Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Don't Add Water, Glycerin or Jojoba to Alcoholic Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I also bought a bottle of glycerin because I read somewhere that it was a solvent for some ingredients if one wanted to make a perfume that was not ethanol based. It may come in useful later. I haven't used mine but I don't think it goes off. I know you use it in sugar modelling paste, so it may be useful for a cake if perfumers glycerine is the edible version.
    Ha yes, I just went through my perfume notes, and there light as day I have 3 various notes mentioning both carrier oil , glycerin and water for the use in perfumery... Well I'm scrapping those notes as we speak!
    I'm just trying to work out on how to start a topic on this thread, and what to do with my beginners perfumery kit I got off perfumer's apprentice... Wish me luck!

You don't need luck. Just have some fun. What is your favourite perfume? Look it up and see what's in it. Then take each ingredient you have and smell each ingredient one by one. Then smell your actual perfume and try to 'find' each one with your nose amongst all the other ingredients.

Learn them all well and go slowly. The better you get to know each one, the better they will behave for you.
    Currently wearing: Civet by Houbigant

Thanks for that, I will do that for sure. I have many favourites, but I'll start off with Givenchy's very irrestible l'intense. I love the almost dusty rose and patchouli in it. Thanks again!

Basenotes Member

Hi all.

I've just recently discovered this forum, after about 30 years of floundering and bumbling around on my own, so please forgive my ignorance.
    I have mainly been using Jojoba as a carrier due to the almost impossible task of finding alcohol here in the UK.
    Recently however, I have been able to obtain it from friends who are chemistry students at the local university and medical professionals with whom I have recently become acquainted.

Anyway, I have been adding alcohol to some of my Jojoba based formulas to thin them out a bit, and make them evaporate more quickly.
    I haven't so far had any preceivable problems with this approach, although the alcohol I've used is very pure ethyl alcohol, so maybe this is why.
    I like the idea of the vitamin E content of the Jojoba too as it may add a health benefit and perhaps remedy the skin dehydrating effects of the alcohol, though maybe the vitamin E is destroyed by the alcohol.
    Having had absolutely NO contact with anyone with an interest in perfumery since I started, this site is a godsend to me, and I would like to know if any of my assumptions are correct, or otherwise.

Thanks for all the amazingly valuable info I've gleaned so far in the last couple of days since I joined

^^^Welcome. This site is wonderful indeed.

How much of a practical issue do you think a relatively small spray of ethanol onto the skin causes for the vast majority of the population? I've read this over and over and it's really only part of the misbelief/misinformation from a certain sect. If you want to use ethanol in your perfumes, such as 95+% of all commercially available perfumes then I'd feel safe in doing that.

Basenotes Member

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I don't think it's a major issue to spray ethanol onto the skin, as people have been doing it for ages with no apparent ill effects, but I had read somewhere that it's not the best idea, so I thought I'd take it into consideration, as I had no one to ask before now.
    I've read quite a lot of contradictory and confusing information over the years, and it has tended to leave me in a kind of limbo with regard to correct procedures etc.
    It's good to have some experienced people to put things into a better perspective for me.
    Thanks for the welcome, by the way