Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Luca Turin Reviews Montblanc Emblem and Coleur Kenzo Violet at Style.com/Arabia

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    One thing that has not been addressed here is how sensitivities can change, so perhaps one day LT will smell Emblem and say to himself, "I thought that violet leaf quality was stronger." This has been my experience and is consistent with the scientific evidence I have seen. LT seems to think there is some sort of "objective" perception of a scent, whereas it seems much more likely that a note/accord (or aroma chemical) can "spike out" on a particular wearing (especially if one has never smelled it before), or that one's overall sensitivity can be lower or higher than usual. He may be "good with chemistry" but seems to selling the psychological element short !
    It may not have been addressed here, but the idea of individual sensitivity to a specific odorant and different degrees of perception of it according to certain variable parameters are widely explored in scientific literature on the subject and I don't believe LT have ever denied it, at least I don't recall having read it in his books....
    Last edited by iodine; 17th June 2014 at 07:43 AM.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Default Re: Luca Turin Reviews Montblanc Emblem and Coleur Kenzo Violet at Style.com/Arabia

Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    It may not have been addressed here, but the idea of individual sensitivity to a specific odorant and different degrees of perception of it according to certain variable parameters are widely explored in scientific literature on the subject and I don't believe LT have ever denied it, at least I don't recall having read it in his books....
    Not denying something doesn't even mean the person is aware of it! If you write a book called "Perfumes: The Guide," and don't explicitly state that sensitivities/perceptions can vary, you clearly are not placing much importance on it. LOL.

Moreover, LT has acknowledged that with some scents he reviewed there wasn't what one would call a great deal of study, let alone a second wearing. And while it may be the case that LT is one of the few people who has a more or less entirely consistent perception of these complex concoctions, that isn't likely to be helpful to most of his readers, I'd guess. I don't mind if people disagree, but I would like them to weigh in so that we know where they stand, and some rationale for their positions would be nice as well.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 18th June 2014 at 08:08 AM.

Why don't you just write your own book, Bigsly?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Why don't you just write your own book, Bigsly?
    My blog is now longer than a book! LOL.

Basenotes Plus

Not denying something doesn't even mean the person is aware of it! If you write a book called "Perfumes: The Guide," and don't explicitly state that sensitivities/perceptions can vary, you clearly are not placing much importance on it. LOL.

Moreover, LT has acknowledged that with some scents he reviewed there wasn't what one would call a great deal of study, let alone a second wearing. And while it may be the case that LT is one of the few people who has a more or less entirely consistent perception of these complex concoctions, that isn't likely to be helpful to most of his readers, I'd guess. I don't mind if people disagree, but I would like them to weigh in so that we know where they stand, and some rationale for their positions would be nice as well.
    I don't think that's the thread topic.
    Last edited by lpp; 18th June 2014 at 08:37 AM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    4 stars for Emblem? Am I reading that correctly? Jesus, that stuff is dreadful.
    Good to know. I like violet leaf, generally. But not the wretched sort.
    Currently wearing: Aperçu by Houbigant

With some 1400 perfumes being released a year, I wonder how anyone can wear a perfume long enough (one week each, say?) before writing an in-depth review you find satisfying enough for everyone and still make it in time for a book that consistently presents the perceptions of a reviewer.

So, Bigsly, if you release a book with 1000 perfume reviews with that sort of depth and consideration for all readers, perhaps, we will get to see that in, 20 years?

As an aside, I wonder how many blogs even list 1000 perfume reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Maque View Post
    With some 1400 perfumes being released a year, I wonder how anyone can wear a perfume long enough (one week each, say?) before writing an in-depth review you find satisfying enough for everyone and still make it in time for a book that consistently presents the perceptions of a reviewer.

So, Bigsly, if you release a book with 1000 perfume reviews with that sort of depth and consideration for all readers, perhaps, we will get to see that in, 20 years?

As an aside, I wonder how many blogs even list 1000 perfume reviews.
    Good point, and my response is "quality over quantity," at least in this context. That is, if I wrote a book, I would discuss the various "prototype" scents that have been marketed, an obvious one being Cool Water. However, there is plenty of that kind of information already on my blog!