before it's too late...

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    a tamed wild beast is just sad, anyway..gotta back up Interlude man before it's too late...
    He he.. Calm down. You got hysterics!

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    He he.. Calm down. You got hysterics!
    Res Ipsa Loquitur, mate! Envy is a wild beast, indeed!
    Last edited by Francolino; 2nd July 2014 at 05:27 AM.

You call Amouage scents for thin? Joke, right?
    I'm not joking at all. This is what I get from their official sample set.

I do have to wonder... if there's any consideration to maceration of contents with the air. I did experience this with a fragrance before, where I'd bought a partially used older splash bottle of a fragrance and then found a brand new sealed bottle smelled somewhat differently, with a stronger alcohol impression. The fragrance is Royall Muske by Royal Bermuda fragrances (famous for Royall Lyme). In time I discovered that with air being in the bottle that it changed. My anecdotal evidence was carefully measured in direct comparisons with the old and new bottle over time. At this point, a few months later, I find the differences barely perceptible. Not to say this is a rule, but it could be that for some formulations exposure to air can introduce mild character changes. Incidentally, I bought a smaller vintage sealed bottle of Muske and had the same experience as I did with the new one. To me, that confirms the introduction of air changes the quality (in a good way), at least for that particular fragrance.

In any case...

I bought a brand new bottle of Amouage Jubilation, with the magnetic cap. I was expecting to receive the older one, with the bone ivory colored plastic cap, as the seller offered a tester that featured that cap. I wanted the older one, fearing Amouage might have reformulated Jubilation in step with the new bottle since Epic Man has allegedly been changed. But after careful deliberate testing I find the new bottle contents no different than my sample from the earlier bottle design. I think I can safely say that Amouage didn't change anything with Jubilation.

By the way, the new cap design is excellent. The weight of the metal cap is reduced somewhat to a more ergonomic feel, and the magnetic closure has a higher end quality to the bottle experience. I probably would have preferred the bone ivory look over flashy gold, but with the same heavier weight. Still, it's quite nice.

cytherian, yours is a good point. I'm sure there are fragrances that change with further maceration, introduction of air, and simply the passing of time. It's possible this is the case with Epic Man, but I doubt it for two reasons. First, the biggest difference for me is in the base notes, three or so hours into the development. In the newest (magnetic cap) version, there's a buzzing synthetic ("oud"?) note which is absent in the older version; additionally, the sandalwood note is nowhere to be found. It's not a difference of degree or richness, it's literally a different base. Second, as you'll see earlier in this thread, the ingredients list has changed significantly between the old and new, with the old listing many more ingredients. Since I doubt the IFRA or EU have relaxed the number of potential allergens that need to be listed, it's fair to assume Amouage has changed the formula. Of course I look forward to others doing some comparisons between the two versions, but to me the difference (again, beyond the opening and heart) was quite clear.

^ Good points there, onethinline. I hadn't re-read your original post for a while but I see what you're saying. A different orchestration of ingredients would certainly suggest a change, especially if you don't detect sandalwood at all.

However, I propose that the change may have occurred prior to the cap design change. While I do appreciate my bottle of Epic Man, I find it hard to perceive the sandalwood note. Maybe for my nose the other notes are presenting too much olfactory noise for me to perceive it... or, there was a reformulation having already taken place. My bottle is a tester with the friction fit style cap, purchased in December 2013. The tester packages have a rather ambiguous ingredients list of just 3 components, which I suspect is designed for re-use of the tester box for all fragrances (the name is dot matrix printed on the box). As a result, I have no reference of the actual full contents for my bottle (all of the essential notes blended in).

By the way, is there any batch code reference for Amouage fragrances? I have a number imprinted on the box, but I believe it to be a SKU, not a batch number.

Not sure whether anyone has decoded the Amouage batch code (it's stamped on the bottom of the bottle, I believe). However, the ingredients label has a reference number (common across bottles of a particular fragrance). Notably, the number for the older version, with many more listed ingredients, is different from the number on the newest version.

