Code of Conduct

Default Tried Acqua di Gio for the very first time today

Was working outside in 80+ deg today and decided to wear a sample of AdG. I've never been a fan of aquatics, but I admit to being curious about one of the best selling fragrances of all time (or so I've heard). Since it was warm and I was outside, I figured I'd give it a shot. All I can say is...

This is one of the best sellers in history??

That's a real shocker. It wasn't offensive, but there really wasn't much to it at all. No character or interesting qualities whatsoever. I'm surprised people fork over $60-$80 for this one. Even for a light/summer scent, I'd personally go for something more interesting like Dior Homme Sport.

Am I missing something here? Maybe I didn't expect to love it, but I certainly didn't expect something so nondescript.

Default Re: Tried Acqua di Gio for the very first time today

Im not really a fan either. I believe marketing played a huge role in its early success and as we know, people are creatures of habit. Its a very middle of the road fragrance for me. Probably fine for just the occasion you wore it....working outside in the summer.

I personally like it but can understand how this might not appeal to everyone.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I think as far as this type of smell goes it's one of the better ones.
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

I think it is very good - but I like Essenza a bit more.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Basenotes Plus

I can't see why you're shocked not to like this, or understand what the 'fuss' was about. The second sentence of this post says "I've never been a fan of aquatics..." This is as aquatic as it gets.
    Current rotation:

Ciel Man
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    L'Homme
    Scandal Pour Homme

I owned multiple bottles of this through the years and what they call Acqua Di Gio isn't what I wore for 5 years straight back in the 90's. What they're selling now doesn't smell half as good and doesn't last half as long.

Quote Originally Posted by bbfan View Post
    Am I missing something here? Maybe I didn't expect to love it, but I certainly didn't expect something so nondescript.
    You're missing the fact that this fragrance is nearly 20 years old. It smells nondescript because so many fragrances have copied it. You're also missing the fact that at least 50% of all men's fragrance purchases are made by women - either for themselves to wear or for the men in their lives. I don't know if women wear Aqua di Gio, but it's been a female favorite for men to wear for nearly two decades.

Personally, I think it's a fantastic summer scent. I just wish it were less common.

I've never been a fan of aquatics, but...
    If you don't like lemon, you're probably not going to like lemonade.
    If you don't like apple, you're probably not going to like apple pie.
    If you don't like aquatics, why would you expect to like Acqua di Gio?
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

AdG is one of the best sellers of all time for one simple reason - women LOVED/LOVE it. This was Aventus almost 20 years ago except without the internet/message board hype trains, batch variations, and at 20% of the price.

Also tending to agree with the opinion that Essenza is a (more or less) improved, heightened, als longer lasting version of ADG.

I really dont know what you expected to get out of it so I cant comment on what went wrong. For me ADG is a nice light summer scent that gets me complements and reminds me of sitting on a beach and thats what I need it to be so....

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I owned multiple bottles of this through the years and what they call Acqua Di Gio isn't what I wore for 5 years straight back in the 90's. What they're selling now doesn't smell half as good and doesn't last half as long.
    I never smelled back in the 90s, but I'm guessing this is the case.

No disrespect intended to those who like it but based on my sample (from Sephora), I can't believe this would have been so hugely successful had it been like this from day one. Way too nondescript in my view. Essentially nothing to feel strongly about on the plus or minus side.

Decent fragrance IMO. I can see why people really like the one. Hype plays a role also.

I never smelled back in the 90s, but I'm guessing this is the case.

No disrespect intended to those who like it but based on my sample (from Sephora), I can't believe this would have been so hugely successful had it been like this from day one. Way too nondescript in my view. Essentially nothing to feel strongly about on the plus or minus side.
    Z by Zegna and Perry Ellis 360 Red are two takes on AdG and better than what's offered by Armani in my opinion.

I agree with the OP - never liked that fragrance.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

never liked this also..

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Ok so you don't really like the fragrance. It's probably not your style. Move on then. No reason to question the thousands out there who happily forked over the cash for a 2nd bottle. And I agree with the earlier post re: 'non descript' - it needs to take into consideration the year the fragrance was released. AdGpH was a trendsetter in late 1990s and to this day IMO still outperforms the legion of copycats out there.

Try Essenza, it's thicker but retains the character, also the new "Blue edition" was a pleasant surprise to me, sort of a mix of the original and the Essenza version.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Also tending to agree with the opinion that Essenza is a (more or less) improved, heightened, als longer lasting version of ADG.
    I also agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Try Essenza, it's thicker but retains the character, also the new "Blue edition" was a pleasant surprise to me, sort of a mix of the original and the Essenza version.
    lol I think your nose is playing tricks on you... the 'blue edition' is the same exact thing as the original, only in a limited edition bottle

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Personally, I think it's a fantastic summer scent. I just wish it were less common.
    + 1

you just dont like aquatics...thats fine

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    lol I think your nose is playing tricks on you... the 'blue edition' is the same exact thing as the original, only in a limited edition bottle
    on my skin it emits slightly different, but slightly.

unlucky ......

As has already been said - Women love it full stop - not ALL and EVERY woman of course but a WHOLE lot of them do - this is a major selling point - plus - and yes I am female - it's just a very nice pleasant scent and sometimes nice and pleasant is just exactly what you want. I have it, like it a lot, and wear it now and then and pretty much every time I do I get at least one - "you smell really good" or "Is that Acqua di Gio? I love that" or something similar - so anyway, no it's not "interesting", "challenging" or mind blowing but it IS what it is, a very pleasant scent, very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Z by Zegna and Perry Ellis 360 Red are two takes on AdG and better than what's offered by Armani in my opinion.
    I feel the same way about Halston Unbound. It has a unique tomato leaf note, and it lasts a lot longer on my skin than AdG.

I first tried ADG about 15 years ago.
    The scent that was around then was as non descript as what you describe now.
    I've never understood ADG, but recognise that most women and other males seem to be able to smell something there that I just don't get.
    Bvlgari Aqua is another one that I can't detect any substance in.

Anyhow, I am a huge fan of aquatic scents. For something in a similar vein but with more substance, check out L'Eau Par Kenzo, Halston Unbound, Paris Hilton Just Me, Jill Sander Pure Men, or any of the Eternity Summer versions.
    Regards,
    Renato