Code of Conduct

Thumbs up 3 New By Kilian Men's Specifc Fragrances- October 2014!

Just saw this on nstperfume.com. The Addictive State of Mind series is going to be aimed at men- supposed to be out in October

Intoxicated ~ developed by perfumer Calice Becker and inspired by Turkish coffee. The notes include green cardamom, nutmeg and cinnamon.

Light My Fire ~ developed by perfumer Sidonie Lancesseur and inspired by Monte Cristo cigars. The notes include cumin, tedded hay, patchouli, vetiver, honey and vanilla.

Smoke for the Soul ~ developed by perfumer Fabrice Pellegrin and inspired by cannabis. The notes include eucalyptus, grapefruit, cardamom, mate tea, tobacco, birch and cashmere woods.

http://www.nstperfume.com/2014/06/13...ew-fragrances/

Default Re: 3 New By Kilian Men's Specifc Fragrances- October 2014!

I'm going to layer all 3 and party

Thanks for the info. I'm a huge fan of [almost] everything by Kilian has put out, so I will really be looking for these when they come out.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Brückner - Aoud 1
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Great news thank's for sharing!

Thanks for this info!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to try smoke for the soul. Sounds like a sure thing
    Seasonal rotation:

Original Santal
    Dior Homme
    Ambre Topkapi
    Rose 31
    Green Irish Tweed

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of the Kilian line. Straight to Heaven is my all-time favorite, Back to Black cuts through the winter like no other fragrance... heck, even though it doesn't get much love here, I'm a big fan of Flower of Immortality (the peach does it for me).

That said, Smoke for the Soul sounds incredible. Heck, all three of these sound incredible. (Of course, like everything this house has done, the packaging is amazing - which is important for an ad man like me.) I will definitely have to sample all of them when I get the chance...
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Thanks for the info.

Looking forward to Smoke for the Soul.

I haven't tried any of their fragrances but these ones seem worth a try.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Sound Scents

Well, I do love Montecristo cigars, so Light My Fire sounds particularly interesting. The listed cumin is worrisome though...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by ScentAddicted View Post
    Smoke for the Soul ~ developed by perfumer Fabrice Pellegrin and inspired by cannabis. The notes include eucalyptus, grapefruit, cardamom, mate tea, tobacco, birch and cashmere woods.

Last edited by Flatbush Ave; 13th June 2014 at 11:46 PM.

I sampled all three (lab samples) in NY at Bergdorf Goodman and all will be worth sampling on the skin when released. Smoke for the Soul is the one I really want to revisit first. It has a very strong marijuana note...something I would not want to wear to work. I don't want to be drug tested.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Smoke for the Soul is the one I really want to revisit first. It has a very strong marijuana note...something I would not want to wear to work. I don't want to be drug tested.

Now I really can't wait to try them. I love the way Mary Jane smells!

My impression of the house just went straight downhill. I find these names and the whole concept to be disgusting. I'd been contemplating an oud purchase from Kilian but upon reading this, that's never gonna happen.

I hate the smell of cannabis so that note ruins it for me.
    Last edited by NeoXerxes; 31st July 2014 at 06:55 PM.

By Kilian is one of my favorite houses, but lately I've been let down with the projection & longevity of their fragrances. Namely, Vodka on the Rocks, Musk Oud, and Sacred Wood. Really nice smelling, but they seem to turn to skin scents after a few hours. Will definitely sample out this new line.

Basenotes Junkie

By Killian is one of those few houses that I was never interested in. I dont know what it is, but everything I tried from them just never clicked with me. And besides, like Wheatstraw said, their conceptual image is highly pretentious and immature (imo). And the prices? Well, their prices are taking my disposition to a whole different level

I am going to continue overlooking this house completely... Next!

Basenotes Member

I just picked up samples of these three and as soon as I got home I sprayed a single spray of Smoke for the Soul on my wrist. Having read the notes, I wasn't expecting to actually smell cannabis, but immediately the opening was like a rich, fresh Baggie of strong Dutch weed, but unlike any strain I may or may not have smoked in my youth, it comes across as fresher and more herbaceous, and even a slight mintiness perhaps from the eucalyptus. So far...thumbs up, but not sure i want to smell this way personally.