I know I keep mentioning it, but the synthetic woodsy note in the new version is just so distinct from the base of the earlier versions (what I'd tested before, and what I smelled in official samples I'd ordered). I've been able to compare that newest bottle directly to an older bottle I bought just after, and the difference in the base was there again, quite clearly. As I've said, I don't think the newest version is bad by any means, but that new base is not to my personal taste at all.

Again this is so sad. The long tenticles of the IFRA and The Emirates Authority for Standardisation and Metrology (ESMA) are ruining not just Europen perfumes, but those from the Middle East too. It seems that Amouage first pulled all of its attars and ceased production of them. Probably at the same time reformulations were in the works for their other scents. I have no doubt, even without smelling that Epic has been changed and I expect most or all of Amouage's products will be similarly evicerated.

If you have not read this short article, you might want to.

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...03-27-1.543303
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Again this is so sad. The long tenticles of the IFRA and The Emirates Authority for Standardisation and Metrology (ESMA) are ruining not just Europen perfumes, but those from the Middle East too. It seems that Amouage first pulled all of its attars and ceased production of them. Probably at the same time reformulations were in the works for their other scents. I have no doubt, even without smelling that Epic has been changed and I expect most or all of Amouage's products will be similarly evicerated.

If you have not read this short article, you might want to.

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...03-27-1.543303
    thanx for sharing the article, now I know I gotta back Interlude man up before it is too late!

For what it's worth...

I took a sample of Jubilation that I'd received from a friend (came from an early 2013 bottle) and my new bottle of Jubilation and decanted each into a small vial with a tiny square of white label on each. One had a black dot on it, which represents the new one. I then did the walnut shell shuffle and I applied about 0.25ml to each wrist. Overall I found very little difference. One felt a slight but "fuller" and "fruitier" and also seemed to project just a little more. After 30 mins I couldn't really sense any difference. I then went for broke and dumped the remaining contents of each onto each respective arm (blank on left, tiny black dot on right). Seemed to be a similar experience yet again, of the right arm being slightly richer. Two hours later, I couldn't tell the difference at all. I then revealed the containers to myself and saw that the right arm had the contents of the new bottle. Honestly, I was kind of expecting the reverse. Still, even a slight marginal difference in the beginning is inconsequential as the dry down equalizes everything.

I know this is Jubilation and the thread is about Epic Man... but the concern here is if Epic Man is a sign of many other reformulations taking place in the house of Amouage. It certainly looks to me like Jubilation has not been reformulated... unless my bottle was filled with juice created just prior to an intended reformulation. But I suspect that is not the case. I'll have to do a double-check on the ingredients list though.

My Jubilation package shows this ingredients list:
    Alcohol Denat, Parfum, Aqua, Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, Linalool, Eugenol, Cinnamal, Geraniol, Diethyl Phthalate, Isoeugenol

A friend of mine has the older style bottle, and his list is slightly different:
    Benzyl Benzoate, Cinnamal, Citral, Citronellol, Coumarin, Aqua, SD Alcohol 39-C, Eugenol, Geraniol, Isoeugenol, Limonene and Linalool.

Notice the absence of Citral, Citronellol, and Coumarin. I'd heard Coumarin was on the IFRA chopping block, so... looks like it is gone. Unless "Parfum" is being used to hide some of these.
    Last edited by cytherian; 8th July 2014 at 07:58 PM.

That's interesting, cytherian.
    I wonder how that would compare to the original issues as some of the 'Women' ones definitely altered before 2013.

Not relevant either, but I'm waiting for a bottle of Epic Woman extrait & will be doing some comparisons with a bottle of the original EdP that has been here for a few years as it has been suggested in respect of some that the extrait is worth looking at if available.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    That's interesting, cytherian.
    I wonder how that would compare to the original issues as some of the 'Women' ones definitely altered before 2013.

