Code of Conduct

Default S.O.T.D. - Wednesday, 4 June, 2014.

Hi everyone - have a lovely day!

Shaal Nur, from an old bottle.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Wednesday, 4 June, 2014.

Hi everyone,

((shades)) time to put those tired feet up.

Erin and Mike it warms the heart to read you are finding special people to spend time with, lucky them! Waiting on details here

Giving Jon an olfactory break and wearing Gardénia parfum for ballet tonight. Not trace of skank in this one, it's JFP.

Enjoy your day
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Good morning! Guerlain Après L'Ondée.

Blog Entries

Morning all!

Giving another try to 25:43 by Gorilla Perfumes today.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Sampled Tuberose Gardenia, I don't like it as much, after sampling a few times. I just can't get into gardenia..even in this scent. But I kind of liked this scent for a while, perhaps it's a colder weather scent. I will still try to sample Terracotta le Parfum at some point. Have you tried the Terracotta yet, teardrop?

Blog Entries

No l haven't, kalli. l will try to remedy that soon!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Rappelle-Moi by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Morning All! In my all-time favorite Bois des Iles today! I won a 6ml bottle of vintage extract for 50 euros on EvilBay last week, so let's cross all our fingers that it's still good when it gets here!

Ipp - ah, another HG for me, Shaal Nur. I love that stuff. Is the vintage better than the current? I have only sampled the current. I bought a partial bottle of it from a fellow Basenoter a while back and am still waiting for it to arrive.

Big hugs to Quarry! I love the way you write about the wonderful place you live in, Quarry! Sorry you are going through an unsettling time of flux with the people coming in and out. But change is good. In a few weeks, things will have settled and you will be able to appreciate everything more. You will miss your daughter when she's moved out!

Jon - we were scent twins yesterday in Andy Tauer's Incense Rose and you never even noticed, SNIFF!

ErinK - Come on now, we need the full story. Spill.

Mike - I seem to remember that you promised us all a good (and long) yarn about the Apres L'Ondee extrait you just won. I have been waiting patiently for the story, but I am now calling time on you, my friend. Spill.

Xscent - I don't know how this is possible, but your spirit seems to have occupied my body recently. I have bid on and won vintage extraits of Chanel No. 22 and Bois des Iles on EvilBay in the last two weeks (with absolutely NO IDEA if what I am buying is a good deal or even real or anything) and I also bought a bathtub sized bottle of Cuir de Russie EDT (gently used) for more money than I thought I would ever pay for a bottle of perfume. I am blaming you. Somehow you have taken over my mind and are pushing all the buttons on my self-control and the digits on my credit card. STOP IT RIGHT NOW WOMAN

Part of this crazy drive to buy up all the perfume I love is that I have learned that my job is definitely ending in August. So, I am deep in existential panic that I will never have an income with which to buy perfume ever again, hence the sudden splurge on bottles/decants of my favorites. I have never NOT worked, if you know what I mean, and the idea of suddenly not earning money is frightening the living daylights out of me!

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Wednesday, 4 June, 2014.

Eau de Toilette
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Good morning, all!

Have been away for a while, getting on with life (work, insurance claims, that kind of thing) and only just coming up for air. Hope everyone's well.

Today I'm trying out Shalimar PdT, trying to decide how it compares to the extrait and vintage EdP. So far it seems a bit leaner somehow, not as plush, which in fact suits me just fine. Does that sound right, or is my nose deceiving me?

Oh, and ClaireV - you're right to watch Xscent carefully. She's a tricky one Have you considered the art of occlumency?
    Last edited by saminlondon; 4th June 2014 at 10:51 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Good morning, all!

Have been away for a while, getting on with life (work, insurance claims, that kind of thing) and only just coming up for air. Hope everyone's well.

Today I'm trying out Shalimar PdT, trying to decide how it compares to the extrait and vintage EdP. So far it seems a bit leaner somehow, not as plush, which in fact suits me just fine. Does that sound right, or is my nose deceiving me?

Oh, and ClaireV - you're right to watch Xscent carefully. She's a tricky one Have you considered the art of occlumency?
    Hello Sam! Nope, not only had I not considered the art of occlumency but I had to look it up to find out what that was! I found this:

Severus Snape: "Occlumency, Potter. The magical defense of the mind against external penetration. An obscure branch of magic, but a highly useful one"

So, yes, that seems highly appropriate in this instance.

