Code of Conduct

Default Seeking a Minty Absinthe / Licorice frag. Suggestions?

After finally reading the definition of "absinthe", I realized that would be perfect for me, especially since I am a fan of stronger, medicinal frags like CK One Shock for Him. (I even loved Vicks Vaporub growing up!) I know there are anise/licorice frags, but how may of them dry down to something minty, instead of the usual boring woods? Is there a *minty* absinthe frag?
    Favorite blend:

Piment Brulant by L'Artisan (2 sprays)
    and
    Plum Japonais by Tom Ford (1 spray)

Default Re: Seeking a Minty Absinthe / Licorice frag. Suggestions?

Eau de Courreges (the re-release in green box) has that absinthe - mint blend mix. It's a real good one IMO.
    Last edited by hednic; 8th June 2014 at 05:08 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Memoir Man by Amouage has Minty Absinthe as really prominence notes, but you must love incense/frankincense to wear this perfume.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Quote Originally Posted by Wit_Siamese View Post
    Memoir Man by Amouage has Minty Absinthe as really prominence notes, but you must love incense/frankincense to wear this perfume.
    +1 Thats so Absinthe.

Some Slumberhouse scents may suit your needs also.
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | YSL M7 AS, Ungaro II EDT, Gucci Envy for Men AS, Signoricci EDT, Capucci PH EDT, Montana PH EDT...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Default Re: Seeking a Wintergreen/ Absinthe/ Licorice frag. Suggestions?

I have read the descriptions of the suggestions so far, and nothing seems to truly be what I want. I wish I could be more specific about what I am seeking, let me try it this way. What smells like wintergreen and licorice? Think LOUD. Key words: wintergreen, eucalyptus, menthol, Vicks Vaporub (minus the turpentine note, of course), basil. licorice. I like Eau des Baux, mainly because of its menthol/wintergreen vibe. But it dries down to menthol woods. I am basically seeking something that combines the smell of licorice and wintergreen.
    Favorite blend:

and

Maybe Josh will read this thread and create something new. I can't think of a thing that's exactly what you want. Drying down to minty would be quite a feat - I generally smell mint on top.

You might want to sample these though:
    Nasomatto Absinthe
    Tuberose Criminelle
    CdG Hinoki
    L'Artisan Fou de Absinthe

If all else fails, you could eat these:

And dab on this:
    Last edited by socalwoman; 8th June 2014 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Maybe Josh will read this thread and create something new. I can't think of a thing that's exactly what you want. Drying down to minty would be quite a feat - I generally smell mint on top.

You might want to sample these though:
    Nasomatto Absinthe
    Tuberose Criminelle
    CdG Hinoki
    L'Artisan Fou de Absinthe
    Thanks for the suggestions, Actually, I never expect to find *exactly* what I am seeking, but I found a couple more to add to your sample suggestions:
    Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone
    Olympic Rainforest by Olympic Orchids, which one reviewer said is "mostly Vicks Vaporub". Of course, I could always simply wear Vicks to work, or my wintergreen oil/lotion if I want everybody to think I am wearing pain-relieving muscle cream (Ben-gay).
    Last edited by Allen-on-Holiday; 8th June 2014 at 04:49 PM.
    Favorite blend:

and

I cannot think of an anise-wintergreen fragrance that maintains the notes into the drydown, these tend to be top notes.

For your curiosity, I would try Lush Dirty. It has a very fresh minty herbal note that is quite persistent. However, it is not anisic or wintergreen, per se.

cacio

I really like this feel in O'Driu' Vis et Honor.

Give the L'Artisan a shot. Fou d'Absinthe. And also Slumberhouse Vikt, which has the absinthe and oud.

If they are not mentholated enough for you, you might have to layer in an oud scent.

I'd bet you a 6 pack of your favorite that you will end up loving at least one of those two, as is...if not both (big fan of both, and Vikt in particular is stellar.)

While aware of the fact that I am suggesting a discontinued fragrance, posting this suggestion if remaining old stocks of this fragrance may resurface. Davidoff Relax, a boozy, almost licorice-like powerhouse fougere with an almost "non sweet gourmand" mint note (in fact, a both smooth and yet also zesty, edgy, almost resinous sort of mint, paired against an even richer mossy, woody backdrop). Perhaps with another discontinued scent for layering, namely Gucci Nobile (little or no absinthe note in this one, but the "classy green" fougere-mint is further enhanced within it).
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 8th June 2014 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    While aware of the fact that I am suggesting a discontinued fragrance, posting this suggestion if remaining old stocks of this fragrance may resurface. Davidoff Relax, a boozy, almost licorice-like powerhouse fougere with an almost "non sweet gourmand" mint note (in fact, a booth smooth and yet also zesty, edgy, almost resinous sort of mint, paired against an even richer mossy, woody backdrop).
    Sounds great. In fact, searching for Relax, I came across another one I used to love that was quite loud: Brut Actif Blue (blue bottle).
    Favorite blend:

and

Kerosene Black Vines
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Thanks, everyone, for all your suggestions. Here are the samples I ordered today (not all were available):

