Code of Conduct

Default Do you think longevity will forever be poor from now on? (generally)

I haven't tried many niche so I don't know if this applies to those scents in that category but...

I noticed that many of the colognes today last about 3-5 hours, and within those last two hours it is only detectable if I bury my nose. To me, that really discourages me from purchasing a fragrance. I'd like to get a minumum of 6 hours (and by that I don't mean the last 2-3 hours hardly project). I love John Varvatos, but it doesn't really last. D&G the one? Lasts 3-4 hours. I'm sure my skin is part of the culprit, but we have to admit this can be resolved by "powering up" the fragrances. La Nuit lasts on me for hours, and gets stronger. Amen is another good example, even though my skin hinders the longevity these fragrances deliver how cologne ought to deliver.

So, why do you think this is? Is it so people use more juice and as a result purchase the cologne again? Is it just quality going down due to the weakness of the dollar? Is it regulations? Do you think it'll ever go back to the powerhouse or semi powerhouse type fragrances?

Default Re: Do you think longevity will forever be poor from now on? (generally)

the same could be said for everything sold at stores now, society doesn't produce quality goods anymore, niche lines usually have better products however!

Default Re: Do you think longevity will forever be poor from now on? (generally)

I would say just continue sampling different fragrances until you get the desired longevity you're seeking and then purchase the bottle.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

My only advice is to diversify testing as much as possible and counteract the noticed decrease of longevity "by all possible means", including (but not limited to): testing fragrances from the mass market/budget to the niche segment and beyond, trying-if available- to find an intense/concentrated version, flanker of a certain fragrance or its vintage formulation (if the latter becomes available at, e.g., clearance sales), starting to experiment with the essential oils/fragrance oils also usable as scents etc.

I agree with you. maybe its my problem,

Longevity and projection are two qualities of great fragrances, most fragrances I have tried, only last about 2-3 hours, very a few last longer. and that's why I haven't bought many fragrances even though I have the cash in my wallet for months.

Maybe sample some from Malle or MDCI.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

I suggest you try some from Amouage or Profumum Roma. Your faith in the future might be restored.
    Last edited by cologne connoisseur; 7th June 2014 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceAboveSky View Post
    I haven't tried many niche so I don't know if this applies to those scents in that category but...

I noticed that many of the colognes today last about 3-5 hours, and within those last two hours it is only detectable if I bury my nose. To me, that really discourages me from purchasing a fragrance. I'd like to get a minumum of 6 hours (and by that I don't mean the last 2-3 hours hardly project). I love John Varvatos, but it doesn't really last. D&G the one? Lasts 3-4 hours. I'm sure my skin is part of the culprit, but we have to admit this can be resolved by "powering up" the fragrances. La Nuit lasts on me for hours, and gets stronger. Amen is another good example, even though my skin hinders the longevity these fragrances deliver how cologne ought to deliver.

So, why do you think this is? Is it so people use more juice and as a result purchase the cologne again? Is it just quality going down due to the weakness of the dollar? Is it regulations? Do you think it'll ever go back to the powerhouse or semi powerhouse type fragrances?
    My advice would be that try out the fragrances that are tried and tested for longevity. You can find many threads here on this forum. Trying out various samples would be really cumbersome to finalize the best ones.

For new frags it's probably due more to fashion for cleaner and more sedate stuff relative to the powerhouse era of the 70s and 80s. Then of course there is the problem that the powerhouses of the era have been reformulated, in part because of IFRA restrictions, typically reducing the basenotes, which means less longevity.

I dont know - even something as inexpensive as Diesel Plus - Plus last a loooong time for me

Sure, as companies adjust to the restrictions they will still need to pay attention to the desires of consumers - if longevity is important - then longevity will be produced.

You won't say that if you buy a bottle of Amouage Gold Homme or Chanel Anteaus or Tom Ford Tuscan Leather etc. etc.

TF Italian Cypress is also a good one.

I am afraid it will be less as fragrances are reformulated to meet IFRA guidelines. There are rumors of Amouage scents being reformulated and lacking "something". My biggest fear is that we are going into a post classic period where old scents will be a shadow of their past and new scents will lack soul. And that a decade from now nobody will care or know the difference. I am already bored to tears with designer scdnts which mostly smell alike and just don't last.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

True!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    TF Italian Cypress is also a good one.

I disagree. More often than not fragrance style reflects the fashion sensitivities of the times. Macho moustache, chest hair, flared collars of the 70s to early 80s go well with equally potent macho scents like Antaeus, Polo, Zino, etc. Likewise sillage bombs/ powerhouses like Joop! Homme, Obsession, Poison etc match the big hair, shoulder pads, generally loud style of the '80s. Now that it's more about sleek, clean lines, tailored look, fragrances grow anaemic and follow suit. Transparent musks, freshly laundered vibes, even evocative of a tailor's cutting room.

At least that's how one theory goes. There are always exceptions with artisanal perfumers resurrecting old school vintages.