Also, good to hear your thoughts on the Shalimar PDT. Isn't that just the term that Guerlain uses to describe their EDPs, or does it imply a vintage version of the EDP?

Basenotes Plus

Oh Roberto, you smell gorgeous as always!! Come sit by me.

Natori eau de parfum for me today. Beautiful floral-oriental with the loveliest plum note.

Best to all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

hello all,
    vintage

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

((())) Back atcha, Shades. I often think of you and the good you do.
    Loved the lady in the curlers, Jon. I think I understand her.
    (((Claire))) You're so sweet. I believe everyone here has shocked themselves for having spent more money on a single bottle of fragrance than they've ever dreamed. (You've earn a BN merit badge.) Thoroughly understand the jobless panic. Worry is a muscle, and it's possible to develop it to Schwarzeneggerian proportions. But how would I know?
    Saminlondon, please provide further instructions in occlumency.
    Xscent, you predicted it. Lists? There are the paper ones, the Mac Stickies ones, and the Evernote ones across Mac and Kindle platforms. We're like a couple of old beagles, you and I, over the thrill of the hunt. House Hunters International has a guaranteed audience in the Mr. and me. I think Shades is addicted to HH, too.
    So, yes, Ryregne, share every detail of your condo mission. Our daughter has her heart set on a particular building a mile south of us near a scenic dam and farmers market—she wants the luxury of indoor parking and an indoor pool. The short-sale/bank-owned units have sold for as little as $60,000, so that's why we're laying in wait to pounce on one.

It's cool and cloud covered out there, so Hon-Buns is already on the scaffolding at 6 a.m., and I'm heading out to finish fitting wet newspapers and wood mulch around the raspberries. I've sprayed Boucheron edp across my shirt. What a sunny and uplifting fragrance. I think it's taken for granted because it's been around for so long and because it's readily available in the general marketplace. Good strength, good projection, offensive to no one, yet with personality and a complete top, heart, and base note experience. Let's hear it for good ol' Boucheron.

In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Hello all. Caron Fleurs de Rocaille.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post
    Morning All! In my all-time favorite Bois des Iles today! I won a 6ml bottle of vintage extract for 50 euros on EvilBay last week, so let's cross all our fingers that it's still good when it gets here!

Ipp - ah, another HG for me, Shaal Nur. I love that stuff. Is the vintage better than the current? I have only sampled the current. I bought a partial bottle of it from a fellow Basenoter a while back and am still waiting for it to arrive.

Big hugs to Quarry! I love the way you write about the wonderful place you live in, Quarry! Sorry you are going through an unsettling time of flux with the people coming in and out. But change is good. In a few weeks, things will have settled and you will be able to appreciate everything more. You will miss your daughter when she's moved out!

Jon - we were scent twins yesterday in Andy Tauer's Incense Rose and you never even noticed, SNIFF!

ErinK - Come on now, we need the full story. Spill.

Mike - I seem to remember that you promised us all a good (and long) yarn about the Apres L'Ondee extrait you just won. I have been waiting patiently for the story, but I am now calling time on you, my friend. Spill.

Xscent - I don't know how this is possible, but your spirit seems to have occupied my body recently. I have bid on and won vintage extraits of Chanel No. 22 and Bois des Iles on EvilBay in the last two weeks (with absolutely NO IDEA if what I am buying is a good deal or even real or anything) and I also bought a bathtub sized bottle of Cuir de Russie EDT (gently used) for more money than I thought I would ever pay for a bottle of perfume. I am blaming you. Somehow you have taken over my mind and are pushing all the buttons on my self-control and the digits on my credit card. STOP IT RIGHT NOW WOMAN

Part of this crazy drive to buy up all the perfume I love is that I have learned that my job is definitely ending in August. So, I am deep in existential panic that I will never have an income with which to buy perfume ever again, hence the sudden splurge on bottles/decants of my favorites. I have never NOT worked, if you know what I mean, and the idea of suddenly not earning money is frightening the living daylights out of me!

I've never tried the current version, Claire (only the current Heliotrope, which was disappointing) so it's being treasured
    Hope you enjoy yours when it arrives!
    Last edited by lpp; 4th June 2014 at 12:30 PM.

