Code of Conduct

Default S.O.T.D. - Tuesday, 3 June, 2014.

Good morning! Jicky.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Tuesday, 3 June, 2014.

Hi 勝美! & everyone - have a lovely day

Lalfeo Oro - O'Driu.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 勝美! View Post
    Good morning! Jicky.
    Good morning! l have no idea how to type your username, can you tell us how to pronounce it? Thanks!

Today l'm doing a side-by-side comparison of White Fire with Gardenia Petale. Another very similar pairing, although l'd say WF is slightly cooler & airier, whereas GP is more dense & creamy. Both are really gorgeous white florals, though.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Morning all! In Tauer's Incense Rose today.

Mike and Mocha - thanks for chiming in on the EL Private Collection. Well, now, after both of your glowing descriptions, that one goes onto my blind buy list ASAP! Thanks also for the reassurances on pricing - living in Europe, we never really know if we are getting ripped off on American perfumes or not. Everything seems so much more expensive in Europe, even though much of the world's perfumes are actually made here.

Mike - by the way, I have some (relatively) vintage Chanel No. 19 (the one in the discontinued silver cannister) if you would like me to send you some to sniff! I tried the EDP the other day in the airport, and I found it to be considerably different from my EDT - very heavily musky, floral, and vetiver-forward (like you mentioned). I have some parfum on the way to me, so I am curious to see how that differs from the EDT too.

Erin - I love the Eau Premiere! By the way, how is it going with your friend? I have been in and out the last few weeks, so may have missed an important update?

Hi everyone,

teardrop thanks for the comparison, I tried Gardenia Petale a few months back and though it was very pretty. You have inspired me to sniff White Fire.

A belated welcome to you 勝美! I adore Jicky, you smell wonderful.

((Jujy))

Egoiste for me today and following it with a Bois des Îles chaser tonight, EdT layered under a few drops of vintage extrait.
    Last edited by Xscent; 3rd June 2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: hugs for jujy
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l have no idea how to type your username, can you tell us how to pronounce it?
    My name is pronounced Katsumi. Thank you for the greetings!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 勝美! View Post
    My name is pronounced Katsumi. Thank you for the greetings!
    Thanks, & welcome to basenotes, Katsumi!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Eutopie # 4 by Eutopie

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone. Guerlain L'Instant Magic for me.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

hello all,

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Tuesday, 3 June, 2014.

Original Issue
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Vintage Guerlain Jicky extrait layered with current Jicky Eau de Parfum.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

queen of the universe

Welcome, 勝美! Katsumi <3

Last day of school. I'm facing down fifth graders in Diorella. I have two versions of this fragrance, both vintage. The newer is aerosol and very lemony. I went with that, for the kids, and dabbed a bit of the older "flowers and garbage/rotten and delicious" (American Hustle) splash on my wrists just for me.

Drama at home, and then not. Nest is empty again, son is with dad, just a mile away (psychological distance notwithstanding). It will all be OK.

Pleasant day to all.
    Last edited by jujy54; 3rd June 2014 at 11:41 AM.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Hello all and welcome 勝美 Katsumi!

(((jujy))) - Hope the non-drama stays that way.

I felt like something floral today, and in the "go big or go home" mindset that tends to be mine, I'm in Imaginary Authors L'Orichidee Terrible. Not heavy, but plenty of sillage from the aldyhydes. Really hits the spot!

L'Orchidee Terrible notes: Orchid, Honey, Muguet, Aldehydes, White Musk & Satin.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Perry Ellis M

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Chanel Antaeus today
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Here we go playing catch-up from last Wednesday …

Thank you, ComDiva and ErinK and 30Roses, for extended celebrating.

Welcome, Katsumi / 勝美!
    Welcome, Caroline1001!

(((Jujy))) May peace reign.

ClaireV, your comments about Kumquat's oh-so-special, furry photo (“my eyes, my eyes”) cracked me up. Compensatingly, Kumquat’s Friday photo representing Jardin d’Amalfi, with the lemon slices in the vase, filled me with heavenly imaginings of scent. That horse photo Roberto found—mercy! Nature brings about stunning organisms.

From the group bath discussion, I think we've outgrown Xscent's place. Sounds like we need to build a Basenotes Roman Bathhouse. Jon, can you scout us an architect? You know I nearly collapsed at the sight of your views of Arundel, you tease. (“Terrytory”—Eh! Good one.)

