Code of Conduct

Default Memoirs of a Trespasser....... Any Good?

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is a worthy vanilla fragrance. I'm just thinking about getting a sample but don't know if it's just another run of the mill vanilla or something special.

How good or bad is this one?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Memoirs of a Trespasser....... Any Good?

One of the best vanillas l've tried, it's smoky & boozy, not cupcake-sweet, & more complex than most. Recommended!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thanks teardrop that is a hearty recommendation. I think I will purchase a sample, I'm craving vanilla. lol

Blog Entries

Hope you enjoy it, Jack!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Junkie

To add to what Teardrop said, it's great...good and smoky, and quite woody too. It's a very "masculine" vanilla.

Yes smooky vanilla but it has nothing on SDV if you ask me.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    To add to what Teardrop said, it's great...good and smoky, and quite woody too. It's a very "masculine" vanilla.
    I double this + teardrop's comment. It's funny, I just had a sample come in and tried it for the first time today. EASILY my favorite vanilla, and I'm a vanilla fan. A smoky vanilla with some clear woody undertones. Thick without being offensive. On me, it lasted all day. My wife commented on it a good 9 hours after I put it on (only applied one spray to each wrist). I don't normally put something on my BUY list after one wear, but this is close to it.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Definitely worth sampling. I don't think I would buy a full bottle of it, but it's interesting and smells pretty good.

I split this one and kept like 20mL in the bottle for myself and I love it. If you are a fan of vanilla and guaiac wood, you'll like this one.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

When I tried this it reminded me of M Pour Monsieur by Marc de la Morandiere.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I really enjoy it and I'm not always a vanilla fan. I like several scents from this house, but I think this one probably has the most universal appeal.

A good non-sweet/foody vanilla, but I love Cape Heartache best from this line.

My favourite vanilla. Absolutely stunning.
    My current top 10 fragrances :
    1. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    2. A Lab on Fire Almost Transparent Blue
    3. YSL L'Homme Libre
    4. Tauer Perfumes L'Air du Desert Marocain
    5. Rania J. Ambre Loup
    6. Atelier Cologne Cedrat Enivrant
    7. Parfum MDCI Ambre Topkapi
    8. Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser
    9. Heeley Sel Marin
    10. by Kilian Back to Black

Basenotes Institution

My boss hardly ever compliments me on my SOTD but when I sampled this he did.

It's very radiant & yet it has a distinctive character and it doesn't really scream 'vanilla' when you smell/wear it.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I have just got this in the post and it has wowed me. Smoky woods with vanilla on first impressions but it is so much more than this. The vanilla has different dimensions to it because of the amber, benzoin and resins. One moment you get smoky dry woods with a very nice not too sweet vanilla. Then like magic the amber resins mixes with the vanilla to give you a creamy soaring aspect to the vanilla. It's very hard to describe but to use a music analogy it's like two different pitches to the same melody. One high and one low.

Anyway these are just my first impressions, but I am most definitely in the next month or so picking up a bottle of this. It's gorgeous and very cleverly blended, it's a three dimensional scent. lol..... and no I haven't been smoking something I shouldn't have.

Last edited by Jack Hunter; 17th June 2014 at 11:48 AM.

Hey Jack, can you liken it to any other fragrance you've tried? I like vanilla in moderation, especially when coupled with woods and resins. This line has interested me for a while. Particularly this one and another one that I believe is an incense perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I have just got this in the post and it has wowed me. Smoky woods with vanilla on first impressions but it is so much more than this. The vanilla has different dimensions to it because of the amber, benzoin and resins. One moment you get smoky dry woods with a very nice not too sweet vanilla. Then like magic the amber resins mixes with the vanilla to give you a creamy soaring aspect to the vanilla. It's very hard to describe but to use a music analogy it's like two different pitches to the same melody. One high and one low.

Anyway these are just my first impressions, but I am most definitely in the next month or so picking up a bottle of this. It's gorgeous and very cleverly blended, it's a three dimensional scent. lol..... and no I haven't been smoking something I shouldn't have.

Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Hey Jack, can you liken it to any other fragrance you've tried? I like vanilla in moderation, especially when coupled with woods and resins. This line has interested me for a while. Particularly this one and another one that I believe is an incense perfume.
    The dry not to sweet aspect of the vanilla reminds me of Mona di Orio's Vanilla which is good in it's own right. But imo this one is much better because it has so many things going on and it keeps you interested during it's duration. Here is my take on the scent just after one wearing mind you.

On first application to my skin I'm getting a wonderful smoky woods and dried vanilla. And I have to say it smells absolutely great.

Shortly after a melody of different resins, amber, spices interact with the main smoky vanilla and woods. This slightly changes the smell so every-time you take a sniff your picking up something new.

As it dries down you can smell a resinous Mryhh note mixing in with the dried vanilla. And even at this stage you will be picking up different nuances to the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Obviously not Jack, but I think you would like this one Ryan. It's definitely a unique take on the genre, and I know that is something we both share an interest in. The combo of vanilla/guaiac/myrrh in the dry down is really something special, and the whole scent is really just great.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Sounds great, I think I may have to pick up a sample pack. As long as it's not a vanillin overload I'll be happy. I do like a well-done vanilla and of course I LOVE guaiac and myrrh!
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

Basenotes Institution

Glad you like it Jack.

There is an element to MOAT that I can't quite put my finger on. This is the best way I can describe it: The scent notes sort of pull apart and come together several times throughout the drydown. It's as if sometimes I smell it and it 'falls apart' and the notes sort of smell all jumbled up and then a few minutes later it reconfigures itself and comes together and then later it falls apart again. It does a few of these loops before it dries down.

Normally I would say this is a sign of a poorly blended fragrance, but somehow in MOAT it works. I must admit I am a sucker for a well done vanilla scent and I LOVE smoky scents, so perhaps I give this a bit more of my time and patience.

But there is roughness to this, that sort of homespun edge, that I appeal to. I wear silky, exotic, extremely-well-blended vanilla scents all of the time (Shalimar, Habit Rouge, etc) but this scent is in a totally different realm.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Well said Mike, as it has now hit the basenotes on my skin I have been quite impressed with it's complexity. And after four hours on my skin it's still going strong with average projection. Also the price for this fragrance for what you get is very good indeed!

Mike, you know I'm a sucker for strange scent loops. Sometimes I do enjoy masterfully blended fragrances, other times I like something that's going to take me for a wild schizophrenic ride throughout the life of the fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The scent notes sort of pull apart and come together several times throughout the drydown. It's as if sometimes I smell it and it 'falls apart' and the notes sort of smell all jumbled up and then a few minutes later it reconfigures itself and comes together and then later it falls apart again. It does a few of these loops before it dries down.

Blog Entries

So glad you're enjoying it, Jack!

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    So glad you're enjoying it, Jack!
    Thanks for the hearty recommendation. It is a great scent and one worth purchasing.

Was thinking about getting a bottle. Still trying to get a coupon code on indiescents.