Not relevant either, but I'm waiting for a bottle of Epic Woman extrait & will be doing some comparisons with a bottle of the original EdP that has been here for a few years as it has been suggested in respect of some that the extrait is worth looking at if available.
    To my nose the extrait and EdP are very similar just different concentrations. Please let us know your thoughts though when you compare them.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    To my nose the extrait and EdP are very similar just different concentrations. Please let us know your thoughts though when you compare them.
    They appear pretty similar, perhaps a little less frankincense in the extrait than in my old EdP bottle.

I would agree that both concentrations for Epic Woman are very similar, albeit the extrait is richer and longer lasting.

Neither are sillage monsters.

They appear pretty similar, perhaps a little less frankincense in the extrait than in my old EdP bottle.
    Did you receive the extrait, lpp? I liked it more than the standard Epic Woman EdP, but didn't give it a full wearing on my skin, after a shower with no other scent on my skin to be able to say for sure whether I liked it or not. Expensive stuff mind you!

I have the extrait version of Epic woman and see little difference between that and the regular version except that it seems a bit stronger and lasts longer. Super expensive though and to be honest, I am not sure it is worth the price...except for the fact that I got a tester at a remarkable price.

Do they stull make the extrait? I have not sen it listed anywhere for quite some time.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Mine wasn't anywhere near full price either, Akahina

It's still available on their own website.

@rum - yes, the original EdP is amongst my favourites & so a back-up was needed & that seemed like a plan...
    The base seems slightly different but it's an option!

@rum - yes, the original EdP is amongst my favourites & so a back-up was needed & that seemed like a plan...
    The base seems slightly different but it's an option!
    One of my justifications for visiting the Amouage store is to go and sniff the extraits
    I need to go back there soon!

Jubilation 25 was nice....

Jubilation 25 was nice....
    I found the Jub 25 extrait very disappointing. It's not as edgy and doesn't last long on the skin.

As a result, I ended up getting the EDP instead.

Personally, I think the Lyric and Epic extraits are definitely worth investigating, though I can't speak for the earlier releases, such as Gold.

Overall, the Amouage extraits are really hit and miss, IMHO.

Was that a recent one, Trebor? - mine is from when it came out & seems fairly nuclear!

Was that a recent one, Trebor? - mine is from when it came out & seems fairly nuclear!
    I tried them all when they first came out (I think I was one of the first to mention the existence of Amouage extraits on Basenotes). I applied Jub 25 extrait on myself, on two separate occasions, but didn't get much presence after a couple of hours.

I also found the Jub 25 extrait less animalic than the EDP.

Just received my bottle of Epic Man from Fragrancenet today. I am sad to say that they were selling new stock, and the new stock has none of hte punch that I loved in Epic Man. As others have said numerous times, it's a toned down version, for me not in a good way. I wore old on one arm, new on the other. The older version has a delicious sweetness that is sadly missing from the new, and the new is definitely fainter. I am disappointed.
    Current favorites:
    1. Invasion Barbare by MDCI
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse
    5. Hard Leather by LM Parfums
    6. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
    7. Tribute Attar by Amouage

Very sad...

On the other hand, those that say Fragrancenet always sells old stock should take note.
    Last edited by Akahina; 16th July 2014 at 03:55 AM.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Very sad...

On the other hand, those that say Fragrancenet always sells old stock should take note.
    Good news bad news. Yay, new stock! Boooo, new stock...
    Current favorites:
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse

Very sad...

The amount of times I've had a potential buyer asking me how fresh a bottle, for sale, is beggars belief. You're not buying fruit and veg!

There's a lot of misinformation about that. As long as the bottles are stored well, it should make no difference (that's provided we're not also taking different formulations into account).

Well, I for one am convinced the Epic Man reformulation is real, given the number of testimonies. Really lousy news, especially since there was a prominent inventory gap between the old and new bottles. It's going to be very hard to track down the older version at retail prices. Already one guy sold his 50% full 100ml bottle with "vintage" in the title and it sold for just a little shy of what FragranceNet charges for a full tester. Anybody who feels lukewarm about Epic Man will now have an opportunity to make their money back and then some.

