Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Storing Cologne - what temps are acceptable?

Hello all, I had a user name a while ago with an email. Lost both and rejoined under a better name, a lot better being my actual name this time. Anyways I'd go through the who intro but I'm sure you've all heard it. Anyways I've always had the belief doing things right the first time and this definitely so with cologne. I have to say you guys are always spot on with your choices, you've always steered me in the right direction. I only have one right now, creed MI but plan on getting more.

So to cut to the chase, I store this in my car. Yes, I know this is one of the most awful things you can do but...

1. A family member is highly allergic to most scents.
    2. I'm a huge car enthusiast, my car has all aluminum trim inside. Thus any heat is amplified. I finally found a way to literally cut the heat in half. I just had llumar ceramic tints installed on every window including the sunroof and windshield, they were $$$$ but even in the sun it gets no more than 75-80 tops. It's very impressive.
    3. It's always stored out of light in the rear center console.

My question is, is 75-80 degrees ok for a cologne such as creed?

Thanks guys

Basenotes Member

Default Re: Storing Cologne - what temps are acceptable?

This is only my opinion, but no, this is to high temperature to store a fragrance in. I would not store anything above 65 degrees Fahrenheit (18 Celsius). But then again, it depends on how fast you use the bottle. If you empty the bottle in a year, then perhaps it does not matter as the perfume won’t have time to go bad.

Mine are stored in the middle 50s F under controlled settings.
    Last edited by hednic; 6th June 2014 at 09:45 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

That seems like a pretty high temp. Can't you just keep an atomizer in your car while keeping the main bottle stored in your house somewhere cool and dark? I understand that you have an highly allergic family member that you're being respectful of, but if you're not spraying inside the house, should be okay. You could even store the bottle in a sealed Ziploc bag or Tupperware container while in the house.

To me I think sunlight/light is more important to keep away from than temp. BUT.....having said that, I still keep mine at constant cool and dark 65*.

Second Theo. I think that a better solution would be to keep an atomizer in a car, and the bottle at home, in a ziploc bag. Of course, replenish the atomizer when you're outside of the house.

cacio

Thanks for the input everyone, Anyone know of a good place to get a quality atomizer?

Quote Originally Posted by J.cipriano View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone, Anyone know of a good place to get a quality atomizer?
    there's a few, but people seem to like this site:

http://accessoriesforfragrances.com/

edit: actually, if you only need 1, you could just go with a Travalo (below is the first amazon link I found... search around for different colors/better prices... should be about 10 bucks)

http://www.amazon.com/Travalo-Womens...GZSTTP0P7827C3
    Last edited by mjones602; 6th June 2014 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J.cipriano View Post
    These are really cheap, and actually work quite well: http://www.pilotvials.com/Plastic-Pe...Atomizers.html
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Brückner - Aoud 1
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Room temperature is fine. Extreme temps and sunlight are what you have to avoid.

Sent from Richard's Ipad

I leave my fragrances boiling on a stove.... Just make sure every 2hours to rotate the batches.

Wear, Wear, Wear all of your fragrances everyone. You all only live once. That's it. You all will not be allowed to be buried with any Windsor, Aventus, Noir de Noir, and others... Including Oud as well.

Now that's out of the way, if you own any high-end niche fragrances do you honestly think it's going to go south on you within 1-year, or even 2-years? I still have my bottles from over 8yrs ago and they still project the same, and last just as long as the day I acquired them. Lastly if it so happens to get bad just give it away to someone else as a good deed of life. You'll make even more smiles.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshSmell View Post
    I leave my fragrances boiling on a stove.... Just make sure every 2hours to rotate the batches.

Wear, Wear, Wear all of your fragrances everyone. You all only live once. That's it. You all will not be allowed to be buried with any Windsor, Aventus, Noir de Noir, and others... Including Oud as well.

Now that's out of the way, if you own any high-end niche fragrances do you honestly think it's going to go south on you within 1-year, or even 2-years? I still have my bottles from over 8yrs ago and they still project the same, and last just as long as the day I acquired them. Lastly if it so happens to get bad just give it away to someone else as a good deed of life. You'll make even more smiles.
    cool story bro, but did you even read the OP? because your response has nothing to do with the question whatsoever lol...

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    cool story bro, but did you even read the OP? because your response has nothing to do with the question whatsoever lol...
    LOL, i sure did...

Thanks
    Last edited by FreshSmell; 7th June 2014 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshSmell View Post

I'm sure our bodies can be sprayed with the fragrance(s) of our choice prior to burial/cremation

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    These are really cheap, and actually work quite well: http://www.pilotvials.com/Plastic-Pe...Atomizers.html
    +1 for Pilot Vials, they are all I use. Great service and product at a terrific price point.

Generally, anything under around 20 degrees centigrade/Celsius, but simultaneously, over zero, preferably sheltered from direct sunlight and in the original boxes and/or bottles did the job excellently so far.

Not to sound like a snob but will storing the cologne in plastic have any effect vs glass? Kind of how anything tastes horrible from a can.

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it.

Some kinds of plastic are apparently permeable by some perfumery ingredients.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Thanks again, I just ordered a bunch of glass mini sprayers. On a side note, how do I get the creed bottles open?