Code of Conduct

Default I'm Loving Luten's Chene...... It's Going Onto The Bottle Worthy List

I 've just applied this scent to my skin from a sample and I'm loving it. The smell of oak with a beautiful rum accord and a birch note making the scent lighter and more aromatic. It makes you smell like you have had a sneaky tipple of Captain Morgans Rum in a wood work shop. Very nice!

After sampling Ambre Sultan and Chergui years ago I kind of wrote off this house as not to my taste and avoided their fragrances.

But after sampling sixteen or so samples recently I put Five O`Clock Au Gingembre onto a bottle worthy list and Chene is going onto that list as well. I have samples of Borneo 1834, Fumerie Turque, Iris Silver Mist and Santal Majuscule that I have yet to sample. I wonder if any of them are worthy too?

Default Re: I'm Loving Luten's Chene...... It's Going Onto The Bottle Worthy List

I've only sampled Chene once, but I fell in love with it immediately. It has been on my "to buy" list for quite some time. Perhaps this fall, I will end up with a bottle of it in my collection!

I also own a bottle of Five O'Clock as well. I blind bought it on a whim, and I am glad I did. It's one of those that I thought I would like based on the notes, and I was right. I am slightly disappointed in its performance, but that's not a big deal for this type of fragrance.

Default Re: I'm Loving Luten's Chene...... It's Going Onto The Bottle Worthy List

Both of those Lutens are very nice scents IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I like the way the wood and sweetness merge to give you a sweet smoky woody scent. It's done just right in that it does not get too sweet. I love woody fragrances and this is really evocative.

I think Borneo 1834 is the best of those and (probably) my favorite from them from the 15 or so I've sampled.

I used to do tree work and the ropes we used for climbing, rigging, etc., would give off a specific musky aroma, associated with trees, primarily oak. I loved the smell, so unlike anything. I tried Chene out of curiosity, not expecting to get anything nearly as realistic. I was wrong. I used up the sample in no time, and soon after, a full bottle. Love it in the autumn and winter.

Thanks for the info Jack.

Definitely seems like a worthwhile purchase, only thing NOW is who is selling it here in the States??

update: only The direct us serge lutens website carries it for $300 Buckaroos for 75ml , gotta sample then , I thought maybe $150 or so guess I was wrong.

i do want the 50ml bottle though but no longer made.
    Last edited by magnus611; 9th June 2014 at 02:47 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Definitely seems like a worthwhile purchase, only thing NOW is who is selling it here in the States??
    http://us.sergelutens.com/chene.html

I used to own a bottle, and I loved the opening, but unfortunately the dry down was ruined after I made the "pencil shavings" association from LT's review.

If you like Chene (which I do), you might like Sova by Slumberhouse. I know you had some mixed reactions to that house as well, but I find it to be at least kind of similar. Both very nice!
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Where can you still get it? I wanted a backup bottle but thought you couldn't get the export bottle any more....

Basenotes Plus

I've been interested in cedre, have you sampled that one and if so, what do you think?
    Current rotation:

Ciel Man
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    L'Homme
    Scandal Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    If you like Chene (which I do), you might like Sova by Slumberhouse. I know you had some mixed reactions to that house as well, but I find it to be at least kind of similar. Both very nice!
    The Slumberhouse style has not been to my taste. Out of four I have tried I only really liked Ore. Will have to look out for a sample of Sova. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    I've been interested in cedre, have you sampled that one and if so, what do you think?
    I have not tried that one as yet. Will have to obtain a sample and see how I fare.

SL sent me a nice size sample of Cedre. It's a nice, fresh scent.

Five O'clock Gingembre, however... not good. It's a ginger bomb, and I don't like ginger. And I still do not understand the love for Chergui.

His so called woody scents, Cedre, Chene, Fille en Aguilles, we're all too sweet and not woody enough for me. Maybe I need to revisit them because I gave up on them pretty quickly. Sultan and Gingembre I like, although Gingembre wasn't quite FBW for me. Did not get Chergui at all. I like the house overall, but generally have an aversion to sweetness which makes them more scents I admire but can't wear.
    Last edited by Darjeeling; 7th June 2014 at 03:02 AM.
    Just say no to oniomania.

I agree about Cedre, it's nice, not bad, but it is too sweet.

Not that easy to find but Santal de Mysore is a favorite of mine. Worth seeking oit a sample of.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I fell in love with Chene quite a while back overseas, but never able to follow up wearing as it is not available here. It is ahead of my preferences for Fille - if only the sweetness, and Five o'clock I also like. I don't mind the ginger here. But with Chene I don't remember any negatives at all. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Chene is one of Serge's overlooked masterpieces.

for swap/sale:

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Five O Clock au Gingembre is indeed excellent. I have only smelled Chene once but I wasn't into woods scents then so it left little impression on me. Will have to sample this further.

Of the remaining samples, I don't find them bottleworthy. Not that they are bad or anything but more a case of performance issues. For instance I respect Iris Silver Mist as a reference iris scent but it gets rather tiresome when worn all day. Fumerie Turque has an interesting opening but on my skin it falls apart rather quickly. YMMV of course.

for swap/sale:

I've tried quite a bit from this house, they have quite an extensive line up, and for the most part, only about 5-10% of their stuff would be bottle worthy to me. Chene is definitley one of them, really good sweet woodsy fragrance.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    +1

Both Chêne & 5 O'clock are great. Most SL are sweet, and heavy, I can see why people do not like them.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

No longer available in the 50ml bottles I believe. I spent ages looking and finally found one in a small perfumery in the West Country, their last in stock.

Think it's available on Barney's website.

