Code of Conduct

Thread: Tweed overcoat?

Default Tweed overcoat?

I'm looking to buy an overcoat. I'm looking for something a little different than your normal black cashmere/cashmere blend coat. Thoughts on tweed? Still work in formal settings? Comfortable? (I've never owned tweed...have read that it can be a little rough.)
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Default Re: Tweed overcoat?

Quote Originally Posted by Teach13 View Post
    I'm looking to buy an overcoat. I'm looking for something a little different than your normal black cashmere/cashmere blend coat. Thoughts on tweed? Still work in formal settings? Comfortable? (I've never owned tweed...have read that it can be a little rough.)
    To me it would suggest country, which I can pull off in town as a university person. Might be harder in banking or law. Mine js vintage Manx Tweed in a trenchcoat style. Softer and lighter than Harris Tweed. It's not that easy to find them. I imagine Nigel Cabourn would have one, also some nouveau retro labels such as E. Tautz.

sent from a mobile device - please excuse any smelling mistakes
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

When it comes to coats (or well, to suits, and shirts, and shoes...), 90% of the job is done by the cut and the fit, and the way the wearer wears it. If it fits you nicely, and you're "able" to wear it with enough taste and self-confidence, then it may turn into a terrific piece of heritage elegance. No problems about the settings - a plain grey or w&b tweed coat will work on anyone:

But if you want to "dare", what's more classy and formal than these?

About the comfort, it depends on the fabric - not all tweed garments are heavy & rough, some are super soft and silky. Also there's bolder tweed which surely does a bit a "country effect" (and surely it's better for casual/weekend settings*) but there's also plenty of more contemporary and "urban" tweeds.

* http://brothersandcraft.com/wp-conte...2/IMG_2867.jpg

However my advice is: try it! If you feel you want to look different and classier, that's always a healthy impulse to follow
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | NICHE & VTG | Shiseido Basala, Boadicea Invigorating, SMN Tabacco Toscano, Signoricci, YSL M7 (AS), Gucci Envy for Men (AS), Ungaro II...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Not a big tweed fan, especially if its a suit jacket with elbow patches :/