Original Vetiver

Hey y'all!

ClaireV, love the Snape quote.

Xscent, I'm lemming Mito hard these days - haven't tried it yet. Also, thinking you need to try Oriza Legrand Chypre Mousse -have you added it to your sniff list yet?

My Basenotes ad banners these days are showing me Saks advertisements for Victor & Rolf Bonbon. From what I've read, it's most certainly NOT my taste but darn it, that's about the cutest bottle I've ever seen.

**Skip this next part if you're understandably uninterested in reading about my personal life.**

OK, so here goes....at the risk of sounding totally melodramatic I think I may have met my soul mate. Yeah, I said it. We met at a dog park when I was home over Memorial Day - it was a textbook meet cute. His lab jumped into me, nearly knocking me down, and we started talking and instantly hit it off. Our lives have so many parallels I couldn't even have made it up in my dreams. He lives in Kentucky, so we're staying in touch and getting to know each other, but we're both sort of in disbelief that we met. It seems the stars were aligned for us.

And wouldn't you know it, all of a sudden I have 3 friends trying to set me up with 3 different guys here in NC, all highly successful and attractive men. That thing about feast or famine, well, it's the truth. I live in the worst place to try to date in the whole continental US, I finally have 3 more-than-decent prospects,and now here I am falling for a penniless sitar player* who lives nine hours away. I'm planning on talking to my boss's boss today or soon about the possibility of me moving back home and telecommting.

OK, back to the business at hand: scent of the day!

In FM Iris Poudre. (((cello)))

*Movie reference not meant to be taken literally.
    Last edited by ErinK; 4th June 2014 at 02:26 PM.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

I am inadvertently scent-twinned with Quarry today in the Boucheron EDP. It is quite lovely, sort of perfectly done floral, balanced, classic.

Happy Wednesday, good smelling people!

Sam must you go giving away all my secrets? Oh go on then, it’s one of the more innocent ones.

((ClaireV)) sweetness, I’m not one bit sorry for utilising occlumency especially if the result is you getting your mitts on those vintage lovelies and CdR in bathtub size. So in short, you’re welcome. While I knowledge your request to stop, my answer is a firm and loving no. I plan to continue until a big flacon of UFdC stills in pride of place in your fragrance wardrobe. I have come to realise that caring for yourself (this includes buying perfume) is not selfish, its self preservation (ErinK this applies to you too). May I also add that as someone who has worked since she was a teen, I understand the jobless fear. When I took a period of unpaid leave I found that the world doesn’t end, the things that matter cannot be bought and money works for me not the other way around. You have talents and skills and there will be other jobs.

Quarry fellow house hound and list maker, I have used many devices and methods over the years in the pursuit of list making nirvana but none satisfies more than a pen and paper. All the ticks, notes and crossing out of tasks completed, amended and re-prioritised is a special geeky joy. I like your daughters plan, here’s a thought if you can swing it buy two and start a property portfolio.

SotE time and the winner is Bal à Versaille, vintage EdC. Heady orange blossom, rose with a tickle of leather, tar and vanilla that come together and gives the impression of soft musky powder on warm clean skin. So beautifully naughty.

------------------Update-------------------
    Had to pop in quickly after reading ErinK's personal life update. It really is feast or famine or in your case a whole freakin' buffet to choose from. Hoping the talk with the boss goes well. Big (((hugs))) m'dear.
    Last edited by Xscent; 4th June 2014 at 03:12 PM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Basenotes Institution

From a sample:

Limed by Madhat Scents

I love it!

ClaireV - you crack me up. OK I promise more details on the ALO very soon. I promise. I do. ((puppy dog eyes))
    Xscent - thanks. Dating can be fun, God knows it's not always the case lol
    Quarry - here here for Boucheron (never smelled it, I must admit!)
    kalli - I actually luuuurve Tuberose Gardenia, but I love gardenia a lot, so maybe that's why
    saminlondon - I have never compared vintage EdP and PdT of Shalimar (I own vintage PdT), I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on the two. Last night I wore the PdT to bed, gosh I love that stuff
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Wearing Frank 2 LA on this gloomy day...a boozy one that I really enjoy.