I didn't care for Cedre for similar reasons as others. If I recall, doesn't Chene have some pencil shavings in the dry down? I really liked this one, but for some reason, failed to explore it. Thanks for reminding us of this house!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the tip. I have samples of 5 oclock and gris clair ready to crack open. I love Chergui so much I had to explore SL further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one is soooo good ... yet nearly impossible to find at a discount (if you can find it at all). Love it!

Basenotes Institution

One of my favorite SL "wood" scents. I have no idea why I don't own a bottle.

There is a note in it that reminds me of crystallized wood flavored rock candy. It's hard to put into words.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    No longer available in the 50ml bottles I believe. I spent ages looking and finally found one in a small perfumery in the West Country, their last in stock.
    Barney's has plenty of 50ml!s ..as soon as I'm done with my 20ml , I will be getting a FB, to think about it I will probably be getting in 2weeks or so , as I don't wanna take a chance....this stuff is tops with the oak, rum and a tinge of fruitiness it's a Master Piece IMHO ...
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Barney's has plenty of 50ml!s ..as soon as I'm done with my 20ml , I will be getting a FB, to think about it I will probably be getting in 2weeks or so , as I don't wanna take a chance....this stuff is tops with the oak, rum and a tinge of fruitiness it's a Master Piece IMHO ...
    No Barney's in Cornwall last time I looked

I think Chene went to bell jar only some time ago, so I'd pounce on those.

I actually just purchased a 50 ml of Chene from Barney's on Madison. I called the local Chicago store, they immediately transferred me to NY and I had it purchased over the phone within 5 minutes. I must compliment them, they are efficient and accommodating. Andrew, the SA for the NY-Madison Ave location, was cool enough to include two liquid samples as well (wax, meh...). My requested MKK and also Claire Musc. Still undecided on CL, but MKK is certainly going to be a Fall FB purchase. And likely my second and final Lutens.
    Last edited by krooze; 2nd July 2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: proper grammar

As much as I love how Chene smells, I do feel that it's too thin.

Miel de Bois is in the same mood than Chêne ...( with a stronger note of honey )

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I 've just applied this scent to my skin from a sample and I'm loving it. The smell of oak with a beautiful rum accord and a birch note making the scent lighter and more aromatic. It makes you smell like you have had a sneaky tipple of Captain Morgans Rum in a wood work shop. Very nice!

After sampling Ambre Sultan and Chergui years ago I kind of wrote off this house as not to my taste and avoided their fragrances.

But after sampling sixteen or so samples recently I put Five O`Clock Au Gingembre onto a bottle worthy list and Chene is going onto that list as well. I have samples of Borneo 1834, Fumerie Turque, Iris Silver Mist and Santal Majuscule that I have yet to sample. I wonder if any of them are worthy too?
    Where did you buy these Lutens (spray?) samples? Essenza Nobile?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by krooze View Post
    I actually just purchased a 50 ml of Chene from Barney's on Madison. I called the local Chicago store, they immediately transferred me to NY and I had it purchased over the phone within 5 minutes. I must compliment them, they are efficient and accommodating. Andrew, the SA for the NY-Madison Ave location, was cool enough to include two liquid samples as well (wax, meh...). My requested MKK and also Claire Musc. Still undecided on CL, but MKK is certainly going to be a Fall FB purchase. And likely my second and final Lutens.
    Good to know krooze, thanks! What was the price ($)?

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Good to know krooze, thanks! What was the price ($)?
    $140

Basenotes Institution

Thank you sir

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    As much as I love how Chene smells, I do feel that it's too thin.
    +1

And most of the Lutens stuff has been reformulated as well. Who knows what's it's like now. Just bought a decant of the most recent Fumerie Turque which while still recognizable, lacks the density and semi-dry, smoky qualities it once had, making it a powder puff reminiscent of my grandmother's bathroom.
    Last edited by pluran; 3rd July 2014 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Where did you buy these Lutens (spray?) samples? Essenza Nobile?
    I got them from a new UK based decant online store called Scent Samples.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    One of my favorite SL "wood" scents. I have no idea why I don't own a bottle.

There is a note in it that reminds me of crystallized wood flavored rock candy. It's hard to put into words.
    Yes! That is a great description.....I get the same feeling, I think

Anyone know where I can find this now? It was available a few months ago. Now, very hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Would agree with that assessment.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Borneo, Chene, ISM, and Chergui et al was the golden period of Serge Lutens. After trying the last several lutens: My how the mighty have fallen..
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Borneo, Chene, ISM, and Chergui et al was the golden period of Serge Lutens. After trying the last several lutens: My how the mighty have fallen..
    Without Christopher Sheldrake around to hand out a band-aid...

Found a 50ml bottle. On the way.

I love Chene! I always use the name Drunk Oak when people ask me what I'm wearing.

Chene is an excellent fragrance, ordered mine from a Middle Eastern place, but it's quite hard to find, now.

I haven't smelled the recent juice, but Chene has always been one of the lighter fragrances of the line; transparently woody, delicately tannic, somewhat airy in an autumnal vein.

Most Lutens are worth smelling, even if they don't work magic for you.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Chene is an excellent fragrance, ordered mine from a Middle Eastern place, but it's quite hard to find, now.
    It's readily available at Barney's (50ml, including online) and SL own online store (only the 75ml bell jar bottle).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't smelled the recent juice, but Chene has always been one of the lighter fragrances of the line; transparently woody, delicately tannic, somewhat airy in an autumnal vein.

Good to see you posting!

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Institution

Sup?!

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    You're sure so right, sorry to say. However, though it doesn't work on me, love Gris Clair on the mrs.