Code of Conduct

Default Reflecting back on my fragrance hobby after 10 years of being a Basenotes member

This month is my 10th anniversary of being a full-fledged member of Basenotes. As a result, it's safe to say that I've become an institution here, even with some hiatuses (the longest one shortly after I got my job in advertising).

There have been plenty of moments that are too good not to tell in the past ten years.
    • Buying my first post-Basenotes fragrance, Mugler Cologne - a scent that is still in my collection and will remain in it until Thierry Mugler quits making it - and maybe longer.
    • Going to college for the first time in a fragrance backwater and learning the joy of fragrance etailers - maybe a bit too much.
    • My first niche and the buying experience that went along with it, back in the days when Neiman Marcus didn't accept "all major credit cards" and me not knowing their policy at the time, assuming that everyone but warehouse clubs accepted anything.
    • Swapping that one niche with another Basenoter for a megaton of Mugler stuff, then giving the "star" of the show (a giant bottle of Angel) to someone who's worn the legend almost since day one.
    • Having the first great fragrance that gave you nightmares - a Guerlain, no less - after a student bathed in it.
    • Moving to Fort Wayne, switching colleges, and curbing my fragrance purchases.
    • A bunch of new things associated with moving, like waiting five years for a Sephora. And forging friendships with vendor reps and SAs at Macy's before and after Sephora opened. And fruitlessly trying to get one of those jobs as a college job while I was waiting to get my degree in marketing.
    • The one-year wait (US vs. Europe) for Gaultier to the Power of Two, further made worse by the fact that one of my father's coworkers was also a vendor rep for Beaute Prestige International USA - the maker of the stuff.
    • Discovering the fragrance sections at TJ Maxx and Marshalls. Who cares if you waste $20 on a fragrance if you can swap it with another Basenoter or give it to a friend? One man's trash is another man's treasure.
    • Smelling Kouros for the first time. Yecch.
    • Smelling Kouros for the second time. Much better.
    • Wearing Black XS for a while, discovering how syrupy sweet a fragrance can be.
    • My first scrubber: Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men. Yes, that first wearing of Kouros was bad, but this made me run back to the bathroom. Kouros only smelled like a bathroom.
    • Almost writing off By Kilian as a house at Bergdorf Goodman. Then, eight months later in the OC, I revisited the line, discovered my all-time favorite scent Straight to Heaven (by Kilian personally, no less - complete with autograph on the case), and then adding two other Kilians in subsequent years. Today, it's my favorite niche house.
    • My second fragrance house head meet-up: Geir Ness of Geir fame. What made this different? Meeting him at Epcot while on vacation.
    • Diving further into niche by grabbing a bottle of PdN New York while in Paris. Yes, the stuff lives up to the hype - and I only paid the equivalent of $30 USD.
    • Continuous improvement in my fragrance collection that would make Edwards Deming proud.
    • Getting a job in the advertising business after graduation. A simple thank you note and a spritz of Straight to Heaven when I toured did the trick.
    • A tip from a sandwich artist at Subway (that is also a Basenoter) to try Frapin's L'Humaniste. Then a sample. Then a full bottle.
    • Going back to college to finish up my marketing degree - and finding that for the dorm, you don't need your full collection.
    • Cutting ties with A*Men, my second love, after it became too much for me.

I've never been a megacollector like some here with hundreds or thousands of bottles. I'm at 16 bottles in my collection today with the addition of Flower of Immortality (don't laugh - especially if you love peach like I do). My peak was around 26 bottles. But then, as now, I value quality over quantity. If the juice is in a pretty bottle but smells bad out of it, I won't buy it.

But I have to thank all of you for helping me in my fragrant journey. Without the advice of all of you, I wouldn't smell as good as I do today. And as I celebrate the past ten years here, I look forward to the next ten - and beyond.

Cheers!
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Reflecting back on my fragrance hobby after 10 years of being a Basenotes member

Congratulations on a decade of being a basenoter. Keep smelling good!

Default Re: Reflecting back on my fragrance hobby after 10 years of being a Basenotes member

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    [*]Having the first great fragrance that gave you nightmares - a Guerlain, no less - after a student bathed in it.
    HA, can't help but wonder if that was Heritage?
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

Congratulations on your Basenotes milestone and longevity!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Reflecting back on my fragrance hobby after 10 years of being a Basenotes member

Interesting journey nicely summed up. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to read your sum-up of 20 yrs!

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

Congratulations!
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Congrats to you.

You are to be commended for holding the number of fragrances down. I don't know how you can frequent Basenotes and make such a thing possible.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...emons-Batucada

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Congrat's on the 10 year milestone.

Congratulations...thanks for the recap. Fun read.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Congrats!
    Especially on the bottle count. That took some self discipline.

for swap/sale:

Congratulations! I agree L'Humaniste is fantastic but I can't justify buying it as I have things in my wardrobe that are too similar.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Thank you all for the wishes. This is such a great place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen-at-home View Post
    HA, can't help but wonder if that was Heritage?
    Nope, it was LIDG (not LIDGE). But that makes me want to try Heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Congrats to you.

