Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance Safari.

On my days off from work, I like to go on what I call a "Fragrance Safari," which is where I visit several wholesalers and drug stores looking for discontinued colognes, or to look at others that I've been on the fence about buying. What I was wondering was how other members here on Basenotes go about getting new items for their collections. I find that scouting around all over town just to see what I can find is a hell of a lot of fun to me, and when I discover some new out of the way little shop full of colognes I've never seen, I swear I feel like Indiana Jones when he finds that gold idol inside the cave! I'm wondering if I'm the lone crazy guy running around beating the bushes for new and interesting additions to my collection, or if this is pretty much par-for-the-course when it comes to collecting?

Default Re: Fragrance Safari.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega1185 View Post
    What I was wondering was how other members here on Basenotes go about getting new items for their collections.
    When I was young I would do what you do frequently. Now I simply scout online for what I want, wherever it may be and pay whatever I have to pay to get it in order to add it to my collection which is now 40 years strong.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I also mainly purchase online. But I must admit it's more enjoyable to scout an area for in store bargains or new untried scents. It's hard for me to find the time nowadays.
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

I shop online or once I find out a store has a certain fragrance, I go and purchase from them.

My scouting is done through samples ...occasionally I will and have done as you do but very rarely.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

When travelling to big cities (Paris and NYC being the best ones), I also like to go to good perfume stores and smell as much as possible, returning with dozens of smelling strip. I usually don't do online samples, it's all hunting trips, so to speak. I wish I could do more hunting for discontinued/vintage, but there are simply too few stores anymore.

cacio

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Hey, I used to do that a lot. I'd be the only one in the store looking at old bottles or testers and smelling whatever piques my interest. But I'd avoid places with pushy SAs unless that happens to be the only place selling the fragrance I was looking to sample. But buying samples online allow me to test at leisure and helps cut down on those impulsive purchases.

I try to purchase solely from independent outlets where I am not followed from pillar to post and where I know the SA's. It's a great experience - especially when there is lots of new releases or a brand new line to test.

I fortunately live near the Scent Bar in Los Angeles, I go there for everything scent related

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    When I was young I would do what you do frequently. Now I simply scout online for what I want, wherever it may be and pay whatever I have to pay to get it in order to add it to my collection which is now 40 years strong.
    I believe I've seen a photo of your collection that you posted last year Hednic, instead of a gold idol, it's more along the lines of that giant wherehouse where they hid the ark at the end of Raiders, very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    When travelling to big cities (Paris and NYC being the best ones), I also like to go to good perfume stores and smell as much as possible, returning with dozens of smelling strip. I usually don't do online samples, it's all hunting trips, so to speak. I wish I could do more hunting for discontinued/vintage, but there are simply too few stores anymore.

cacio
    Look for wholesalers in your area. They're usually hidden in industrial parks or ratty parts of town, but you can usually find their location online. The savings arre sometimes beyond belief, yesterday I picked up a bottle of Kokorico for fourteen bucks! Well worth the scouting around.

cacio
    Time is also something that I have vety little of these days, but that simply makes the excursion all the sweeter, especially when I hit paydirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Hey, I used to do that a lot. I'd be the only one in the store looking at old bottles or testers and smelling whatever piques my interest. But I'd avoid places with pushy SAs unless that happens to be the only place selling the fragrance I was looking to sample. But buying samples online allow me to test at leisure and helps cut down on those impulsive purchases.
    I hear ya, I cannot stand pushy salespeople. The one thing I learned to put up with during my safaris is that the people working at the wholesale wearhouses usually know nothing about what they're selling, it's just product to them. This can work to your advantage however, because I've scored some very nice, hard to find colognes for a song, that had they been on sale at a perfume shop owned by somebody that knew what they were doing, would have cost me a small fortune.

I went on another frag safari and just scored another bottle of vintage Dune for Men at a duty free near the border for the ridiculous price of thirty bucks American! I had to do a "buy two bottles to get the lower price, but since they had a lot of diffrent fragrances on sale at diffrent prices I also got a bottle of Narciso Rodriguez for him musc collection eau de parfum for 25 bucks, but that was only so I could get the Dune so cheap. I checked the bar codes on "Raiders of the lost scent" and it reads 2K02, which according to their batchcode chart is a bottle from 2002. Not a bad haul, I'm very pleased with my purchace, and there is another bottle there that has a longer list of ingredients that I'm sure it's pretty old too, probably 2005 or 2006, because the first bottle I bought there two weeks ago has a 2004 date and it also has a very short and simple ingredients list, so I might go back and get that one too; Vintage bottles must be preserved for future generations at all costs!
    Last edited by Omega1185; 10th June 2014 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    My scouting is done through samples ...occasionally I will and have done as you do but very rarely.
    Do you purchase the full bottle if you like the sample?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Speaking of impulsive purchases, I went down to the wholesalers before work today to buy a bottle of Caesar's man for my boss, kind of as a joke because the box looks so tacky. Well, I ended up also buying a bottle of the older formula Cerruti 1881, a bottle that I gifted last year because I decided I didn't like, but since they reformulated it I want the older one for my collection, and also a bottle of Caesar's man cologne for myself because when I smelled the sample bottle I was blown away by how good this stuff is, it reminded me of the old Drakkar from the eighties.

cacio
    I like your style!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Omega1185 View Post
    I believe I've seen a photo of your collection that you posted last year Hednic, instead of a gold idol, it's more along the lines of that giant wherehouse where they hid the ark at the end of Raiders, very impressive.
    Isn't that the truth! Hednic is going to have to annex that vault pretty soon. I hope he's got the plans drawn up!

Update: Well, I went out hunting again last week and scored a bottle of Polo Modern reserve, which I've been trying for a few days and really like. I also spotted a bottle of Montana in a splash bottle that I might get, seeing as it's only ten bucks at a wholesaler. Forty bottles and growing.