Gorilla Perfume at Lush Dirty

Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir

Kerosene Black Vines

L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe

Nasomatto Absinth

Slumberhouse Vikt

UPDATE: While shopping online, I discovered Bath & Body Works has a new “spa” lotion: Eucalyptus BASIL. I already have the Eucalyptus TEA lotion, and I like it, but it won’t layer very well, so I think the new *Basil* one will layer perfectly with Pomegranate Noir or maybe even Vikt, or one of the other samples I ordered. I think this lotion will help to give the menthol/medicinal/intoxicating effect I desire. Can’t wait for my samples to arrive!
    Last edited by Allen-on-Holiday; 9th June 2014 at 02:29 PM.
    Favorite blend:

and

I would recommend Cartier Must Pour Homme essence if you can find it, it has anise, which smells like licourice, and it is a divine cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega1185 View Post
    I would recommend Cartier Must Pour Homme essence if you can find it, it has anise, which smells like licourice, and it is a divine cologne.
    Thanks, I will have to compare that with Must de Cartier pour Homme Vert Anis.
    Favorite blend:

and

Basenotes Plus

Memoir Man was the first thing that I thought of when I read the title

Yohji Homme -- vintage if you can find a bottle

If you don't mind being a little creative you can get a great deal here. For example, grab a bottle of Decadence for Men and then layer it with a scent like Roadster or a mint scent that you prefer. No need to pay niche prices!

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    Give the L'Artisan a shot. Fou d'Absinthe.
    This is really the only one with a real feel I've come across, though my experience is limited. I think Memoir Man's note is superb, but I don't think its what you're looking for. Try the FdA and the one Darvant recommended. The FdA has a slight powdery edge to it but might be very close to what you want.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Yohji Homme is great for the anise side of things, but you won't get mint from it (the anise is paired with coffee and lavender). I adore the opening of Memoir Man, which is definitely absinthe, basil, and mint. But the opening doesn't last for the life of the fragrance (though the rest is good, too).

Fou d'Absinthe.

I have been wearing the re-released Yohji Homme a lot lately and it's terrific (but maybe not quite what you're after).

BTW - mint, like citrus notes, seems to work best in the earlier stages of a perfume - I have not come across anything where it stays around for very long.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Memoir man came straight to mind.

Mona di orios vetyver. Trust me... Like jade nouvelle Orléans

I am still waiting (tick-tock-tick-tock) for my samples of Fou d'Absinthe, Vikt, Black Vines, and others to arrive (hopefully in the mail today). And Now I also want to order Cartier Must and/or Vert Anis, Decadence, and, of course, Memoir Man. Thanks to everyone for these suggestions, will keep you posted.
    Favorite blend:

and

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    I really like this feel in O'Driu' Vis et Honor.
    A great scent indeed. I also second Memoir Man and L'Artisan's Fou d'Absinthe.

Update: PART of my order just arrived, I am wearing Fou d'Absinthe on my right hand, and Black Vines on my left. My FIRST impression of Fou d'Absinthe is it reminds me of B*Men, which, although gets rave reviews, I never really cared for. (I am actually wondering if they accidentally sent B*Men in a Fou d'Absinthe vial, but I know this is unlikely.) I will certainly give it another chance later, woke up with a sinus headache this morning which might be affecting my sense of smell. However, (again, first impressions) Black Vines is awesome, much more like the licorice-menthol-wintergreen vibe I have been seeking. I was hesitant to even order the sample when I read it has vanilla and tonka in it, but I'm certainly glad I did. More later. 2nd update: Alright, this time I am wearing Vikt on my right hand, and Dirty on my left, and to my surprise, Dirty appeals to my nose far more than Vikt. I know Vikt has lots of fans, but to my nose, there is something harsh in it. As odd as this sounds, I think "Dirty" would have been a more appropriate name for Vikt because it smells dirty to me, and not in a good way. In fact, I have sampled 3 Slumberhouse frags, and not impressed with any of them. I am officially giving up on Slumberhouse to tickle my nose. So, of the 4 samples I got today, Black Vines is the best, by far. I will try again later, but these are the results so far.
    Last edited by Allen-on-Holiday; 14th June 2014 at 10:22 PM.
    Favorite blend:

and

I think black vines embodies that smell from start to finish. It does tone down a little bit in the drydown by letting some incense disperse in the base, but overall it stays true to the opening and never lets it go.

Very strong stuff! But not for me....
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 15th June 2014 at 06:55 AM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Minty, Absinthe and Licorice.... Lush Dirty.... Nasomatto Absinth... Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    Minty, Absinthe and Licorice.... Lush Dirty.... Nasomatto Absinth... Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin
    I didn't care for Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin when I sampled it years ago, I need to revisit. (And still waiting for the Nasomatto Absinth sample to arrive.) Thanks.
    Favorite blend:

and

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    I think black vines embodies that smell from start to finish. It does tone down a little bit in the drydown by letting some incense disperse in the base, but overall it stays true to the opening and never lets it go.

Very strong stuff! But not for me....
    I really think it will layer well with my Oil of Wintergreen lotion. I'm sure this wouldn't appeal to most Basenoters, but the wintergreen lotion beings to fade as soon as applied, like everything else. (Why does that song "Bad Medicine" keep playing in my head?) But seriously, I am aware others might think I am wearing pain-relieving cream (Ben-gay), but my nose likes what it likes. Can't wait until Monday, I think my Pomegranate Noir (Jo Malone) will be here then, and it definitely (I have sampled before) has a Vicks Vaporub vibe. Yes, I am a menthol fanatic.
    Last edited by Allen-on-Holiday; 15th June 2014 at 05:57 PM.
    Favorite blend:

and

I haven't tried it but "by killian A taste of heaven absinth verte" is one you might try.

Has anybody tried both Absinthe by Ava Luxe and SWEET Absinthe by Ava Luxe? How do they compare?
    Favorite blend:

and