Been scattering my energies across a mismatch of concerns:
    • Still cranking on landscape projects in anticipation of the June 16 tour for a Red Hat Society-type group of women who are really coming to see the school, not the grounds, but I want to make a good impression;
    • Daughter's (and her cat’s) move home while she stalks the condo market (much like rynegne);
    • The upstairs tenant at our little duplex just gave notice she's moving out;
    • Our downstairs tenant’s mother is in ICU while his 90-something-year-old father can't be left alone at the farm that he wants to keep running despite his infirmities.
    As an obsessive organizer, having half our house in chaos with DD’s spillage of boxes and with our refrigerator chock-full of her vegetarian specialty foods, it feels like I'm losing control over my surroundings. It's unsettling that our tenants are in flux, which can have a ripple effect on our income. At the moment, am wistfully nostalgic for those long, lazy, uneventful days of winter, uninterrupted by people’s goings-on, the landscape frozen.

Time to shower and take some hits of Marni.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I'm having a day of nodding off in the middle of everything I do, which happens periodically with the medication I'm on so I'm trying to accept this with good grace as resisting sleeping just results in me feeling more and more ill until I give in.

So today I'm wearing Chanel No 19 to sleep in my recliner.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Welcome Katsumi! And good morning all. Today I am wearing Byredo 1996, one of my current favorites.

Narcisse Noir vintage edt

Welcome 勝美 Katsumi! I am wearing Aedes Iris Nazarena today, along with a couple of dabs of Ramon Monegal Impossible Iris just for comparison. The Monegal is much sweeter.

Basenotes Institution

Extract of Mysore Sandalwood by Crabtree & Evelyn

Healing bear hugs to sfmedua and jujuy54 just because/
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 3rd June 2014 at 03:09 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

Good afternoon all !. Logging in with trepidation - any skanky knickers or wrinkled stockings today ?.

I knew her well (though not intimately) ..........

SotD is PDN New York.

Xscent, I will be really interested to hear your impressions of White Fire. It seems to have had mainly positive comments so far and I am hoping you will be enamoured enough to consider a full bottle (enabling again ).

Jujy, may the relatively calm status quo remain.

Welcome Katsumi

Hello all. 28 La Pausa.
    DONNA

House of Matriarch Blackbird - Been super busy lately with work, catching up and packing/unpacking boxes for temporary storage. I'm actually very glad I took a vacation right before the move, don't know how stressed I'd be if I didn't get the hit the "reset button." Surprisingly beautiful weather in the Chicago area today which mad the commute tolerable. It's reminding me of sunny, yet cool...San Francisco. I already miss the city and the lovely people I met! Oh, and Blue Bottle Coffee (really wish we had one here!)

Haha Quarry, is your daughter looking up North? Luckily I'm not in my parent's hair at all. They have a large finished basement with a giant crawlspace that I'm shacking up in. Right now, it's a little insane as my commute went from 10 minutes to anywhere between 35-60 minutes and I'm sorting items for storage...trying to find running shoes. Late nights and little sleep trying to sort everything out. But, it will definitely be worth it in the end. I'm glad I chose to move back to the parent's place rather than an apartment as I was able to get rid of many things I won't need for the new place....a necessary purge of sorts.

Hope everyone has a great day!
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Dior Vetiver / SSS Incense Pure / Mancera Kumkat Wood / Slumberhouse & More...

Lab Olfattivo ~ Decou-Vert.

Welcome, Katsumi!

((sfmedusa)), I hope you start feeling better soon. Recliner snoozes are pretty fantastic. Although I haven't had a recliner since late 2010, so I'm saying that with envious nostalgia

Hugs to you, ((Jujy)) for taking the peaks and valleys with such grace. Do you have a favorite "calm in the storm" concerto that you enjoy playing? My father always gravitated to Bach to help him re-order his mind. He was a teacher, too -- high school English for 33 years.

You can come out, Jon, I'm not bringing da skank today -- just the lovely apricot suede of Daim Blond, still my all-time most worn.

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune

Blog Entries

Hermes- Bel Ami
    Sumptuous, floral leather. Unisex and sexy.

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Tauer Incense Rose.

Good morning. I am vanilla-ed in La Maison Vanille Absolu de la Vanille.

Hope everyone has had a good start to their week....

Blog Entries

Coccobello this evening.

Hugs to all who need them!