The other theory is simple economics. Repeat sales are more probable if consumers actually finish their bottle of fragrance. The average user tends to spray more to make a fragrance last longer and project a little stronger. So it makes economic sense to keep your fragrance weak and shortlived.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 7th June 2014 at 09:09 AM.

Basenotes Junkie

Varvatos and the one? Try different fragrances. The one has minimal longevity in the best of times.

Rick

Longevity - for the most part - is quite good IMO. Perhaps you are just sniffing the wrong stuff. If you keep huffing the Varvatos selections at the Macys counter, then yes, you will be sadly disappointed. However, there are so many fragrances that have just come out in the last 5 years that last forever. I could easily list 50-100 just off the top of my head that would last 8+ minimum on anyone.

I haven't tried many niche
    And that is part of the problem. You will need to pay a little more (generally) for the EDP/Parfum/Extrait stuff, but you will find that those scents generally last a lot longer.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I disagree. More often than not fragrance style reflects the fashion sensitivities of the times. Macho moustache, chest hair, flared collars of the 70s to early 80s go well with equally potent macho scents like Antaeus, Polo, Zino, etc. Likewise sillage bombs/ powerhouses like Joop! Homme, Obsession, Poison etc match the big hair, shoulder pads, generally loud style of the '80s. Now that it's more about sleek, clean lines, tailored look, fragrances grow anaemic and follow suit. Transparent musks, freshly laundered vibes, even evocative of a tailor's cutting room.

At least that's how one theory goes. There are always exceptions with artisanal perfumers resurrecting old school vintages.

The other theory is simple economics. Repeat sales are more probable if consumers actually finish their bottle of fragrance. The average user tends to spray more to make a fragrance last longer and project a little stronger. So it makes economic sense to keep your fragrance weak and shortlived.

Totaly agree... it's a shame these 2 reasons are making the world of fragrances kinda frustrating to me. Everyday is harder to find a good lasting fragrance, and many of the longer lasting frags I know are getting weaker with every new tweak of their formulas.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basenotes Plus

This
    Seasonal rotation:

Santal Imperial
    Ambre Topkapi
    Rose 31
    Green Irish Tweed
    Original Santal
    Prada Amber PH

Varvatos lasts longer than I'd like on me.
    Just say no to oniomania.

You are right, scents don't last as long as they used to.

There are countless threads here about scents being reformulated (usually due to ingredients being banned because one in a hundred people may sneeze). And the most common comment is that they don't last as long as the original did.

So the newer scents are being made with non-banned ingredients and in general, I wouldn't expect them to last as long as the older ones did. Scents that came out from the mid 2000s onwards, in general, were often less long lasting than what I would have expected from those from before that time.

As for niche scents, apart from a few notable exceptions like Serge Lutens, I think that on average they have less longevity than what on average one would expect from typical designer scents.

Still, there are plenty of long lasting designer scents around. You just have to check them - spray on wrist or back of hand. If they are still there with strength after 3 hours, they'll be fine for a work day's wear.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 8th June 2014 at 03:33 AM.

Chypre Palatin seems to last for an exceptionally long time, as do Portrait of a Lady and the current L'Heure Bleue EdP, so it's still possible to include ingredients allowing this.
    There must be many more.
    Last edited by lpp; 8th June 2014 at 09:11 AM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

all the last outings from designer houses are generic and light and disappointing, niche scent industry was born not by chance!

So basically, society is going downhill. Since it's based on style, and now that this style is coming about

It only makes sense for fragrances to follow the trend, of driving off the cliff. Zzzzzz

Yes to above post. Thanks for those pics. So in other words we are getting front loaded fragrances with skimpy bottoms - i.e. anemic, dull generic basenotes.

So basically, society is going downhill. Since it's based on style, and now that this style is coming about

It only makes sense for fragrances to follow the trend, of driving off the cliff. Zzzzzz

I couldn't a gree more about... whatever the hell that is. I really hope that trend isn't going to take off. But don't presume to match a person / scent - I think a young Roja Dove might fit in quite comfortably with these little fellers above, yet his taste in fragrance is quite the opposite of the scents you are lamenting. When I was in high school, I had quite the preppy look, and wore about 8 sprays of Polo Green everywhere I went. Calling an oakmoss-heavy, 80s style powerhouse scent "manly" - or the people who wear them, doesn't really make it so. It's just the association of who you remember wearing those scents back when they were popular. While I agree some of the fashion trends (like the one above) are a little "odd", the fragrance trends often follow a completely different trajectory from that of clothing.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

I'm a bit surprised you mentioned John Varvartos. The original was a bit of a 'powerhouse' imo.

It may be your skin --- retention capabilities vary

Dougczar, I get what you are saying! Scent can go with many different styles. I think I was just saying the trends that are coming about, altogether (for the most part) suck. As technology gets better, it seems people are cheaping out rather than.... getting better. I'm not saying nothing is good. I like some new stuff.

Kaern, you think so? I do think I have skin that hinders scents.. but do you think John varvatos got reformulated?