Has anyone received their mailing list samples yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Tollers View Post
    I just picked up samples of these three and as soon as I got home I sprayed a single spray of Smoke for the Soul on my wrist. Having read the notes, I wasn't expecting to actually smell cannabis, but immediately the opening was like a rich, fresh Baggie of strong Dutch weed, but unlike any strain I may or may not have smoked in my youth, it comes across as fresher and more herbaceous, and even a slight mintiness perhaps from the eucalyptus. So far...thumbs up, but not sure i want to smell this way personally.
    I agree! But I think I do want to smell like this...just not at work. This is likely to be my first By Kilion.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I agree! But I think I do want to smell like this...just not at work. This is likely to be my first By Kilion.
    Sounds like you'll love it. A few hours in and that single small spray has quiet ended down on me, but hasn't really developed much, but is still convincing I can see its appeal, but for me, not FBW. I'll wear it to mess with some stoner friends.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    By Killian is one of those few houses that I was never interested in. I dont know what it is, but everything I tried from them just never clicked with me. And besides, like Wheatstraw said, their conceptual image is highly pretentious and immature (imo). And the prices? Well, their prices are taking my disposition to a whole different level

I am going to continue overlooking this house completely... Next!
    These are my thoughts exactly
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

I haven't been a fan of recent Kilan releases although B2B is still one of my all time favs. This new direction though has caught my eye. Any comments or impressions from those with samples of Light my fire or intoxicated.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Killian is good. My favorites from Killian are: Pure Oud, Straight to Heaven and Imperial Tea. These are exceptional. All three sound fantastic and I am a big fan of these perfumers as well. Intoxicated, Smoke for the Soul, Light My Fire all sound worth testing!

Looks like Killian got a hold of some Tobacco & Cannabis oil.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

It would seem. I'm interested in the one with strong cannabis notes.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Looks like Killian got a hold of some Tobacco & Cannabis oil.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

I left some impressions in the other thread.

$200 plus cannabis scent-hhmmm-got me thinking-how would one explain to a police officer who will notice that scent emanating from you if you were to stopped for some illegal infraction?

I just put up reviews of Smoke for the Soul and Intoxicated on my blog:

Smoke for the soul:

The opening of Smoke for the Soul can almost be read as a riff on the classic Cuir de Russie genre, the smoky scent of rectified birchtar being offset by a bright citrus accord that incorporates a fresh, methyl pamplemousse-type grapefruit synth.
    The old idea however, is given a novel twist through the addition of eucalyptus whose camphorous, herbal vapours infuse the scent and serve to introduce a sweet-n-spicy green heart with vetiverish tones. As the phenolic aspects begin to recede, Smoke for the Soul takes on a more familiar character of slightly damp peppery woods (Iso E Super, Cashmeran etc) and musks, with some vanillic / benzoic and ambery sweetness.
    The publicity for the scent mentions cannabis, but truly, it smells nothing like ganja. That said, it is one of the better releases from the house in recent times.

Intoxicated:

Intoxicated sees By Kilian create a heavily Mugler-inspired gourmand, featuring a familiar coffee/cocoa/ patchouli blend that’s sweetened with enough sugary Maltol and Ambrox-type woody-ambers to turn its wearer diabetic. This is overlaid with a citrus accord that starts fresh-metallic-ozonic-grapefruit before turning aldehydic-waxy-herbal-agrestic-bergamot. Smuggled amidst it all also seems to be a pinene-y resin which idea could have been developed further.
    Intoxicated is a bit like a conversation where both sides are talking yet neither is listening.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post

Smoke for the soul:

The opening of Smoke for the Soul can almost be read as a riff on the classic Cuir de Russie genre, the smoky scent of rectified birchtar being offset by a bright citrus accord that incorporates a fresh, methyl pamplemousse-type grapefruit synth.
    The old idea however, is given a novel twist through the addition of eucalyptus whose camphorous, herbal vapours infuse the scent and serve to introduce a sweet-n-spicy green heart with vetiverish tones. As the phenolic aspects begin to recede, Smoke for the Soul takes on a more familiar character of slightly damp peppery woods (Iso E Super, Cashmeran etc) and musks, with some vanillic / benzoic and ambery sweetness.
    The publicity for the scent mentions cannabis, but truly, it smells nothing like ganja. That said, it is one of the better releases from the house in recent times.

