Code of Conduct

Default Layering frags from the same house?

GENERALLY speaking, do frags from the same house have enough in common that they could be layered? In other words, I am going to layer, are most frags from the same house similar, at least in mid or base notes? If not, which frags (from the same house) are completely different than each other?
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

Default Re: Layering frags from the same house?

Usually, I'd say no. Most perfumes are not done in-house, but at the aromachemical companies and often using a different perfumer. So there's no assumption that a perfume from the same brand is any more appropriate than any other perfume.

A few houses do have a standard perfumer (like Hermes, with JC Ellena, for instance), though I'm not sure this is enough.

cacio

Basenotes Junkie

Depends on the house. Tom ford private and Tauer- yes to most i know. Atellier- kinda. Others less so.

Rick

I would also say that in most cases no.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Generally no, but there are exceptions. CREED fragrances often layer/blend together quite nicely. I enjoy blending them, often with great results.

Never tried this so far, but if I ever will, it will probably be flanker-based ("main" fragrance and its adjacent flankers).

I would have to say no.

It certainly appears most frags from the same house CANNOT be layered, but Jo Malone has an interesting page where you can choose which ones to layer. either to make warmer or fresher: http://www.jomalone.com/products/380...nce-Combining#
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

Usually, no.

But at one time, Thierry Mugler vendor reps in the US suggested layering A*Men with Mugler Cologne. Not sure if that is still the case.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Sometimes it can work - I've got Encens Flamboyant and Ambre Fetiche from Annick Goutal and they work really well together. I think the trio along with the Myrhhe that has been discontinued were made to work well together. I read an article where Jean Claude Ellena and Francis Kurdjkan gave their ideas on what could work well together but the perfumes they selected were from different houses.

I am a great fan of Etro fragrances and own a few.
    At each purchase the SAs informed me that all Etro fragrances were made to be matched. Never trusted them, but once I layered Patchouly and Heliotrope and the result was beautiful, I'd say Shalimaresque! I guess it can be done relatively easily with fragrances that are almost solinotes, like the two ones I tried..
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

I've always perceived layering as a very evil thing to do.

I am of the mind that a perfumer makes a scent to be enjoyed on its own. Layering disrupts the intention of the artist that makes the scent. If it were that easy the perfumer would have mixed two complete scents themselves to make a new scent. Perhaps I am old school, but layering is contrary to my own sensibilities.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

In my experience TF's Privee's are great for base layering and Creeds are great as a top layering heavy ones : although I'm against this format and will only allow myself a TL/Aventus layering to be worn by mua
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Very interesting question because while common sense tells me "no", I've heard from retailers of different brands that certain houses are actually meant to be layered. Bond No. 9, Creed, and Tom Ford are all ones where layering works pretty well. You can even stick several Montales together for good results.

But it does seem true that houses tend to stick to a "house formula", so that makes me wonder if fragrances can be layered. Creed, Bond, Tauer, Le Labo, etc.

I have done this on rare occasion with CDG and Creed, but in general don't like to do so.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Creed fragrances are very good for layering withing themselves.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Depends on whether the house shares a common house base accord. Makes it easier to layer their different fragrances if they do. Unless you have a clue about which notes are complementary, chances are it'll be a hit-or-miss kind of experiment.

Jo Malone's are designed to be layered with others from the same house.