Quarry, that sounds like a lovely area your daughter is looking in. I'm looking in a large square area, from the Northern Chicago Burbs to South and a little West...prices for townhomes are all over the place depending on the area. My parents live pretty far west in a really lovely area along the Fox River, but the drive to work is not a fun one and public transportation is not an option. In there area $200K buys you a lot of home and yard.

But, I think I'd rather sacrifice size and the yard for location. I'm not entirely ruling out a nice condo in the area either, it seems that condos took the biggest hit in this area as well during the housing bubble burst...so good deals are pretty easy to find. My father keeps telling me I should look for a home, but home prices are not what I expected. $200K gets you a small yard, home that needs a lot of work and about 900sq ft...

Mike, Blackbird is an awesome scent! Seriously one of my recent favorites - I have a review of it here. I got a hold of Precious Woods as well, it's a nice scent...smells like quality sandalwood and what seems to be a green frankincense note which might actually be a really light dose of pine. Glad you've found someone promising, it's always a refreshing feeling isn't it!

Hope everyone has a great day!
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Basenotes Plus

By Henry1025

April Aromatics Rosenlust

Have a great day, everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Giving Jon an olfactory break and wearing Gardénia parfum for ballet tonight. Not trace of skank in this one, it's JFP.
    How considerate . You smell as pure as driven snow

Jon - we were scent twins yesterday in Andy Tauer's Incense Rose and you never even noticed, SNIFF! !
    How did I miss that . I will be wearing Bois des Iles this evening in an effort to make amends.

Currently enjoying the lingering effects of this morning's choice - Carthusia Uomo.

Erin, hope everything goes OK with the boss (and the personal stuff too, of course - keep us posted )

Mrs Q / Xscent - a little trivia for your perusal regarding yesterday's formidable character (the programme was actually filmed just 15 minutes drive from where I grew up).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ob...s-1128233.html
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 4th June 2014 at 03:40 PM.

Serge Lutens Bas de Soie

Amouage Ciel Man
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Also, good to hear your thoughts on the Shalimar PDT. Isn't that just the term that Guerlain uses to describe their EDPs, or does it imply a vintage version of the EDP?
    It's what the EdPs were called when they first appeared, so yes, it means vintage.

It's funny, I'm not finding the Shalimar PdT very strong. Maybe it's just a question of age or storage, but I was expecting something a lot of darker and smokier. Lovely stuff, though.

Montauk by Bond No.9

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Bois des Iles.

Claire

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Wednesday, 4 June, 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Oh Roberto, you smell gorgeous as always!! Come sit by me.

Natori eau de parfum for me today. Beautiful floral-oriental with the loveliest plum note.

Best to all.

Thanks very much Terry. You also smell marvelous

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Blog Entries

Wearing Poison this evening, just a couple of dabs of the Esprit de Parfum, from a sample sent to me a while back by a generous basenoter.
    l couldn't stand this fragrance when everyone oversprayed it back in the eighties, but applied this way it's a lovely soft, warm, honeyed floral on me.

Erin; l await the next instalment with interest.

Fredric Malle French Lover

" When your ready to quit, you're 1/2 way there"
    Using Tapatalk

happy is the bleu heart<3

I am testing Ombre Indigo today. It's based on a photograph of shadows and water. The scent is very true to all the shades of blue in picture, and what a perfect name for me! It's very incense-y, but cool and sheer. Absolutely fascinating and I think I could be in love!

Notes: petit-grain bigarade, absolute tuberose, saffron, plum, vetiver essence, papyrus essence, leather, incense, benzoin resin, amber, musk
    shadow.jpg

hugs to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Ooh, I'm tickled to hear the happy romantic news for Erin and Mike. Enjoy these days.

Today it's rainy and in the 50s where I live, so I am wearing the real No. 5 today, after enjoying Eau Première yesterday. Mike, I confess to loving them both. How nice to be able to choose either.

Ryngne, you sound very sensible. It's an old real estate maxim, "location, location, location," but there's a reason everyone says it. I'm sending you a PM, too.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Neil Morris Fragrances Afire tonight
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I wore Amouage Reflection Man to church and now ending the night with Montecristo.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

My SOTE is Harrods For Him by Bond No.9

Basenotes Institution

Hermessence Epice Marine by Hermes

"The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle