Code of Conduct

Default Do you buy testers from sites like fragrancenet etc.?

I was wondering if anybody had reasons as to why they wouldn't buy a tester?

Testers are usually unboxed right? Wouldn't this mean someone could potentially mess with the bottle/juice? I'm not saying it's poisoned but you know weirder things have happened.

What do you think/feel about this? I've never ordered a tester from an online cologne site.

Default Re: Do you buy testers from sites like fragrancenet etc.?

"Do you buy testers from sites like fragrancenet etc.?"

Yes. Quite a few times and never a problem. My only issue is that most often testers do not have a cap. Sometimes that bothers me but at a great price I get over it quickly.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Yes. One of them didn't came filled to the top though.

I have purchased many testers (both high and lower end fragrances) and have never had a problem.

It's a great way to save some money, and sometimes, it's the only way to get exactly what I want.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...ns-L-deCerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

I frequently purchase testers from online retailers, along with fully boxed fragrances and I must say that, so far, never noticed anything affecting the longevity, the box/bottle etc.

Sometimes testers are the only way to get a fragrance that has been discontinued or is otherwise unavailable.
    I've ordered two testers so far, one from Beautyencounter and one from Fragrancenet:
    Annick Goutal's Ambre Fetiche and Serge Lutens' Borneo 1834, respectively, and they've both been in pristine condition (neither came with a box). Couldn't have been happier.
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

Quite a few times. Fragrancenet, Ebay, Amazon and a few others. All good deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Fhaoilgeal View Post
    Sometimes testers are the only way to get a fragrance that has been discontinued or is otherwise unavailable.
    I've ordered two testers so far, one from Beautyencounter and one from Fragrancenet:
    Annick Goutal's Ambre Fetiche and Serge Lutens' Borneo 1834, respectively, and they've both been in pristine condition (neither came with a box). Couldn't have been happier.
    Good point. The only way I have been able to get true vintage M7 was as a tester. Sealed boxes cost a lot more and without seeing the bottle you might end up with the first reformulation, which happened to me once.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Never
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Paranoid Parrot much? lol

You have to ask yourself, why would a site like fragrancenet mess with the bottle? And if they were really intent on doing this, would the cap really and box really be a deterrent? That's actually the easy part, removing the wrapping and cap and putting it back together.
    Are they going to empty out half the juice, fill it with alcohol and then sell diluted testers to get an extra $20-30 or so? Where do they get the empty bottles to transfer it to? Think of the time and effort taken to achieve this. They would need a team of people dedicated to doing this to make it worth their while. The art of removing the sprayer without damaging it and then having to replace and adhere it without any signs of tampering. Or would they fill it with fake juice? Wouldn't it be easier for them to simply purchase fakes and sell those? And what about people noticing, how do they do it so well that people cant tell?

Im really baffled by this kind of thinking, its like people who ask on auction listings "Is this authentic or a copy?" and then make a decision based on an answer they have no proof of whether its true or not.

If you're really concerned about this type of thing, buy from stores only and you wont have to worry.
    Last edited by L'eaulita; 7th June 2014 at 06:55 AM.

I have bought testers many times (outside of the EU). They are a really good way to get rare or discontinued perfumes as already stated.
    Some come with caps, more often without; I am not sure if that poses a problem regarding evaporating or turning. Normally the testers come in plain boxes, sometimes they are just made of cardboard. I never had any problems with the content.
    However testers are now forbidden to sell in the EU...

Most of the time, I'd go with the regular boxed and capped bottles if the difference in prices are not that much <20%. Something about a bottle with no cap just ticks my OCD off...

That asides, I do have testers, esp. those I can get my grubby hands on for way less than the regular ones, or those with really plain caps.

I am not a fan of testers, unless it comes with a cap, is hard to find, and a good price. I have only 3 testers in my large collection.

No, always retail.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I never go out of my way to buy testers. Maybe it's just pure shallowness on my part, but they feel kind of cheap and ugly to me. Besides, I hardly ever see testers for fragrances I want that are really at such a reduced price that I'd buy them rather than shop around for a real bottle. Plus the resale value of testers is, I think, lower than real bottles.

I don't know. Depends on the fragrance and the deal I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by L'eaulita View Post

You have to ask yourself, why would a site like fragrancenet mess with the bottle? And if they were really intent on doing this, would the cap really and box really be a deterrent? That's actually the easy part, removing the wrapping and cap and putting it back together.
    Are they going to empty out half the juice, fill it with alcohol and then sell diluted testers to get an extra $20-30 or so? Where do they get the empty bottles to transfer it to? Think of the time and effort taken to achieve this. They would need a team of people dedicated to doing this to make it worth their while. The art of removing the sprayer without damaging it and then having to replace and adhere it without any signs of tampering. Or would they fill it with fake juice? Wouldn't it be easier for them to simply purchase fakes and sell those? And what about people noticing, how do they do it so well that people cant tell?

Im really baffled by this kind of thinking, its like people who ask on auction listings "Is this authentic or a copy?" and then make a decision based on an answer they have no proof of whether its true or not.

If you're really concerned about this type of thing, buy from stores only and you wont have to worry.
    Why is it wrong to ask? What's wrong with asking people what their experience is? Zzzz

I've bought most of my lutens as testers with caps from fragrancenet. Absolutely no complaints so far.

Quote Originally Posted by L'eaulita View Post

I use FragranceNet and FragranceX and have never had a problem, and I agree they are likely not in the business of selling fakes. Though a couple of times tassles and odd pieces have been missing (e.g. the little tassle on Dirty English was absent on my last purchase). I think the main problem with buying from them is their leninent return policy, which is good in some respects but essentially opens up the possibility of goods being tampered with or swapped for fakes and returned. I do believe they reshrinkwrap boxes to make them appear unopened. So I think, whilst rare, it can be valid to be concerned about authenticity, and this can be translated not only to online purchases but even in department stores that also accept returns.

I do sometimes If I don't feel like doing a blind buy straight off.

Not if I can purchase live product... I will if it's something very hard to find...