Code of Conduct

Thread: Cloudy mixture

Default Cloudy mixture

hi all im new to the art of perfume making so excuse my ignorance , i have mixed 70 percnt perfumers alcahol with 30 percent sandalwood and distilled water but my mix has gone cloudy any suggetions how i can correct this and what is the best rule of tumb for making a strong fragrence ALL INFORMATION WELCOME help

Default Re: Cloudy mixture

Welcome too you! You might want to re-post this in the DIY Forum where experienced perfumers and other knowledgeable Basenoters would probably better answer this question and provide you with more useful insight.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Oil and water don't mix. Leave out the distilled water, and try again.

There are so many of these newbie question posts of this type these days…. Are you a real person barberboy? I'm not being rude and will certainly help you in DIY if you are. I am under the (hopefully false) impression that there seem to be bots doing mischievous things at the moment. Where are you from?

It's a common mistake for a beginner to make, so I'd imagine that it's genuine, mumsy. I'd recommend that you follow David's advice, Barberboy. You can sometimes add a little water, depending on how much oil that has been added but 30% water is likely to cause problems.
    Last edited by Pears; 9th June 2014 at 11:06 AM.

The tip is no water.... ever. Whatever you read, do it all, but don't put the water in IMO.

That is why I recommended that he follow David's advice. Water can be added in certain situations but the chances of it going wrong, especially for a beginner, are quite high and there's really no need for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BARBERBOY View Post
    how i can correct this
    How to correct this is to add more 200 or 190 Proof Alcohol until the solution clears. Then reassess what the dilution of the Sandalwood is, and if necessary, add more sandalwood back in.

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Everyone's advice here is good. Adding water just causes cloudiness, makes things fall out of solution into a suspension.

Having said that, there are special circumstances where adding water can help a smell. Then either you have to be satisfied with a suspension instead of a solution, satisfied than you can't spray it, and satisfoed that not everything is dissolved. Then you have no consistency of product.

But I have to be honest -- I did have a product once that smelled better when I added water, even though it also caused these problems. There are special solvents you can add to make it dissolve in water, but these are not without complicating issues, as David has reminded us here in the past.

The fact is that many commercial aftershaves have water added to them, or some of them do (a sandalwood fragrance in a small plastic green bottle I bought at a health food store, for example, but I forget the brand). I'm not sure how it is handled when that happens. I assume more solvents? Is it a mixture of hydrosols?

In any case, best to skip it and stick to alcohol.

hi im from ireland and thank you for the reply no im real ok as real as it gets :-)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by BARBERBOY View Post
    hi im from ireland and thank you for the reply no im real ok as real as it gets :-)
    Welcome
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

I'm sorry for being a cynical old bat. You didn't deserve it and I apologise profusely. I will be as helpful as I can be.