Intoxicated:

Intoxicated sees By Kilian create a heavily Mugler-inspired gourmand, featuring a familiar coffee/cocoa/ patchouli blend that’s sweetened with enough sugary Maltol and Ambrox-type woody-ambers to turn its wearer diabetic. This is overlaid with a citrus accord that starts fresh-metallic-ozonic-grapefruit before turning aldehydic-waxy-herbal-agrestic-bergamot. Smuggled amidst it all also seems to be a pinene-y resin which idea could have been developed further.
    Intoxicated is a bit like a conversation where both sides are talking yet neither is listening.
    How about longevity and sillage? great review btw

Quote Originally Posted by cc1987 View Post
    How about longevity and sillage?
    Intoxicated is certainly the 'bigger' of the two and has greater throw. Both however, are fixed down with plenty of persistent musks so last a good while.

Smoke for the soul:

smells nothing like ganja.
    I'll have to smell it myself of course, but this is seriously disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I'll have to smell it myself of course, but this is seriously disappointing.
    Agreed, was really hoping this note would come through stronger.

Smoke for the soul:

Intoxicated:

Thanks for sharing your impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Thematt202 View Post
    Where's the other thread can't seem to find it
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Smoke for the soul:

Intoxicated:

Thanks for sharing your impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Thematt202 View Post
    Where's the other thread can't seem to find it
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

It definitely gives the impression of walking into an Amsterdam coffee shop whilst the top notes are present. I think it's mainly down to the eucalyptus.

I just opened all samples! I love all 3, but my favorite has to be Light my fire then intoxicated and last smoke for the soul! I am def getting lmf and intoxicated travel sprays!
    Top 5

1. Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

2. Invasion Barbare by MDCI

3. Green Irish Tweed by Creed

4. Rive Gauche Pour Homme by YSL

5. Gendarme

6. Jazz Prestige by YSL

I got mine as well but haven't tried them yet! can't wait to test them later.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    My impression of the house just went straight downhill. I find these names and the whole concept to be disgusting. I'd been contemplating an oud purchase from Kilian but upon reading this, that's never gonna happen.
    Why do you find the whole concept disgusting? Perhaps I can understand with the cannabis one but what is wrong with the other two?

Some first impressions of By Killian Addictive State of Mind fragrances. I have samples of all three and I have been able to easily talk myself out of a purchase on all of them. Too bad as I had high hopes here. I consider them average at best. (1) Smoke for the Soul smells nothing like cannabis but that is probably a good thing. It is constructed of a variety of ingredients designed to form a raw green grass smoke note impression, but doesn't succeed. It smells ok. I don't like it as much as Kinski or Yatagan for this type of thing. It's a no / maybe for me. There is a eucalyptus note in there that is interesting. All the elements are very loosely strung together - it might grow on me. (2) Light My Fire is maybe the best of the bunch as far as attractive aroma with its smoke, leaves and wood fire notes. The synthetic musks might be a little much in here, are there musks? - but the killer for me is the name. I guess that should not be a factor, but do I want to reach for a fragrance the called "Light My Fire"? Very Jim Morrisson, presumptuous, - A big no for me. (3) Intoxicated - is mildly intoxicating with a bit of gourmand and of a bit boozy cafe cordial type of aroma. A little too sweet with not enough firmament to the fragrance for my taste. It's lightweight and doesn't ask for more investigation, more searching or evoking a sense of wonder. Is it a chronic condition of the entire "addictive state of mind" series? Are they half hearted efforts towards towards a completed work of art? - Are they not really "all in"?
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 20th September 2014 at 03:52 PM.

To be honest I really dont like them, and now, I just gave it to a teenage friend who seems to like it cuz it's "expensive" I'm sure he means less economical than Axe....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried intoxicated today, it was boozy in the opening notes followed by chocolate gourmand. The drydown smells pretty "soapy" to me, it smells deep and dark and really reminds me of LIDGE and 24 Go dark, its possibly the bergamot coming through. Overall I like it, it smells like a dark version of straight to heaven but with something missing.

Smoke for The Soul is the most appealing

I am sampling these right now. Intoxicated is a sickeningly sweet chocolatey scent that reminds me of a bad imitation of A*men. Smoke for the Soul has a disgusting herbal smell to it, somewhat similar to oregano in the drydown. Light my Fire is the least offensive but only vaguely smells of smoke/tobacco and is totally uninteresting. Very disappointed in all 3.

