Code of Conduct

Default Parfum Versions for Men 2014

What are some of the parfum/extraits you are enjoying this year 2014 ?

I recently tried Shalimar Parfum by Guerlain at Saks and thought it was rather unique. It seemed to be rich enough but I need to re try for longevity.

I think my next purchase will be Pure Distance M or some other Roja Dove Chypre Parfum. It seems like you can't go wrong regarding quality when you purchase a Dove.

Recently I have been using Opus V1 by Amouage and I get compliments galore. However I've been away for a while and now I read threads asking if Epic Man and other "A" classics have been reformulated. Maybe I shouldn't get too comfortable with my Opus V1 then ?

Anyways my new game plan is to only own one bottle of a parfum or extrait at a time. I will use it up before I re purchase anything else. I think this is the best way to get the most bang for my buck these days.

Now the recommendations ?

Thanks

Default Re: Parfum Versions for Men 2014

All 5 releases by LM Parfums and all 5 releases by Herve Gambs.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    All 5 releases by LM Parfums and all 5 releases by Herve Gambs.
    So Hednic is it true that all Amouages have been watered down ?

Thanks for the recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    So Hednic is it true that all Amouages have been watered down ?

Thanks for the recommendations.
    You're welcome. Cannot speak to the Amouage fragrances. Sorry.
    Last edited by hednic; 8th June 2014 at 12:40 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Several extraits pour femme are wonderful for men as well. Cuir de Russie is one, but also many Guerlains, Jicky (which is rather sedate, even in extrait), Shalimar as you say, Vol de nuit, possibly Mitsouko (if it's true that it's up to spec again as suggested by many posts). But also stuff like Ormonde jayne tiare or tolu, or Vero kern onda (though one person claims it's been reformulated too).

I have not tried the most recent iteration of the masculine Amouages. some feminines have clearly been reformulated (eg Lyric woman, Homage), so one should be very careful before purchasing. Opus VI came out after the big IFRA restriction, so perhaps it is safer, but who knows.

cacio

Yes Roja is awesome Especially "Oud"
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Yes Roja is awesome Especially "Oud"
    I think I would like Diaghilev but the price is insane. Has anybody figured out how long it would last and what the cost would translate to per month ?

I used to cringe at the thought of buying a $300 fragrance but if you do the math it works out to be just as much as buying an average juice per month. The only difference is you pay in advance. The benefit of paying in advance is you get to wear a high end fragrance with low monthly fees.

If I had to purchase something today I think I would go for a bottle of Tuscan Leather and Puredistance M. Roughly $620 for 160 ml of solid juice.

YES Vol De Nuit Parfum is up to par but it didn't work as well for me as Mitsouko or Shalimar. I also have my doubt as to whether Guerlain's prices warrant a sale. For the same money you can purchase a 100ml of Amouage.

I've been dying to pull the plug on Cuir De Russie parfum but I think I will be disappointed with the projection.
    Last edited by thatmakesscents; 8th June 2014 at 06:21 PM.

Most Mancera fragrances.

Cdr extrait is definitely more a smooth enveloping scent, but it is not weak either.
    In general, though, projection is not the defining characteristics of extraits, they're more about the basenotes (ie longevity) than projection.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Most Mancera fragrances.
    Actually these are EDPs. None are parfum strength.

Actually these are EDPs. None are parfum strength.
    I've tried a few of them before but wasn't impressed.

Bergamot Extrait by Roja Dove is worth getting a decant of. It's a beautifully spiced citrus.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Others below - All parfum strength that I own and enjoy:

Musc Tonkin by Parfum D'Empire
    Highness Rose by Montale
    Indian Safron by Montale
    Highness Jasmine by Montale
    Highness Musk by Montale
    Pure Amber by Montale
    Santal de Mysore by Montale
    Oud Silk Mood by MFK
    Oud Velvet Mood by MFK
    Oud Cashmere Mood by MFK
    Last edited by hednic; 8th June 2014 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    ^^^^ Musc Tonkin was from Parfum d'Empire. Not so easy to find seeing it was a limited edition.
    Thanks for pointing that out. Corrected it above. Hate getting old! Glad I was able to get it when it first came out.

Reportedly (at least according to the lady at Jovoy), Musc tonkin is supposed to come back.unsure about the concentration.

cacio

Others below - All parfum strength that I own and enjoy:

Musc Tonkin by Parfum D'Empire
    Highness Rose by Montale
    Indian Safron by Montale
    Highness Jasmine by Montale
    Highness Musk by Montale
    Pure Amber by Montale
    Santal de Mysore by Montale
    Oud Silk Mood by MFK
    Oud Velvet Mood by MFK
    Oud Cashmere Mood by MFK

I thought Montale was over ? I assume these are your older bottles ?

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    I thought Montale was over ? I assume these are your older bottles ?
    Yes, bought in Paris when Montale had its boutique there.