My only hope is that Amouage feels a notable decline in Epic Man sales, and with sufficient feedback from reviews perhaps they'll reformulate it back to what it was. Or... maybe there's just a bad initial batch out there? One can only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    Just received my bottle of Epic Man from Fragrancenet today. I am sad to say that they were selling new stock, and the new stock has none of hte punch that I loved in Epic Man. As others have said numerous times, it's a toned down version, for me not in a good way. I wore old on one arm, new on the other. The older version has a delicious sweetness that is sadly missing from the new, and the new is definitely fainter. I am disappointed.
    I assume it has a magnetic cap? Also curious if you got the boxed, unboxed or tester.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

I assume it has a magnetic cap? Also curious if you got the boxed, unboxed or tester.
    I got the boxed one, and it came with a magnetic cap. Can't speak for how testers or unboxed come from Fragrancenet. I tried it again last night after I got home, it's definitely not the same fragrance it once was.
    Current favorites:
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse

Good to hear more reports on this, as I wouldn't expect mine to stand alone. But this does emphasize what I've said earlier on this thread: the difference between the newest bottles (magnetic cap, different ingredients list) and the original version isn't subtle. Again, the main accord in the opening and heart is very recognizably Epic Man, so it's not drastic, but the difference is in the richness and in the dry down, where a thin woody synthetic stands in for what was a rich sandalwood effect before.

I don't know that pressure will prompt Amouage to change things back, as I sincerely doubt this house would change the fragrance for any reason other than new IFRA/EU restrictions. Keep in mind that margins on fragrances are usually quite healthy, especially for luxury outfits like Amouage. Not to deny the quality of ingredients the house uses, but their actual cost compared to the price of the bottle leaves a lot of room, and I doubt minor savings would justify a reformulation here. I'm fingering regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post

I don't know that pressure will prompt Amouage to change things back, as I sincerely doubt this house would change the fragrance for any reason other than new IFRA/EU restrictions. Keep in mind that margins on fragrances are usually quite healthy, especially for luxury outfits like Amouage. Not to deny the quality of ingredients the house uses, but their actual cost compared to the price of the bottle leaves a lot of room, and I doubt minor savings would justify a reformulation here. I'm fingering regulations.
    I agree. Amouage sold their attars at a high price and it seems that the womans versions always cost more; I never understood this. If ingredients cost more I would assume they would charge more. I would also guess that at about the same time they pulled the attars from the shelves they also started reformulating their scents to comply with local and IFRA bans and regulations. It sucks, but that is the future it seems. I have said it before, as have others. If you want something,buy it ASAP or get a degraded product. We are entering a period of diminished scents.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

I got my order today from Fragrancenet. I got the old bottle od Epic man with the friction cap. (I went cheap and ordered the unboxed bottle hoping it would be the old version.) I also got a tester of Fate man. I am convinced that Fate was a return because there is no air in the tube. There may be a spray or two missing but I don't care at the price. The box was taped on the bottom with clear tape (I assume that is how it came) but the top was taped poorly and then a second layer and a third layer of tape on top of that with the transparent, matte tape.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

I got my order today from Fragrancenet. I got the old bottle od Epic man with the friction cap. (I went cheap and ordered the unboxed bottle hoping it would be the old version.) I also got a tester of Fate man. I am convinced that Fate was a return because there is no air in the tube. There may be a spray or two missing but I don't care at the price. The box was taped on the bottom with clear tape (I assume that is how it came) but the top was taped poorly and then a second layer and a third layer of tape on top of that with the transparent, matte tape.
    I'm glad you received what you wanted.

I would still like to smell newer batches before casting any judgement if the scents are reformulated. I probably won't buy back up bottles as there are so many fragrances out there if I run out of one of my favorites I'm sure I can find another scent to replace it.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    I'm glad you received what you wanted.