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    I am sampling these right now. Intoxicated is a sickeningly sweet chocolatey scent that reminds me of a bad imitation of A*men. Smoke for the Soul has a disgusting herbal smell to it, somewhat similar to oregano in the drydown. Light my Fire is the least offensive but only vaguely smells of smoke/tobacco and is totally uninteresting. Very disappointed in all 3.
    Aw sheez, I was looking forward to these by the descriptions too.

Tried smoke for the soul today, my initial reaction was WOW, really did smell like smoke - sort of like a bonfire with smoke in the air!! It did smell a bit like cannabis but more earthy/leafy and it had a strong eucalyptus smell to it.I sprayed it around 8am , its not 4.30pm and I can only smell it a bit so around 8h longevity.

I'm not surprised by some of the feedback so far. After releasing so many syrupy sweet releases, By Kilian wouldn't know the first thing about creating both a genuine and satisfying masculine scent, IMHO.

Finally got around to trying the 3 new by kilians...

Smoke for the soul I suppose I do agree it smells a little like black afgano. However I think it smelled better off hand. Also I dont really think BA smells anything like weed, nor did my more heavy stoner friends lol. However smoke for the soul deff although maybe not a weed smell per say, it deff smells like a stoner kinda smell lol. Got a lot of the eucalyptus or whatever which kinda makes me think a bit of vicks vapor rub. Anyway I thought this was pretty nice. However in my one testing this did horrible performance wise. Very light, maybe last 5 maybe 6 hours if that. And after that it was a skin scent at best and even then there were times I couldnt smell it. Just came and went. I also durning the first part of this got a sorta almost boozy or alcohol smell to it as well which was kinda interesting. But perhaps that was a placebo effect due to the brand cant say for sure.

Rep told me light my fire was selling really well but i think it mighta been the worst for me. Cant think of really anything to relate it to, but for what its worth since it has honey hay and tobacco. I dont think it smelled like chergui. That being said I dont really get the hay note in chergui but in this I did.

Intoxicated was the most interesting I thought. On paper it really did remind me a lot of Amen. However on my skin it smells quite a bit different with just a bit of amen in the background. I was kinda blown away by how much of a coffee smell I got. One of the most dominate coffee sorta smelling fragrances ive smelled period actually. Not sure what specific flavor it is, but I want to say its like a spicey chestnut? Hazelnut? Nutmeg sorta coffee. This also performed the best for me. However I also felt kinda bored while wearing it, like I also felt if I sprayed to much of it on it would actually make me sick as well. Go figure. For me this is probably what pure coffee should have been back in the day. But even so I still think im looking for a better coffee scent. I feel like this is probably great for some actually but it just isnt quite the coffee frag im looking for. But I am impressed that it made me think of coffee. So many times I smell all this stuff that is supposed to be a coffee frag and it doenst remind me of coffee at all this one deff did though.

Anyway id like to try smoke for the soul again as I kinda did enjoy it in a novelty way but man it just did not do very well especially for the price.

Basenotes Plus

I got a men vibe from intoxicated as well. Honestly for me this whole series was disappointing to me. Each fragrance reminded me of something else i had all ready owned or tried. And when spending the absolutely stupid prices asked for a by kilian fragrance I think they could be a little more original.

damnit Kilian, what are you doing to me? The packaging is beautiful, the concepts are a little eye-rolling but generally make sense, you've got good perfumers and presumably a budget to create some nice juice, and all of a sudden you're just pumping out the series's with mediocre juice. The branding, packaging, and copy isn't going to save the juice, it's got to actually perform too brother, and it's so damn close but you've got competition, good solid competition. Damn guy, get your juice together. PS Mr. Ford, if you're listening, same applies you too buddy.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ywtF5mH2AQ i made a video of my opinions on this as well if anyone cares... *shameless plug*

So is Intoxicated a bust?

I think its the best of the new 3 myself. Like I said in my video maybe its skin chemistry but on paper although it smells like a*men(or really more so pure coffee) I think on skin the differences are much more noticeable. Ultimately for me I guess I think its to expensive for what it is. But I might get a decant of it at some point. I was pleasantly surprised by it myself.