You are to be commended for holding the number of fragrances down. I don't know how you can frequent Basenotes and make such a thing possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Congrats!
    Part of the reason why my bottle count is so low is because I don't like getting into debt whenever possible. Even though I love fragrances, there are higher priorities for me like food, clothing, and such. My credit card is paid in full, every month, like clockwork. And when I got a new Mac at Best Buy once and took advantage of their 18-month financing deal, I paid it off in 3 months.

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Sound Scents

I really enjoyed reading your recap of your journey to this point. Congrats on the significant milestone, and I look forward to your next recap when you reach 15...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Congrats!

Congrats!!! This was the first thought that came to my mind too - 10 yrs, max 26 bottles - amazing...

Congrats...Thx for sharing and Godspeed
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Congratulations and thanks for your presence and contribution on BN. In my personal case, have been on BN since 2006 (though I started to discover this site and occasionally read it as early as 2005 or even 2004) and started to constantly own, purchase, test fragrances but also recurrently/constantly look up fragrance data since the summer of 1997. Being thankful for each one of these two cases/experiences/processes for making the encounter with some of the most beautiful, thrilling and informative aspects of the fragrance world possible.

Thank's for sharing with us and congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Congratulations and thanks for your presence and contribution on BN. In my personal case, have been on BN since 2006 (though I started to discover this site and occasionally read it as early as 2005 or even 2004) and started to constantly own, purchase, test fragrances but also recurrently/constantly look up fragrance data since the summer of 1997. Being thankful for each one of these two cases/experiences/processes for making the encounter with some of the most beautiful, thrilling and informative aspects of the fragrance world possible.
    Similar story here.

I started dabbling with cologne in middle school, then got my first serious bottle (Acqua di Gio) and started browsing Basenotes every now and then in high school as far back as 2001. After I graduated from high school, I became a Basenotes member a few weeks later and posted my first post on the discussion boards, which led me to buying Mugler Cologne days later.

And here I am today.

summer means fireflys

Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary! Are you going to add another bottle to the collection to mark the occasion? Since tin or aluminium is the traditional gift for 10 years, maybe Acier Aluminium or something packaged in a tin?

I can relate to your Neiman Marcus pain ... It was fairly early in my perfumistahood and I had the chance of going to Denver for a training class. I was so excited to visit Neiman Marcus and sniff a few things I didn't have access to. I picked out a few bottles and was pretty disappointed when the SA said they didn't accept MasterCard. Seriously? Who doesn't accept MasterCard? I applied for a Neiman Marcus credit card, was accepted on the spot, and left with my purchases ... so it ended well. I came home, paid off my purchases and promptly canceled the Neiman Marcus card. Funny, I had forgotten all about that and the fact I had a Neiman Marcus credit card for a few weeks! The things we do for fragrance!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary! Are you going to add another bottle to the collection to mark the occasion? Since tin or aluminium is the traditional gift for 10 years, maybe Acier Aluminium or something packaged in a tin?
    Though I just got another Kilian (Flower of Immortality) for my birthday, I might get another bottle of something separately just to mark my tenth anniversary here on Basenotes. Le Male is out (it's packed in a tin can) because I grew tired of it, but Acier Aluminium sounds good from the notes (not to mention that I also love airplanes, which are made out of aluminum).

And of course, there's always that missing bottle of Aventus...

Congratulations on your 10th anniversary. Small collection but a good one .

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Straight to Heaven, ehh? Nice story. Thanks for the nostalgic trip. I'm at the 5 year milestone and my collection is already out of control, or so my missus says. But she took to my SDV like ducks to water.

OP: I enjoyed reading this. I've only been here for a little over a year, but it's certainly been interesting and very educational. But I'm waiting for the Kouros ending...is "much better" the end of that story, or did you eventually get fully hooked (as I did)?? Congrats.

10 years and just 16 bottles! I could learn a lesson from you and many should. Congratulations!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by bbfan View Post
    But I'm waiting for the Kouros ending...is "much better" the end of that story, or did you eventually get fully hooked (as I did)?? Congrats.
    The second time was enough for me. Even though I continue to feel that Kouros is a great fragrance to this day, I just didn't find it versatile enough for everyday use - heck, I found A*Men to be more versatile. So I didn't buy a bottle, and my lone YSL remains M7, even though I briefly owned Live Jazz (never got the "magic" of this one) and I've come close to pulling the trigger on L'Homme several times.

What a great story -- thanks for sharing your highlights!
    And I admire how you've stayed minimal with your number of bottles!

Congratulations on ten years in! I appreciate the sharing of your experiences. Most of us have similar stories punctuated with fragrant highs and lows. I hope to see you here for the next ten!

Basenotes Plus

Great read
    Current rotation:

Ciel Man
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    L'Homme
    Scandal Pour Homme

How wonderful.. Being a member has deepened my enjoyment of perfume.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

queen of the universe

A great read. Congrats and thank you for sharing. You did have the quintessential Kouros experience, I see. #whatthehellwasthatgivememore
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

A very enjoyable read. Congrats and may you enjoy many more years enjoying the world of fragrance.
    John aka Easykiller

cheers mate!!