I would still like to smell newer batches before casting any judgement if the scents are reformulated. I probably won't buy back up bottles as there are so many fragrances out there if I run out of one of my favorites I'm sure I can find another scent to replace it.
    I understand completely! But Epic is special to me and my "go to" scent so often I would be crushed to have a reformulated version. Glad I have a back up bottle at last.

I also got samples from Parfums Raffy of Journey man and woman and Opus VIII. I am sampling Journey man today and am quite liking it. Don't understand the detractors so far but it has only been on for a couple of hours. My first thought, rather than pepper wes cinnamon! Must be the tonka bean. It is changing now as I write this. More thoughts later in the proper thread.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Congrats on the Epic Man original and Fate Man new, Akahina.

When they're side-by-side, the cap differences are immediately recognizable. No longer is the fragrance name stamped on the cap, but instead on the collar. And the magnetic version is a little shorter with a wider neck.

All the replenished amouage boxed at fragrance net are new stock magnetic cap. FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy1985 View Post
    All the replenished amouage boxed at fragrance net are new stock magnetic cap. FYI.
    Thanks Prodigy. Having read Akahina's post about the unboxed being old stock, I just placed an order for one. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Current favorites:
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse

Thanks Prodigy. Having read Akahina's post about the unboxed being old stock, I just placed an order for one. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    No problem. The unboxed amouage are the friction type cap from what I have ordered. All the boxed one are magnetic.

Eager to hear your report on this. They have over 60 bottles of the stuff in inventory... but no telling how much is old and what might be new. I tried to find out and they say it is impossible to know (customer service is totally disconnected from the warehouse).

No problem. The unboxed amouage are the friction type cap from what I have ordered. All the boxed one are magnetic.
    Yeah, I got one of the boxed ones last week, was supremely disappointed. Contacted Amouage, and haven't heard back from them. So called fragrancenet, and they did a refund for the boxed version I had, and I ordered unboxed right away. May order another for a backup if all goes well, waiting to see.

Will let you know Cytherin for sure!

Any word on whether any other new versions of Amouage are different, particularly Memoir Man?
    Current favorites:
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse

Anyone know if they screwed up Memoir Man as well?

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Anyone know if they screwed up Memoir Man as well?
    I would like to know this as well.

Yeah, I got one of the boxed ones last week, was supremely disappointed. Contacted Amouage, and haven't heard back from them. So called fragrancenet, and they did a refund for the boxed version I had, and I ordered unboxed right away. May order another for a backup if all goes well, waiting to see.

Will let you know Cytherin for sure!

Any word on whether any other new versions of Amouage are different, particularly Memoir Man?
    You had to return the bottle, right? If not a free bottle of reformulated juice would fill some gap. Hmmm....

I ordered an unboxed version initially hoping and assuming it would be old stock...a roll of the dice for sure, but I rolled and won. I don't think there is any way to know if all the unboxed botfles are old stock or not. It could be a mix. My understanding is that unboxed bottles are ones whose packaging is damaged in some way and becomes unsellable at retail. My assumption, which may or may not be correct, is that Amouage had some "bad" old stock they needed to get rid of since they had reformulated the scent. I also assumed that testers and normal boxed products would be new stock. I may or may not have been correct, but what I got as an unboxed bottle is definately the old formulation. I wore it today and it is the same.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

You had to return the bottle, right? If not a free bottle of reformulated juice would fill some gap. Hmmm....

I ordered an unboxed version initially hoping and assuming it would be old stock...a roll of the dice for sure, but I rolled and won. I don't think there is any way to know if all the unboxed botfles are old stock or not. It could be a mix. My understanding is that unboxed bottles are ones whose packaging is damaged in some way and becomes unsellable at retail. My assumption, which may or may not be correct, is that Amouage had some "bad" old stock they needed to get rid of since they had reformulated the scent. I also assumed that testers and normal boxed products would be new stock. I may or may not have been correct, but what I got as an unboxed bottle is definately the old formulation. I wore it today and it is the same.
    Yeah, mailed it back. Free would have been nice! I could have lived with that
    Current favorites:
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse

Blog Entries

I would like to know this as well.
    Interesting thread, and great info with the ingredient label discrepancies and the friction v. magnetic cap thing. I happy to report that my own non-magnetic bottle of Epic Man has apparently earned its hard-fought claim to "vintage" status

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm also wondering if anyone else has info on the status of old v. recent Interlude and Memoir? Anybody have any thoughts or observations about those too?

I am curious too, especially about Memoir since that is on my list. I love Interlude too but have that and I don't wear it as much as Epic, which has become something I wear a lot! It just suits me so well. If the whole line has been reformulated I will be crushed.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

I actually would mind if the toned down interlude. I can only do one or two spray of it and that's pushing it. All the rest needed to stay the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if Opus V1 has been reformulated ?

Blog Entries

I am curious too, especially about Memoir since that is on my list. I love Interlude too but have that and I don't wear it as much as Epic, which has become something I wear a lot! It just suits me so well. If the whole line has been reformulated I will be crushed.
    I'm right there with you, Akahina - I'd be extremely disappointed. Memoir has been on my list for a long time, and I hope to eventually purchase the one I've always known. As for Epic, I'll have to make due with my one bottle. Interlude is another matter for me altogether. This thread reinforced the lesson: if it's truly a favorite, best to buy a backup. So I'm biting the financial bullet and just ordered a backup (tester) of Interlude. I'll try to report back results of friction cap v. magnetic cap Interlude (assuming they send me the newer bottle).

Prodigy1985 is definitely right though. I'd actually have no problem if they turned the volume of Interlude down a bit. As for the fragrance, I definitely hope it remains the same in every other respect.

To track down an original-formulation bottle of Epic Man, I wrote several stockists explaining that the fragrance had changed recently and hoping they could help me track down the older bottles. I basically asked whether any of their stock had the longer ingredients list which includes oak moss toward the end (that's easy to see on an unopened box). I heard back from Luckyscent and The Perfume House, both of whom had some of the good stuff in stock, and ended up ordering from The Perfume House.

So, that would be one way to go: get in touch with smaller shops which stock Amouage and ask what they have.

I also hope Memoir Man isn't changed, or not notably. I do worry though, as I believe it has oak moss, and it seems new formulations this year just omit oak and tree moss entirely in line with these pending EU regulations.

I also hope Memoir Man isn't changed, or not notably. I do worry though, as I believe it has oak moss, and it seems new formulations this year just omit oak and tree moss entirely in line with these pending EU regulations.
    Are you sure memoir man contains oak moss? I just got a bottle with the friction cap and oak moss is not listed in the ingredients. If it does then the reformulation took place before changing the caps which would make it even more difficult to tell which is reform or not.
    Last edited by prodigy1985; 19th July 2014 at 05:41 PM.

Are you sure memoir man contains oak moss? I just got a bottle with the friction cap and oak moss is not listed in the ingredients. If it does then the reformulation took place before changing the caps which would make it even more difficult to tell which is reform or not.
    I have a brand new bottle. -Not reformulated.

Oak moss is listed among Memoir Man's notes (on the official Amouage site and on Fragrantica), but can't remember off-hand if it was in the ingredients list. Glad to hear from Oslo-Fjord, though, that a new bottle smells unchanged!

I can't recall exactly and can't find it but Fredric Malle said they had to recormulate several of their fragrances to meet the IFRA's draconian rules, but not all of them. I can only assume that would be the case with most high-end house fragrances.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Heard Memoir and Lyric got reformulated as well

Quote Originally Posted by topnotes View Post
    Heard Memoir and Lyric got reformulated as well
    Where did you 'hear' this?

I have a brand new bottle. -Not reformulated.
    Could you show a picture of the ingredients on your box?

Could you show a picture of the ingredients on your box?

Do remember that the 'ingredients' list is not exhaustive and is only indicative of restricted ingredients.
    Many actual ingredients will be included under the 'parfum' bit.