Shelter Island by Bond No.9

Good evening all, and welcome to Katsumi It's been a gorgeous day( weatherwise...and I briefly met a crush I have at work He works at night, though) It has been an exhausting one too ,at work :/ Today I wore Bois des iles as sotd. For sotE I'm in the slightly more skanky Musc Ravageur (( Jujy)) Hope you all have a great evening

Good afternoon to all and best wishes.

Katsumi, good to see you again.

I'm wearing Eau Première, after Chanel cleverly sent me a sample. As a No. 5 fan, I've always liked this, and it is much lighter to wear in the heat. Darn them; I am tempted.

Hi, I'm in Bottega Veneta today. The last time I wore this scent was in the winter. Today, when it's hot outside, the fruity notes are much more pronounced on me and even sweeter, while the leather is more subdued. It's still nice, though.

Hello All
    Tauer's PHI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilian Water Calligraphy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, y'all!

First, a super big hug for (((jujy))) -- and mmm, that Diorella just makes me want to hug you even more!

Welcome, Katsumi!

ClaireV, thanks for thinking of me and asking, lovely. I let him go, but didn't tell you guys yet. I did meet someone new, though...but more on him later!

catnip_too, have you tried Bottega Veneta Eau Legere? If not, go out and getcha some, pronto! It's so sexy, and great in the heat. Jon, just going to borrow this to use on catnip, if you don't mind...

Today I'm in another fabulous warm weather floral: Diptyque Do Son.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

((Quarry)) unsettling to say the least. Order will settle in the Kingdom of Quarry soon enough. For now breathe, make some lists and have some wine.

Rynegne sounds like a great set up and nice you have your own space. I remember obsessively house hunting many years ago and many houses later the thrill of the hunt is still very much there.

sfmedusa take care of yourself. Napping and waking up occasionally for a little spritz of something sounds a perfectly wonderful way to spend the day.

Jon I want to know how well and in what context? It’s quite the ensemble she has on, the wrinkled stockings and rollers allude to her making some effort. Consider me enabled.

ErinK just thought you would slip that little tidbit in did we? I'll be on the look out for more later.

Have Sinatra singing ‘Come fly with me’ in my head this morning, ‘…weather wise it’s such a lovely day …’ . Actually it's cool, crisp and perfect for a good amount of No.5 parfum and EdT and while I’m at it stockings too, seamed not wrinkled and off to work I go.
    Last edited by Xscent; 4th June 2014 at 03:33 AM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Basenotes Institution

You guys are cracking me up tonight, I'm giggling and it feels good. lol

Still at work (it's 8:00 pm here!). But I can't complain. I had a long long lunch (it was a lunch date with a new guy I met). More details later, we'll see.

When I get home I'm gonna drench myself in some Mysore Sandalwood by Profumo.it & go grocery shopping.

Mocha - I love No. 5 Eau Premiere and I'm not a No. 5 fan. Do it!!
    kumquat - I LOVE that horse picture you posted for Bel Ami above. I saw that you bought a bottle of it. Is it the 'new' juice on shelves, or the vintage? I recently tested the vintage and really enjoyed it.
    rynegne - your new place sounds just right, I hope it feels like home soon. Please tell me more about Blackbird, I keep hearing about it. Oh and tomorrow I plan on wearing Limed, looking forward to it.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Testing Tam Dao, reminds me of Champagne de Bois a bit. Mike, have you tried Tam Dao?

I keep hearing about this Blackbird too..but thought it was the fruity one by Olympic Orchards..guess there are two Blackbird scents. I am not huge on oud, so I don't think I will be interested in sampling the oudy one.

I haven't sniffed Bel Ami, sounds like one to test out.

Hugs to everyone!
    Last edited by kalli; 4th June 2014 at 12:52 AM.

I wore Hanae Mori HM this evening now ending the night with Bogart One Man Show. Very nice fragrance for under $15.

Now just waiting for some possible bad storms to roll through tonight. I think the really bad stuff is going to be more north though. Southern Iowa and Nebraska looks like its going to get the brunt of the storm.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Guerlain L'Heure Bleue tonight
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Blog Entries

The Bel Ami is the recent version. Very good. Vintage is always better but this is very good.

summer means fireflys

Another late posting ... just got home at 10:00 pm my time after working all day (14 hours). I'm wearing Max Mara today, a light and airy magnolia scent. Perfect for the hotter weather.

hugs to all (and extra ones for jujy and Quarry!) ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu